Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,289 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

JumpingKentFlash

Glassdoor.

JumpingKentFlash

Check out the app Glassdoor. Theres a ton of reviews about working at R* - Boh good and bad from current and former employees.

Some of the reviews I felt like yikes, must be the worst place ever.

It makes me think that if I worked there, I would be able to make that work environment a lot better, if I had the backing of the top brass. I have 10 years of experience working at a storage facility and being in charge of the daily work environment. Im sure I could do it, but companies like R*i guess are more likely to hire some well known life guru, if anything at all.

Hmmm nice bike

I think Rockstar overall sounds like a terrible place to work, going by those reviews. I like how one pointed out that Sam Houser is pretty much a douchebag who is willing to lash out at anybody, and they're all walking on eggshells around him. With a boss like that, I don't think you'd be able to make a better environment. Houser is clearly a miserable and self-centered jerk who is fine with the way things are (and going by what Leslie Benzles accused him of in the court documents, it sounds like Houser also allowed an environment with numerous workplace violations, including blackmailing employees by taking pictures of them in sexually-compromising positions with prostitutes).

Given that he was already frantic about RDR's development going horribly and sending that email to him saying "I need the Benz!" I'm sure he's even worse now that he hasn't got the Benz to run to for help when he needs it.

JumpingKentFlash

Well, yeah. Pretty much this. No person can change anything if the management isn’t behind them. I’d do something like make 2 or 3 shifts, so the development goes pretty much 24 hours a day, but without the stress.

Legomanarthur

I enjoy reading them from time to time, it sure feels very different than what I expected of working for Rockstar when you see the games they have made.

Hmmm nice bike

it sure feels very different than what I expected of working for Rockstar when you see the games they have made.

Yeah, when you look at the company reviews for Volition (the makers of Saints Row), you'll notice how that studio appears to be way more laid back, relaxed and catered to the workers there. Of course, lately they've made some really sh*tty decisions and I almost get the impression that they've become too lazy of a company, but I haven't heard much about it being a completely terrible place to work. And even during the development of earlier titles like SR1 and 2, I haven't really heard any negative things about them. I guess it helps when you're a smaller and more tightly-knit group and when your boss isn't a raging megalomaniac who gets paranoid and fires one of his most loyal employees over the order their names are placed in the credits because he thought he was trying to take over the company.

Rucke

I think it's fair to say that Sam Houser is a complete narcissist. But then again, a lot of bosses are.

Hmmm nice bike

I think it's fair to say that Sam Houser is a complete narcissist. But then again, a lot of bosses are.

Personally, I've dealt with more narcissistic co-workers who liked to think they were bosses, rather than actual bosses like that. Everyone's experience is different of course, but at Rockstar it's especially prevalent.

A Playboy article about Houser mentioned that he rides to work on a pink racing bicycle and that he's an avid practitioner of yoga. GTA V's development log shows that the yoga minigame was broken for a very long time. Any other sane developer probably would have reduced the yoga part of the mission where Amanda leaves Michael to just a cutscene and cut the minigame in favor of actually fun things to do, but instead they had to work on it while they fell behind on other fixes (and completely stopped working on a Cops n' Crooks style GTA Online in favor of what we have now). I honestly have little doubt that he was adamant about forcing yoga on everybody just because he likes it and somehow thought that would make a fun minigame. He also probably went scuba diving once and thought "holy sh*t, we need to map an entire sea floor in GTA, people will love this."

Spider-Vice

In that discussion of CnC, remember, however, GTA Online was Leslie's idea and the Housers were not interested, as per the lawsuit (Leslie's side):

https://scribd.com/doc/308200451/The Benz-v-Rockstar

Page 16:

43. The Houser brothers had little interest in GTA Online, and did not focus on its development, all as reflected in Bugstar

Bugstar being Rockstar's internal bugtracker.

uNi

^ added a page for bugstar on the wiki. Let me know if anyone has more info about it.

Spider-Vice

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/981853648866160640

Extremely surprising, given there's quite a lot of female developers at Rockstar North... Also ironic they leave out women in this way, given there are several developers part of the LGBTQ community, and if they accept this, I'm not sure why this gap between the binary genders even exists.

