1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Jimbatron

Ready Player One

Jimbatron

Saw this trailer for a new Spielberg film the other day

It looks a bit teeny for an old man like me. However, did anyone else look at this and think: this is basically imagining a future version of GTA O?

Obviously there's a general computer game slant, but just look at it. All those virtual modded cars, hell there's even a Deluxo. Talk of the guys in charge upping the difficulty because a players got too good (DD AI springs to mind). And an Easter egg. Perhaps this is Spielberg's revenge for R* ripping off the flying Delorean so brazenly.

Without having seen the movie yet (it's not even out), the trailer did make me think how far away this level of virtual reality might actually be away from us. Seem far fetched? Well just over 30 years ago, this was my first computer game as a child:

[Youtube]

Which prompts me to ask myself, where on the contiuum of gaming progress is GTA placed; currently between this, and what you see imagined in "Ready Player One"? And how real do I want a GTA to be before it gets too creepy?

Edited by Jimbatron

Leftist Bastard

Assuming GTA was on Spielberg's mind while making this is a bit ridiculous but as a whole this movie looks like an absolutely heartless cash in on nostalgia and dumb nerdy callbacks and references. Someone put it nicely - this is what happens when your reference without connection.

Jimbatron

Assuming GTA was on Spielberg's mind while making this is a bit ridiculous but as a whole this movie looks like an absolutely heartless cash in on nostalgia and dumb nerdy callbacks and references. Someone put it nicely - this is what happens when your reference without connection.

I doubt it GTA O was specifically on his mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if it featured in research. But I would be much more surprised if you are capable of making a comment that is constructive and not negative based on the last two I have seen from you.

Leftist Bastard

If you think i am purposefully attacking you and/or seeking you out then that notion is just flat out funny to me; because i'm sorry but who are you? and it's either that or you're fickle enough to perceive any civil disagreement or discussion as being negative for the sake of being negative. not sure which is worse.

Jason

It's based on a book that came out in 2011 so I can't imagine it's ripping off GTAO in any way shape or form.

darthYENIK

Looks good to me. Who the f*ck cares if it cashes in on nostalgia? I love nostalgia.

Plus Im sure theres a story in it. Never read the book but I hear great things about it.

Jimbatron

If you think i am purposefully attacking you and/or seeking you out then that notion is just flat out funny to me; because i'm sorry but who are you? and it's either that or you're fickle enough to perceive any civil disagreement or discussion as being negative for the sake of being negative. not sure which is worse.

You are wrong. If you read what I posted, I suggested you were generally being negative, not attacking me personally. And your following comment has done little to change my initial suspicion. Your previous remark does not constitute any attempt to start a discussion either, so I'm not sure what inspired you to insert that word into there.

It's based on a book that came out in 2011 so I can't imagine it's ripping off GTAO in any way shape or form.

Now this is this problem with a lot of forumers. Some people seem to have the inability to read the lines and take everything literally. If you couldn't tell that the remarks about GTA similarities were slightly tongue in cheek then there's not much hope you'll have got the main point of the thread. Which, if it's not clear: the movie is about a virtual reality gaming world, and however unintentionally, you can see some similarities to GTA O. It does prompt the question for me of how far away R* titles are from evolving into that level of sophistication in our real future, and how real is "too real" for such a concept? And I'm frankly surprised if others wouldn't be prompted to wonder similarly when seeing a trailer for a film like this.

I probably won't see the movie as it's clearly targeted at a younger age bracket than me. It might be a good film, it might be crap, although I doubt it will spend to much time going into the philosophical depths about the evolution of open world gaming. However prominent or not that aspect winds up being, I'd have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that's an interesting topic in general for R* games fans.

Edited by Jimbatron

Dacelo

I laughed out loud when the trailer came on last time I was in the cinema, it looks really bad. This excerpt from the book is all you need to know about Ready Player One, it's literally just 'remember the 80's?: the movie'

1475081841319.jpg