Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,285 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Hallvar

Aerial combat, dogfight tactics.

middevonclown

Something I've learned, and this may be obvious to some of you dogfighting pros, but I'll mention it anyway: Don't fire your missiles the second you get a lock on - choose your moment wisely, and be aware of your recycle time. It's very frustrating to fire two missiles and then find yourself in a better position a second later with no weapon available.

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

I like to hold the lock for awhile, make em sweat, see them pull evasive maneuvers

That lock on noise freaks me out, always have to get ahold of myself when someone gets a lock on me, and remind myself I can more than likely dodge whatever they shoot.

I don't think I've ever been shot DOWN in my Starling, but sometimes the controls will get knocked out, and all I can do is launch up to the ceiling until I decide to bail.

So dogfighting against Deluxos, easy? Hard? Same as killing anyone else? I have a tough time against them, myself.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Smooth Longsack

Use your camera.

Don't use thruster when headed downward.

Anticipate your opponents heading and shot there.

Basically, fly like this:

Cool vid.

I see the opponent do some kind of stalling while flipping around so it looks like he is flying backwards for a bit while he shoots and gets the kill!

Thats some next level sh*t. How?

You can fly most of the planes backwards. Just point directly straight up and feather your airbrakes and extend the landing gear till you slip backwards. Then pull in the landing gear and fly backwards. It takes a bit of practice.

Hallvar
Posted (edited)

Oh that will deffos be tried out!

Imagine the face of the dead person when you flip and shoot them haha!

Ive never fought a deluxo in a plane before as i am new to planes.

Edited by Hallvar

Smooth Longsack

flexcreator

So dogfighting against Deluxos, easy? Hard? Same as killing anyone else? I have a tough time against them, myself.

Very easy. Just dive at them.

Same as fighting the Helicopters.

No helicopter, no Deluxo can gain altitude as fast as the fighter Plane / Jet.

If you have an opponent in heli / deluxo - fly straight up. They won't be able to catch up in terms of altitude. At this point, opponent is nothing more than a ground target - dive and kill the helpless player like you do with any target on the ground.

If you already have missles on you, do circles while gaining altitude. Always focus on gaining altitude, never fight Deluxos, Helis on the same level - you will die.

Bloodytears1666
Posted (edited)

If you have an opponent in heli / deluxo - fly straight up. They won't be able to catch up in terms of altitude. At this point, opponent is nothing more than a ground target - dive and kill the helpless player like you do with any target on the ground.

If you already have missles on you, do circles while gaining altitude. Always focus on gaining altitude, never fight Deluxos, Helis on the same level - you will die.

Note for Akula fighters, that's why you buy EMS upgrade not for speed:).

As for Deluxo, the only side that is interesting downside and advantage the same time it has - the very slow airspeed over all, altitude or line speed. Plus hard to see, so if fight Deluxo try to move it to bright empty spots, or take it to stratosphere and destroy from below.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

Piro
Posted (edited)

Well the only tip I can think of right now is very simple

Remember that sometimes its good to go slow.

I sometimes even open my landing gear to quickly loose speed.

Edit:
I also set my num(+) button as gun cam (I'm on pc)

That way I can quickly switch between my current cam setting and FPP view. It's way quicker then flipping between different cam angles.

Edited by Piro

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

So how then would a Deluxo driver or helicopter pilot attempt to counter the dive?

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Smooth Longsack

^^^ when you're in a helicopter, it's key to always be gaining altitude and heading towards the plane. Always.

Spadge

Asking for advice on the web? It's your lucky day! You'll get enough advice on here to turn pro, turns out everybody on the internet is an expert.

StangOne50

I was going to say pretty much this here. I mostly try to dive bomb them. But if you are both at the same altitude and they get behind you and you are not already moving in a circle they have a good chance to get you.

In this video I get a few deluxos and most are dive kills...

Hallvar
Posted (edited)

I guess if you are a deluxo and the plane is above you, you could disengage hovermode and tip the car up to get lock on.