Doesn't put R* in much good light right now. This is unfortunately a problem in the industry in general, but for R* to be the one with the highest gap in the UK, I mean, what's up with that?

Edit: North has reacted.

In a statement sent to GamesIndustry.biz, studio director Andrew Semple said: “Rockstar North is fully committed to maintaining an equal opportunity work environment, where diversity is extremely highly valued and men and women are equally paid for equal work. Like much of the interactive entertainment industry, there is gender disparity in our workforce, particularly at senior levels where our team has been with us for many years.

"We are proactively working to decrease this disparity and we look forward to seeing representation of our female colleagues continue to grow in all roles and at all levels as we actively recruit, train and encourage women to pursue career opportunities at Rockstar North and within our industry.”

mombo2811

^ added a page for bugstar on the wiki. Let me know if anyone has more info about it.

Link to wiki page?

Nico

I wonder if this guy has always been like that, or the increasing wealth that came along with the success of the games of his company -I refuse to call them "his games" for this very reason- corrupted him along the way. Some people just can't handle success. Or they are just assholes from birth, and the money worsens them.

Indi
Posted (edited)

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/981853648866160640

Extremely surprising, given there's quite a lot of female developers at Rockstar North... Also ironic they leave out women in this way, given there are several developers part of the LGBTQ community, and if they accept this, I'm not sure why this gap between the binary genders even exists.

Doesn't put R* in much good light right now. This is unfortunately a problem in the industry in general, but for R* to be the one with the highest gap in the UK, I mean, what's up with that?

Edit: North has reacted.

In a statement sent to GamesIndustry.biz, studio director Andrew Semple said: “Rockstar North is fully committed to maintaining an equal opportunity work environment, where diversity is extremely highly valued and men and women are equally paid for equal work. Like much of the interactive entertainment industry, there is gender disparity in our workforce, particularly at senior levels where our team has been with us for many years.

"We are proactively working to decrease this disparity and we look forward to seeing representation of our female colleagues continue to grow in all roles and at all levels as we actively recruit, train and encourage women to pursue career opportunities at Rockstar North and within our industry.”

Makes a lot of sense to me and isn't surprising to me. Not too be edgy or controversial but the games at R* don't really attract women nearly as much as men. The company has always been male dominated and that is heavily installed in their environment and won't be changing anytime soon.

If women want more money. Don't work at Rockstar. If you don't want to work long hours. Don't work at Rockstar. That is their company culture. The top dogs at Rockstar have been there since the beginning and are old school. That includes Sam and Dan. Andy Semple has been there for f*cking years (GTA 2 days; around that).

Edited by Indi

Jason
Posted (edited)

That's not really the reason as to why there is a gap though, their official reason isn't bullsh*t. They're a studio that tends to retain the top talent (at least until the The Benz thing) and as a result the senior positions are made up of the old guard, who come from a time when video game development was not seen as a really viable and serious career choice, or one that attracted female developers. It's a very different industry now and it'll naturally start to even out as more and more women get into the industry. They aren't the only old, long standing developer who have this problem either.

Edit: To clarify, this report is to do with pay, not with the gender split for employees. It is heavily skewed towards male because the top, highest paying positions are the senior positions which are, again, held by the long-serving veterans of the company.

Edited by Jason

uNi

Link to wiki page?

It's on my sig.

Spider-Vice

Rockstar North's official report

Btw, of course, I know that the supposed gap also happens because positions aren't directly compared and because there are more male employees in higher positions, but the gender pay gap is reality in many places in the gaming industry, so it's not impossible that R* suffers from the same thing even when comparing equal positions, which was what I was trying to get across. Obviously these articles do have some nuances missing, but still, it shouldn't even be a thing.

Indi
Posted (edited)

That's not really the reason as to why there is a gap though, their official reason isn't bullsh*t. They're a studio that tends to retain the top talent (at least until the The Benz thing) and as a result the senior positions are made up of the old guard, who come from a time when video game development was not seen as a really viable and serious career choice, or one that attracted female developers. It's a very different industry now and it'll naturally start to even out as more and more women get into the industry. They aren't the only old, long standing developer who have this problem either.

