happygrowls

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zello

• Jason

• kobeni

There was actually way less pressure on the developer back then to release working games. The rise of the internet, video sites and social media now means that broken games get absolutely butchered online - studios, community managers, developers, all are crucified. Back in the day it was a whole other ballgame, everything relied in large part on literal word of mouth, be it from talking to friends or from magazine reviews. The standard for technical things such as resolution and frame rate also didn't really exist on console, where as now people want and expect native 4k, 30fps modes, locked 60fps modes, HDR, etc, it cannot be understated how much more educated the average gamer is these days when it comes to that stuff.

It should also be mentioned that games nowadays are significantly more complex than games even as recent as the 360/PS3 generation. This isn't a get out of jail free card for developers but it is part of the reason why developers have struggled with the technical aspect of their games, and is also likely in large part the reason why we're seeing so many developers switch to UE5. Developing and maintaining in-house AA/AAA engines used to be very common, now it's becoming a thing reserved only for the mega companies (R*, Ubi, Blizzard, etc).

But anyway, in recent years developers and publishers have been getting away with it less and less. Cyberpunk was delisted on the PSN store for months and got an absolute kicking online, BF 2042 tanked, Saints Row tanked, etc. Covid has absolutely played a part in the many delays we've seen recently but I'd also be shocked if another big reason is that a growing amount of studios and publishers are terrified of releasing a broken game now.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jason said:

But anyway, in recent years developers and publishers have been getting away with it less and less. Cyberpunk was delisted on the PSN store for months and got an absolute kicking online, BF 2042 tanked, Saints Row tanked, etc. Covid has absolutely played a part in the many delays we've seen recently but I'd also be shocked if another big reason is that a growing amount of studios and publishers are terrified of releasing a broken game now.

This is gonna sound cruel but its probably for the better I guess, all things considered. With how disappointing games are becoming now with poor writing, broken games and heaps and heaps of microtransactions and season passes Covid or not, grain of salt, the consumers' voices are now being heard.

Maybe the investors and upper management might even finally come to their senses and pull their heads out of their asses and new ethical laws will get passed but I'm not really counting on it.

Edited by kobeni
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, Ivan1997GTA said:

Maybe it'll be a talk radio station AND a classical radio station? It could have talk shows spliced in along with classical songs in between. I think that would help spice the station up. And besides, Klassic 102.4 in Saints Row IV had Zinyak reading literature (like "Pride and Prejudice") in addition to playing classical music. A similar thing happens in Mafia III, where WBYU, in addition to playing music, also occasionally plays segments from Remy Duvall's "Native Son" talk show. I have a feeling that Santo Public Radio will be handled in a similar way.

Though, I don't see Kakts Radio anywhere on the radio wheel, I guess that station will be unlocked later in the story. Plus, I'm a tad bit disappointed that there aren't any radio stations carried over from the original series. I get that this is supposed to be a reboot, and all, but I thought that some of the old radio stations could make a return. Ah well. At least all of these radio stations are new. I'm guessing that these stations will be the counterparts to the old stations:

• Route Overdrive - GenX 89.0 and possibly the Mix 107.77? (I've noticed there's no throwback station this time around, unless the Outrun station will turn out to be one; maybe some of the stations will have a mix of old and new music)
  • The Cipher and Flex - 95.4 KRhyme FM
  • The Drop - K12 97.6
  • Santo Public Radio - Klassic 102.4
  • El Latido - Kabron 104.2
  • Nuclear Blast - Krunch 106.66 and The Blood 106.66

Well, in any case, I hope the music selection in the Saints Row reboot will be good.

That is correct. And you were right. The new radio stations are the new counterparts to the old radio stations:

• Route Overdrive - 89.0 Generation X
  • The Cipher - 95.4 KRhyme FM
  • The Drop - K12 97.6
  • Santo Public Radio - Klassic 102.4
  • Flex - Four-20 103.6
  • El Latido - Kabron 104.2
  • Dos Ochos and Tumbleweed Radio - 105.0 Ezzzy FM
  • Nuclear Blast - Krunch 106.66 and The Blood 106.66
  • Outrun - The Mix 107.77

Volition is surprised that radio stations has 6 male radio DJs, and 4 female radio DJs.

