2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

jaljax

Why Is Fortnite Such A Trend?

jaljax

I don't get it ... It look's very repetitive & boring , but that's my opinion..

It's maybe a trend because the Battle Royal mode is free? I don't know to be honest, but i do think the trend is very annoying & stupid ..

I never liked these type of game's , especially online based & the whole cartoon look to some game's exactly like Fortnite's perspective

I just wanted to make a thread about this topic because i honestly don't get it lol ... Such a stupid trend as I've stated previously.

luisniko

Well apparently the answer is just on the other side of what you said there

"I never liked these type of games"

The game is not made for you and there are other people with different preference in gaming. You wouldn't find the reason why just as much as other people out there wondering why you would spend time playing video game.

Audi

BR games can be fun with friends, but not so much solo in my opinion. BR is all the rage for now but even after the hype dies down it's got going away. I personally have a love/hate relationship with pubg, but as far as Fortnite goes it's just another autistic meme cartoon game for 12 year old kids in my opinion.

Kids man. Fortnite is full of kids. Not that adults can't enjoy it, no. I enjoy a round or two on the weekends as well and play PUBG mobile occasionally. But I think that kids and mommy's credit card are the main target audiences of Fortnite.

Battle Royale is an attractive and fun concept to many players. You have one single life, start without guns, parachute into the map and fight to be the last man standing out of 100 players. It can be quite exciting and thrilling because you have only one chance to win.

There's also the fact that a celebrity played fortnite on twitch, which got even morr attention. Since its a free game, all the kids are playing it right now. It's a hype beast, a trend every kid wants to follow.

I think it's funny how fortnite youtubers are excited about having x amounts of subscribers and whatnot. You're literally leading an army of children lol.

jaljax

Kids man. Fortnite is full of kids. Not that adults can't enjoy it, no. I enjoy a round or two on the weekends as well and play PUBG mobile occasionally. But I think that kids and mommy's credit card are the main target audiences of Fortnite.

Battle Royale is an attractive and fun concept to many players. You have one single life, start without guns, parachute into the map and fight to be the last man standing out of 100 players. It can be quite exciting and thrilling because you have only one chance to win.

There's also the fact that a celebrity played fortnite on twitch, which got even morr attention. Since its a free game, all the kids are playing it right now. It's a hype beast, a trend every kid wants to follow.

I think it's funny how fortnite youtubers are excited about having x amounts of subscribers and whatnot. You're literally leading an army of children lol.

I can tell you you've got a good point on that though .

I'd say i'd might play PUBG , but it look's the same sort of & I've never played it before ...

I 100% agree with your post though as it really evolve's around kid's & that's no problem,but anyway's it'll die down & eventually won't be a trend at some point.

OysterBarron

It's like that extreme rollercoaster we all had to go on when we were kids before you was classed as cool on the playground you know the killer coaster that you look back at now and find out you went faster on the way to the theme park because it has a top track speed of 32 mph.

Cosmic Gypsy
Posted (edited)

Can't speak on Fortnight but PubG became such a trend because their marketing team knew what they were doing. Before i even heard of PubG videos of it started showing up in my Facebook news feed with hundreds of likes and comments. All sponsored posts. They definitely knew how to get it out there. Fortnight was much the same i think, although I've blocked any page sponsoring posts with footage of both Fortnight and PubG because it's too much too often.

Basically, they knew how to market for kids, i think both games look sh*t personally. Pay some pages on Facebook to stream videos of it, pay some celebrity to play it, once you've done that it does not matter how bad the game is. People will play.

Edited by Cosmic Gypsy

Matrelith
Posted (edited)

Like you said, it's a trend. These things come and go.

Battle Royale games are popular at the moment, mostly because every game is different. You land somewhere else, the zone is somewhere else, you fight different people with different strategies, etc. This keeps things fresh. Take into account that Fortnite is free (hello PUBG), runs well on pretty much every system (hello again PUBG), is easy to get into, is played extensively by popular Youtubers (and the odd celebrity or two) and is getting updated pretty regularly, and you've pretty much got a hit.