Edit: To clarify, this report is to do with pay, not with the gender split for employees. It is heavily skewed towards male because the top, highest paying positions are the senior positions which are, again, held by the long-serving veterans of the company.

You could be right :). I wonder what Rockstar would be like if women did get the top positions... probably a very different Rockstar. Rockstar has already changed a lot within the past 5 years. They'd have to be fairly masculine women (at least in their ideals) if they were to still have that Rockstar style to it.

No disrespect to women at all but these games are targeted for blokes. I don't want watered down games that cater to women as equally as men. If girls are into it as they are, that's cool, but god I don't want it watered down. That's what I'm trying to say, maybe women would never get the top positions in Rockstar (at least to make really important creative decisions) due to the fact that they are women. That isn't surprising to me. If the women can prove they won't change Rockstar into a pro-feminist (maybe not even pro-feminist; I'm just trying to say that I don't want feminine games) company that's fine by me.

Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill is a cool example of a strong female protagonist. If they'd go down that route that's cool. I'm trying to cover all the corners due to the way people jump the gun these days. I don't think their official reason is bullsh*t either but it would not surprise me in the slightest if women would never, ever get the top creative positions. At least with Sam and his cohort in-charge.

So yeah, I think it's less of an issue with "the women get less money but the men are on more money for the same position." I think the statistics just say that women aren't higher up in the ranks (and I mean really at the top) maybe because they are women (which is my opinion on it, I don't have any concrete evidence) and it's because they haven't been there for as long as the men -- which as you said, is true.

I'd imagine the women developers there are generally cool with how the games are... otherwise, why work there? I've made my point anyway. I don't know if I'm right but I'm almost certain if a woman was in-charge Rockstar wouldn't really be Rockstar anymore... but hey, sh*t, who knows right? I'm not one to jump to conclusions easily :p.

Edited by Indi

Ash_735

Rockstar North's official report

Btw, of course, I know that the supposed gap also happens because positions aren't directly compared and because there are more male employees in higher positions, but the gender pay gap is reality in many places in the gaming industry, so it's not impossible that R* suffers from the same thing even when comparing equal positions, which was what I was trying to get across. Obviously these articles do have some nuances missing, but still, it shouldn't even be a thing.

Just to point out here though, in the UK it is illegal to pay workers differently based on their gender or sexual orientation. The UK report is strictly that, the higher positions are held by Men because they've been with the companies longer, it brings an interesting point about sexism when it gets to the point where I don't agree with and that is what should the solution be? Is it fair to fire the men at the top and men in other departments just to try and bring the numbers down to equal measure? Joining these kinds of studios now you'll most likely start at the bottom of the food chain, male or female, so it's just a case of transitioning over the years and sticking with it, there are more women in gaming these days, but a lot of them are green, new, just entering these companies compared to the men at the top who have been there for 20 / 30 years. It's about sticking with it and pushing yourself through the ranks until you're in a position you're happy with, it isn't going to be an over night change, you can't just click your fingers and say "Oh look, half my workers are female, half my workers are male, peace at last".

I'm just annoyed when the Gender Pay Gap issue is tried to be pushed in the UK because it's not about gender, it's about class, for example that "Shock" quote about how Women only earn 36p to every £1 a man makes, well, a man in the same position would be making 36p to every £1 the other man makes too. Or even better, the complaint the article makes about how there's MORE women in the starter/entry roles, that's like YES, THEY'RE NEW, WHERE DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO BE?

Hmmm nice bike

I wonder if this guy has always been like that, or the increasing wealth that came along with the success of the games of his company -I refuse to call them "his games" for this very reason- corrupted him along the way. Some people just can't handle success. Or they are just assholes from birth, and the money worsens them.

Either one wouldn't surprise me. I kind of wonder how his brother Dan is in comparison. We don't know as much about him since he's more on the creative side of things as opposed to management, but Sam strikes me as being a complete jagoff. He actually kind of reminds me of Trump in some ways.

Zello
Posted (edited)

Maybe a lot of R* new hires come in with dreams of adding stupid sh*t to their games like having kids or turning GTA into the sims and the Housers insult them calling them stupid and that they'll never do that sh*t.

Edited by Zello