4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

True Crime New York City

ViceBoy69

I have been playing this a lot lately i have it on XBOX and PS2 it got bad reviews and Rockstar made fun of it, but if you look past the flaws it is actually in my opinion a good game.

Some of the graphic effects are really good, especially the night time, It has a lot of hints at GTA3 but looks better it is hard to say where its graphics fall its somewhere between SA and GTA4.

The worst part of the game is the clunky car controls, you are better off on a bike, i found a place on the map that takes you to one of the bridges out of New York, it looks unfinished and it has a really ghostly look about it.

If you are ever looking for something a bit different to GTA but in the same vain look this game up, its very cheap on PS2 and XBOX and also its available on PC.

• Like 3

It had too many bugs and glitches that ruined it but I still had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed it more than streets of LA.

I think they shouldn't have released it on the PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube they should have delayed it a year to release it on the 360 and PS3.

• Like 2

I got the PS2 version and it ran ok, but it crashes more than any other PS2 game I own. I read that the Xbox version is the most unstable version of the bunch, guess that's why it's not BC.

• Like 1

It had too many bugs and glitches that ruined it but I still had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed it more than streets of LA.

I think they shouldn't have released it on the PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube they should have delayed it a year to release it on the 360 and PS3.

I agree because it would've been a much more stable game & it would have been a lot more fun instead of dealing with a game that crashes every so often, but it's still a fun game even though it has many flaw's... I think it would have looked even more better on 360 & PS3 with more advanced graphics .

• Like 2

thanks for the replys i also own Streets of LA not as good a game but it seems to run better, both games are nice additions to my GTA wannabe collection.

• Like 3

I played this game a lot as a kid & I have to say it was really fun . The developers went onto make sleeping dogs which was a good game in its own right, I wish they would make a modern streets of New York because Im from New York and I think it would be awesome

Yeah, this game was great if you could get past the crashes and everything being unloaded constantly.

Really cool open-world system, lots of weapons, cars to unlock. Definitely worth a play.

• Like 1

Not played it but...I found it impressive how they were able to create a fully accurate map of Manhattan street-by-street. Quite a technical achievement.

Edited by Lock n' Stock
  • Like 2

I've been playing it again since this topic showed up the map is really large.

That said the game so extremely buggy and hard to control, it's ridiculous. Crashes to desktop aren't uncommon either. Peds, cars, shadows, building, all can randomly vanish.

• Like 2

This game creeped me out a lot as a kid. The first Palermo mob mission at the funeral home was spooky as sh*t. The mission at the church with all the goths scared me, and then the one where you had to escape the mental hospital.

This game creeped me out a lot as a kid. The first Palermo mob mission at the funeral home was spooky as sh*t. The mission at the church with all the goths scared me, and then the one where you had to escape the mental hospital.

Goth one wasn't too creepy for me, but the funeral home and mental hospital were freaky. Doesn't help the devs chose the most ominous music possible for both levels.

I remember really liking the True Crime series, both had huge maps and decent graphics for the time. Kinda wish they made another TC instead of Sleeping Dogs. I loved the melee emphasis on SD but hated the cheesy martial art angle it went for. Literally all AI, enemy gangster or civilian would fight back using martial arts.

• Like 2

Streets of LA was the one where you could play as Snoop Dog and other characters, right? Good memories. I remember both games having a ton of different buildings you could enter, which more games (*cough* GTA) need to do today.

Well the publishers eventually dropped the TrueCrime name altogether so i guess if somebody was willing they could pick it up again and make a HD version.

Wont happen but i can always wish :)

• Like 1

I was pretty disappointed with Sleeping Dogs (Wasn't a bad game of course) as I expected it to be more like True Crime, someone should make another game like that, where you respond to random crimes, can be a good cop or a dirty cop, (Have it make a bit more impact on the story than it did in True Crime) search people and cars stuff like that

• Like 1

I remember seeing the trailer for this game on tv. I used to love playing this on my ps2 over a decade ago and I still have it. But, I do remember the game freezes a lot. Ever since SONY had added more ps2 classics on ps3, I was hoping they would add this game and TC: SoLA on psn store. I do remember playing the first game at my friend's house. Sorry to go off topic but even The Getaway series was good too.

• Like 1

I had this game as a kid, one day I picked it up at EB's pre-owned not even knowing what it is or was at the time (It was an ex blockbuster rental traded into EB's) for the PS2, It's been years since I've played it and the disc is scratched beyond hell (I blame child me for that as I wasn't mature with taking care of my CD's till I was a lot older) but don't remember any crashes. Even if it's buggy as sh*t I wouldn't mind getting another copy for the PS2 or PC. I Tried emulating on PCSX2 it but apparently it runs like sh*t and you can't even get past the main menu's as there is texture glitches. I have LA somewhere for the PS2 (probably same condition as poor TCNYC) but found TCNYC more fun. I remember Freddy the taxi guy you do those missions for. Him and Marcus are the only characters I can remember.