Edited by ajacraig2011

• 1 month later...
Testarossa

played about 10 or so hours during the xbox live weekend trial, can't say im too impressed. while customization and visuals are great, everything else feels shallow and undercooked. the main characters are so uninteresting and the dialogue sounds like it was written in a couple of hours, there's no incentive to keep going through the story because i just cannot relate to this new cast, and i'm saying this as someone who loved watch dogs 2. gameplay feels very repetitive with most missions consisting of driving and shooting down waves of enemies, and the fact that some of them have additional health bars just makes it very tedious to play through them.

performance wise, at least on series s, is not great. the game runs at an unlocked framerrate by default for some reason, and once you step into high density areas like the countryside and the main city it usually ends up dropping to 20-25 fps, making it terrible for combat or anything that requires quick reflexes. ive encountered quite a bit of pop in and a few visual bugs as well, the most annoying one being that after purchasing new clothes, the colors on the ones you're wearing will reset to default, so you have to go into the style menu and change them all over again. (at least its pretty quick to do so and i appreciate being able to edit your character on the spot)

so yeah, best way i'd describe it in short is like a worse version of the SR3 remaster, at least the city is more colorful than steelport which is great. i'm not sure if i'd recommend this even on sale tbh.

1597fbc8-eff4-4aa9-96c0-879b7fbf5249.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

image.png

twitter // instagram // #KB43VER

The game is firmly in the wait for it to hit Games Pass or be given out on EGS for me, lol.

I've touched on it a few times but this game came out at the perfect time, a dry period in an already dry year, but it still flopped. If it's going to try and have a comeback ala NMS, Cyberpunk etc then they'd have to knock it out of the planet nevermind the park given how busy 2023 is going to be. Got no reason to spend a penny on this with how many games I'll be buying this year.

• Like 1

AC Schnitzer

I really wanted this game to be great, since I loved all the previous games. Even the GooH, while mediocre was quite fun to play. But after seeing people's opinion and couple of reviews I'll wait for the game to be in Game Pass or Epic. Oh well. 

• Like 1

i bought the game on sale last month, i think its not as bad as people describe it, but i can understand their point

and the game is really (far) from well-polished, you experience unnecessary (mission breaking) bugs every couple time

imo this game and its setting/story has potential, but they didnt really make use of it, i think i am ~40/50% through story missions and most of the time its "drive to point a, shoot down enemy waves" and thats literally it

By all accounts it seems to be a very, very average 7/10 that's plagued with technical issues/shortcomings and bad writing. Customisation is widely praised, as is the map, gameplay seems to be more of the same, but the writing and technical issues are alarming to say the least.

Technical issues are hard to live with these days in games, and while the franchise isn't known for amazing writing it is known for having a quite beloved cast of characters, and SR22's cast obviously just gets no where near that.

deathdealer

I'm morbidly curious to see how the modding scene will be when it hits steam. I wonder if anyone will even bother? I guess it's up to volition if they do give it modding support, i do believe that's part of why the AoM modding scene didn't take off.

• Like 1

Bigglo145

The only mods i would want to see is more realistic gameplay. Give all enemies pistols and smgs, some ARs too. No hammers or whatever the other guys use.

Who wants to watch a 2 and a half hours long video on it?

• KEKW 1

• 2 weeks later...
happygrowls

Soundtrack finally out on Spotify and other platforms.

Roadmap for DLC and updates to come soon. Hopefully it's decent, but that's just me being hopeful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
KingAJ032304
On 2/19/2018 at 1:26 AM, Journey_95 said:

I vastly preferred Saints Row 3 and 4 to the first two which were poor GTA rip offs to me (the second one also tried too hard to be edgy) with no unique identity. SR3 and 4 were at least pretty fun.

I think a Saints Row 3 esque games with a better open world would be a good balance.

