4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

so the us goverment is blaming video games again for the mass shootings

Quinn_flower

Hmmm nice bike

Once again, nothing productive came from it at all and it just served as a way to deflect from having to actually deal with the real issues around easily accessible firearms and mental health. Not that I'm surprised about this outcome or anything.

• Like 2
Ned Bingham

It's been a while since we've heard from everyone's favourite florida (well, disbarred now-a-days) lawyer, Jack Thompson but he's back, baaaayybbeeee.

The line of discussion is inherently flawed and absurd but inviting Jackie boy back to the table just doubles down on that.

It's a well known fact that Jack, not Russia, is the real power behind Donald's throne.

Shooters need shooting. There are driving games of course. And management games - but management is for wives and girlfriends, and managers.

Btw, a well ordered militia is not the same as giving every hick or hustler a gun, but you knew that already.

Btw2, squirrel and deermeat taste awful.

feckyerlife

The only violence caused by games is written verbal abuse by fanboys(girls) on a gaming forum.

no there is assholes that do swat people

Evil empire

It looks like the NRA accomplices don't get commission-bribes or electoral financing from the video game industry.

• Like 1
Hmmm nice bike

It looks like the NRA accomplices don't get commission-bribes or electoral financing from the video game industry.

The NRA are just jealous that their video games sucked. "Donald Trump's Real Estate Tycoon" was also not well-received for its time, and it looks like a boring-as-sh*t Sim City knockoff.

Piggsy pls

Video shows a lot of nazi's getting killed. That must be why they are mad.

But seriously, a f*cking game montage on the damn official WH youtube channel???

Man, this administration is embarassing.
  • Like 1
Vanzant

It's been a while since we've heard from everyone's favourite florida (well, disbarred now-a-days) lawyer, Jack Thompson but he's back, baaaayybbeeee.

The line of discussion is inherently flawed and absurd but inviting Jackie boy back to the table just doubles down on that.

It's a well known fact that Jack, not Russia, is the real power behind Donald's throne.

Shooters need shooting. There are driving games of course. And management games - but management is for wives and girlfriends, and managers.

Btw, a well ordered militia is not the same as giving every hick or hustler a gun, but you knew that already.

Btw2, squirrel and deermeat taste awful.

Shooters need shooters....I think we can all learn from your post. Maybe not the rest of whatever your post was going on about but, def for sure that one specific thing. They should put that on a coffee mug.

• Like 1

This is just a temporary scapegoat.

The real issue is a combination of bad parenting and a general dissatisfaction with society. It's just that those affected (particularly parents) would need something/someone to blame at a time like this (human nature) and the government going 'IT'S YOUR FAULT PARENTS!!!' isn't exactly appropriate in a sensitive time like this.

• Like 1

This is what happens when 80% of the American male population is circumcised. They think it gives them health benefits but find themselves buying guns to make up for the lack of foreskin.

im no scientist but maybe gun abundance plays a factor in mass shootings

i mean good luck doing a mass shooting with a knife

• Like 3
ClaudeSpeed1911

I blame Obama for this entire situation

Would you explain how Obama who has been out of the WH for around a year is to blame for this mess that Trump created?

I don't get how you still make excuses for your incompetent darling cheeto after all the things he f*cked up.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much. This administration can't even find its own dick. Trump was just talking out of his ass as per usual.

Yeah that must be why North Korea is actually planning to denuclearize. :dozing:

Voodoo

I wouldn't worry too much. This administration can't even find its own dick. Trump was just talking out of his ass as per usual.

Yeah that must be why North Korea is actually planning to denuclearize. :dozing:

I was obviously referring to video games, ya dingus. Don't hold your breath on the nukes, though.

Devdevi45

Would you explain how Obama who has been out of the WH for around a year is to blame for this mess that Trump created?

I don't get how you still make excuses for your incompetent darling cheeto after all the things he f*cked up.

Im pretty sure it was just a joke
  • Like 1
chronic lumbago

https://ww.youtube.com/watch?&v=0C_IBSuXIoo

Video shows a lot of nazi's getting killed. That must be why they are mad.

But seriously, a f*cking game montage on the damn official WH youtube channel???

Will there be a blacks killed by cops/soldiers killed in wars montage too?

f*cking hypocrites.

ClaudeSpeed1911

Im pretty sure it was just a joke

In that case, I owe you an apology. I deeply apologize for that post.

Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911
  • Like 1
make total destroy

to be fair gamers are terrible people and there probably is a correlation between playing violent video games and exhibiting violent behaviors. most mass shooters have probably played violent video games.

obviously, correlation =/= causation and mass shootings happen because we live in a deeply alienating society with an abundance of firearms, that glorifies violence because it's own existence depends on violence, but hey neither of those things are changing any time soon so blame literally anything else

• Like 2
chronic lumbago

to be fair gamers are terrible people and there probably is a correlation between playing violent video games and exhibiting violent behaviors. most mass shooters have probably played violent video games.

obviously, correlation =/= causation and mass shootings happen because we live in a deeply alienating society with an abundance of firearms, that glorifies violence because it's own existence depends on violence, but hey neither of those things are changing any time soon so blame literally anything else

80% of them didn't have an interest in video games.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-percent-of-mass-shooters-showed-no-interest-in-video-games-researcher-says/

Games aren't an excuse for killing people. They could be a small part of the problem but there's more important facors to it than just video games.

Every healthy person knows games are just games and I f*cking love brutal video games. I'm going to destory a few heads and chop off a few limbs in Fallout 4 now bye. You won't read of a mass murder in the netherlands tomorrow.

• Like 1
Phantomspirit

We dont have shootings like the US in Europe, only gun crime we have is gangs/drugs related, and its very rare. We play as much video games as the US, but the average person cannot buy a machine gun, so go figure....you dont have to be a Rocket Scientist to come to a conclusion..

• Like 3
chronic lumbago

It's an international embarassment for the US really. They just keep beating the same old horse over and over again when this happens, while the real answer lies in plain sight.

Oh and we have weapon licenses too but they're not as easy to come by and people just don't feel a need to use a gun. I don't think you can get anything besides a pistol either. And that's enough for "protection", robbers won't come at you in a f*cking tank and an army.

Edited by fashion
  • Like 1
Star-Lord

It's always something...

A Buffalo escapes from the zoo plows down a General Store- blame it on RDR.

Some kids vandalize a poor 100 year old monument - blame it on Saint's Row.

An 80 year old steals a Harvester leaves it parked at a Walmart parking lot - blame it on GTA.

Seriously, not this again.

• Like 1
MindCorrupt

An 80 year old steals a Harvester leaves it parked at a Walmart parking lot - blame it on GTA.

*Farming Simulator 2017

Shaytan

I said it here it here once and I'll say it again - I think the US has the president it deserves. If he brings up topics and subjects long ago surpassed because scientific research showed no evidence to base it on, everyone knew about that long before he was even elected. He won the elections, so that half the population and the majority of the states identified themselves which his beliefs and ideals everyone was well aware of back then.

I don't buy any of that "it was the Russians!", even if they indeed hacked the votations it would've been by such a small margin it didn't affect the legitimate results, because he won based on the survey that took place just a short while before the votations too. And even if we bring back the fact the other candidate was about as much of a bad choice as him, let's not forget you Americans had the chance to choose other candidates among a list of respectable persons, yet you picked two rich friends, one with dubious background and another straight out of a reality show.

It worries me a lot more other policies that endanger the whole world in the long-term such as the military and environmental policies than any possible measures affecting the video-game industry. I'm sure, just like with everything else, the majority of the Americans would welcome any measures in the subject while clapping if presented with "studies" by people with no knowledge in the subject and no scientific evidence besides playing GTA for 5 minutes and saying "oh, see? This is violent, isn't it? Imagine what this game rated for 18+ would do to children?".

In either case, devs could just easily move out to Europe and freely develop their art for the rest of the world, in the end it would just backfire to the US due to the positive impact in the economy and, who knows, the video-game industry as a whole would benefit from it considering it's mostly the US who buys stuff such as loot crates.

Edited by Shaytan
Leftist Bastard

Honestly in a roundabout way this is ironic justice since a lot of the people championing Trump online are the alt right gaming warrior type and now their kek master preident is coming for their vidya so i'm looking forward to a mass existential crisis on the right.

Edited by Leftist Bastard
  • Like 1
Dryspace

One group says violence causes murder, and another group says guns cause murder. They're both wrong.

Inanimate objects and violence are neither bad nor good. Both can be used either for good or evil. Both can be used either to provoke and attack, or to prevent and defend.

I looked over the posts above mine, and noticed a few people either claiming or implying that it is the presence and availability of guns that is the obvious cause of the problem. Frankly, I'm saddened at the lapse of reason, or perhaps basic research, this exhibits. Just a few points, by no means exhaustive:

Why is it that we are used to hearing of mass murders in public schools, but not so much at shooting ranges and pawn shops, where anyone can pick up a gun and stuff it with ammunition from his pocket?

Why is it that gun-related homicides are highest in large cities, and almost unheard of in small towns, despite the fact that gun ownership per capita is equal or higher in small towns?

Why is it that for decades people brought their guns to high school in their vehicles so that they could go hunting directly after school, but yet "Columbine-style" shootings didn't happen, and have only increased since guns have been banned from school grounds?

In the entire first 124 years of U.S. history, there are only two incidents that could reasonably be considered similar to the school shootings of today: one in 1882 in which no one was hurt, and another in 1891, which was actually a school exhibition and concert, and in which the shooter was likely an adult.

