Someone must delete this thread

Benz is gone

KY Jello
Posted (edited)

If BUT THE BENZ was in the same room with The Benz he'd have a heart attack

Edited by Zello

BUT THE BENZ

why would I? nah man....

listen you all seemed to have gotten it wrong from the start. I simply admire the man for his genius ideas and his work, since I know he is pretty much responsible for the best games of my wonderyears, the games we all love! that is it.

I see him as a unique person, and the way he had to go was a scandal if you ask me, just sayin

Mas u Sees

why would I? nah man....

listen you all seemed to have gotten it wrong from the start. I simply admire the man for his genius ideas and his work, since I know he is pretty much responsible for the best games of my wonderyears, the games we all love! that is it.

I see him as a unique person, and the way he had to go was a scandal if you ask me, just sayin

Except, you do not know that!

Rockstar Games has always worked as a team, according to The Benz himself, he did not have any Game Design roles in the previous title.

It is such a scandal, how he is taking credit for what the entirety of Rockstar achieved, this man is a shame, nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmy

This won't be the first company to carry out their ventures even after a major important figure's (Benz) departure. The games are tailored and structured by a team of talented individuals, not just a single influential personality. If the game turns of be really great, the Housers are long overdue for appreciation.

BUT THE BENZ

guys, PLEASE, don't give me that IT IS TEAMEFFORT bullsh*t.....I KNOW that and in not ONE sentence in this or other thread(s) have I ever doubted that. to the contrary, but who cares, you certainly don't.

and also I have said that I would be the LAST person on earth to welcome R* games into their downfall a la YAY R* IS DONE THEY DON GOOFED LOOK AT THER BUGGY sh*t GAMES NOW THEY WORSE THAN UBIFAIL SMH - just why don't you get what i'm saying? I have said it in so many combinations of words...words words words.

I want to not realize/see/feel the BENZLESS factor when I play future R* games...I want to sleep, to forget...and see the quality I am accustomed to when palying a R* game. neverthef*ckInless the benz came to work for R* and the company suddenly produced super awesome sh*t for the masses, reaching the peak when it was declared the most selling entertainment product? ever....!

to downplay the roles of this man is absurd (HE gave you RED DEAD REDEMPTION, ffs, your beloved SAM SNAKE HOUSER begged him to help because he had noone else to go to and the game just wouldn't WORK propperly) and to say, "this man is a shame"....what a spineless comment

it is you, who's trollin the issue, clearly

Mas u Sees

guys, PLEASE, don't give me that IT IS TEAMEFFORT bullsh*t.....I KNOW that and in not ONE sentence in this or other thread(s) have I ever doubted that. to the contrary, but who cares, you certainly don't.

and also I have said that I would be the LAST person on earth to welcome R* games into their downfall a la YAY R* IS DONE THEY DON GOOFED LOOK AT THER BUGGY sh*t GAMES NOW THEY WORSE THAN UBIFAIL SMH - just why don't you get what i'm saying? I have said it in so many combinations of words...words words words.

I want to not realize/see/feel the BENZLESS factor when I play future R* games...I want to sleep, to forget...and see the quality I am accustomed to when palying a R* game. neverthef*ckInless the benz came to work for R* and the company suddenly produced super awesome sh*t for the masses, reaching the peak when it was declared the most selling entertainment product? ever....!

to downplay the roles of this man is absurd (HE gave you RED DEAD REDEMPTION, ffs, your beloved SAM SNAKE HOUSER begged him to help because he had noone else to go to and the game just wouldn't WORK propperly) and to say, "this man is a shame"....what a spineless comment

Everyone is talking to you like you are a childish 12 year old, because you articulate and behave like a 12 year old.

Along with your profile picture and signature, you just look, like one of the easies of trolls.

I really won't spend more time talking to you, until you have finally grown up.

Also you are approaching things with confirmation bias, with your absurd perspective on Leslie and the Housers.

