2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

BUT THE BENZ

The BENZLESS factor

KonradGM

As far as i'm aware he was a executive producer am i right? So his jobs were mostly of a director where he decided on gameplay stuff etc and overall feel of the game? But still it's the programmers graphic designers etc that create the game, and other executives, that pull the string, i have strong feeling even from the previews that the game will have a lot different feeling than other rockstar games, being less funny/satire most likely?

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

As far as i'm aware he was a executive producer am i right? So his jobs were mostly of a director where he decided on gameplay stuff etc and overall feel of the game? But still it's the programmers graphic designers etc that create the game, and other executives, that pull the string, i have strong feeling even from the previews that the game will have a lot different feeling than other rockstar games, being less funny/satire most likely?

Did you play RDR? It's not especially funny or satirical either, maybe just with a few specific missions or characters. I'm expecting probably a pretty similar tone to the last one.

And yes, he was a producer, not even involved in the game until it was almost done, either. Per his suit, he stepped in to help them fix issues with the camera and other bugs - to shepherd a mostly-finished project to completion. (For reference: RDR was released May 10, 2010; the emails cited in The Benz's lawsuit, where Sam Houser asked him to help out with camera problems, were sent end of October, 2009, and then the game was "finished within a few months." On a project as technically ambitious as RDR was, there is no way the game wasn't basically done when The Benz stepped in; you can't do a whole lot to a massive AAA open world game in a few months, other than test and fix things.)

Edited by Nutduster

mombo2811

Im not sure what to expect... I want to think that Rockstar can do better without The Benz but Im keeping my exceptions low until I see gameplay.. Sad that I have to say this, I used to think they could do nothing wrong but after no SP DLC, GTA Online and shark cards... I dont think they care for SP or how their fans experience their games

Spider-Vice

I dont think they care for SP

Did you read any of the RDR2 previews? With confirmed features that people saw with their own eyes and not just speculation?

Ash_735

I dont think they care for SP

Did you read any of the RDR2 previews? With confirmed features that people saw with their own eyes and not just speculation?

But at the same time, as a long time veteran here, I remember previews for past games, Rockstar tend to show features to the press that get cut from the game, remember the whole climbing telephone poles to get a vantage point in GTA IV?

Spider-Vice

Those previews were done much earlier in the game's development however.

letsgoraptors
Posted (edited)

I feel les was the one with the balls to be controversial.

If he was in charge, this game would have full blown indian tribes scalping people and doing moonlight raids.

He wasn't afraid of being politically incorrect.

Edited by letsgoraptors

Spider-Vice

That's up to the writer of the game, what happens in it. Which has been Dan Houser since forever. The Housers were never afraid of controversy, they went through Hot Coffee and many other things themselves.

Keith_The_Triangle

If he was in charge, this game would have full blown indian tribes scalping people and doing moonlight raids.

The game takes place in 1899, that would be entirely unlikely in that time period. As a student of history and future history teacher, I find this weird fetish-ization of "savage" Native Americans to be weird and very unflattering to you as a person. Study up on Native American culture and try to get a better understanding of them outside of what you've digested in mass media. A great book for this is "Lies My Teacher Told Me". Give it a read if you're at all interested

CaptainMarvel

Oh lord, a meme account related to The Benz.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Uh, the native Americans were decimated by 1899. There were a couple hundred thousand left per census figures from the time. That's down from an estimated original population of anywhere from 2 to 20 million. It would be extremely historically inaccurate to feature them in a major way, or have giant battles with scalping, etc.; most of the tribal remnants by then were just hanging on for dear life and petitioning the federal government for the return of their lands.

Also, given the reputation of the Housers and what The Benz's suit says about their management style, I don't think you need to worry a lot about them being too "politically correct." They have gotten very slightly more mature, however, which is a welcome change; I don't need them to keep remaking the cheerfully nihilistic GTA 3. Their newer games have much more depth.

Edited by Nutduster

_Klebitz_

So, now you are mythifying this guy, right?

CaptainMarvel

So, now you are mythifying this guy, right?

Yes.

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

this needs to be a STICKY....just look at all those WHAT'S YOUR GANG'S NAME and WILL WE HAVE SAFHEOUSE threads since the RDR section is on top...

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

KY Jello

Benz was in charge of V but we didn't have purchasable safehouses in SP same with IV...

Gray-Hand

Take2 CEO Strauss Zelnick: benz is a dying star. A white dwarf headed for a black hole. That's physics. It's inevitable.

Take 2 President Karl Slatoff : We've been handed an incredible opportunity here, Howser.

Zelnick: The universe... is talking to us right now. You just gotta listen.