In the 60 years between 1900 and 1960, only one school-related incident occurred which could be considered reasonably similar to the school shootings of today: In 1940, an ex-staff member of South Pasadena Junior High School killed five other staff members after being dismissed.

Why is it that random mass shootings in public or in schools are nonexistent before the 1960's and suddenly began ramping up thereafter? What changed? Was America changing?

Demagogues have asserted:

"This type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries." --Barack Hussein Obama, June 2015

"The United States is the only advanced country where this kind of mass violence occurs." --Harry Reid, June 2015

"This happens nowhere else other than the United States of America." --Chris Murphy, February 2018

Some have made sure everyone knows that the U.S. has had more mass shootings than any other country. This is a fact. Of course, it's also a fact that it has more people than every other country beside China and India. The U.S. does not have more mass shooting deaths per capita. For example, in the seven years between 2009 and 2015, there were more mass shooting deaths per capita in at least ten European countries than in the U.S. Now, two of them--Norway and France--reach that distinction with the help of a single very-high-casualty incident. But I'm sure no one reading this would argue that 100 murders in a single attack is better than thirty murders over ten attacks, or 100 murders over twenty-five attacks. Just like I'm sure no one reading this would argue that it matters which specific reason a person murders randomly and wantonly.

According to the U.N., in 2012 the U.S. was ranked #28 internationally in overall gun homicides with 2.97 per 1,000.

And because the truth doesn't always wear ribbons and bows: Why are school shootings considered a crisis when the chances of a child being murdered at school are statistically insignificant? When a child is far, far more likely to die in an automobile accident, or any number of other causes, than by taking a bullet at his desk? Why do so many people fallaciously equate tragedy with crisis? It definitely couldn't be demagoguery...

We could pretend that guns cause murder, dust off our hands and call it a day, or we could attempt to seek the truth and actually solve our problems. As Lemuel Gulliver said, "Truth always forceth its way into a rational mind".

Edited by Dryspace
sivispacem

Some have made sure everyone knows that the U.S. has had more mass shootings than any other country. This is a fact. Of course, it's also a fact that it has more people than every other country beside China and India. The U.S. does not have more mass shooting deaths per capita. For example, in the seven years between 2009 and 2015, there were more mass shooting deaths per capita in at least ten European countries than in the U.S. Now, two of them--Norway and France--reach that distinction with the help of a single very-high-casualty incident. But I'm sure no one reading this would argue that 100 murders in a single attack is better than thirty murders over ten attacks, or 100 murders over twenty-five attacks. Just like I'm sure no one reading this would argue that it matters which specific reason a person murders randomly and wantonly.

Care to show your working here? I mean the arbitrary selection of such a strange period of time rather points to a massaging of the figures to make the US appear favourably which is somewhat disingenuous in itself, and you're clearly counting acts of terrorism amongst the mass shooting homicide statistics when neither the US nor other countries record these deaths in such a way, but even factoring in those two aspects I still can't make your (or whatever random internet dweller you copied it from) maths work.

• Like 2
Evil empire

The facts are:

-in the US like in many other countries nothing prevents cumulating a political and a managerial power even if democracy is based on the separation of powers. This situation makes a boss can easily prevent the vote of laws going against his unavowable interests while the corrupt policians receive bribes disguised as commissions and keep a honest facade

-the more a party serves the capitalist apparatchiks the more financed it is and the more likely it is to win the elections

-the more any psychopath can buy a fire weapon the more likely massacres are to happen the more massacres will happen

-there are other means to protect people like educating to self-control, empathy, compassion, self-defense, boxes and martial arts

-if these things where massively taught to people the NRA wouldn't earn as much money so the corrupt politicians wouldn't receive as important bribes and the same would apply for their electoral financing and chances to win rigged elections

But apart from it I'm sure Dryspace won't have any trouble showing everyone the USA firearm rampages issue is due to everything but the fireweapons' free sale.^^

Leftist Bastard

Pretending readily available tools of death aren't part of the problem is about as moronic as pretending video games are the problem.

• Like 5

I'd rather have my tools of death readily available in order to deal with those who have malicious intent and have ready access to tools of death anyway. Oh and f*ck giving the cops guns and citizens not having any. Cops are bad enough with their power trips and shooting sprees, the last thing we need is for them to not fear private citizens even more because idiots like you are constantly going 'OH THINK OF TEH CHILDREN!!!1'.

We aren't living in a leftist utopia. This is a dirty, gritty world. There's people out there who'd have no qualms killing you without a second thought if they didn't have to face any consequences.

Just hand over all your rights. A nanny state is what you want right? Just f*ck yourself over and then start bitching and moaning about how Big Brother just decided to ban your <insert favourite dumbass thing to do>.

Edited by anus
  • Like 1