Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,204 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Mr. Leisurewear

[RDR-CELL-XENON|RAGE-V]Red Dead Redemption knowledge base

Mr. Leisurewear
Posted (edited)

RDR knowledge base - Path to Rage(n)lightment

Who am i ?

Hello i identify myself with the nickname "Mr Leisurewear" (from the nickname that Trevor gave Steve haines in one of the mission),

and in my spare time i hold myself busy with graphics programming and game programming , as this is also my profession it interests me a lot.

3 years ago i started to look into the file formats from Red Dead Redemption, because i have little time available it took me some time to gather enough info about the game.

Soon a small group of people gathered around me and we started converting the whole map of RDR inside V PC which you may have known from the hyped "high profile mod Red Dead Redemption V"

Link to the forum thread

Shortly after i was contacted by Take Two to cease my activities , as to why you can look that up in the thread.

So one year goes by and nothing changed on RDR's front , and we are nearing 1 year after the alleged C&D of our project so i decided to share my knowledge to the gta community.

What the community does with this info is entirely up to them, i hope by dropping this quite large knowledge it creates some momentum towards more Redemption stuff :)

I will be dividing the info up into sections of interest like -> META (Text , xml , tune , etc...), GFX (Graphics), SYSTEMS (Anims , sound, cutscene etc...)

I will be adding info more and more by the day as i continue to find more stuff as i'm constantly researching RDR expect more to come.

I can only do some pieces per day because of time limitations so if it seems a little bit too little of information please wait a few days :p

You can always hit me up on PM for more info !

All of this info will aply to both platforms , CELL and XENON are mostly interchangeable

- Standard information

-Rage Package Files [xenon, cell] .RPF

• Version 6
  • Big Endian
  • Encryption: for the Table Of Contents : AES Rijndael16 , key is inside the XEX or ELF executables of each platform , which is 32 bytes long, sometimes key of certain paltform is interchangeable with other platform
  • Encryption: Blocksize = 128
  • Encryption: Key size = 256
  • Encryption: Ciphermode = ECB , no padding
  • Get the Table of Contents data block size by doing -> Rpf6Header::entryCount * 20
  • Directory and filenames are Hashed using the Jenkins One At A time (JOAAT) Hashing algorithm
  • The name table containing the names of each directory and file (hash) is located inside the TOC after all the entries
Header: (size = 0x10)	magic 		: int32 : 4b	entrycount	: int32 : 4b	unknown		: int32 : 4b	encrypted	: int32 : 4bToc: (starts right behind header block) (tocentry size = 0x20)Direntry:	nameoffset	: int32 : 4b	flags		: int32 : 4b	contententryindex	: uint32 : 4b	contententrycount	: uint32 : 4bFilentry:	nameoffset	: int32	: 4b	size		: int32 : 4b	offset		: unt24 : 3b	Resource Type	: byte  : 1b	flags		: uint32 : 4bData block

-Rage Package Files [cell] .RPF inside an .SDAT file

• On the PS3 the game downloads a certain amount of files inside the blu ray rpf to the internal hdd , these files are again packaged into an rpf but contained inside a Secure Data pack file (.sdat) , the file is entirely encrypted and can be decrypted using the "make_npdata" tool (google is your friend). Simply feeding this file inside the command line tool will give you the RPF and can be opened with the information above.

-Reading RPF files (Pseudo code)

• coming in the next edits

-Magnificent streaming AKA RSC's (ReSource Container files)

-Before you read everything else !

• In order to accomodate the insanely (by today's standards) small memory sizes of both the 360 and ps3 Rockstar decided to make everything streamable from a certain device. If a certain resource isn't needed anymore it can be unloaded from both the system and graphics memory.
  • PS3 uses 2 seperate memory pools , the system memory which is accessible by the cell processor and the graphics memory which is accessible by the RSX graphics processor. Both are 256MB large.
  • The 360 does it differently it uses a unified memory environment of 512MB large which both the cpu and the gpu can access.
  • Therefore the RSC exists; which is a streamable file who's internal format is divided up into memory pages which can be easily relocated to find a suitable place inside the ram to fill up every piece of memory available efficiently.

-Dissecting a Resource container

• The real RSC data is contained inside the 16 byte size header (0x10)
  • Resource Container example>The header of an RSC (size = 0x10) (not always !!)	magic		: int32 : 4b	version 	: uint32: 4b	SysBitfield	: uint32: 4b	GfxBitfield	: uint32: 4b
  • Not all the RSC's used in the game contain two bitfields however all of the RSC's use at least the Sys bitfield , the Gfx bitfield is only added if the RSC also contains a Graphics segment more on that later.
  • Ebq1wN1.png
  • Notice that the magic "RSC" is actualy backwards ? , this is because both system's processors work in the Big endian order which is the least signifcant byte is first , in V / IV / Payne this will be RSC on the pc versions because intel chips use Little Endian. Therefore in C# tools you need to have a adapted Bianry reader that swaps the bytes on the fly in the stream.
  • After these 16 bytes the actual file begins where the game data is stored.

-What kind of gibberish is underneath there ?

• To save space on certain media devices these RSC files are compressed.
  • Xenon rsc's use the proprietary LZX compression method which is exposed as a framework inside the Xbox development kit which only licensee's can get.
  • Unfortunatly the method is entirely known and i will post info about that too.
  • Cell rsc's are much simpler , just like the PC streamables for every other rage game they use the commonly used ZLIB Deflate algorithm
  • You can identify ZLIB compressed files by this ZLIB header bytes
  • iG9MpEE.png
  • ZLIB has multiple compression types which generate slightly different header each time , but rockstar uses only compression type which is the BEST COMPRESSION type
  • Identifying an LZX header
  • 6qcraNV.png
  • LZX header actually has some 2 byte header trailer , which can vary based on the file.
  • After these headers the file begins.

-Decompressing both platform RSC's

Coming in next edits

-GFX

• Coming in the next edits !

Loading more data....

Edited by Mr. Leisurewear

Smallo92

Do you still plan to update this?

Mr. Leisurewear

Hi there , i ghave been been really busy with work , so i couldn't post anything more.

i plan todo some more updates this summer tho , but i can't really promise anything sadly ,as my time schedule is pretty variable :/