happygrowls
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Zello

• LowTierDude

We might not get anything related to Saints row until deep silver/embrace get their sh*t together. 

Since 2012,Voltion as a studio has been mishandled by their incompetent publishers. THQ Nordic and now embracer have ruined saints row and volition. Saints row could have been good with some good publishers. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 4:23 AM, B Dawg said:

SR2 Patch might not be dead:

image0.png

See, being on the pessimistic side, i think it is. with her say "possibility" it doesn't give me much hope that it will be worked on, especially if what flippy said on his video is correct. From what he said about deepsilver forcing Volition to reboot the reboot as it were, they're not gonna work on it unless they can make money off the patch and yeah, I do think DS is that shady.

Datalvarezguy

Im just going to say it in a vague way for everyone who passively defended this corporate travesty, don't even remember who its been so long but still:

I told y'all so.

And that's im going to say.

Edited by Datalvarezguy

2 hours ago, deathdealer said:

See, being on the pessimistic side, i think it is. with her say "possibility" it doesn't give me much hope that it will be worked on, especially if what flippy said on his video is correct. From what he said about deepsilver forcing Volition to reboot the reboot as it were, they're not gonna work on it unless they can make money off the patch and yeah, I do think DS is that shady.

Embracer are mad struggling and the SR2 patch was fan service and nothing more. Don't see who they'd give it to and I don't see why they would, when for them it is time better spent on projects that will make them money.

The whole "SR and RF will live on" is just classic publisher speak really. Any new entry is a massive uphill battle PR wise and Embracer don't even have the resources to do anything with it. I reckon the only way we see it again, in the distant future (2030+), is when someone else picks up the IP and potentially takes a stab at it. Embracer selling off IP is something they've already done and will likely do more of in future I imagine.

At the same day that Volition was closed and stopped their existence (08.31.2023), all versions of Saints Row, both the Steam and Epic Game Store PC versions, XBOX One and XBOX Series X / S, and PS4 / PS5 console versions as well, has received a mystery large patch / title update. however, there's absolutely NO INFO WHAT THAT PATCH ADDS, FIXES OR CHANGES IN-GAME, WHATSOEVER (according to users on Steam Community forums)! Saints Row website seems to be now basically abandoned, as in its section "News" it shows info ONLY FOR THE PREVIOUS PATCHES released at 08.24.2023 and the earlier ones, but absolutely nothing for game's very last last patch released at 08.31.2023. Basically since there's most likely nobody of Volition's staff isn't active anymore to update Saints Row (2022) website, this means that the patch notes (what it fixes, what new content it adds and what it changes in-game, etc.) for that very last Saints Row's Title Update released at 08.31.2023 MIGHT FOREVER REMAINS COMPLETELY UNKNOWN... 

Again on Saints Row (2022) website there's also hasn't been any update to reflect the newly released Steam PC version on Valve's Steam gaming platform whatsoever, it still lists NOTHING ELSE but the Epic Game Store PC version, all others versions shown are being the console versions.

Unfortunately, this means now Saints Row series are finished and are basically discontinued... Even this latest game now isn't gonna getting any bugfixes anymore after Volition studio closure and Saints Row (2022) now has to be played with any glitches that might has remained after the last title update that came without any patch notes. One of the few positive things of that game are its extensive difficulty settings for all type of gamers, including extremely hardcore as well as the very casual ones, as well as extensive accessibility option for impaired people. Only few other open-world games has these, mostly Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered being the closest one, but also Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales and the latest Warmer Bros' open-world game - Hogwarts Legacy.

Edited by 65536

19 hours ago, deathdealer said:

i know her somewhat, she's not a volition staff, just a discord mod that keeps up with what actual volition staff say in and out the server

DenjiChainsawman

OK I am pretty much late on this but if y’all watch the video at the end. Mr Saints Godzilla is going to make a video, on what he saw during his tour with volition now that his NDA has expired. 

• Like 2

universetwisters
On 9/3/2023 at 1:33 PM, DenjiChainsawman said:

Mr Saints Godzilla is going to make a video, on what he saw during his tour with volition now that his NDA has expired. 

Is this it? I don't think I've seen this footage of the offices anywhere else

sTgL5iS.png

DenjiChainsawman
1 hour ago, universetwisters said:

Is this it? I don't think I've seen this footage of the offices anywhere else

Nah I think this is more of a farewell video. We’re probably not going to see the video of him talking about what he saw until probably October or late September.

I mean I've not played it but the whole "woke" fearmongering pre-release ended up being pretty unfounded, didn't it? It was never brought up. The characters just sucked as far as I heard.

Boiling it down to that is also, to be frank, f*cking stupid. The game is technically and mechanically dated, it was plagued with technical issues, co-op didn't work at launch and it was missing tons of franchise staple features big and small. No gang members on streets, no multiple apartments, no interiors, etc.