Till this date I genuinely can not understand how SRTT is fun to people. The idea is great but it has easily the worst execution in the series.

6 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Till this date I genuinely can not understand how SRTT is fun to people. The idea is great but it has easily the worst execution in the series.

I will tell you, its stupid easy to use fun game.

That game is stress reliever for me. Its like all the fun they cut from GTA V was transformed into this game.

SR3 and 4 are fast food games. They're fun.

They just have no lasting appeal and ultimately did nothing for the franchise.

Even though SR3 didnt match SR2 in any way, at least it was finally a new map and it added a few other things that gave it more of its own personality. But SR4 was a joke. Basically tacked on DLC made into its own game. SR3 didnt even have a day and night cycle for f*ck sake, for a 2011 game. That was criminal. Over 4 games we only got 2 maps. That sucked.

A lot of the enjoyability of SR2 was the fact that you were someone that could do ridiculous things, but the world stayed normal. SR3 and onwards made the average world seem ridiculous and crazy as well, so it wasnt as funny to throw a granny into orbit with cheats because she had just did a moonwalk prior to you attacking, it totally broke the immersion. It takes the fun out of it, if not even the game world takes itself seriously then why should I care when I do something silly, if everyone else already is already? I should be the only one subverting the seriousness, not the rest of the experience.

Anyway this current game kinda sucks balls. I do like that there are custom characters you can download that the community has made. Some are surprisingly quite accurate, to the point where I see one and actually know who it is despite that person not being very well known by myself, so if I can tell who it is and I don't even watch the TV show or movie the person is from then thats pretty good work. I do like the driving, its still terrible, but its slightly above the last few games where now there is some nice suspension when offroading which is kinda fun for a basic game like this. At least it improved by 0.1%. What I DON'T like is the gunplay and the guns and the shooting, which is basically 50% of the game other than driving. It is god awful, even with all difficulty settings lowered to the lowest setting, it takes way too long to kill people, guns are WAY too inaccurate. All the guns are huge and oversized and don't look normal at all. Have weird magazine capacities (24 rounds for an AK? wtf?) etc. Just very poor effort, especially considering SR3 and SR4 it was somewhat acceptable for the game that it was in. That was way more satisfying. I have no idea why they tried to make it like an RPG style design with health bars and damage numbers. Its stupid because its just a way to pad out the game and make it take longer, not to actually add challenge. Like I said when I had this issue with The Division when it came out. In this universe JFK would have survived that Carano shot to the head as a light scratch based off how ballistics work in these games. If that were what bullets did to people in just a t-shirt, then guns would have been scrapped years ago in favour for rollerskates and melee attacks.

Anyway the game isn't fun, they also removed a lot of the hilarity with the tit and ass jiggle, and a lot of the filthy attire. Which kind of was innovative at the time for a game to have. Largely it is a really dull experience.

My least favorite thing to do in games of this era of the last 6-8 years is have to complete story missions in an open world game. A lot of the enjoyment is free roaming and collecting stuff naturally and upgrading features. It really takes the wind out my sails when I have to deal with QTEs and annoying setpieces that I dont give two f*cks about.

Many games fail these days because they never found a good gameplay hook that is enjoyable that the game is built around. Now most games are built around busywork and wasting your time, subbing in for actually fun gameplay that you want to have. For example the Just Cause series. Yeah, not exactly super high quality, but at LEAST it had the parachute and wingsuit gimmick from the get go, and it is fun, so the world based around that feature makes the game fun and replayable. What is the core gameplay fun feature here? Annoyances and slowdowns for every piece of progression? Eat my sack thanks.

• Like 3
kT8ve9H.png

14 minutes ago, Daz said:

But SR4 was a joke. Basically tacked on DLC made into its own game.

Funny thing is, SRIV as we know it originally started life as a standalone DLC expansion for Saints Row: The Third, called "Enter the Dominatrix", but the DLC was scrapped and made into a numbered sequel to SRTT, while the "Enter the Dominatrix" title was repurposed for one of the game's DLC stories.

