• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Zello

• LowTierDude

deathdealer

well well well, I would say I'm surprised but I'd be lying. During an AMA on their discord server, a dev confirmed that there are no plans for modding support.

1688659729426-png.36379

This is so freaking laughable. Oh, here's that deleted post regarding the SR2 pc patch I mntioned above:

B6uq6TE.jpg

• Bruh 1

If I were to speculate I'd say that their support for SR22 will be pulled the moment they finish their season pass obligations and given how poorly the game has done SR2 stuff may also get canned, with the studio probably being thrown straight onto a new project, which could be anything knowing Embracer.

As far as what this game will be remembered for, having not played it yet but.... nothing? How to not listen your playerbase and create something neither side of your playerbase really enjoyed?

It isn't even just one thing they fumbled like the story or characters, there are mind boggling decisions all over the game, the latest DLC horde mode is just tip of the iceberg. So many missing franchise staple features, no interiors, etc.

Wouldn't shock me if they're shut down or otherwise split up and sold off or something. Embracer's a terrible publisher with no real plan beyond buy everything up and ????. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jason said:

If I were to speculate I'd say that their support for SR22 will be pulled the moment they finish their season pass obligations and given how poorly the game has done SR2 stuff may also get canned, with the studio probably being thrown straight onto a new project, which could be anything knowing Embracer.

As far as what this game will be remembered for, having not played it yet but.... nothing? How to not listen your playerbase and create something neither side of your playerbase really enjoyed

Id hope the sequel gets canned in all honestly, i dont care to see what the gang would be getting up to in a new gang. Its seriously the worst game i ever played and im not joking. I didnt even finish the game, it was that bad. Sr 1 and 2 on the other hand, i play every couple of months

I am curious to find out what is next for them if they do survive as a studio. Where do they go? What do they do? They quite clearly need a massive rethink when it comes to what they want their games to be, and they also need a technical overhaul which in their case likely means UE5.

I said it in another thread but while SR22 gets a lot of flack their problems started way back when Agents of Mayhem began development. Like listen, I'm not against a studio branching out and evolving but when you're a studio of Volition's size with a loyal fanbase it's just good business to keep those loyal fans on board, right?

So Volition were never gonna be able to compete with say R*, it's just not possible, but they had their own really good niche. Open world city, co-op and mad customisation. That was what they did really, really well, it's what they built a lot of their success on - I know they had Red Faction too, but that was always a bit of a niche thing compared to SR once SR got going.

So anyway, they had their niche and what did they do in their next game? No customisation, no co-op, and chased hero shooter trends. I'd sympathise if this was a whole new genre, but it was another open world city based game with shooting, driving, etc. They didn't change genre, they just stripped out of everything that made their games unique and fun. It'd be like R* taking grand theft auto out of Grand Theft Auto or something lol, the alarm bells were ringing for Volition even then.

It's been such a bizarrely run studio since SR2 really. Despite SR1-2 standing out on their own two feet very capably they decided that they really wanted to make the SR franchise something unique so they went in a direction that proved completely unsustainable, which wasn't helped by them wanting to constantly one up themselves with every game. 

• Like 4

deathdealer
11 hours ago, Jason said:

I am curious to find out what is next for them if they do survive as a studio. Where do they go? What do they do? They quite clearly need a massive rethink when it comes to what they want their games to be, and they also need a technical overhaul which in their case likely means UE5.

If by some slim margin they still exist months after they stop working on the reboot, I figure they will be support for gearbox and nothing more. If they even get a chance to develop a game on their own, it won't be for a very long time.

As for agents of mayhem, I would like to add that adding old saint characters did not help nor did having the fleur de lis as the agents logo. It felt like the devs weren't sure if to make it their own thing or make this the reboot for the saints.

• Like 1

The SR connection for AoM was purely for marketing. New IP's are risky and they had a lot of fans from SR, so they used the SR connection as a marketing tool so SR fans knew it was the new game from SR devs, with potential SR tie-ins.

AoM was Volition's leadership seeing the booming trend for hero based competitive games (like Overwatch, but also MOBA's) and thinking hey we can do that in a single player game! Problem was it came at a cost to one of the most popular features in those types of games, character customisation, and then they removed the thing that makes hero based games good which is team play/co-op. You and yer friends figure out combos that work well together, instead here you just swapped between characters while playing solo, a very bizarre decision design even today.

Legomanarthur

I still remember the faint hope I had for the Saints Row IP when the first AoM trailer dropped.

I thought this game would be Volition's attempt to put all their crazy ideas and gameplay into this new IP so that they would be able to reboot Saints Row into a more grounded game/story, that way fans of the extreme over-the-top style would have AoM to latch on to while fans of the more grounded Saints Row would finally have something to look forward to in a potential reboot. It was a hopeful but naive thought now that I look back on it. I figured they had to do something about Saints Row since they went as far as blowing up Earth and have the Saints live in space fighting aliens and demons or whatever. I mean, what's the point of continuing such premise if the Saints no longer have a "Row"?

