Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,253 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Rockstargames32490

Just wondering....is there an age limit for video games?

Leftist Bastard

People should enjoy what they most like to do.

The main alarming question would be Why are young kids at the age lets throw a number, 11 or 12 playing adult type of games or rather, spending too much time.

I think too young is not a good thing & If they hit the age close to okay to play, teach them the balance of say, Hey lets go outside, go with your friends and enjoy society. That pattern is healthy as they continue to play the games.

This has always been an interesting question for me personally because my parents let me play whatever I wanted and i'm pretty sure I turned out okay - but at the same time i'd probably be more strict on my kids if I had any?? i'm really not sure what I would actually do but I think it's all about understanding what your kid can handle and what they can't. Everyone's different.

KilnerLUFC

There is no age limit. It may even benefit older people who struggle with growing hand / eye coordination if that even helps.

Older people with Rheumatoid Arthritis is what wonders me, my Dad has this and won't attempt video games. But I do wonder if those who have that condition can overcome or ignore they have it while attempting to play modern games can relive the stress with movement and dedication. Well hell, if we can't solve that now you can be assured I will in 30 years.

1st part. I totally agree and I believe there are supporting studies.

2nd part. I have bursitis in my right wrist/hand. That can be a huge handicap. Basic reflex/dexterity also seems to be an issue of decaying with age as a gamer.

@Kilner, since the upcoming generation will be the first generation to grow up with mobile screens I wonder what will happen. Before now you had to game in a designated area(and usually a designated time like when no one was using the TV).

Another interesting thing to watch with the upcoming (mobile screen since birth) kids is wether or not they take that break from gaming that a lot of people do somewhere in their later teens and twenties.

Im over 50...have no children...today is a snow day...I've been sitting here playing Sleeping Dogs on the Xbox one x for hours now.

People should enjoy what they most like to do.

The main alarming question would be Why are young kids at the age lets throw a number, 11 or 12 playing adult type of games or rather, spending too much time.

I think too young is not a good thing & If they hit the age close to okay to play, teach them the balance of say, Hey lets go outside, go with your friends and enjoy society. That pattern is healthy as they continue to play the games.

This has always been an interesting question for me personally because my parents let me play whatever I wanted and i'm pretty sure I turned out okay - but at the same time i'd probably be more strict on my kids if I had any?? i'm really not sure what I would actually do but I think it's all about understanding what your kid can handle and what they can't. Everyone's different.

Coming from my own personal experience, it was the same for me, I was given the freedom to game as much as I wanted and to do it whenever I wanted too, and my parents even supported this by buying me consoles/games and putting a big (back in the day big) TV in my room for me to game whenever I wanted. The thing is, even with all this, I still know for a fact the majority of my childhood was spent playing out, and gaming was more of a social event when all your mates gathered round to play MP or whenever one of us got the latest game, or for those off days when no one could be arsed to go out.

Looking at my nephews though, I actually feel like they're well overdoing it, in a bad way. Even last summer on the hottest of days, they would be indoors playing on their PS4/XOne, and if they were to come off it, they would just turn to their mobile phone and watch Youtube videos of gamers, or play on an app that supports a game, or just simple mobile game.

I understand sh*t has changed, and in a way I love how gaming has opened up so much, but I think it's led to parents needing to up their restrictions on gaming and screen time. You're never too old for anything in life, but also it's down to the simple fact that the majority of adults know how to manage their time and know when it's too much.

scalliano

Outside of the limits set down by the PEGI, ESRB and CERO, knock yourself out. Your reaction times may falter as you get older, but that should never discourage you from doing what you enjoy.

Night Machine
Posted (edited)

I think not, especially the people that started playing at the dawn of video games. I started gaming in the early '80s and still love it to this day, I doubt I will ever stop loving it. I always look forward to the next gen consoles to see the advancements. From starting out with games like Pong, Pac Man, Donky Kong, Pit Fall, Space Invaders, ect, It's amazing to see where we are at today with gaming. I also find them great for keeping the mind & hand to eye coordination sharp and a great way to relieve stress, there's really no reason to stop IMHO. :cool:

Edited by Night Machine

McGhee

If there was a minimum requirement of having atleast 90 IQ for this game, I’d be able to play solo in pubic sessions without having to do the MTU trick.

jpm1

age means nothing. i hope for the people they'll die with a kid's mind. this is how i'll die at least. plus i heard VG were good for reflexes. which is very important when you reach an age

Menstrual Deranged

Well I don't think so. I'm a female gamer about to exit my 30's and I get some strange looks when peers find out about my hobby but I don't care. They all decided to have several kids and partake in expensive hobbies/drinking when they're not helicoptering their kids. I think I made the better choice, honestly.

I have one kid, she's 12 and pretty easy-going. She was nice enough not to give me stretch marks. I thank her for that all the time. Gaming is fairly cheap and keeps me young because I get to hang out with all the rotten little edgelords and get hip on all the sh*tty lingo. Keeps me out of the sun, too. Between that and the lack of stretchmarks, I don't look a day over 25 in most lighting.

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

For the sake of argument some people do still have problems with "a grown ass man sitting around playing video games"

I hear women bitch about their boyfriends doing this

Don't know what it is about that particular phrasing but it makes me feel shame for having this hobby some times

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Furry_Monkey
Posted (edited)

If there was a minimum requirement of having atleast 90 IQ for this game, I’d be able to play solo in pubic sessions without having to do the MTU trick.

Wrong.

My IQ is over 150 and your post means I'd head straight for you as soon as you started doing any work.

Edited by Furry_Monkey

KilnerLUFC

For the sake of argument some people do still have problems with "a grown ass man sitting around playing video games"

Don't know what it is about that particular phrasing but it makes me feel shame for having this hobby some times

This seems to be the major problem with a lot of non-gamers - They believe that anyone who games as a hobby is a lazy sh*t who does nothing but play video games. Admittedly, my hobby has dwindled slightly over the ast couple years or so as work has taken over, and moving in to a new house with a new GF, but I see no problem with working 50 or 60 hours a week at work and then spending my downtime playing some video games.

Every one I work with spends their free time sitting in a pub drinking and putting their money up their nose, yet I'm the one thats laughed at for spending my free time and money on games.

Menstrual Deranged
Posted (edited)

This seems to be the major problem with a lot of non-gamers - They believe that anyone who games as a hobby is a lazy sh*t who does nothing but play video games. Admittedly, my hobby has dwindled slightly over the ast couple years or so as work has taken over, and moving in to a new house with a new GF, but I see no problem with working 50 or 60 hours a week at work and then spending my downtime playing some video games.

Every one I work with spends their free time sitting in a pub drinking and putting their money up their nose, yet I'm the one thats laughed at for spending my free time and money on games.

Admittedly, I was once one of those wives. Which is odd because I played games here and there growing up. Then when I was with my ex-husband, he was really into whatever game it is that had the "hidden cow level" or whatever. Was that Diablo? I don't feel like Googling on my sh*tty phone. I was more annoyed because I'd be trying to sleep and all I could hear coming from the other room was annoying mooing for what seemed like forever. I'd storm out there and look over his shoulder at the cow chaos and say, "I don't get it, why are there cows? Stupid. Turn it off now."

Then WoW came out and he'd been bugging me to "play games" for awhile. Sick of the begging, I tried. Found myself running through Elwynn Forest killing things with a rusty shovel and that's all it took. I was officially a gamer.

Gaming is definitely misunderstood by a lot of non-gamers. I think they don't realize the complexity of some games, or that many of them take quite a bit of critical thinking, skill, and even teamwork.

And if women are mean to men about being gamers, they might be even worse toward women who game. Not long ago some woman I know said to me, "What are you, a teenage boy?" I said, "Hey, don't knock it til you try it."

Edited by Menstrual Deranged