Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,207 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
j7n

Why do cars in SAMP handle better than single?

j7n

What could be the explanation why vehicles in SAMP handle better than in single player? The difference is subtle, and I'm not entirely sure there is one.

In single player cars seem to resist being steered, delay the movement a little, and I can more easily push it too much. In multiplayer they glide on the ground somewhat unrealistically, most noticeable in Voodoo and FBI Rancher, and also with Taxi, Premier or Flash, but I'm not too familiar with these. Driving difficult cars like Sabre is easier. If I push left or right, the car moves immediately by a precise amount. The Voodoo is a strange car, with extreme traction, but in multiplayer it is almost like cheating.

My handling.cfg is verified the same in both games, and my single player game is not modified (I have population tweaks, removed them, and they make no difference).

lolleroz

It's the same. What you're probably experiencing is playing single player without silent patch, theres slight frame input lag which samp fixes on its own, thats why cars feel a bit more responsive.

lRaziel1

As above said, maybe has to do with silent patch.

Btw, doesnt have much to do with it but does anyoen remember how much much better was handling in console versions? As you have a joystick and the buttons were pressure sensitive, you could adjust the throttle, the brake force and even the steering angle. Before i sold my PS2 i gave one last try to GTA SA, my fav game of my childhood, and goddamit i was astonished and couldnt believe how much better handling was compared to PC.

Is there anyway to have that back using a USB controller? or was the handling left to die on consoles only?

j7n

Silent Patch indeed seems to improve responsiveness to controls and car handling! Overall impression seems much smoother. I removed Silent Patch earlier because I found it didn't satisfactory fix transparency of trees, and there didn't seem to be a reason for keeping it then. The notes mention a fixed 14ms delay.

Another difference I noticed is that single player always uses 100% CPU, also with the patch, and SAMP has a variable CPU load. My SAMP is configured to 25 fps in attempt to match the single player game. Quite bad, but I can't do 50, and I still found it to be smoother than single.

I'm quite sure other people use controllers with partial steering, because I've ridden into lowriders driven another player, and they were steered very accurately without back and forth motion. I asked if the player used a controller and he said yes. I rely on cars with low steering sensitivity for more enjoyable play (Infernus, Yosemite, many cars at high speed, such as the Buffalo), and mass that keeps the car going with acceleration released. I can keep these cars in one lane.

There appear to be conflicting opinions about the quality of some cars. Some say Infernus isn't the best car because of its lower steering. I suspect it comes down to whether the person uses a controller or not.

lRaziel1

Silent Patch indeed seems to improve responsiveness to controls and car handling! Overall impression seems much smoother. I removed Silent Patch earlier because I found it didn't satisfactory fix transparency of trees, and there didn't seem to be a reason for keeping it then. The notes mention a fixed 14ms delay.

Another difference I noticed is that single player always uses 100% CPU, also with the patch, and SAMP has a variable CPU load. My SAMP is configured to 25 fps in attempt to match the single player game. Quite bad, but I can't do 50, and I still found it to be smoother than single.

I'm quite sure other people use controllers with partial steering, because I've ridden into lowriders driven another player, and they were steered very accurately without back and forth motion. I asked if the player used a controller and he said yes. I rely on cars with low steering sensitivity for more enjoyable play (Infernus, Yosemite, many cars at high speed, such as the Buffalo), and mass that keeps the car going with acceleration released. I can keep these cars in one lane.

There appear to be conflicting opinions about the quality of some cars. Some say Infernus isn't the best car because of its lower steering. I suspect it comes down to whether the person uses a controller or not.

Wow, i really hope it works, if it does im gonna buuy a usb controller, the driving was just so much more enjoyable when i played on my PS2. Well the infernus i believe it's not the fastest drag racer, but its in the top 3 highest top speed of all cars, aside from the wheelie NRG and any hotring racer. Steering angle is decent, but the steering speed is what i agree makes it more drivable on PC.