The game didn't fail cause it went "woke" in any shape or form, it failed simply cause it wasn't good, lol.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I mean I've not played it but the whole "woke" fearmongering pre-release ended up being pretty unfounded, didn't it? It was never brought up. The characters just sucked as far as I heard.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

The game didn't fail cause it went "woke" in any shape or form, it failed simply cause it wasn't good, lol.

The problem with saints row is that it wasn't even woke. They tried to appeal to a particular group without knowing about them. It seems like the writers thought this is how that particular group speaks and behaves and executed that. The group that they tried to appeal to didn't even like that, because they aren't like that. 
It's like choosing to make a game about gangsters, But, Instead of researching or knowing about them, You end up writing a story based on what you think gangsters are instead what they actually are.

For GTA 5, the writers were british and didn't know the slang that gangsters like franklin and Lamar use. Their original scripts had words like "mate" and many british words that franklin and lamar would never use. But, the actors of lamar and franklin improvised the scenes and used the script as a foundation and acted scenes on top of that. The writers and directors allowed that and writers did a lot of research to get the language and slang right.

Saints row had nothing to offer. The game was technically and creatively bankrupt. The game was vapid, insipid and flavourless. At the end of the day, it didn't bring anything to table and didn't have any message or direction. It was just a game with characters who are not real and does not seem real and the game was about "friendship" which the group didn't earn or work for, The good ending/sucess that the "saints" receive at the end of the game was offered to them on a sliver platter. 

"woke" is the last word i would use to describe saints row reboot.

Edited by sanjay3207

Cigars and chill

Woke is a term that has already died on the vine. 

It's a silly game. But for stupid fun it's worth what I paid for it.

3 hours ago, Cigars and chill said:

Woke is a term that has already died on the vine. 

It's a silly game. But for stupid fun it's worth what I paid for it.

Did you pay retail for it? Bought at launch and felt ripped off lol 

• Like 1

Cigars and chill
4 minutes ago, Bigglo145 said:

Did you pay retail for it? Bought at launch and felt ripped off lol 

Getting it free this month. 

But I was willing to pay $20.

Yah it ain't that good.

I've heard rumors suggesting that the reboot's story was originally going to have a different tone until Deep Silver intervened and it resulted in the cringefest that we know and hate today.

If that's true, then maybe Deep Silver is also to blame for the Saints Row reboot's failure.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA
  • Like 1

Honestly I would take a lot of that stuff with a grain of salt at the moment, unless it's reported on by someone credible in the industry.

It's not uncommon post-flop for blame to get flung around. I'm also not particularly convinced by that guy who is openly talking about spilling the beans on what he supposedly saw at Volition after his NDA expires, I'm no expert but to my knowledge I don't think video game NDA's just randomly expire like that, they're typically closed up until you get permission. Could be different here but yea, this post mortum stuff is not uncommon and it's not unusual for it just to into people slinging sh*t and blame at each other.

• Like 3

Lock n' Stock

So me and my friend downloaded this since they were giving it away for free on PS Plus, and we thought it would at least be good for a laugh.

Yikes, what a sh*t game. Everything you've seen and heard about it is just as bad, if not worse. Sh*t gunplay, sh*t driving, sh*t writing, just raw excreted sh*t all around.

Character creation is fun, at least. Literally the only somewhat redeeming thing about this.

IMG-0190.jpg

Edited by Lock n' Stock

DenjiChainsawman
On 9/6/2023 at 12:01 AM, Ivan1997GTA said:

I've heard rumors suggesting that the reboot's story was originally going to have a different tone until Deep Silver intervened and it resulted in the cringefest that we know and hate today.

If that's true, then maybe Deep Silver is also to blame for the Saints Row reboot's failure.

Honestly, if this is true, then this would explain what the hell Mr. Saint Godzilla  saw during his time with volition

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
the J is for Julia

I’ve put way too much time into this game, completing both the PS4 and PS5 versions separately. It’s unfortunate that the story and characters are so bad, because there’s a lot to like about the game itself. The map is genuinely great, as is the driving. Cars feel like a Sumo Digital racing game, e-brake and drift for miles. The gunplay is solid and there’s a flow to combat. Use active skills to buff or mix things up while building the takedown meter to regain health. Crank the difficulty to Boss and the ebb and flow is there.

As someone who approaches open-world games like an equal parts sandbox and an N64 collect-a-thon, I enjoyed Saints ‘22 quite a bit. The game is mostly technically sound now and the DLC can be ignored. The base game is worth it on a sale if you’re looking for a contemporary open-world game that’s slightly more grounded than Saints 3, but still far from realistic.

spacer.png

In his latest episode of What Happened?, Matt McMuscles goes into deep dive of Saints Row 2022:

• Like 3

Margot Robbed Me

I think the community backlash played a huge part in what happened. I was initially interested in playing this game, because I've played all of the others (unfortunately that includes Gat Out Of Hell, which sucked massive Kardashian ass). The temporary Epic exclusivity scratched it off my list. Still, I felt neutral about the game.