Edited by Hallvar

AUScowboy
Posted (edited)

Some of these tips are more helpful than others, but ultimately practice makes perfect. One thing newer players missed out on was the lack of aircraft diversity in the earlier days, if you wanted safe passage through a lobby with a Lazer/Hydra you really had to "get gud" and do so quickly. After 4 years it feels like riding a bike to me, so just keep at it and also, playing jet vehicle deathmatches is a great way to practice without repercussions or having to be a dick. Once you gain some confidence with the easier to master jets I suggest picking a harder plane to master. The Pyro and LF-22 Starling are absolutely deadly in the right hands, just have to learn their strong points and quirks and using them as your go to is a good way to accomplish that.

Helicopters are a whole different animal. Very easy to master IMO, all you really have to do is follow a few basic principles and know when to use them, Happy Hunter has some good tutorial videos for this. Like with planes, if you can f*ck most sh*t up with a Buzzard, obviously doing so in the more agile/powerful copters will become that much easier and even second nature eventually. So basically, what I mean to say more or less, is get good 😆

Edited by AUScowboy

FukNRekd

Great thread so far. I might just have to start learning to dogfight. So far I bring teh suck to dogfights and PvP.

Hallvar

Me too, im dogsh*t in dogfights.

CaliMeatWagon

Play Air Quota in the City.

flexcreator
Posted (edited)

I guess if you are a deluxo and the plane is above you, you could disengage hovermode and tip the car up to get lock on.

The problem is you are not seeing the plane. Is it diving at you? Or is it just hovering / making circles above you?

You have to guess the timing. And you should have enough altitude to not crash.

If you show this tactic to an opponent once, he will delay the dive on purpose.

EDIT:

One way to practice maneuvers in a non-pvp way is by doing Contact Missions that have NPC helicopters.

For example, check Defender

Edited by flexcreator

dino722

Op you on ps4?? If so id gladly add you and dogfight you...hence I need practice aswell and we can exchange tips and tricks

Hallvar

Alas, I am on xbox one.

Did some dogfighting today, lost haha.

No Use For A Name

If youve got some friends, play the G-Rating Hot adversary mode. Since you respawn in the air, its the easiest way to gain experience quickly. I imagine the Dogfight AM is similar, although I havent played it.

Another good trick is to follow around jet griefers in passive. Observe their actions and maneuvers. This is both educational and fun, because agitating them to the point of losing their focus and/or crashing is f*cking hilarious.

Hallvar

If you are fighting choppers as an airplane, what would be a good way to gain the upper hand, and is it best to use rockets?

A rocketspamming savage got me today and its just so many rockets!

I guess go up higher and diving?

flexcreator
Posted (edited)

If you are fighting choppers as an airplane, what would be a good way to gain the upper hand, and is it best to use rockets?

Gain altitude.

Dive.

Use cannon.

If you don't have cannon, use missles without homing.

Example:

Example 2 (at the beginning)

Edited by flexcreator

Smooth Longsack

Tactics vary with each plane, for me anyway. What plane were you in? What plane do you prefer?

On using the camera, you can set your sensitivity for 3rd person vehicle camera. I put my sensitivity very low so I can smoothly scan my horizon and the camera doesn't fly back to center too fast.

Happy Hunter
Posted (edited)

So how then would a Deluxo driver or helicopter pilot attempt to counter the dive?

Can't really speak for the Deluxo, but for helicopters:

Weaving around the skyscrapers in the city - that can make divebombing too risky and difficult. Once they miss, you may be able to get some missiles on them and trap them in a circle for a bit. It won't last forever though, so you have to try get a free aimed barrage or cannon shot on them while they're doing it.

Swinging back and forth, so you can maneuver the helicopter into pointing straight up. Typically, it's going to be too difficult to aim at the jet coming down at you. But even if you're blindly firing up, it can make the jet lose its nerve. Even if you don't get it, you can make them panic and miss you. This is really risky though. An example of that below.

Also:

^^^ when you're in a helicopter, it's key to always be gaining altitude and heading towards the plane. Always.

This for when someone's divebombing you. If you can close the gap, it gives them less time and space to do the attack. Even if you don't close it enough to stop them attacking, you might make it so difficult that they have to crash into you to kill you.

