Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,637 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
greenrock

Personality Wise how will Arthur differ from John

greenrock

in your opinion, how will Rockstar differentiate them in your opinion?

saintsrow

It's a good question. One has to consider, what is the character's motivation? This determines how they think and act.

John Marston seemed like a old burnout, who wanted to retire from the criminal life and just be a farmer. He didn't have any motivation until the Feds held his family hostage. He seemed like an old school kind of westerner, with his proper dialog, schooled in a small one-room schoolhouse, on a potentially decent upbringing, until he went bad with the gang.

Arthur on the other hand, is in the prime of his career, actively defining his way of life, and happily getting into it. He's more of a thug life kind of cowboy, not much formal cultural influence for him. Arthur has his own internal motivation. Arthur's not burned out; rather, he has the fire in the belly. Ain't no philosophy books in his saddlebags.

Incidentally, I'm sure the comparison has been made before, between John Marston and Michael in GTAV, who was also a retired criminal burnout.

Edited by saintsrow

Safari

Now if you mean how will john differ from Arthur in RDR2 before the events of RDR1 well...

It all depends when this game takes place, I'm guessing this game takes place when john marries Abigail and has jack, During this time i feel that John will be very nice to his fellow gang members as he use to just allow jack to hang around these criminals instead of giving his son valuable time and taking responsibility, he will probably just be a follower doing whatever the gang wants him to do. John would be treating them like brothers while bill and Javier treat him like an acquaintance, well in RDR1 its said Javier use to call john names in Spanish and bill towards the end of the gang treated him less of like a brother. In my opinion if this is what R* sticks to, keeping john looked at as a step stool kind of character towards some people in the gang it can explain why his gang left him for dead.

Arthur i fell will be a bit more aggressive but with morals. I think Arthur will be very invested in his gang either being a gang leader or a right hand man of sorts while he will gain a strong relationship with bill and dutch as there always shown near Arthur. Arthur on the other hand will act like a true man doing what he's gotta do for the ones he loves or doing what he's gotta do for some unknown reason. in my opinion i feel Arthur will treat john just as Bill and Javier did as john never mentioned him in RDR1, i mean it would explain why john never mentioned him maybe because Arthur treated john as a background character or they just never gained a strong bond.

Lastly id like to point out john is all the way at the end of the row of gang members further making be believe he wont be a huge impact on Arthur and that john will be treated as a background character or a character that gets disrespected by his "brothers".

Edited by Safari

UAL

From what we've seen so far Arthur will be an inferior protagonist to JM IMO

Mr. Morgan

We have like two whole minutes of footage of him in random scenarios, I'd like to have some of y'all's ability to read character from such limited material lol.

UAL

We have like two whole minutes of footage of him in random scenarios, I'd like to have some of y'all's ability to read character from such limited material lol.

First impressions are a part of life *Ye shrug*

Safari

were just judging off everything we've seen in eluding screenshots and past scenarios with John Marston and how he described the gang

joshua969

What we know about Arthur Morgan:

-Sees names in a ledger

-Wants the moneh

-Has Dutchs' bag

BUT THE BENZ

arthur is a man of pride, and he has principals which he will not break for anything, because he's too proud. but then again, he knows that when you've run out of luck and you got no good cards to play, that you gotta fold your hand at some point and take anything you still have left, before it's all gone. or maybe that's just his woman talking him into these thoughts, to give up the gang, leave the life behind etc.

dutch would never understand, but arthur tells him anyway: "when the time comes, you gotta..."....well, maybe Dutch doesn't think it's over.

will see

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

SuperKitsune

Interesting theory, but I don't really agree with the old burnout thing. I mean ok John was 38 in rdr1, but from what we've seen Artur seems a bit older than that or at least not any younger than John was in rdr1.

Now for the motivation part, I agree. John was trough with the outlaw lifestyle.He just wanted to grow old with Abigail and give Jack a stable, promising future.

Which is also kinda bizarre considering John was ok raising Jack amongst a bunch of lunatic killers until he was 11.

Now I also don't agree that Arthur will embrace the criminal lifestyle. In fact I don't see Arthur having much love for Dutch and the gang.

I think he's just in it until his goals are fulfilled. I don't even think Arthur is a proper gang member but rather a mercenary.