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

okay friend. your opinion is best, it is ONLY I shall say, undebatable! you clearly don't know the full story and get hung up on some typos. sorry, my daughter is around me most of the time when I'm at home and sometimes I just don't re-read what I typed out. anyhow, all good really, you don't need to accept anything I say (would it hurt though?), well, because you don't have to. good day sir!

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

TheExecutor10

@BUT THE BENZ

What is your goal?

There is no reason to debate whether or not his depature has a big impact on the end result of the games R* produces.

We will all find out this Fall. For now though, this discussion is pretty pointless.

You are obsessed with a man you don't even know. That is not good. Maybe look for a new activity in your freetime, like playing football, making photos, or even just play games instead of talking about the developers behind them.

KY Jello
Posted (edited)

I think a new pair of eyes being in charge would do R* a lot of good. Look at the stories games made by R* leeds they introduced empire building and CTW wars gave us drug deals. I don't think R* North likes to think outside the box too much. Sure The Benz was involved in them and helped but maybe with him gone they try more new things.

Edited by Zello

Mas u Sees

I think a new pair of eyes being in charge would do R* a lot of good. Look at the stories games made by R* leeds they introduced empire building and CTW wars gave us drug deals I don't think R* North likes to think outside the box too much. Sure The Benz was involved in them and helped but maybe with him gone they try more new things.

On that note, the Benz, scrapped Rockstar Leeds concept of Cops and Crooks(which would have been quite a lot of fun I imagine) and replaced it with GTA Online.... :blink:

Spider-Vice

Cops and Crooks was part of GTA V's main development pipeline which means it was likely conceptualised at North (or NYC I guess?). Where did you get Leeds from...?

Mas u Sees
Posted (edited)

Cops and Crooks was part of GTA V's main development pipeline which means it was likely conceptualised at North (or NYC I guess?). Where did you get Leeds from...?

I did some research about the Design staff at Leeds, and what they worked on, during the time V was in development.

There is an interesting story that went down, but I right now, I unfortunately have no time to get all the details together.

Tomorrow, I am going to try find all the stuff I found and what I think happened at Leeds during V/Online development.

But what I can say now, is that a huge part of Rockstars Design Team is at Rockstar Leeds, the main Designers are there and many GTA V missions(for example the Singleplayer Races given by Tao were designed by R* Leeds employees.. But details tomorrow.

Edited by Mas u Sees

Gray-Hand
Posted (edited)

You have admitted that dont even know what he did!

You have no idea what it is specifically (or even generally, really) what noticeable difference his contribution made to any game he had a role in developing!

Your devotion to him is pure blind faith based on ... I really dont know... you definitely havent articulated it.

A summary of this thread:

ButTheBenz: The Benz was great!

Everyone: What made him so great?

ButTheBenz: His greatness!

Edited by Gray-Hand

Spider-Vice

I did some research about the Design staff at Leeds, and what they worked on, during the time V was in development.

There is an interesting story that went down, but I right now, I unfortunately have no time to get all the details together.

Tomorrow, I am going to try find all the stuff I found and what I think happened at Leeds during V/Online development.

But what I can say now, is that a huge part of Rockstars Design Team is at Rockstar Leeds, the main Designers are there and many GTA V missions(for example the Singleplayer Races given by Tao were designed by R* Leeds employees.. But details tomorrow.

Looking forward to see your finds.

Auditore

If Rockstar was a character in super smash bros their special move would be a call to THE BENZ?

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

*sighs*

some of these comments, they're like "replies" to something which I haven't even said.

what the benz did I already mentioned! he put all things together, made the stuff FLOW, just had the KNOWLEDGE of taking a, b and c and putting it under one hood to make sh*t RUN propperly. he fought the DARKNESS, when nobody else could! but that's me, who am I to say that? well, want your best pal DAN to say it?

