3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Jack Lupino

Things you hate the most about Vice City

Evil empire

You can't play gang wars like in San Andreas which is very strange since Tommy Vercetti is supposed to be a badass-alpha-male-kingpin at the end of the game. All you can do with your Little Haiti companies is just protect them from the Haitian gangsters. A set of repeatable missions to prevent the Haitians from attacking your company and a decreasing income if you don't do anything would add to the immersion and the length of life as well.

On this point and especially since you can't own any company in your enemy gangs' territories CJ and GTA San Andreas are largely more consistent.

Edited by Evil empire

Reyiz Kovan

Some Car controls 

Xane123

I seemingly have nostalgic bias towards Vice City, so there's not much I can think of hating in it. Then again, I only played around, never actually going through the story, but here's two things I wish it had that were only added in San Andreas:

Swimming: with how much water is around this city, it seems strange Rockstar wouldn't think about swimming before the next game. Good luck doing anything if your vehicle falls into the water and the driving on water cheat isn't enabled!

Never wanted cheat: I seemingly like the VCPD due to how dumb they can be, driving into explosive tanks, but I can't go killing everyone on the sidewalk without a bunch of identical men with blonde hair becoming my only opponents instead of the variety of pedestrians.

MysteryDriverX

It's my favorite GTA but I agree that it makes no sense that you can't swim in a map that's mostly water and has a huge beach. I wonder if those swimming mods are good, I'm gonna look for one right now.
I also agree with jaljax that Auntie Poulet's missions feel out of place.

gtafaninwest

Getting a wanted level real quickly for even shooting two gang members.

Grotti Vigilante

One of the things I disliked about Vice City is that it seemed to lack any indications of where to go next. I mean how am I supposed to know that you need to complete the asset missions to unlock the finale? I don’t remember there ever being a prompt for that aside from the mention of being able to buy property. But that doesn’t mean I would know it was necessary. 

Also, the mission The Driver. It is the most pointless and unrewarding mission ever. We take part in an unfair street race in a car not designed for it against one that is more suited to it, all to prove to a potential driver that we are better than them, which is stupid anyway given the basic logic, and then he only up and dies later so you have to drive away anyway. Why so much effort and frustration for nothing? 

FlexiveFowl

Same thing I hated about GTA III on console, no free aiming for weapons besides rifes and launchers. Also no swimming, and not enough non-asset missions. 

SorveteQuente

The ammount of storyline missions is tiny compared to all the assets missions that are not required. I know you need to complete a minimum 6 assets to progress to the final missions, but it still feels like they're just filling in empty space to me. Not counting all the gang side missions too (Haitians, Cubans, Love Fist, Big Mitch Baker...).

Evil empire

The tiger cabbie is a poisoned present, that thing oftenly turns upside-down when you take a turn too bluntly.

The ability to make the taxis jump is another poisoned present since it oftenly makes them land a wrong way.

The fact you can't listen to the radio anymore after completing the Kaufman cabs missions makes playing the taxi job even less funny as if this job didn't basically have enough downsides.

universetwisters

The sh*tty map. 

It doesn't even feel like a city, it just feels like a racetrack dressed up as a city.

Hmmm nice bike
20 hours ago, SorveteQuente said:

The ammount of storyline missions is tiny compared to all the assets missions that are not required. I know you need to complete a minimum 6 assets to progress to the final missions, but it still feels like they're just filling in empty space to me. Not counting all the gang side missions too (Haitians, Cubans, Love Fist, Big Mitch Baker...). 

I think that the game having only 66 missions total can at least be a little forgiven since it took only a year to develop, and it's still more missions than what GTA III had (and 66 missions in only one year make GTA V's 69 missions after 5 years of development even more unforgivable for that game). While Vice City was a great game nonetheless, a lot of aspects do feel quite rushed and it feels a bit un-polished in some areas (mainly when you look at certain building textures that are noticeably terrible, especially in the mainland part of the city).

10 hours ago, Evil empire said:

The ability to make the taxis jump is another poisoned present since it oftenly makes them land a wrong way.

What was the point in even making the taxis jump? Seems like a really useless feature that they figured they'd add as another incentive to complete the taxi missions, but if you wanted to really make cars end up gliding through the air, the flying cars cheat served that purpose way better.

Kawaii Sapphire ☆

Beta removals. Moffat's mission would've been a good filler, if they made you apply all your skills. 

The Hearse was supposed to be parked at Funeraria Romero. I hate it being mission-exclusive. I know it can be obtained easily with a cheat, but if you're playing for the first time and aiming for 100% completion, you won't be able to do so (using cheats lock 100%).

No swimming. I can't still believe they didn't code swimming for such a city bordered by a big water body.

The damn map. I like the way some parts stay true to the 80's Miami, but as stated by other users, the beach is oversized.