I think Arthur will be less of a loyal person to Dutch then John was (in the prime days of the gang). Most probably because Dutch didn't take Arthur under his wing like he did with John.

Fluffy Sock

We know next to nothing about Arthur.

John wasn't too old in RDR but old enough to have a family and a proper life to take care about. Then the feds shoved him his past down his throat and things went exactly as you know.

Arthur seems to be a bit older in RDR2 than John was in RDR, but that means nothing. I think he's a guy with no family and no other motivation than money at the beginning, but then things can change through the story, mostly due to that blonde woman showed in the trailer/screenshots. It's clear that Arthur has/is gonna have some kind of close relationship with her, and that will affect Arthur and the story in a big fashion.

The wait is killing me..... :sui:

Edited by Perez84

Safari

We know next to nothing about Arthur.

John wasn't too old in RDR but old enough to have a family and a proper life to take care about. Then the feds shoved him his past down his throat and things went exactly as you know.

Arthur seems to be a bit older in RDR2 than John was in RDR, but that means nothing. I think he's a guy with no family and no other motivation than money at the beginning, but then things can change through the story, mostly due to that blonde woman showed in the trailer/screenshots. It's clear that Arthur has/is gonna have some kind of close relationship with her, and that will affect Arthur and the story in a big fashion.

The wait is killing me..... :sui:

I mean this thread is just based off predictions and clues within certain media regarding RDR2 but yes we know nothing factual about Arthurs personality

Also what you said how Arthur has a relationship with the girl is interesting, like R* tend to hide stuff like this and as she only trust Arthur it leads us to believe they could be very close possibly even couples, and yes i can agree if they take this route the girl will cause Arthur to open his eyes and pay a negative effect towards Dutch's gang later on... possibly.

SuperKitsune

Honestly I hope Arthur and his lady rip off Dutch's gang big time and get to ride off into the sunset unharmed. (Prays that Art doesn't die).

Lock n' Stock

I like what we've seen of Arthur so far. He's definitely a different beast and much more of an "anti-hero" than John, I feel he'll more than succeed on his own merits.

grope_4_that_date

Arthur is gonna' be a man for himself. I can't picture him doing missions where some stranger comes and asks for his help, and Arthur will be like "Yeah dawg, I got you." John would do that, but not Arthur. Instead of Arthur helping people, people are gonna' be helping Arthur. Also he's probably gonna' have a really big dick. But Rockstar probably won't reveal that. We'll just have to assume it.

BurnettVice

Arthur looks like a leader rather than a follower. He's going to give orders, not take them.

saintsrow

It's a good question. One has to consider, what is the character's motivation? This determines how they think and act.

John Marston seemed like a old burnout, who wanted to retire from the criminal life and just be a farmer. He didn't have any motivation until the Feds held his family hostage. He seemed like an old school kind of westerner, with his proper dialog, schooled in a small one-room schoolhouse, on a potentially decent upbringing, until he went bad with the gang.

Arthur on the other hand, is in the prime of his career, actively defining his way of life, and happily getting into it. He's more of a thug life kind of cowboy, not much formal cultural influence for him. Arthur has his own internal motivation. Arthur's not burned out; rather, he has the fire in the belly. Ain't no philosophy books in his saddlebags.

Incidentally, I'm sure the comparison has been made before, between John Marston and Michael in GTAV, who was also a retired criminal burnout.

Rockstar has a real trend going:

Carl Johnson was an errand boy for Tenpenny.

Niko was an errand boy for U. L. Paper.

John Marston was an errand boy for Edgar Ross.

Michael was an errand boy for Steve Haines.

Safari

Arthur probably an errand boy for Dutch or someone else of higher power outside of the gang

SuperKitsune

^ Seems like Rockstar gets a kick out of being submissive. :D

TheExclusiveMan

Arthur probably an errand boy for Dutch or someone else of higher power outside of the gang

If the leaks are true that we will be maintaining a posse/gang for missions (Choosing characters and loadouts perhaps?) then we may very well see Arthur as an independent man who works alongside Dutch(who he seems to be very loyal to), I wouldn't mind him being an errand boy for Dutch as I want to learn what made everyone love Dutch so much during his prime(aside from his moral code) and his eventual downfall .