Edited by Matrelith

Interface
Posted (edited)

I love Fortnite and play it all the time. The reasons for that are:

- it is FUN, especially when you play squads or duos

- like Matrelith said, every single game is different - all things can happen, sometimes in a ridiculous way

- the building ability is fun as hell, and it is something unique

- it constantly receives updates

- no pay to win, you just pay for skins and/or the battle pass if you want to purchase it

- developers actually communicate with the community, they tell us what they're planning, what they're doing, they adress feedback very quickly

Fortnite is not only for kids. That comic style allows developers to include many ridiculous and fun things. And I love it. :)

@jaljax: It actually is the extreme opposite of "repetitive and boring" IMO. I was very sceptical about that game, too. But when I started playing it, I didn't want to drop the controller. Maybe you give it a try, since it is for free.

Edited by Interface

xARMEDx
Posted (edited)

12yr olds + adderall

Edited by xARMEDx

JON22

Because people are sheep.

Jason

I think BR in general just took off cause it's fun and something different from your typical multiplayer shooter. Fortnite just got the perfect storm of BR, f2p and being the first to the party for console BR games - if another developer did it first they'd probably be in the same boat as Fortnite is now.

rebeldevil

I dunno. I gave it a try, since I'm generally not one to criticize something I'm unfamiliar with.

After playing it for a bit, I've decided I can't stand it. Played 5 rounds and the longest I lasted in any of them was about a minute before being gunned down by someone who happened to land somewhere with a weapon nearby.

I don't have the patience for that level of bullsh*t. If that's what you want, you can HAVE IT.

Shadowfennekin

Because of sh*tty trends and even sh*ttier taste

Purevil

Deathmatch community is massive. Plus It's free to play, multi platform and you don't have to pay to win.

VROmead

It's a trend because millenials are brain-dead for the most part.

Furry_Monkey

Who cares? Let people play what they want without making judgements on their mentality for it. It's like listening to manufactured music. I think it's garbage but I would never judge someone for liking it, unless of course you think that you choose what you like.

Don't like it - don't play it. Nothing more to it.

Turan

Solo it is quite boring. Play with friends and it becomes a lot more exciting.

Still doesnt warrant the immense popularity though. Good for Epic I guess.

HaRdSTyLe_83

its free. i have tried it, spent a couple hours with it, but without friends and without skillz :p it got boring very fast

Nick1020

Its free, its a Battle Royale and available on all platforms. Virtually everyone plays it. Especially middle schoolers. Every time they bring up games or I do, Fortnite is brought up. In my opinion, the Battle Royale trend is overrated and just a glorified last man standing mode. Once a big triple a title has its on Battle Royale mode, this trend will either die out from over saturation or people will play less of Fortnite or PUBG. Doubt it would hurt them though.

D9fred95
Posted (edited)

Probably because it took everything PUBG brought to the table and improved upon all of it. Better aiming, map, visuals. Especially visuals, Fortnite has a bit on an Overwatch look to it, colorful and cartoony. PUBG looks like DayZ which is already visually dull. Also Fortnite isn't the one claiming frying pans are exclusive "iconic weapons".

Edited by D9fred95

PoeticWhisper
Posted (edited)

-Free to Play with no Pay to Win

-It works on every platform and isn't plagued with bugs like PUBG on xbox.

-Battle Royale is an addictive formula. People get jazzed up off winning, and the drive keeps them going.

-It has a cool art-style and tons of unique skins emotes.

-Constant updates adding new features/gamemodes and limited time events.

Also celebrity endorsements and streamers helped a lot.

But the big one I think is the F2P. I don't think fortnite would even be close to this popular if it wasn't free.

Edited by PoeticWhisper

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

I 100% agree with you guys. In my opinion, Fortnite is terribly overrated. It's always the kids that has to ruin the game. I'm not saying that i hate the game, but it is repetitive. It's sorta like every multiplayer shooter game. You shoot that guy, and then you shoot another, and then you get a new gun, AND THEN you go to a new map, and then you shoot that guy on the new map, and then you camp and then UGH! It's boring written all over the place. But honestly, it's fun SOMETIMES...but after a while of playing the game, you feel like you are in a loop. But i'll look on the bright side, it is free.

Edited by Penguin Bob

CrysisAverted
Posted (edited)

I like Fortnite as game but don't find it very enjoyable though SCP: SL has been keeping me busy.

the co-op modes look neat but I haven't tried anything other than battle royale.

lol decide to sign into Epic to download Fortnite to try it out

a week later somebody tries to log into my account

a week from that it happens again

check epic

no sign of leaks

google returns tons of results of player accounts getting hacked and charged and epic seemingly doing nothing

lol wtf

Edited by CrysisAverted

KilnerLUFC

The irony of giving attention to something you're questioning as to why it's getting so much attention.