Probably the best technique though? Just landing somewhere like the construction site and using an explosive sniper (or even standard rounds). You need to see the jet coming for that though.

I hate telling someone to dive bomb helicopters lol, but ... Yeah, dive bomb it.

If you can't (maybe they're between buildings and awkward to hit) - just wait until they're distracted and send a missile at them when their back's turned. The jet (as long as you fly at high altitude) is faster than a helicopter, so you control when you fight it.

Dive bombing is the most effective though. Can't dodge that as such, and you can't be locked on if you're directly above the guy.

Edited by Happy Hunter

HonorableMan

I fly the Nokota mostly, and rarely lose a dogfight- but this isn't due to any skill on my part, rather the lack of skill in others. Most people you'll see flying about are terrible in a dogfight.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is always attack from above. Whenever you see a fighter on your minimap, gain a bunch of altitude, then come down on them. Most pilots won't expect that, for some stupid reason; they always seem to look for you at the same altitude they're flying at. About 80 percent of the time you'll get on their tail securely when coming from above.

Second: just get off the throttle. You'll turn a lot tighter, and most pilots ignore that. I regularly shoot down Lazers and Rogues and other Nokotas just because they stay on full throttle while turning, and it's a simple matter to shred them.

As far as weapons go, get a good lock on with missiles, fire one or two (or four, if you've got a Nokota, Pyro, Molotok, or Starling), cut your throttle, switch to guns, and then cut them off as they turn. Doesn't matter whether you've got explosive cannons or standard machine guns; at the very least, they'll begin smoking, and it's easy from there to keep on them and finish it.

For plane choice, just go with whatever you like. Whatever seems cool to you. They're all competitive if you learn their quirks, and they're all very fun. The least competitive is the Molotok, but at low speeds it's still nicely maneuverable and still easily capable of dogfighting, so long as you handle it right. In freemode, your most common opponent will be the Hydra, followed by the Lazer. Hydras go down easy against any well-handled SR aircraft, while Lazers are a bit harder; still, if you keep off the throttle, you'll win nearly all the time. Your most difficult opponents will be Pyros and Nokotas- Pyros are just so fast and maneuverable it's hard to get behind them, but they'll find it hard to get behind you as well, so it gets a bit tedious, and Nokotas are just very small and very tough targets.

flexcreator
Posted (edited)

Biggest piece of advice I can give is always attack from above. Whenever you see a fighter on your minimap, gain a bunch of altitude, then come down on them. Most pilots won't expect that, for some stupid reason; they always seem to look for you at the same altitude they're flying at. About 80 percent of the time you'll get on their tail securely when coming from above

That's why a player needs to study the radar. Understand the blips, understand the extended mode, understand how to tell if the player is above or below your altitude level (you can see the corresponding arrows), understand how to highlight a player.

Edited by flexcreator

Cutter De Blanc

Not really sure what the range of the gun on the Starling is, almost everytime I try to use it I end up colliding with my opponent in midair. Happened twice in row yesterday. I can't ever tell if I'm hitting them until I'm right on them, is there some easy way to tell if I'm close enough?

DentureDynamite
Posted (edited)

I successfully dodged multiple attacks from a Pyro in my Buzzard using the inside walls of the dam (east side).

I nap-of-the-earth (hugged) below the top edge of the d*mn dam walls to stay out of missile lock as long as possible, then spun around to face him when he came at me head-on, using my mini-guns.

Was risky, because he eventually switched to his cannons and came close to nailing me, but in time got frustrated and crashed. lol

I love my FH-1 Hunter (for Headhunter) and Akula (for evasion with a bounty), but the Buzzard still has (IMO) the best maneuverability and flexibility of any chopper in the game.

If you're in the city, one of the safest places is hovering right below one of the intersecting highways around Pillbox Hill. Most fixed-wing aircraft can't touch you, and it would take them multiple passes to try.

Just don't try that game with a Hydra... not a good idea (tried the hover-while-moving-around-the-skyscraper tactic and eventually lost). lol

Edited by DentureDynamite