Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,005 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
happygrowls

New Saints Row Game Confirmed

luisniko
Posted (edited)

Another thing I'd like to point out between Saints Row 2 and 3 is the art style. Despite the more simpilistic graphics, the characters in 1 and 2 at least looked like real human beings somewhat. I never was a fan of the art style in 3 and 4. I felt the characters looked overly bulky, glossy and just plain weird, and as a result recurring characters don't resemble their older selves as much as they should.

SR2 male protagonist model and the clothing selection was good. Female protagonist was absolutely terrible.

Since SR2 has my SR3 Boss' voice setting, I tried to make it to look as close to my SR3 boss and she looked like a rejected barbie doll with tummy, thigh gap, and O legs.

Edited by luisniko

Hmmm nice bike

I honestly never would have noticed, but then I never played as a female character except maybe once. If they did indeed look that terrible in 2, then at least 3 tried to make changes (even though the male characters still looked too bulky). I think the one thing I actually liked about SR3's character creator was the detail you could put into someone's face compared to previous games. I actually managed to make the protagonist resemble myself a little more, which I thought was amazing at the time.

SR2 was still an improvement over SR1 though, where no matter what you did your guy was always squinty-eyed and his facial expression hardly seemed to change.

Ivan1997GTA

Two minor things that need to be brought back in the new Saints Row game are drugs, alcohol and improvised weapons.

In the first Saints Row game, you can purchase different types of booze and weed at liquor stores. If you drink booze, it will increase the power of your melee attacks, sorta like a superpower before getting superpowers in Saints Row IV, but your vision will become ripply and blurry the more you drink. If you smoke weed, your damage resistance will increase. The more you smoke, the more invincible you become, and, of course, your vision will be more distorted the more you smoke. Drugs and alcohol have become more common in Saints Row 2, but there's only one type of each available: a blunt and a 45 oz. Also, they will only distort the screen and you don't get any kind of powers from them.

And as for improvised weapons, they are featured in Saints Row 2. There are lots of objects that can be picked up and used as temporary melee weapons, like chairs, bottles, traffic signs, tires, fire hydrants, and lots of other stuff, which can also be thrown. In a way, booze bottled are kind of weapons, since when the protagonist throws it after drinking the contents, and if the bottle comes in contact with a pedestrian, they get hurt. It was kind of a missed opportunity to make the 45 oz. bottle into an improvised weapon, like a broken bottle that can be used like a knife. I know, it's not much, but I thought improvised weapons were kind of a neat feature. Improvised weapons did not return in Saints Row: The Third. They kind of did in Saints Row IV with the telekinesis superpower, but picking up an object with your mind and throwing it is not the same as picking up an object with your hands and beating someone up with it and/or throwing it.

Hmmm nice bike

I completely forgot about how drinking and getting high in 1 would give you some extra abilities. I'm surprised that never returned, and that would be another good replacement for superpowers. Just get high and you can take more damage.

Yes on bringing back improvised weapons. That was an awesome thing to have in 2 (as silly as it was to see your character something pulling out street signs and fire hydrants that are bolted to the ground), and I'm surprised that never returned in 3 except for that wrestling mission.

Darth Yokel

Don't forget that you could learn different fighting styles in SR2. Most people seem to have forgotten about that.

It's a flawed gem, but the emphasis is more on it being a gem.

Hmmm nice bike

And stuff like that is the reason why SR2 is a much more fondly remembered game. It wasn't a complete masterpiece and it definitely had its flaws, but it was still an amazing game for its time and a game that you could tell the developers didn't completely sink into laziness with (and before THQ's issues also helped drag things down with their laziness). They made a better game in 2 years than they did in the 3 years that it took to make SR3. And much like with Red Faction Guerilla (certainly what you could call the 'Saints Row 2' of that series) to RF Armageddon, Volition chose the easy and lazy way out with Saints Row and made lackluster sequels instead of improving even further on what they could and trying to keep things that made the previous games great. I think they just lost their focus back then.

Mokrie Dela

Defo feel like playing 1 and 2 again now. Was considering starting the gta series again but I think I'll play the saints rows first

Darth Yokel
Posted (edited)

Volition

They used to be amazing. To this day I think The Punisher from 2005 is one of the greatest comic book games ever made. It was kind of a movie tie-in, but not really. The only thing that carried over from the movie was Thomas Jane as Frank Castle and that level with the Russian assassin at his apartment. The rest of the stuff was directly from the old comic books, including Punisher's appearance. And Nick Fury, Black Widow, Iron Man and Daredevil made an appearance.

Everything about that game was well designed. Upgrades made sense, trying to get gold medals in every level was challenging but fun as f*ck and even the music was incredible. For a supposedly cheap movie tie-in it was a remarkable piece of work. Listen to this theme:

So yeah, Volition used to be truly amazing.

Edited by Darth Yokel

Hmmm nice bike

Defo feel like playing 1 and 2 again now. Was considering starting the gta series again but I think I'll play the saints rows first

This is why I'm still glad to have a 360, and my old copies of Saints Row 1 and 2. Once I have the time to, I think I'll play through those again, too.

They used to be amazing. To this day I think The Punisher from 2005 is one of the greatest comic book games ever made. It was kind of a movie tie-in, but not really. The only thing that carried over from the movie was Thomas Jane as Frank Castle and that level with the Russian assassin at his apartment. The rest of the stuff was directly from the old comic books, including Punisher's appearance. And Nick Fury, Black Widow, Iron Man and Daredevil made an appearance.

Everything about that game was well designed. Upgrades made sense, trying to get gold medals in every level was challenging but fun as f*ck and even the music was incredible. For a supposedly cheap movie tie-in it was a remarkable piece of work.

So yeah, Volition used to be truly amazing.

I never played The Punisher, but it doesn't look like a bad game for something that was probably seen at first as just a movie tie-in. You can tell they actually worked hard on the game, too. One classic Volition title that I love is Red Faction. The first game in the entire series, a first person shooter and something that was seen by many as just a cheap ripoff of Half Life, but they still managed to make it unique in its own way. The story of a revolution against a company that controls mining operations on Mars was interesting (the whole plot and feel that the game has reminds me of Paul Verhoeven's movies like Total Recall and Robocop), the levels throughout the game had a ton of variety and didn't all feel the same (mines, corporate offices, science labs, etc.), and the destruction that you could cause, while it looks kind of outdated now, was unparalleled for a game from 2001.

Pretty much anything could be blown apart, and this was expanded further by 2009's Red Faction Guerilla (even though you could no longer create caves or destroy the ground or rocks,

). And as I mentioned on another page, I always found it neat how they set Saints Row in the same timeline/universe as Red Faction. Ultor was the main antagonist in Red Faction 1 and SR2, we find out how the company started and how they expanded, Dane Vogel ended up getting a mountain on Mars named after him (as we found out by RFG, when the last mission took place there), there was nothing that made either game a direct sequel or prequel to each other, but plenty of references tied the two series nonetheless.

Of course, this all got thrown out the window eventually, and it's a reminder of how Volition could have still been making awesome games and improving on already-existing franchises instead of ruining them.

Mokrie Dela

This is why I'm still glad to have a 360, and my old copies of Saints Row 1 and 2. Once I have the time to, I think I'll play through those again, too.

Hell yeah

The Punisher

The special kill animations too. Loved them. That game was good. I'd forgotten about that. No idea it was volition