Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,938 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Tengerecki

Niko's voice.

Tengerecki
Posted (edited)

I'll be honest. The voice actor did not do a great job with Niko's voice... in GTA V I was more than pleased with the voice/acting part. It was fantastic. But GTA IV's Niko was terrible. :( I mean at SOME parts he nailed it and was very good but ...damn. Such a shame.

Edited by Tengerecki

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

Are you by any chance Serbian? Personally, I thought Michael Hollick's acting and accent were great, but I know that his Serbian wasn't all that good and seemed to be directly lifted from whatever remotely Serbian sentences that Google Translate would turn English into back when they originally recorded the dialogue around 2006-2007 (and Google Translate was even worse back then), so I can kind of see why someone from there or who's more familiar with the Serbian language would not think it's good acting at all.

I think one of the few times I noticed something a bit off about Niko's voice acting was

if you kill Jeff's wife, it sounds like Hollick's accent slips a little bit (and the whole dialogue was just weird, Niko sounded way too cold and happy about murdering some woman). Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Tycek
Posted (edited)

I gotta agree with Hmmm nice bike here as I believe Michael Hollick did great job voicing Niko. Sure the grammar of his serbian is atrocious at some points, but it was never that much of a problem to me to break the character. And the evolution of his language through the course of the game, from thick accented barely understandable English "Are you full of crap or what" to normally spoken language yet with still noticeable balkan accent was really nice touch.

GTA V may have better voice over, recorder more professionally by skilled actors, but all of these doesn't matter if half of the things characters are spouting are meaningless gibberish.

Edited by Tycek

Nem_Wan

I wonder if Rockstar would have kept the character Serbian if Vladimir Mashkov had taken the role, since although his Serbian character in

was the basis of Niko, Mashkov is Russian. Serbian speakers might not think the result was any better.

Hmmm nice bike

I was actually wondering if Niko and Roman would have been Russian had Mashkov taken the role and if they were initially conceived as Russian characters, unless they were always intended to be Serbian and they just wanted Mashkov because of his role in Behind Enemy Lines (and because Niko's look was heavily inspired by 'Sasha'). If the latter is the case, unless he's actually fluent in Serbian, then I doubt Mashkov's Serbian would have been any better than Hollick's.

Willy A. Jeep

I always felt like Niko's voice acting was poor in general. I don't know or have much experience with Serbian, but the way he speaks and sounds just... didn't fit the character of Niko or the atmosphere of the game. At first, I thought it might've just been my problem - having a hard time digesting the voice and character as one - but as time has gone on, I've found my distaste for Niko's voice acting has only grown. Decently written character, but Hollick's acting too often slides into an over-the-top, half-effort attempt at making Niko sound a certain way. I think one of the few times I enjoyed his acting in GTA IV was during the in-person interactions between the ULP contact and Niko. Seemed... more tuned, somehow.

ClaudeIzABadAzz

I'll be honest. The voice actor did not do a great job with Niko's voice

e303635b39773300532476f6e4f13f598b407614

Am Shaegar

Niko speaks english with absolute clarity in producing those words that I don't find authentic for a Serbian immigrant. It obviously feels like he's "acting". I have seen a couple of videos of Serbian/Russian speaking folks talking in English, and they don't sound too precise and clear, kinda feels awkward when they are speaking in English, unlike the way Niko does, which frankly speaking, the voice actor clearly exposes the fact that he's trying to copy (or fake) accent.

The voice itself sounds good but doesn't sound so effortless, natural and authentic the way, for instance, Young Maylay did in case of CJ, and that is really what matters.

Tycek

for instance, Young Maylay did in case of CJ,

And how come this doesn't suprise me?

anthony

I don't care, for me Niko sounds amazing.

TheOriginalGunslinger
Posted (edited)

Niko doesn't force not so humerous cringy lines down in your eardrums though... For that, he's just a cool ass guy. I just prefer better dialogue tbh which IV's story offers.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

Piggsy pls

Considering Hollick was forcing a Serbian accent I don't think he did a terrible job, but yeah not great either. I wish they'd gotten Mashkov, or better yet a Serbian actor to do the role. I do like Hollick's job on Niko's combat quotes, though.

Sumitaser

Wait, so who is Niko’s voice actor?

Josh Feinman or Michael Hollick?

Tycek

Michael Hollick. Where did you find this Josh Feinman?

Sumitaser

IDK saw him somewhere on the internet as Niko’s voice actor