5:00 to 5:15 -->

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

BUT THE BENZ

You are obsessed with a man you don't even know. That is not good. Maybe look for a new activity in your freetime, like playing football, making photos, or even just play games instead of talking about the developers behind them.

back then, before I became a family man, in my free time I played GTA 3, SA, VC, IV, V, Max Payne 1-3, RDR, L.A. Noire and a few other games...but mostly these games, all of them produced and overseen by the benz, that is my point, and that's all I try to say. that he was THERE all the time, and now he's gone!

this is the end of an era, it's personal to me. oh, and believe me I am not obsessed with him. I just know credit's due where credit's due.

Gray-Hand

Yeah, I dont think anyone is saying he doesnt deserve credit for the games he worked on.

But it diesnt mean that a game he didnt work on isnt going to be just as good.

To be honest, I dont think that there will be any noticeable decline in quality of games produced by Rockstar following the departure of The Benz. None.

It sounds like as a senior manager, his job was making sure that all the teams involved in making a game were working together and at the right pace so that the stuff that is x team needed to work with y team to complete component z of the game by May so that team q and team j could start work on component m together so that it was ready at the same time as component v which team H would be finishing up.

A good manager would be able to keep everything on schedule so that everyone is working and no one is left twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone else, or worse having to scrap work they already did because it usnt Compatible with something else.

With a lesser manager, everything still gets done, and gets done well provided the qa is good (and it always is at Rockstar), it just probably takes longer.

So to the extent that The Benz absence will be noticeable at all, it wont be in the finished product, because Rockstar doesnt let bad products go to market. The delay of course, has been noticeable and may very well be due to the loss of an exceptional manager.

Cozzi

back then, before I became a family man, in my free time I played GTA 3, SA, VC, IV, V, Max Payne 1-3, RDR, L.A. Noire and a few other games...but mostly these games, all of them produced and overseen by the benz, that is my point, and that's all I try to say. that he was THERE all the time, and now he's gone!

this is the end of an era, it's personal to me. oh, and believe me I am not obsessed with him. I just know credit's due where credit's due.

Kifflom. The almighty powerful BENZ awaits you in the after-game.

Nick1020

We will see if Leslie Benz was bluffing or telling the truth. What R* did to him was f*cked up but that doesnt mean hes Rockstar himself.

Jimmy

We will see if Leslie Benz was bluffing or telling the truth. What R* did to him was f*cked up but that doesnt mean hes Rockstar himself.

If he did lie, it'd be a big screw-up for him. Will be the end of whatever reputation he has that has allowed him to call out the Houser's bluff.

Ash_735

I think what people should consider is the FALLOUT from the Benz situation, yes he's just one man, but Rockstar North lost so many key members who just contribute to the feel of the GTA series, I doubt we'll see a major influence until we get a new game from Rockstar North however, whenever that will be. As for outside influence, only key thing I've noticed so far is this new artwork for RDR2, I think this is one of the first major arts we've got since Stephen Bliss and Ian McQue left Rockstar after The Benz incicdent and you can tell, it's good, but stylistically different from previous Rockstar arts (not counting the pale imitation art for GTA Online).

Nutduster

Man am I tired of this myth-making about the Benz. First of all, we have very little information about his role at Rockstar other than what he said himself - in a lawsuit against them, no less. He has every incentive to exaggerate his importance and downplay everyone else's, because many millions are on the line.

Second, even by his own admission in that lawsuit, he was barely involved inn developing RDR. He came in at the last minute to fix bugs and make the game stable. That's nice and all, but any implication that the success of the game is owed entirely or even mostly to him, that's ridiculous. The much-lauded story and characters were not conceived by him. Nor the missions and random events and map design, all the activities and things that made the game so atmospheric. Everything that anyone loved was already there before he got involved. So let's calm down a little.