I've never played any of these BR games as not had the console or PC to try them out, but my nephews play the hell out of it and love it, and it's definitely something I could see myself playing every now and then if I could. Like many have said, the fact it's free is probably the sole reason this game has become so big, as it's accessible to absolutely everyone, and the cartoon style helps broaden the audience further.

I 100% agree with you guys. In my opinion, Fortnite is terribly overrated. It's always the kids that has to ruin the game. I'm not saying that i hate the game, but it is repetitive. It's sorta like every multiplayer shooter game. You shoot that guy, and then you shoot another, and then you get a new gun, AND THEN you go to a new map, and then you shoot that guy on the new map, and then you camp and then UGH! It's boring written all over the place. But honestly, it's fun SOMETIMES...but after a while of playing the game, you feel like you are in a loop. But i'll look on the bright side, it is free.

You've pretty much just summed up just about every FPS game though - only difference been the fact that all equipment is obviously collected in-match rather than through levelling up etc. It's free though, so I don't exactly get how anyone could really bitch about it at all - If it's not your cup of tea then move on and ignore it, simple as.

jaljax

Everyone that has replied has a good point about the game.

I tried it a while ago & couldn't get into it

OysterBarron

The irony of giving attention to something you're questioning as to why it's getting so much attention.

I've never played any of these BR games as not had the console or PC to try them out, but my nephews play the hell out of it and love it, and it's definitely something I could see myself playing every now and then if I could. Like many have said, the fact it's free is probably the sole reason this game has become so big, as it's accessible to absolutely everyone, and the cartoon style helps broaden the audience further.

You've pretty much just summed up just about every FPS game though - only difference been the fact that all equipment is obviously collected in-match rather than through levelling up etc. It's free though, so I don't exactly get how anyone could really bitch about it at all - If it's not your cup of tea then move on and ignore it, simple as.

If someone came up to you and put a bag of dog sh*t in your hand you would still bitch about it even though it was free. My point being is that the mentality of well it's free! shouldn't give a free pass forgive the pun to the devs or for that matter the community listening to constructive feed back from players on there opinion. After all if they can attract more players back with new features and address some of the gripes from feedback of lost players then maybe they can build something even bigger.

KilnerLUFC

If someone came up to you and put a bag of dog sh*t in your hand you would still bitch about it even though it was free. My point being is that the mentality of well it's free! shouldn't give a free pass forgive the pun to the devs or for that matter the community listening to constructive feed back from players on there opinion. After all if they can attract more players back with new features and address some of the gripes from feedback of lost players then maybe they can build something even bigger.

No, pretty sure I'd be bitching more about the fact it had been forced upon me, rather than me having the free choice of whether I wanted it in my hand or not. Pretty stupid and invalid argument to make. As I said, I've never played the game myself personally, but surely since it's release it's had tweaks, changes, improvements done to it. If it's still not your cup of tea then simply move on and forget abut it, it's not like you've actually lost out on anything, apart from maybe the feeling of wasted hours. I've pad upwards of £50 for games that have left me feeling robbed, now that is something worth moaning about.

PaeganLoveSong
Posted (edited)

My own takes...

-Battle Royale

As so many others have said, this is the current "in" of gaming. The subgenre's appeal touches on the growing alienation of the public, brought on through technological advancements and cultural changes. All trends in media, be it novel or film or game, either embrace or reject societal/technological progress.

-Gameplay

It's easy to pick it up and jump right in. The learning curve comes from utilizing the construction aspects properly, but those aren't necessities to performing well if you know how to shoot.

-Free

Seriously, this can't be overstated. Free-to-play games are always going to have a huge playerbase if they're competently made and advertised. Why pay $60 for a AAA title that's more limiting in gameplay than something you can download without spending a dime?

-Art design

It's flashy and goofy and cartoonish in an age where ever-growing realism in graphics is king. Parents don't feel bad letting their kids watch Elmer Fudd blow Daffy Duck's face off with a shotgun because it's done ridiculously, and that level of disconnect allows more focus on gameplay and less on the more sociopathic elements of shooters.

Do I like it? Nah. I hate the construction element and think the cartoonish nature detracts from the combat, but that's my personal opinion. Who cares if other people play it?

Edited by PaeganLoveSong

Chargr

With friends the game is fun, alone not so much imo.

The game is very repetitive, I can't play it more than an hour.