3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

BUT THE BENZ

The BENZLESS factor

Jason

I mean he had absolutely nothing to do with GTAO's post-launch support, absolutely nothing to do with RDR2 and absolutely nothing to do with RDO.

But even than I'd be happy to move the thread if you fulfil my very simple request. 😘

BUT THE BENZ

...."jason", the benz directed GTA ONLINE. just sayin, fact! GTAO is still a success

RDO was directed by imran sarwar, fact! RDO is far from getting there

maybe RDO isn't doing so great, on a technical level especially (f*cking up BIG TIME if you ask me) because the benz is missing?! the houser bros snakes wanted to do their own thing without him before, RDR, but they had to come beg for his help to get it done ("darkness")

now they might have thought imran could do all the things the benz did, but look: the STUBBLE is still missing?! my horse is not bonding, stranger missions don't work, progress doesn't happen, animals don't spawn, disconnects.... how embarassing is all that? a day1 character creation bug and they do nothing about it? can they even do anything about it?!

the benz directed GTAO, he built/put together the FOUNDATION . the ones who followed and added/changed things, (imran and the gang) they could do anything and not f*ck the whole game up in the progress, because the foundation is strong and built wisely...or WHATEVER, you catch my drift. RDO on the other hand seems to be a schizophrenic unstable mess/success with problems left and right, all the time, sometimes, for some, for many....when it feels like it...day1 bugs re-occurring and whatnot!

I say, with the benz around RDO could already be the best online game ever....he's not around and it is absolutely not the best online game ever, far from it. it is broken and doesn't even work on so many levels

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

Jason

Rockstar's support for RDO has been terrible so far, I completely agree with you on that, but lets not play revisionism and pretend like GTAO was some rock solid, bug free paradise for the first year or so. GTA:O's launch was bloody awful with people losing progress or their entire characters for weeks after launch.

Regardless I don't particularly care either way because a game the size of RDR2 and RDO doesn't live or die by one man, just like GTA's of the past never, so, ya'know, the entire discussion is pretty pointless :^)

Spider-Vice

"but the benz", "jason", don't you get it

Jason
5 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

"but the benz", "jason", don't you get it

zTc03Zj.gif

Zello

tumblr_m1yiersG8K1r60ogoo1_400.jpg

The Benz

jje1000
3 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

...."jason", the benz directed GTA ONLINE. just sayin, fact! GTAO is still a success

maybe RDO isn't doing so great, on a technical level especially (f*cking up BIG TIME if you ask me) because the benz is missing?! the houser bros snakes wanted to do their own thing without him before, RDR, but they had to come beg for his help to get it done ("darkness")

now they might have thought imran could do all the things the benz did, but look: the STUBBLE is still missing?! my horse is not bonding, stranger missions don't work, progress doesn't happen, animals don't spawn, disconnects.... how embarassing is all that? a day1 character creation bug and they do nothing about it? can they even do anything about it?!

the benz directed GTAO, he built/put together the FOUNDATION . the ones who followed and added/changed things, (imran and the gang) they could do anything and not f*ck the whole game up in the progress, because the foundation is strong and built wisely...or WHATEVER, you catch my drift. RDO on the other hand seems to be a schizophrenic unstable mess/success with problems left and right, all the time, sometimes, for some, for many....when it feels like it...day1 bugs re-occurring and whatnot!

I say, with the benz around RDO could already be the best online game ever....he's not around and it is absolutely not the best online game ever, far from it. it is broken and doesn't even work on so many levels

I would say that based on what we're seeing so far, the 'direction' of RDO is flawed- it needs to be less than a PvP arena where everyone is an outlaw (how boring, we already have SP for that), and more a Westworld-style roleplaying MMO sandbox that provides players with opportunities to choose their role in the world- some lawful, some violent, all while partaking in the innate emergent storytelling and the dynamic in-game economy that comes out a sandbox.

Because right now there are tons of shooters, and many have better gunplay and mechanics that are more suited for the """game modes""" and """battle royale""" that they're pushing in RDO. Like what I've said in other threads, RDO has to take advantage of the amazing world that was made for RDRII, instead of lobotomizing it and making it feel like a set of PvP stages. And on top of that, there's the technical shortcomings, immersive limitations (i.e. no voices), and I still don't know why they're pushing a B-level story onto everyone.

