Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,674 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
happygrowls

New Saints Row Game Confirmed

happygrowls

THQ Nordic has bought Koch Media for 121m euros.

Koch Media owns Deep Silver, who publish games developed by Volition, who made Saints Row and the recently released Agents of Mayhem.

According to this article, Deep Silver are working on four major projects at the moment, which include Metro Exodus, Dead Island 2, an unannounced game from Dambuster (Homefront devs) and... a new Saints Row game from Volition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-14-de-blob-owner-thq-nordic-buys-saints-row-and-dead-island-owner-koch-media-for-121m-euro

"THQ Nordic boss Lars Wingefors said it reckons Deep Silver will release at least four ongoing triple-A projects, including Metro Exodus, the next game from Volition (a new Saints Row) and the next triple-A game from Dambuster. In May 2017, Deep Silver told Eurogamer Dead Island 2 was still alive, despite no news emerging on the game in over a year. It's in the works at UK studio Sumo Digital."

This also means THQ have full control over the Saints Row franchise again, and as such, could possibly make the game more grounded like Saints Row 1/2 and to an extent, 3.

Do you think they will announce the new SR at E3? Or will there be a wait given the recent release of AoM?

Uncle Sikee Atric

THQ Nordic has bought Koch Media for 121m euros.

Koch Media owns Deep Silver, who publish games developed by Volition, who made Saints Row and the recently released Agents of Mayhem.

According to this article, Deep Silver are working on four major projects at the moment, which include Metro Exodus, Dead Island 2, an unannounced game from Dambuster (Homefront devs) and... a new Saints Row game from Volition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-14-de-blob-owner-thq-nordic-buys-saints-row-and-dead-island-owner-koch-media-for-121m-euro

"THQ Nordic boss Lars Wingefors said it reckons Deep Silver will release at least four ongoing triple-A projects, including Metro Exodus, the next game from Volition (a new Saints Row) and the next triple-A game from Dambuster. In May 2017, Deep Silver told Eurogamer Dead Island 2 was still alive, despite no news emerging on the game in over a year. It's in the works at UK studio Sumo Digital."

This also means THQ have full control over the Saints Row franchise again, and as such, could possibly make the game more grounded like Saints Row 1/2 and to an extent, 3.

Do you think they will announce the new SR at E3? Or will there be a wait given the recent release of AoM?

AoM looks likely to have further DLC and I doubt there will be much about a new Saints Row game this year. I doubt there will be little more than an announcement and a website to follow before Christmas.

Next year seems a better year for announcements.

Am Shaegar

Going back to the original saints row 1 roots will be a good idea. It'll generate a lot of enthusiasm for the series.

Daz

It would be inevitable that Saint's Row would return. I am just hoping they put more time and focus into whatever comes next. They had a horrible habit of reusing the same map multiple times and really just making 0.5 version updates instead of true sequels. And to this day we have not had a "Next Gen" only version of a Saint's Row game. Hopefully with that extra power they can squeeze more out of it.

What I would have imagined if they continue the same storyline is effectively Mass Effect level space travel to multiple free roam cities on different planets. But I personally would like for it to be a little more grounded. Even included 3 or even 4 player story co-op. Still have the main focus on a fun sandbox environment that is infinitely fun to mess around with like it felt in SR2. I was not a massive fan of the superhero abilities, but it did add a little more to the unlocking arch. It just seemed to make vehicles and guns obsolete very quick. So if they could adapt that to merge better between everything that would be best. I still feel it's best themes are always those of parody and humour. I care less about the actual characters in the game than I do those specific parody and referential moments. So any matrix type plotline usually had the best potential to offer a full range of crazy situations.

I just would like the overall engine improved the most. For all this craziness we need the finest level of ragdoll ever devised, I want to piss myself laughing every time I shoot someone or run them over, rather than them feeling more like empty paper bags. I want the vehicles to handle at least 3 times better as they did previously, and the guns to be fully customizable and feel actually fun and meaty to use. Sometimes far too much of something really makes it boring. Just bringing the fun back to it's base level of pimp slapping gannys on the beach is good enough for me.