^ I agree with the above poster, both getaway games were good and it was something different from the modern day GTA like games. Probably one of the few games during it's time to sorta be in an "open-world" like state in a modern day London setting. Only downside is there's nothing to do once you've completed the game besides do it again or do some mini-games on The getaway black Monday. I'm surprised neither getaway games have come on PS4 yet. If it was to come eventually It'll likely be on PSN's PSnow service which means I'll miss out because years down the line after PSNow's launch it's still not available here and no plans for it and to be honest I think I know why but I won't drag my post off the line any further then what it needs to be.

Edited by B7R
  • Like 1

I had this game as a kid, one day I picked it up at EB's pre-owned not even knowing what it is or was at the time (It was an ex blockbuster rental traded into EB's) for the PS2, It's been years since I've played it and the disc is scratched beyond hell (I blame child me for that as I wasn't mature with taking care of my CD's till I was a lot older) but don't remember any crashes. Even if it's buggy as sh*t I wouldn't mind getting another copy for the PS2 or PC. I Tried emulating on PCSX2 it but apparently it runs like sh*t and you can't even get past the main menu's as there is texture glitches. I have LA somewhere for the PS2 (probably same condition as poor TCNYC) but found TCNYC more fun. I remember Freddy the taxi guy you do those missions for. Him and Marcus are the only characters I can remember.

^ I agree with the above poster, both getaway games were good and it was something different from the modern day GTA like games. Probably one of the few games during it's time to sorta be in an "open-world" like state in a modern day London setting. Only downside is there's nothing to do once you've completed the game besides do it again or do some mini-games on The getaway black Monday. I'm surprised neither getaway games have come on PS4 yet. If it was to come eventually It'll likely be on PSN's PSnow service which means I'll miss out because years down the line after PSNow's launch it's still not available here and no plans for it and to be honest I think I know why but I won't drag my post off the line any further then what it needs to be.

I think PS Now is only for PS3 games

I think PS Now is only for PS3 games

I think you're right now that I've looked into it a little more. I swear I could recall PS2 games being part of the PSNow service but I guess I got that mixed up with the "upscaled / remastered" PS2 games on PS4 collection.

In that case if I'm desperate for TC again at some point, I'll just have to rebuy the game and set up my PS2 again.

I don't think we'll ever see it there Luxoflux the developers of True Crime streets of LA and True Crime NYC is gone and Activision let the trademarks to the True crime games expire. The only way we'll ever see it is if Sony or another company buys the rights.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1

I don't think we'll ever see it there Luxoflux the developers of True Crime streets of LA and True Crime NYC is gone and Activision let the trademarks to the True crime games expire. The only way we'll ever see it is if Sony or another company buys the rights.

Which will probably be never. The franchise is unfortunately dead in the water and I doubt Sony, Microsoft, Steam (Valve) or whoever is in any rush to buy the rights to it. Especially considering how buggy it is and it'll need to be reworked and fixed to bring it up to playable standards. If it was to come back I'd expect it to just be upscaled or emulated for modern generation platforms and a lot of soundtracks removed due to licensing expiring and that either means hunting down for new tracks or just leaving a huge gap and small library

So far as anyone is concerned, the only option is to pick up an old-gen copy and start playing from there

Edited by B7R
  • Like 1

All I know is my car irl is in the game but it still isn't enough for me to want to buy it.

bgc2XSG.png

I played True Crime LA though and it was average.

One of the strangest things about this game was vehicle variety. There's quite alot of different kinds of cars you can purchase from dealerships from station wagons to trucks to muscle cars and yet 95% of vehicles you find on the streets are all Crown Victoria's. It'd be like if San Andreas had all the vehicles we know and love but all AI cars would be Greenwoods.

Edited by D9fred95
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Is it weird that I played this before GTA? This was back then where I couldn't get an M rated game, and my brother had to buy it. (for himself of course) Often times, I would turn on the Xbox and start playing it without my brother even knowing. 😈 This game was really enjoyable, but looking back at it now, it had many bugs and glitches and the graphics are quite outdated. Not saying the game is bad, it was just really mediocre is all.

Pros: Story. It's surprising that this game has 2 endings. "Good Cop and Bad Cop." The story is really good at least for a 2005 game, and it's really deep.

The map and open-world opportunities: The map is just perfect. If you compare it to New York to the game's New York, they will exactly the same, which is awesome. Not only to mention that this game has ALOT of features that you'll never get bored of.

Cons: Filled with bugs and glitches: There are many texture lag in this game to the point where the textures won't even load up at all. It is possible for the game to crash, and sometimes constantly. There was even one glitch where you couldn't move at all, and it automatically starts a new game. This happened to UberHaxorNova on his youtube video. 

(it is copied to the part)

The driving mechanics are very clunky: Is it me, or does the vehicle's turning always makes me crash into something or someone? Not only to mention that it's pretty stiff.

So overall, I would give the game a 7.5/10. If you're a New York kind of person, like cop games, enjoys old/classic games, like deep stories, I would recommend this game!

Edited by xXPinguXx

What I find most surprising of the True Crime series is that reviewers seem to agree that L.A. was better, while anyone with any common sense would say N.Y.C. was better (assuming they could get the game to work).

L.A. was one big joke

Edited by Fireman
  • Like 3