I feel like RDO wasn't developed with any higher vision or plan, and that it was basically the framework of GTAV copied-pasted. And that because the nature and pace of GTAV and RDO are different, it doesn't fit well, IMO.

Also an interesting sentiment by Barrera, perhaps revealing more of his sentiment about Rockstar's direction:

“If I had stayed at Rockstar it would have been more GTAs, more RDRs and less of this other stuff going on out there right now.”

I have a gut feeling that Taketwo will restructure Rockstar at some point in the near future- while Rockstar puts out massive blockbusters, I doubt the development costs are to be laughed at, and their output has slowed considerably. In the eyes of Taketwo, Rockstar might not be considered an "efficient" company.

Edited by jje1000

O.Z

This thread is pointless and waste of bandwidth tbh.

Benz who? 

10 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

Lol, I’d say try taking Benz’s b***s out of your mouth. 

Rockstar just delivered their best game in a decade, I don’t see the problem at all.

Edited by O.Z

Jason
13 hours ago, jje1000 said:

Also an interesting sentiment by Barrera, perhaps revealing more of his sentiment about Rockstar's direction:

Barrera's comments are really misleading without the context. He said that after stating he wanted to get involved with the emerging tech in the games industry (VR/AR/etcetc). It's not really an indication of anything Rockstar are doing now or in the future.

jje1000
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Barrera's comments are really misleading without the context. He said that after stating he wanted to get involved with the emerging tech in the games industry (VR/AR/etcetc). It's not really an indication of anything Rockstar are doing now or in the future.

Yes, I doubt he can fully predict what Rockstar will do in the future, but it does show that he has a belief that Rockstar will continue to put out GTA-RDR-Bully-style games. He literally stated that it was like leaving a monastery going to the DICE conference, and he also says this:

I looked at what I would be doing for the next few years if I stayed on and where I was in life with my family, my kids, my desire to make cool s**t.”

I feel that there are those guys here and there are people who want to make this artistry progressive and I want to be one of those guys again.”

Combine these with the original statement, and it forms a more complete image:

If I had stayed at Rockstar it would have been more GTAs, more RDRs and less of this other stuff going on out there right now.”

I believe that he must be privy to some knowledge of what Rockstar has planned for the future- considering that he was 'Vice President of Development' after all.

Edited by jje1000

Jason

Yea he was the VP of Development and was at the company for 20 years and by the sounds of it left amicably (unlike say the Benz). He's not gonna say something that can be taken negatively.

He left because he wanted to get involved in other stuff that's going on the industry, he probably had his fill of AAA video game development. Rockstar continuing to make Rockstar style games isn't something of note or some surprising insight into the studio. Rockstar (and Take-Two) aren't really investing heavily into VR/AR and other emerging tech in the games industry at the moment so it makes sense to leave the company if he wants to get more involved in that stuff.

There is nothing in his comments that give any insight at all into what Rockstar are doing now or in the future beyond continuing to make big games, and there's certainly nothing that gives any insight into what Take-Two will do with the studio in the future either.

Zello

Jimbatron
On 2/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, BUT THE BENZ said:

Sorry but I just don’t buy this. Did you play GTAO at launch? It had a fraction of the content it did now, and the economy was a mess. It only really started to take off as a success when Heists finally arrived - long after the Benz had left.

Theres no doubt the Benz is incredibly talented, as are the Housers. Talented people with big egos in large corporations tend to fall out. However R* is much bigger than it was 10 years ago and any inidividual inevitably becomes less important as a company scales.

Delays in MP is just classic R*. They are always behind in what they do. Every title gets delayed substantially. I’d go so far as to say it’s part of their company culture, pursuit of perfectionism trumps deadlines every time. As a result they’ve barely started Online by the time the game is released as they’ve been running behind with finishing the actual game. Again, see GTA Online, launched later than the game and with technical difficulties - including a server crash that wiped thousands of players characters after the first few weeks.

It doesn’t surprise me RDR O is lacking in content right now, the model they’ve established with GTA is to build it up over many months. I’ve not played it yet, but if it is suffering I’d say it’s more likely the fault of money men in Take2 wanting to grab unrealistic amounts of micro transaction money too soon, rather than it having anything to do with R* personnel.