Edited by Daz

Darth Yokel

I don't care how crazy they go with it (at this point I'm fully expecting it) as long as character creator is robust and they give us a new, exciting playground.

jaljax

It'd be great to see them go back to gangster type roots that SR 1 & 2 had , but i really hope they're not going back to that wacky alien sh*t SR4 had & i also really hope we don't go back to the lazy developed map called Steelport

Noale

The best news here for me is the THQ name still being around. I believe they went bankrupt a few years ago and had to sell all of their assets. It's nice to see them get some things back.

As for Saints Row. I hope they put more effort into it than SR4 and Gat out of Hell. They both recycled way too much stuff from SR3.

The N. Bellic Man

I am just hoping they put more time and focus into whatever comes next. They had a horrible habit of reusing the same map multiple times and really just making 0.5 version updates instead of true sequels.

Sometimes far too much of something really makes it boring. Just bringing the fun back to it's base level of pimp slapping gannys on the beach is good enough for me.

But without reusing the same map there wouldn't be SR2's map which is the best of them all. Technically it's a new map but it still contains same basic structure (plus additional areas and some changes).

Amen to that latter part. If it's going to be aliens and dildos again with a less than inspiring map I'm not that interested. Businesswise it would also be smart to visit those gangsta roots, since there is almost no competition on that department. Every open world game nowadays tries to be everything but a pure gangsta game. Even back in the day San Andreas didn't have balls to be straight up gangsta game.

Tokasmoka

I liked the first installment, took a hiatus for gaming for a bit then all of sudden there were aliens wtf? I thought SR was suppose to be a GTA clone then GTA went all SR, now I am confuzzled and disappointed and a little sleepy.

Ivan1997GTA

It'd be great to see them go back to gangster type roots that SR 1 & 2 had , but i really hope they're not going back to that wacky alien sh*t SR4 had & i also really hope we don't go back to the lazy developed map called Steelport

I don't care how crazy they go with it (at this point I'm fully expecting it) as long as character creator is robust and they give us a new, exciting playground.

Agreed. If the next Saints Row game gets announced, I hope it'll have the same type of character clothing customization seen in the first 2 Saints Row games, possibly made more in-depth. I'm thinking the next Saints Row game will probably be like a reboot of the series (with some of the original characters showing up).

OurJud

The SR games are too silly for my tastes.

I didn't really need to share this fact, did I?

Exkabewbikadid

I put off playing SR4 and Gat out of Hell until last fall because I doubted I'd even like them, but much to my surprise I found the super hero simulator to be entertaining enough that I didn't really care that they were reusing SR3's map. I loved unlocking upgrades until I felt more badass than Roman's bowling ball as I sprinted through traffic.

Still, I'd like to see a return to the first two games to some extent. If only they could accomplish the same level of sophisticated car handling as GTA and Mafia along with totally absurd ragdoll physics. Bring the grappix up to date and add a good variety of detailed and highly destructible interiors. I wanna go trail blazin' through posh office complexes.

I donut Gibbons a shloot about the story though. Just keep the game true to the humor of the series.

thatstupidbug

up until the first news/trailer, this will be on top of "shut up and take my money" list.

I'm so f****** HYPED!!!

Lock n' Stock

Maybe it would be logical to reboot the timeline for a start, retcon the events of 3 and 4. As much fun as I had with those, there was alot of silly decisions Volition made.

Honestly, I've never seen a franchise jump the shark so much. Pretty ironic saying that considering SR3 had a "Shark Gun" as DLC. :sarcasm:

ClaudeSpeed1911

A reboot with the tone of Saints 2 and you have a winner on your hands. Especially with the insultig GTA Online focus these days.

Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911

Jason

If they don't go back to their roots all I ask is they at least bring the colour back. For all their increasing lunacy, SR3 and SR4 are two of the drabbest f*cking games I've ever played.