And as others have said, he also alleges that GTA Online was his baby and the Housers didn't care about it. It launched with shark cards, and it was probably those initial revenue figures that prompted Rockstar (maybe at the behest of Take Two) to continually push the game further and further that direction. There are many good aspects to Online, but also one very terrible one, and for that we can almost certainly blame him. (A major point of his suit is "Look at all the shark card money - That's because of me! I should get a slice!")

What will RDR2 be like without him? I have no idea. Now you should admit that you don't know either.

Journey_95
Posted (edited)

I can easily imagine how GTA6 would be different to GTA3-5 if the Howsers stepped away from the writing and were replaced by, say Hideo Kojima or Rhianna Pratchett. Its easy because I am familiar with their style and I know what they do differently to other writers.

I have absolutely no idea how RDR2 will be different to RDR1 with The Benz gone. Thats because I have no idea, and no one seems to know, what The Benz did differently to anyone else who has a similar job, and how that affects the final product.

Seriously - there has to be some The Benz acolyte out there who can explain what The Benz does differently and what effect it has on the final product.

Agreed this thread would be understandable if the Houser brothers were the one's who were dumped..now that would be awful since Rockstar's writing (even if flawed at times) has a special feel to it that you can't replace.

People need to get over the Benz already. OP's obsession especially seems unhealthy, lol

Edited by Journey_95

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

I never mentioned that, but I was apporached a couple of times via PM and asked what's up with me and this benz thing? ESPIONAGE! People I thought to be legit, but now they're gone, and it seems weird. the BENZ is clearly a thorne in someone's eyes.

btw, what we saw in trailer#3 and in those photo-shop'd screenshots = the good, and the bad = the BENZLESS factor

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

docholladay1976

Wasn't The Benz only input in RDR was fixing an issue with the camera angles and panning?

BUT THE BENZ

he fixed the whole damn thing from what I've read. it just wasn't stable, he managed to put it together, and even then/now the game can glitch quite easily and often (uncommon for R* games)

without the benz (don't know if SAM knew someone else who could have done it, apparently IMRAN wasn't ready back then) RDR might have been stuck in development hell forever. you know, all those R* devs wives complaining about slavery-like treatment and not-cool work conditions etc

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Wasn't The Benz only input in RDR was fixing an issue with the camera angles and panning?

Basically yes. But good luck explaining that to the tinfoil hat contingent.

he fixed the whole damn thing from what I've read. it just wasn't stable, he managed to put it together, and even then/now the game can glitch quite easily and often (uncommon for R* games)

without the benz (don't know if SAM knew someone else who could have done it, apparently IMRAN wasn't ready back then) RDR might have been stuck in development hell forever.

1. Again, that's according solely to his own lawsuit.

2. Even by his own description he was a glorified bug-fixer and project manager, and only for the final months of the game when it was probably 90% complete before he stepped in.

I look forward to your many nitpicks of this game when it's out, all supposedly due to the lack of Benz.

Edited by Nutduster

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

Basically yes. But good luck explaining that to the tinfoil hat contingent.

without the benz (don't know if SAM knew someone else who could have done it, apparently IMRAN wasn't ready back then) RDR might have been stuck in development hell forever.

1. Again, that's according solely to his own lawsuit.

2. Even by his own description he was a glorified bug-fixer and project manager, and only for the final months of the game when it was probably 90% complete before he stepped in.

I look forward to your many nitpicks of this game when it's out, all supposedly due to the lack of Benz.

dude, are you saying the benz FAKE-quoted a desperate sam houser begging him to help sam get out of that DISASTER, since sam had noone else to call and was a wreck etc? he showed you QUOTES of that!

because that sounded like, THE GAME JUST WONT RUN PROPPERLY, AND WE CANT RELEASE THAT BUGFEST!

of course, to me at least, the benz did not just fix bugs, he created a more stable core and structure for the game, so it would not glitch ALL the time and be a buggy mess from start to finish!

he got the FOV and shoulder cam in place etc...VITAL stuff for the experience.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