AoM turned out to be a very different type of game than I anticipated and flopped, then Volition went back to Saints Row and made this complete failure of a reboot, and now here we are. They don't really have anything left, have they? A new Red Faction maybe? Or would they go as far as making another Saints Row? Like a sequel or another reboot? That wouldn't look good in my opinion and I don't think the IP is viable anymore. But they brought this upon themselves so I don't feel sympathy for them.

At this point I think their only options, if they have any real agency left, is to make a new IP or to focus on remastering/remaking previous games. Eh...

Edited by Legomanarthur
missed a t
  • Like 2

fJEUkTi.png

IMO the only redemption they'd have for SR is to go properly back to the roots, a classic SR, tons of customisation, gang life stuff, a real throwback to the classic 2000's era of open world crime games. Whether or not they want to do that, I dunno, but if they don't do that then whatever they do is going to be one mighty uphill battle. SR22 was being hyped to fail pre-release and while a small section of that was from idiots, there was a lot of very justified skepticism pre-release that was then validated at launch. The result of that is no one is gonna trust them if they come out saying "trust us, this time we've figured it out" if they try a new direction again.

• Like 3

Legomanarthur
6 hours ago, Jason said:

IMO the only redemption they'd have for SR is to go properly back to the roots, a classic SR, tons of customisation, gang life stuff, a real throwback to the classic 2000's era of open world crime games. Whether or not they want to do that, I dunno, but if they don't do that then whatever they do is going to be one mighty uphill battle. SR22 was being hyped to fail pre-release and while a small section of that was from idiots, there was a lot of very justified skepticism pre-release that was then validated at launch. The result of that is no one is gonna trust them if they come out saying "trust us, this time we've figured it out" if they try a new direction again.

I'd argue it's already too late for that. That's what a lot of us expected this reboot to be, and yet they still didn't listen. They had the perfect opportunity to make a comeback with a reboot of the franchise following the AoM flop and the years of making newer entries that further departed from the original identity and quality of the series. I mean, they had to know that going back to the crazy route once again would lead to the exact same corner they had put themselves in previously with SRTT/SR4/GOOH, right? I truly believe this reboot was a godsend for Volition to finally make things right with the Saints Row series and to ultimately win the fans back. As far as I'm concerned I was ready to give them another chance even though I was pretty disappointed in the state of the series back then.

But Volition are either completely dense or they've truly grown to despise the gangsta roots of Saints Row. It's as if going back to the roots of the series would make them admit defeat or something. They really have taken the GTA clone comparison to heart in such an unhealthy way that they've done nothing but double down on the over-the-top craziness after SR2. It worked with SRTT from a financial standpoint but I think Volition learned the wrong lesson there and decided to make it a staple of the series from that point onward. As expected, it quickly turned into a sh*tfest with no real future but Volition still didn't learn. Instead they chose the "easy route" by essentially making a new SRTT, which I'm fairly sure the release of its remaster a couple of years prior served as an appetizer of sort for what was to come.

They teased us with the tags on the mural, and IMO purposefully led us to believe that Saints Row was going back to its more grounded roots since tags were a thing in both SR1 and 2, which I think was fair for anyone to come to such conclusion, although prematurely. Then they released the CGI trailer which gave us our first proper glimpse at the new characters and a clearer idea of what the game was going to be, and everything fell apart. The way they handled criticisms on social media up to the release of the game didn't help their case either but I didn't really follow that controversy. But regardless, what they showed us didn't have that much appeal to begin with, even SRTT had a badass CGI trailer to set up hype.

Now, I have not played this game, nor do I ever plan in doing so, but from what I've seen this reboot looks like a modern SRTT with outdated gameplay mechanics for 2022 standards, with a bland cast of characters and an even blander story. And while Santo Ileso is more visually interesting than what Steelport ended up being, the map seems just as lifeless which quite a feat.

Ultimately, they ended up making a poor product in a desperate attempt to recapture the success of SRTT, but they couldn't recapture the passion of the original Saints Row fans as they did everything in their power to push them away.

I said it before but Volition had their chance. They stubbornly refused to listen to what fans were begging them to do for so long and now they pretty much have nothing left, deservedly so.

I'm only speaking for myself but even if Volition came up with an apology and the promise that Saints Row was going back to its roots I still wouldn't trust them, and I don't think other disappointed fans would too.

• Like 6

fJEUkTi.png

It's possible their chance is gone yea, but if they do have a path out I think that is the only one, doing it properly this time.

It just seems like Volition have absolutely no idea what their fanbase actually likes about their games. Like I said, it didn't even start with SR22, it started long before that was even a thing. Even post-SR3 it all started to get weird with SR4 being an expansion turned standalone, stuff like Gat Out of Hell. They even did it with Red Faction, Guerilla and it's open world gameplay was highly praised and then they changed it completely for Armageddon. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking? They've been lost for a long time now.

They had a good formula with Saints Row 1-2, even SR3 wasn't too mad, but then they just started making really unpopular changes to all their games and it drove each franchise into the ground. Just a bizarre story honestly, SR should be a staple open world crime franchise today.