Then all of the drama came along, and the hive mind community just completely wrecked the games reputation before it even released. It got to the point where even if you knew nothing about the game or had zero interest in it, you knew of the game. And what you saw was that it was a trainwreck to be avoided. The game being sh*t didn't help, but I think if you played GooH or AoM, the bar was set underground at that point.

• Like 2

I downloaded this for free on PS+ and try it. Well,it is a step back compared to previous games. Those characters were annoying,and game would be better with out them,or with some random hired guns. Compared to Johnny Gat,Shaundi and Pierce,these are school children. And graphics were dissapointing,with out much changed after ten years since SR4. Driving and shooting was also not great,especially after playing GTA Online and COD:Could War fight before that. City was actually interesting,disregarding graphics. Maybe because I liked Breaking Bad and destert area in GTA V, but Old West and Kad Vegas mix had some charm,and iz was interesting exploring the map. Gangs were also dissapointing,basically reskinned STAG,Deckers and Brotherhood from SR2/3. Idols were also in some strange BDSM outfits like stolen from Zimos from SR3,maybe to attract some more kinky audience? 😁 I also recognize some Profesor Genki elements,and missions and references from Mad Max and Hunger Games,so,its not a very original game. Anyway,it was still refreshing to try another Open world game,but quality is obviously lacking. Volition is now closed,so maybe Gearbox make another one in the future,but it won't be soon. I am also scared for the GTA 6,seeing how many people left Rockstar in the last few years. Still,I hope that it won't be as bad as this rendition of Saints Row.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:16 AM, the J is for Julia said:

I’ve put way too much time into this game, completing both the PS4 and PS5 versions separately. It’s unfortunate that the story and characters are so bad, because there’s a lot to like about the game itself. The map is genuinely great, as is the driving. Cars feel like a Sumo Digital racing game, e-brake and drift for miles. The gunplay is solid and there’s a flow to combat. Use active skills to buff or mix things up while building the takedown meter to regain health. Crank the difficulty to Boss and the ebb and flow is there.

As someone who approaches open-world games like an equal parts sandbox and an N64 collect-a-thon, I enjoyed Saints ‘22 quite a bit. The game is mostly technically sound now and the DLC can be ignored. The base game is worth it on a sale if you’re looking for a contemporary open-world game that’s slightly more grounded than Saints 3, but still far from realistic.

spacer.png

I'd liked it too for what it is, nice character btw, Saints Row still has the best character editor of all games I am aware of though I liked IV's editor better. Car customizing is great in SR4, better than in GTAO.

• Like 2

Lock n' Stock
On 9/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, kobeni said:

theyve been saying out of pocket sh*t since 2014 (eg. supporting nutjobs like Anita Sarkeesian) so i wouldnt really absolve them of any blame tbh

People like to blame the publisher when it comes to situations like these but the writing's been on the wall ever since the thq days. You can't deny that volition has lost their way for a while. Deep silver just added salt to the wound is all

True that even during the THQ days the cracks were starting to show (e.g. SR3). However, Deep Silver have always been a publisher with very questionable quality control. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they had forced the direction of SR22 on Volition to an extent. 

• Like 3

The direction of SR22 was part of the problem with the game but it was far from the only problem. The game was technically and mechanically dated, littered with bugs and missing tons of features people expect from a Saints Row game. Publisher meddling can happen, but when you look at Volition's track record post SR4 then you have to say that much of the blame must be on them and not the publisher. They got five years to make SR22, they were given the time.

• Like 2

Lock n' Stock
33 minutes ago, Jason said:

The direction of SR22 was part of the problem with the game but it was far from the only problem. The game was technically and mechanically dated, littered with bugs and missing tons of features people expect from a Saints Row game. Publisher meddling can happen, but when you look at Volition's track record post SR4 then you have to say that much of the blame must be on them and not the publisher. They got five years to make SR22, they were given the time.

I mean, perhaps you could blame a lack of money in Volition's case. You're right though, they had been pretty inept for a good while now.

One of the reasons why games are so expensive to make now is because of how long they take to make, 4 to 5 years being paying wages for 4 to 5 years. For the bigger studios with an employee count in the hundreds, times a decent average wage in the industry, you can do the math but you're looking at $100-200m per AAA game over a 4-5 year development period. I'm not saying they didn't run out of money but if you are able to develop a game for five years then the the money was clearly there, it was just spent poorly.

• Like 1

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.