17 minutes ago, Daz said:

I have no idea why they tried to make it like an RPG style design with health bars and damage numbers. Its stupid because its just a way to pad out the game and make it take longer, not to actually add challenge.

I agree. I believe that health bar and damage numbers mechanic was actually taken from Agents of Mayhem. Mechanics like that have no place in a Saints Row game.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, B Dawg said:

Who wants to watch a 2 and a half hours long video on it?

Worth mentioning is that TheProfessional also did a video of that length. :yee:

It's really all of this game that I needed to see in the end. Such an embarrassment. If these losers ever were to try and join the real Saints, Johnny would just accidentally kill them in one punch mid-canonizing. :jkek:

I wonder if they're even going to bother releasing story DLC at this point.

I paid $30 extra dollars ($89 total) for the deluxe edition which entails the "expansion pass". They should definitely refund people's money if the story DLC doesn't end up materializing. 

Edited by Original Light

Cancelling and refunds would be a mess given the bundles.

I imagine they'll do the bare minimum what they're expected to do, put out the DLC, then move on very quickly.

I do expect we'll be seeing this turn up on subscription services very soon - be it Games Pass, PS++++++, Amazon Prime, Humble, or whatever.

• Like 1

I finally played a bit of this today and, I don't hate it. It's not good, mind you, but I don't hate it. Maybe all the whining and complaining from fans of the originals and the fact that I always thought the originals were pretty awful just set the bar so low it couldn't help but be at least surprisingly... okay. 

The shooting was actually pretty decent once I turned down the enemy bullet spongey-ness and I don't really have any problems with any of the characters so far but it's the world that really stands out to me. I just really like the environment so far. It's got an instantly noticeable and unique enough vibe to it that I didn't mind just wandering around a bit.

Of course, there's negatives, though. First off is the performance. I'm pretty new to PC gaming so my first instinct when a game isn't running well is that it's something on my end but I can play GTA V and both the PS5 Spider-Man games on top settings without a problem so there's really no excuse for Saints Row to have worse pop in than I ever saw on a PS2 open world game. Worse even than that 187 game sometimes.

Then there's the story. I'm only a few missions in and it's already fallen apart. With the plot revolving around being poor and needing money I figured this was always going to be the case but I never imagined it'd fall apart so quickly. The second mission has us robbing a place for rent money but, on the way to the robbery I stopped at two dumpsters and scored $4,000. Just made the robbery seem silly. Even if you assume the rent is way more than that (which makes sense given the price of clothing) there's dumpsters all over the place. Not to mention literally pallets worth of drugs. And after that second mission at least a dozen other odd job opportunities get peppered all over the map.

What's worse is they commit that first crime as casually as going to the store for some milk. I can suspend my disbelief for any number of over the top things that have and will happen in the game but it's really tough to get past the idea that these kids, who are clearly very comfortable with committing crime, have been struggling to get by in a town so full of criminal opportunity. Again, I'm still very early but I don't see any sign that this is a problem the writers even see so I can't imagine them weaving in a fix for it. But, again, this is Saints Row. I wasn't expecting anything near good out of the story or the characters.

The thing that probly bugs me the most, though, is the character movement. Either in a car or on foot there's just something off that's hard to describe. It feels sluggish but also hyper responsive at the same time. I feel like this is going to be something I either get used to pretty quick or it's going to drive me away from the game within the next to play sessions.

But still, like I said, I don't hate the game. I can deal with the pop-in, I've gotten far too used to games with bad writing, and it's so far quite a bit better than I expected. I'm really enjoying the world and the chaotic shootouts so far, though. For now it's a bit of dumb fun that'll pass the time for at least a little while.

I do hope that they can take the feedback from this game (that isn't pure hate) and create a better game. I also hope the Story DLC does something because Santo Illeso has alot of potential, perhaps more gangs that aren't underwhelming, or a NOTSTAG police faction.

• Like 1

A DLC is not going to salvage this mess.

This franchise died after the second game, and this reboot is here to prove that the old saying "Let sleeping dogs lie" is always correct.

• Like 1