Evil empire

-The paramedic job is as boring as in GTA 3. This sub-mission would be much better if you had to save the victims in the streets with heart massaging and automatic defibrillators like in Saints Row 2.

wfank
Posted (edited)

Vice City is one of my most fav game ever, but I just hate cops constantly interfering when I am up against the Haitians or The Army at the base. I got the game in 2004 for pc and finished 100% without cheats in 2005 and only learned of cheats around 2007. But you just can't enjoy gang wars like in SA (which I got in 2006), although cheating is stupid, in SA I did finish the whole story along with the final mission  the only cheat I ever used was AEZAKMI just to have fun against the Ballas and Vagos, those amazing gang wars and just random fights to get respect.. The gang stuffs is the reason I like SA more than VC (though SA has far more features, as does even VCS the portable game, gang fighting makes me addicted to GTA since GTA 2). In VC there are no gang wars, but you could still have fun with gangs, the Cuban-Haitian story, then after blowing their drug factory you become their target for the rest of the game. And I would just love firing back at them every time they come charging at me with gun fires, but the damned COPS just wont LEAVE ME ALONE! (Same issue with GTA 3 NOPOLICEPLEASE, but was never addicted to GTA 3 as much as VC and later games, was just too gloomy, only fished the story once and dropped it right after I got VC)  Just one hit from their stick (especially if you have low health after a fight) you would fall down and be busted, lose all weapons and even your current outfit ! I find Vice City far easier than SA and don't need cheats for any mission (like I said I did everything, 100 % completion before I even discovered cheats), but if I want to have some other fun, I just can't do it without typing Leave Me Alone every now and then. The cop outfit in Cop Land, it should have allowed us to do whatever we want without police attention after the mission just like in the mission before blasting the mall. But that is not the case, not even if you wear it on vigilante mission which you still get police attention despite working for them, and the mission fails if a cop spawns out of nowhere and before you know it opens the car door and you are busted. To sum it up what I hate most about GTA VC is the VCPD poking their nose every time you want to have fun, and they themselves are corrupted a**h*les anyway. The only reason I play VC now and not SA is VC is shorter and less time consuming and I just can't manage time to play big games like GTA SA and GTA 4 anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about VC except the damned VCPD ....

Edited by wfank

TheSantader25
On 12/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, Evil empire said:

-The paramedic job is as boring as in GTA 3. This sub-mission would be much better if you had to save the victims in the streets with heart massaging and automatic defibrillators like in Saints Row 2.

At least it could be better if they let you listen to the radio but NOPE. 

Evil empire
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

At least it could be better if they let you listen to the radio but NOPE. 

Also, but the main problem remains the fact you always have to keep coming back and from the hospital running long distances. You can't listen to the radio in San Andreas either when doing the paramedic sub-mission but the fact you can do it in a small village makes this activity largely less boring.

-Shooting missiles with precision while piloting a Hunter is impossible. Playing the vigilante sub-mission using this helicopter would be much funnier if you could aim your enemies using the mouse and lock them like in Saints Row 2. At worst Rockstar could have introduced a precise crosshair in the subjective view because in the vanilla game the mounted warheads are nearly useless.

Edited by Evil empire

Samz707

No swimming despite the large amount of water/Introduction of Police boats, I have a mini-heart attack every time i jump off my boat in fear of falling off.

Finding the clothing markers for certain outfits gets annoying since they're unmarked

PS2 aiming is horrible.

Being reset to street clothes on busted/wasted.

Tear gas being removed after the ps2 version instead of fixed.

The new weapon models, I know it's for copyright, but the longer and wooden ruger on the original ps2 version is way cooler than the shorter black plastic version they changed it to.

Evil empire

-You only have one fighting style available which is a bit boring after a while. With 3 combat styles available in addition to the default one GTA San Andreas offers much more diversity and the Las Venturas wrestling mode is largely more enjoyable than Tommy's way of fighting.

-Tommy's movements with melee weapons are very repetitive don't seem natural at all. In GTA San Andreas CJ's movements are much more diversified and look much more natural.

TWIST_OF_HATE

I hate VC in general. 

Today I completed VC story for the first time in my life, and it was annoying and boring in most case's. 

Just understand that, I completed III story 5 or 6 times, and may be will do it again someday. 

But VC ...

Most likely I will never boot up this game again. F*cking joke. 

Beato_dim
On 1/6/2019 at 9:05 PM, Evil empire said:

-Shooting missiles with precision while piloting a Hunter is impossible. Playing the vigilante sub-mission using this helicopter would be much funnier if you could aim your enemies using the mouse and lock them like in Saints Row 2. At worst Rockstar could have introduced a precise crosshair in the subjective view because in the vanilla game the mounted warheads are nearly useless.

But why missiles though? Hunter's machine gun makes short work of any ped/vehicle, AND it auto-aims (somewhat, but it is enough).

perennial

I don't think the Hunter missiles need any aim assist, the Vigilante sub-mission is laughably easy with the Hunter compared to other law enforcement vehicles.

Evil empire
14 hours ago, Beato_dim said:

But why missiles though? Hunter's machine gun makes short work of any ped/vehicle, AND it auto-aims (somewhat, but it is enough).

The missiles are here so Rockstar should have made them more useful.

11 hours ago, perennial said:

I don't think the Hunter missiles need any aim assist, the Vigilante sub-mission is laughably easy with the Hunter compared to other law enforcement vehicles.

It depends of the place, when you're in an area filled with high billboards, signs and stuff it's not that easy.

Edited by Evil empire

perennial
10 hours ago, Evil empire said:

It depends of the place, when you're in an area filled with high billboards, signs and stuff it's not that easy.

It's easy to accumulate a lot of time after first few levels so that's not really a problem. There are no Hydras to shoot you down either unlike in SA. The only challenge IMO is not blowing up your Hunter accidentally.

PaddsterG2k3

The map on reflection is great for its interiors and some of its locations. Taking away the interiors - then the map is one of the weakest in the series.

Evil empire

The safehouses are just nice exteriors you can't visit and the only enterable one excepting the hotel is an empty nutshell filled with hallways.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Losing my same class weapon and all its ammo after rampages. 

Edited by TheSantader25