2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

[SA] Some more questions! (Mapping Related)

Mauritium

Hi!

It's me, sorry for posting again this week, feel free to tell me if I'm being annoying with these questions :lol:. I'm having a little trouble getting objects to look correctly into my map. The problem is that sometimes, the geometries I make look completely black. Collision works fine, model too (Sometimes, the model also has some imperfections, like deleted vertex, minor details.). The thing is... it's completely random. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Take a look:

Working maps:

015537173.jpg

Bugged maps:

5742A2265.jpg

I made them EXACTLY the same way, I started from 0 in Maya, then I made the textures (Using the "Unitize" method for UV), then exported to 3DS Max in .OBJ format and exported to .dff, .col (Using the col id material), etc...

At first I thought it had something to do with the size of the models, but then testing with smaller things, I realized it was the same thing. So...

And these are not high-poly models either, I'm trying to emulate the PSX Feel making the models low-poly...

Any ideas? Maybe something goes wrong in the Maya to 3DS export, but, as I said, they are made exactly the same way...

FB18C21FF.jpg

-

Also, small extra question: Is there any way to make the entire geometry in 3DS, break it into pieces and then import with the exact position into GTA, without posing it "By hand"? I think a friend of mine made it some years ago but I can't find any tutorial.

Thanks! :lol:

Another GTA Fan

This section is here for questions about modding. There's no such thing as asking too many questions here.

Anyway, for the strange blackness issue you're having, I believe it's related to the vertex format. I'd take a guess and say that you've got them set to Diffuse Color, and this can usually cause objects to appear completely black. Make sure the Vertex format has that option off. I've made some map mods myself, and that was an early issue for me, so hopefully that also works for you if that's the case.

If not, check the other Vertex formatting options. That's usually the case when things like that happens.

As for the importing pieces of an object so that when importing them they're all aligned perfectly (I'm assuming that's what you mean), all you have to do is make sure you set the pivot of the objects in the center. Objects should import and align via the pivot when imported into the 3D scene.

Edit: Just to add, the black object effect could also be the shadow model of the object causing it instead, so that would be another thing to double check.

Edited by Recommended

Also, small extra question: Is there any way to make the entire geometry in 3DS, break it into pieces and then import with the exact position into GTA, without posing it "By hand"? I think a friend of mine made it some years ago but I can't find any tutorial.

If you split model in multiple pieces and keep their pivot position the same, all objects will need the same map coordinates and will be placed correctly automatically ;)

This section is here for questions about modding. There's no such thing as asking too many questions here.

Anyway, for the strange blackness issue you're having, I believe it's related to the vertex format. I'd take a guess and say that you've got them set to Diffuse Color, and this can usually cause objects to appear completely black. Make sure the Vertex format has that option off. I've made some map mods myself, and that was an early issue for me, so hopefully that also works for you if that's the case.

If not, check the other Vertex formatting options. That's usually the case when things like that happens.

As for the importing pieces of an object so that when importing them they're all aligned perfectly (I'm assuming that's what you mean), all you have to do is make sure you set the pivot of the objects in the center. Objects should import and align via the pivot when imported into the 3D scene.

Edit: Just to add, the black object effect could also be the shadow model of the object causing it instead, so that would be another thing to double check.

I don't know what you meant with "Vertex format" and couldn't find anything on the Internet either, but it gave me an idea, and I finally discovered what it was. When I was texturing the models, I used multiple materials, but not a base material. I jumped right off to select the faces without a base, that caused the lacking of materials in some internal faces, wich caused the material problems in the game. I tried with an old model had the same problem, give it a base texture and re textured everything, and it worked! :lol:

If you split model in multiple pieces and keep their pivot position the same, all objects will need the same map coordinates and will be placed correctly automatically ;)

Yes, I thought so, but that means a lot of "by hand" placing, even for smaller maps :panic: , is it the only way possible? And, if so, how big can be a model before bugging, flicker, etc?

Thanks guys! :lol:

Yes, I thought so, but that means a lot of "by hand" placing, even for smaller maps

Why? If everything has the same pivot, placing it will be like copy-paste, since coordinates will be the same. The only difference is that you'll need more IDE definitions for the extra objects.

is it the only way possible? And, if so, how big can be a model before bugging, flicker, etc?

Of course you can use a whole object. If a model has a sane size (and by sane I mean not having one object for one whole area!) you're good. No bugging or anything. The only reason that may cause a model to flicker is when you accidentally set LOD to be itself (reeeally bad flickering) or when the collision bounding spheres are larger than the model itself; that will cause model to disappear when looking at it in certain angles.

Edited by guard3

Yes, I thought so, but that means a lot of "by hand" placing, even for smaller maps

Why? If everything has the same pivot, placing it will be like copy-paste, since coordinates will be the same. The only difference is that you'll need more IDE definitions for the extra objects.

is it the only way possible? And, if so, how big can be a model before bugging, flicker, etc?

Of course you can use a whole object. If a model has a sane size (and by sane I mean not having one object for one whole area!) you're good. No bugging or anything. The only reason that may cause a model to flicker is when you accidentally set LOD to be itself (reeeally bad flickering) or when the collision bounding spheres are larger than the model itself; that will cause model to disappear when looking at it in certain angles.

Great! Gonna try :lol: