2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

FoulPlay

How will The Benz departure effect VI?

FoulPlay

I'm sure we all know how important The Benz and some people who also departed along with him (Colin Entwistle, Matthew Smith, numerous others who are working on Everywhere now and not Rockstar titles) were for GTA... It's concerning how the series has "evolved" since Online has exploded in popularity.

I'd be much more comfortable with the future of GTA if we had some single player DLC for V to prove to us they can make more to the game without him.

With all these rumours of RDR2 being in "Development Hell" and studios having their motivation sapped from them with moral being "low" from people claiming to be leakers, it has me a bit concerned for the future of this franchise.

Do you guys think IV (or whatever they decide to call it) will be a let down without The Benz running Rockstar North? I think it might be... I get the feeling The Benz was extremely important to the moral of Rockstar North... with him gone, I wouldn't be surprised if GTA 6 isn't quite the GTA we've all come to love...

I'm sure Leslie gets brought up a lot here, but, I rarely come here and just wanted to chat about the future of the franchise with some lads who care about this game as much as me - can't really get that on Reddit.

Hahaha the auto replace with "the Benz" whenever you type his full name... nice touch staff.

Edited by FoulPlay

Typhus

In truth, this was always an inevitability. People will always want to branch out and work on different creative projects. When they don't, you get situations like Hideo Kojima completely butchering the story of Metal Gear Solid and basically begging the whole series to be shot behind the woodshed.

Now, as to whether this will be a detriment to GTA, I can't say. The omens, judging from the current obsession with Online play, are not good at all. But, on the other hand, the entire series has gone through various phases of stagnation, so a big internal shake-up might give us something unique we haven't seen before.

But, looking at current gaming trends, I have a sinking feeling that the next game will be riddled with micotransactions and prioritize online gaming over the single player experience. The online fans are not demanding, they don't care about things like story or setting, so Rockstar can afford to be lazy. Which, looking at their how marketing strategy evolved after San Andreas, is something they're clearly comfortable with.

MojoGamer

We'll probably see Vice City and hopefully the other 2 remaining GTA locations in Gta 6.

Instead of the ridiculous GTA Everywhere (Mircotransaction & Lootbox World) that the Bens was pushing for.

FoulPlay

We'll probably see Vice City and hopefully the other 2 remaining GTA locations in Gta 6.

Instead of the ridiculous GTA Everywhere (Mircotransaction & Lootbox World) that the Bens was pushing for.

Do we know this was The Benz intention? GTA Online really didn't change and focus on micro transactions until after his departure from Rockstar. For all we know it could have been the Housers who decided to focus heavily on Shark Cards... unless there's a documentation plan of action leaked somewhere that was from The Benz' era running R* North that we know of?

I wouldn't be surprised if Everywhere is really good. We know nothing about it, but, The Benz' track record is absolutely stellar without any major bumps... Programming a video game and nailing the design is almost, if not, more important than nailing a story... Since this was The Benz' team's job, I wouldn't be surprised if it is stellar when it comes out.

CHARMANDER50
Posted (edited)

In truth, this was always an inevitability. People will always want to branch out and work on different creative projects. When they don't, you get situations like Hideo Kojima completely butchering the story of Metal Gear Solid and basically begging the whole series to be shot behind the woodshed.

Now, as to whether this will be a detriment to GTA, I can't say. The omens, judging from the current obsession with Online play, are not good at all. But, on the other hand, the entire series has gone through various phases of stagnation, so a big internal shake-up might give us something unique we haven't seen before.

But, looking at current gaming trends, I have a sinking feeling that the next game will be riddled with micotransactions and prioritize online gaming over the single player experience. The online fans are not demanding, they don't care about things like story or setting, so Rockstar can afford to be lazy. Which, looking at their how marketing strategy evolved after San Andreas, is something they're clearly comfortable with.

With BENZ gone Rockstar games will be more Player friendly and

gamer generous let's all party now the Scrooge Benz is a goner !

Prioritize online gaming ?

BENZ juz left without that sharp smoking raza ruca look !

PERSONAL HOTSPOT gaming is the FUTURE pequeños mozos ,

U share ur game we Play no need for vpn.

BENZ failed to recognized the SHARED PERSONAL HOTSPOT

Gamers Community and he left hurriedly crap NO MORE ON LINE GAMES

for GTA.

SINGLE PLAYER is on mozos !

Edited by CHARMANDER50

MARKUS.
Posted (edited)

Amigo, that's more probably why L.The Benz left.

Only knowing the story that he saved the Houser brother's asses during the develop of RDR leading into not having a glitch nightmare as a game (like Mafia III or more). I don't want to know how RDR2 and GTA VI would look like. I don't know why I am not excited about a new GTA game, maybe it's because I grown up, or what is more probably is because I have a feeling that R* died with GTA V, and the lack of new games since 2013 kinda confirms it. So sad.

Edited by Markhosdangerous

Gtaman_92

Leslie wasn't pushing for that though. He was probably even fired for voicing opposition towards it.

AnimalFather

RDR2 in dev hell LOL is it because it got delayed twice? thats because Rockstar doesn't cut corners and want things to be perfect.

RightOnTheDpad

Rockstar doesn't cut corners and want things to be perfect.

Huh.

If that's their ethos then R*s definition/concept of cutting corners and perfection differs from mine.

jpm1

i don't think theBenz departure will affect GTA. for several reasons. with hundreds, maybe thousands of employees, and being the financial pillar of the mother company T2, it appears clearly to me that R* isn't ruled by creativity rules anymore, but by commercial rules. whatever the people will ask tomorrow however dumb it may be, R* will consider it, and adapt themselves the best they can. also R* has the money for monitoring best PC development schools. so they hire the cream of the devs, and these people generally are (very) creative people. the only threat that IMO could really affect R*, and GTA, it's that theBenz is more attentive to long time community requests like life sim stuff (Everywhere seems good on this), and less forced PvP (Benz clearly said he didn't want his customers to be harrassed by activities they didn't want to participate in)

Jabalous
Posted (edited)

I, and anybody else, cannot really tell how crucial Leslie's role was within the Rockstar Games team, and North studio in particular. From a creative point of view, nothing will be affected since the creative team behind the game, from story writers (mainly Dam Houser) to lead artists (Garbut) are still working there. Leslie might've been a good producer that had the ability to oversee different teams and direct them to work toward a common goal, but anything other than that, I don't think he was that crucial that him being out now will reverse the course of the studio and its output to the worse. I'd more concerned if the creative minds behind the game left the company. Grand Theft Auto's characters and satire won't be the same without Dan Houser behind the writing.

Edited by Efreet

jpm1
Posted (edited)

I, and anybody else, cannot really tell how crucial Leslie's role was within the Rockstar Games team, and North studio in particular. From a creative point of view, nothing will be affected since the creative team behind the game, from story writers (mainly Dam Houser) to lead artists (Garbut) are still working there. Leslie might've been a good producer that had the ability to oversee different teams and direct them to work toward a common goal, but anything other than that, I don't think he was that crucial that him being out now will reverse the course of the studio and its output to the worse. I'd more concerned if the creative minds behind the game left the company. Grand Theft Auto's characters and satire won't be the same without Dan Houser behind the writing.

TheMercedesMan was absolutley crucial not only in R* Edimburg, but also to R*,and thus to T2. from what i read, it appears clearly that he was the real technical brain of the company. but now the train being on good rails, and with all the money they got, R* is in position of being able to replace him. but it seems pretty much obvious that R* (and T2) wouldn't be where they are right now without the 500SEC. TheTriangleCar worked hard for R* there's no doubt about that. i don't know who had the idea of GTAIII. but when the project started, S. Houser had a business man background, while The280SE had a programmer background. TheBenz was GTAIII lead programmer, with the success we know. and it's there where it all started

Edited by jpm1