[turns on T-Pain's Apple Bottom Jeans and begins to dance to the beat]

Zelnick: See, this is the good part, Howser. This is when the job gets fun! Ask... and you shall receive!

Slatoff: [dancing along] Right...

Zelnick: You play ball... we play ball. I knoowwww... you want the goodies!

Slatoff: Welcome to the goodie room!

Zelnick: You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Howser! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!

Slatoff: Swinging past ya knees!

Zelnick: Big dick, baby!

Slatoff: Yep.

Zelnick: [turns off the music] Or... you can grow a conscience in the next five minutes and see where that takes you.

Dan Howser: Let me get this straight. You want me to sack my executive producer of 23 years, one of my best friends, While hes on sabbatical, for some money and a G5?

Zelnick: Yes.

Howser: [pause] A G5 airplane?

Zelnick: [whispering] Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa!

[turns on the music and dances again]

Mister Pink
Posted (edited)

I think The Benz is a great programmer that can make ideas into a technical reality. While he's obviously, immensely talented, I know of other games that got made that are functionally great and are exciting to play. Like those that mentioned RDR before Benz did some polishing was almost complete. I don't think Benz is the only guy that can do what he does. In fact a fresh pair of eyes will be exciting.

If the Housers are the ideas men, what's needed is someone who can translate those ideas into code and make them work. That's a tough job. No doubt, the Benz was a legend for that. I'm also concerned about his hand in GTAOnline. Perhaps it started off as a novel idea but the way it's monetized and the freemium model stinks. The freemium model may not have been his idea. I'm guessing it was a marketing executive's decision. Certainly seemed like a decision from someone of business rather than from a gamer's perspective.

I hope they focus on user-needs better this time. That means, grind-free gaming and not feeling that someone has an advantage due to monetary circumstances. If user-needs are met and there's customer satisfaction, paid DLC updates will seem very inviting. I don't care about dividing the audience. If I want to go to a concert with friends, we all must pay for the ticket. If you can't afford the €15 to get some decent DLC, then tough-tits. Sell an old game, wash neighbours windows, do some overtime, cut neighbours grass, don't buy those beers and save a little. Less updates but big DLC. Make DLC compatible in SP first and foremost.

I don't think Rockstar will have anything to lose if they can prove themselves as being great storytellers and SP developers in RDR2. They can certainly do it without the Benz. We'll see how great The Benz is with his Everywhere project, which I hope will be successful for him.

Edited by Mister Pink

The Algerian

"You're a wanted man, Mr The Benz"

KY Jello

Take2 CEO Strauss Zelnick: benz is a dying star. A white dwarf headed for a black hole. That's physics. It's inevitable.

Take 2 President Karl Slatoff : We've been handed an incredible opportunity here, Howser.

Zelnick: The universe... is talking to us right now. You just gotta listen.

[turns on T-Pain's Apple Bottom Jeans and begins to dance to the beat]

Zelnick: See, this is the good part, Howser. This is when the job gets fun! Ask... and you shall receive!

Slatoff: [dancing along] Right...

Zelnick: You play ball... we play ball. I knoowwww... you want the goodies!

Slatoff: Welcome to the goodie room!

Zelnick: You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Howser! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!

Slatoff: Swinging past ya knees!

Zelnick: Big dick, baby!

Slatoff: Yep.

Zelnick: [turns off the music] Or... you can grow a conscience in the next five minutes and see where that takes you.

Dan Howser: Let me get this straight. You want me to sack my executive producer of 23 years, one of my best friends, While hes on sabbatical, for some money and a G5?

Zelnick: Yes.

Howser: [pause] A G5 airplane?

Zelnick: [whispering] Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa!

[turns on the music and dances again]

LMAO dancing Strauss Zelnick

MARKUS.
Posted (edited)

let's give them an opportunity, maybe we get surprised for good

if not, what is most probably, I will quote this post and say... "well I f*cked up"

Edited by MARKUS.

Gray-Hand

Benz: This is the Benz. I have the entire GTAOnline development team from Rockstar North with me. For $150 million, you can have them back.

Zelnick: Okay, Benz. f*ckface. First, take a big step back... and literally f*ck YOUR OWN FACE! Now, I don't know what kind of trans-Atlantic bullsh*t power play you're trying to pull here, but Rockstar North, Jack, is my studio. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again. Otherwise I'm gonna have to head over there and I will rain down an ungodly f*cking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the f*cking United Nations and get a f*cking binding resolution to keep me from f*cking destroying you. I am talking scorched earth, motherf*cker! I will massacre you! I WILL f*ck YOU UP! [hangs up; to assistant] Find out who that was.

letsgoraptors
Posted (edited)

The game takes place in 1899, that would be entirely unlikely in that time period. As a student of history and future history teacher, I find this weird fetish-ization of "savage" Native Americans to be weird and very unflattering to you as a person. Study up on Native American culture and try to get a better understanding of them outside of what you've digested in mass media. A great book for this is "Lies My Teacher Told Me". Give it a read if you're at all interested

Read the book 'empire of the summer moon '.

Native Americans did scalp people and did do moonlight raids.

Good luck with your history teaching buddy, hope it goes well.

That's part of my point, they've set both games in an era where the west was actually gone pretty much gone IRL.

In fact, there are historical inaccuracies in rdr1.

Edited by letsgoraptors

Gray-Hand

Nah.

When the games are set, and how the characters in the story behave, is up to the writers (ie Houser), not The Benz.

BUT THE BENZ

ahahaha....the benz ruined the GTA franchise...this thread is hilarious beyond beliefs...and come october it will be bumped, again and again!

Nutduster

With any luck this stupidity will be locked by then. This is nothing more than uninformed speculation.

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

no it is not, and with a clear pair of eyes it's not that difficult to see really. It's not my fault people spam the thread with parody and what not, instead of adding to the "discussion"

and you know, a mod could just delete those posts, but this is THE BENZ we talk about, any attempt of a smear campaign is a welcome, I guess.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

Gray-Hand

Metacritic rating of R* games that the Benz worked on:

As producer: average 92.2

GTA3: 97

GTAVC: 95

GTASA: 94

GTALCS: 88

GTAVCS: 86

GTA4: 98

GTALatD: 92

GTABoGT: 88

As executive producer : average 91

LA Noir: 89

MP 3: 87

GTAV: 97

As producer and development director: average 71

Manhunt: 75

Manhunt 2: 67

As a guy who turned up during the last couple of months to tweak a couple of things:

Red Dead Redemption: 95

So it seems like, the more responsibility The Benz had in the development of a R* game...

BUT THE BENZ

you seem to FORGET that the game was simply stuck in development hell, that your beloved SAMMY SNAKE HOUSER thought it was soooo whack that they could not have the game go "gold" in that state. I don't care if it was 99.9 % done, just a finger snap away from completition - it would not have become GOTY, for all we know, it would not have even been released, if the benz didn't indeed snap his fingers.

you guys trying to argue that away is just, mindboggling? (blind fanboyism?! I don't know...)

anyhow, your GOD sam houser was quoted and sh*t at his lowest point (begging, in CAPITAL LETTERS) and still you say OH THEY COULD HAVE IT DONE WITHOUT THE BENZ...IT WAAS AS GOOD AS DONE....

yeah lel, go re-read that e-mail excerpt where your "god" is asking for HELP...asking no other than the most talented guy he knew capable of doing the job

the joke is on you people, you people!

Gray-Hand

Take2 President Karl Slatoff: Wow. 5 Game of the year awards, 11 million copies shipped, and you saved Rockstar Studios.

Take2 CEO Strauss Zelnick: I couldn't have done it without you.

Slatoff: Really?

Zelnick: No, dickhead. Of course I could. A nutless monkey could do your job. Now, go get drunk and take credit at all the parties.

Slatoff: I wouldn't do that.

Zelnick: Ah... joking.

Slatoff: Ah, there he is! Funny. You're a funny guy.

Zelnick: Yeah. But seriously, a nutless monkey could do your job.

Keith_The_Triangle
Posted (edited)

Read the book 'empire of the summer moon '.

Native Americans did scalp people and did do moonlight raids.

Good luck with your history teaching buddy, hope it goes well.

That's part of my point, they've set both games in an era where the west was actually gone pretty much gone IRL.

In fact, there are historical inaccuracies in rdr1.

Yes, you are right. They set both games in the death of the west, thats the entire point!

Also I never once disputed that Native Americans scalped people or did moonlight raids. But if thats all you care about/use for the game, then you are reducing an entire culture down to a savage fetish you seem to have that has plagued all Native American cultures for years.

Americans scalped just as many people, possibly even more, than Native Americans ever did. There were instances of pioneers slaughtering peaceful tribes and scalping them to sell off as another tribe that had a bounty on their head. So do not give me this fetishized version of reality unless you really want to see how savage Americans were to the Natives. It gets pretty f*cking grizzly my friend.

And as a matter of fact I have read Enpire of the Sun and Moon. I have also read several historical reviews of it, and the book is littered with inaccuracies and bias for the invading white peoples. But I guess that doesnt matter much to you, you seem to like a distorted reality

Edited by Keith_The_Triangle