• Like 3

I agree with Lego, i think its too late. I feel like me and alot of people who were original SR fans are just so turned off from the franchise. I was skeptical before the reboot, luckily i didnt preorder. I wont even consider picking up the next game, unless its on red dead redemption’s level or something. Im older now, im not just going to shell out money on bs games, i dont trust the company at all. 

• Like 3

Any studio is capable of a comeback, they wouldn't be the first to do it. But they would need to be very transparent and listen to the fans. A lot of SR22 was "trust us, you'll love it" and we saw how that went.

• Like 4

Legomanarthur

At this point I think there's a higher chance for Volition to announce a sequel to the reboot than to announce a return to form for Saints Row.

fJEUkTi.png

Ivan1997GTA
9 hours ago, Legomanarthur said:

At this point I think there's a higher chance for Volition to announce a sequel to the reboot than to announce a return to form for Saints Row.

That is, assuming the reboot doesn't kill the Saints Row franchise altogether.

I think that, after they're done with the reboot's DLC, Volition will layoff most of its staff.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA
  • Like 3

Deathdealer is probably right that they'll become support for Gearbox or some other Embracer studio. Though lay offs may still happen given the game bombed and Embracer are pissing money down the drain.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Lock n' Stock
On 7/7/2023 at 3:24 PM, deathdealer said:

Oh, here's that deleted post regarding the SR2 pc patch I mntioned above:

B6uq6TE.jpg

If this is indeed true, then my f*cking god. Imagine somehow making a broken PC port even less functional.

This is a new level of pathetic tbh, even for Volition. If this is the kind of thing we can expect from them at this point, then they may as well just be put out of their misery.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
deathdealer

To the surprise of no one who was paying attention, the third dlc is a larping one

• Best Bru 1

AC Schnitzer

And when You think Volition can't go any lower, they are digging hard. Larping DLC, really? They had the chance to fix the tragedy of the reboot with criminal DLCs, yet they go into larping. Eh. 

• Like 3

https://store.steampowered.com/app/742420/Saints_Row/

Finally got a Steam page, they've implied it will launch with a discount too. Even at 50% it's gonna be a wait, £5-£10 max or GP for me. Not to mention it's launching at a pretty awful time, a week before Starfield early access and 3 weeks after BG3, two of the three biggest PC releases this year lol.

deathdealer
4 hours ago, Jason said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/742420/Saints_Row/

Finally got a Steam page, they've implied it will launch with a discount too. Even at 50% it's gonna be a wait, £5-£10 max or GP for me. Not to mention it's launching at a pretty awful time, a week before Starfield early access and 3 weeks after BG3, two of the three biggest PC releases this year lol.

don't forget it's releasing the same day as armored core 6 so it's gonna be DOA.

Yea, that could be a big release too. It's been a long time since an AC game and it was never a huge huge franchise, will be interesting to see how big an effect having From's name on the box will have on sales nowadays after all their Soulsbornering success lol.

I imagine the only alternative was to delay the Steam version which made no sense really, the game is releasing literally the day after launch last year so the EGS deal was obviously a year, but it's ended up in the game releasing at just an awful time on Steam lol.

• Like 2

happygrowls

F2oXtb8WgAAqS4T?format=jpg&name=large

Final update to Saints Row 2022 is out, what a shame what happened to this game, both financially and critically.

We're never gonna get that SR2 fix are we?

• Like 2

Deep Silver bought Volition and thus Saints Row years ago, later Embracer acquired it and it's been under the Embracer umbrella ever since. This isn't new information.

What is different now is that Volition got moved under Gearbox which has potentially signaled an end, for now, for them making their own games. They may become a support studio for Gearbox and whatever they're working on now - likely Borderlands 4.

• Like 2

Lock n' Stock
On 8/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, deathdealer said:

To the surprise of no one who was paying attention, the third dlc is a larping one

That LARPing garbage was some of the most pathetic and unfunny load of dogsh*t I've ever seen. No surprise to see them doubling down with it. F*cking hacks Volition are.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

Lock n' Stock
8 hours ago, Legomanarthur said:

:jkek:

"In space, nobody can hear you cringe"

R.I.P Saints Row I guess. F*ck Volition.

Edited by Lock n' Stock
  • Like 2

Ivan1997GTA
On 8/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, Lock n' Stock said:

That LARPing garbage was some of the most pathetic and unfunny load of dogsh*t I've ever seen. No surprise to see them doubling down with it. F*cking hacks Volition are.

Honestly, I didn't mind the LARPing stuff too much in the Saints Row reboot, but even I would agree that it doesn't fit with the series. They should've made that a separate game without the Saints Row name attatched. The fact they chose this to close off the reboot's DLC expansions is quite laughable.

By the way, about the recent free update, has anyone checked if the ability to recruit/dismiss Saints members roaming the streets is included as part of the "new features and improvements"?

• Like 3

Blue carpet

I wish they would kill all the new characters by bringing back the old ones but the damage is done Volition lost their minds and the series is dead for now.

• Like 2

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.