Zello

Please go back to its gangster roots

[Video]

deathdealer

unsurprising but welcomed none the less. PLEASE! For all that is good in the world, go back to your SR2 roots. It had the right blend of wacky and serious. SR3 had too much wackiness and sex jokes and while I had fun with 4, I like the game to be more grounded.

luisniko

I completely burned out by Volition after seeing they put AoM 'complete' pack on sale right after they released the last DLC. I know there are factors but still..

Anyway Saints Row or not, they should make a game that comes with their forte: customisation.

Zello

This year makes the 10th anniversary of Saints Row 2 I hope they release a remaster but they probably won't I'd love to see a Saints Row 1 and 2 Remaster.

D9fred95

This year makes the 10th anniversary of Saints Row 2 I hope they release a remaster but they probably won't I'd love to see a Saints Row 1 and 2 Remaster.

Otherwise this would be the perfect year to make them BC on XB1.

Am Shaegar

Try launching a poll on their website/twitter to see what gamers want, whether going back to the roots, or something else. It'll give them a good idea of what they should create for the next SR game.

RetroMystic

I felt genuinely happy hearing Saints Row and Volition were back under THQs wing. The best thing I hope for is that THQ pull the leash on Volition and actually make them pump out a game that actually has more substance than we got with IV, GOH and AoM.

I'm under the same opinion that SR should return to it's grounded SR 1 & 2 era roots, being grounded while balancing the silly aspects creating a satisfying game as opposed to "Le silly fun tiems xD look! aliens! hahahahahahah we're so quirky" creating a game that's good for what...a weekend? I still fire up a game of Saints Row 1 or 2 from time to time because they are great games. I can't say the same for IV, GOH and to some extent, The Third.

Edited by RetroMystic

Ivan1997GTA

I felt genuinely happy hearing Saints Row and Volition were back under THQs wing. The best thing I hope for is that THQ pull the leash on Volition and actually make them pump out a game that actually has more substance than we got with IV, GOH and AoM.

I'm under the same opinion that SR should return to it's grounded SR 1 & 2 era roots, being grounded while balancing the silly aspects creating a satisfying game as opposed to "Le silly fun tiems xD look! aliens! hahahahahahah we're so quirky" creating a game that's good for what...a weekend? I still fire up a game of Saints Row 1 or 2 from time to time because they are great games. I can't say the same for IV, GOH and to some extent, The Third.

Let's just hope they don't cut so much content that they decide to cut even more content from the game, like how it happened with SRTT.

Cosmic Gypsy

Although i would welcome another more grounded, gangster game (GTA's failing more and more in that regard)... This is Saints Row 5 and i'm pretty sure it's going to be pure childish nonsense again.

Coin

The best news here for me is the THQ name still being around. I believe they went bankrupt a few years ago and had to sell all of their assets. It's nice to see them get some things back.

As for Saints Row. I hope they put more effort into it than SR4 and Gat out of Hell. They both recycled way too much stuff from SR3.

This is actually Nordic Games, not anything to do with THQ proper. They simply rebranded for market recognition purposes after acquiring some of THQ's assets in the wake of their bankruptcy.

Best not to put too much stock into the three letters of this equation.

jaljax

They already confirmed this by saying they have no plan's to remaster it , but i think it's likely they'll make it backward's compatible .

If it already is then sorry because i'm not a Xbox person so i wouldn't know..

Input

They just better make it count this time. The last three installments are why they are in the financial mess that they are (don't even get me started on AoM). I mean, to make a long story short if they botch another Saints Row game then I'd say that's it for Volition.

Edited by Input

luisniko

Won't happen unless they grab their balls back, grow a backbone, and ignore those who called Saints Row is a GTA clone and also write the game without being affected by anyone. They made a gangster game filled with street punks going big and are afraid to use the word 'Ho'.

Journey_95

I vastly preferred Saints Row 3 and 4 to the first two which were poor GTA rip offs to me (the second one also tried too hard to be edgy) with no unique identity. SR3 and 4 were at least pretty fun.

I think a Saints Row 3 esque games with a better open world would be a good balance.