2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

fw3

[GTAO] I Think the Game May Be Against Me!

[GTAO] I Think this Game May Be Against Me!  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think GTAO is custom designed to work against players?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (with explanation below)
    • Other (with explanation below)

Ice_cold2016

Definitely.

I don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but just look at the cooldown time. For instance, what's the point in waiting 20 minutes to export another car? Or more than half an hour if I don't sell solo?

Nonsensical money wipe? Anyone?

Also, speaking of the latest addition/DLC, the enemies in the Doomsday heists are ridiculously overpowered.

The devs clearly doesn't want the player to earn that much money.

I find the enemies on the Doomsday heists not too bad. They are military so wearing bullet proof stuff. But them little gangsters on Import Export are something else. They even catch you 1 shot 1 kill as soon as you respawn miles away.

HeavyDuke

Of course it is.

I bet that AI loved the Burnout series. TAKEDOWN!!!

I find the enemies on the Doomsday heists not too bad. They are military so wearing bullet proof stuff. But them little gangsters on Import Export are something else. They even catch you 1 shot 1 kill as soon as you respawn miles away.

Just think of every ganger to be this guy.

BhLrxJk.gif

Edited by HeavyDuke

Sanches

Recently i wanted to play with the driving AI and now it seems that they become aggressive only when you gain some amount of speed. Usually speed must be faster than theirs. When i rolled on super sonic speed and saw that AI is going to intercept me, i quickly hit the brakes and the AI car even more quickly returned to his previous line.
But the speed theory can't explain that gif where dude was staying afk away from AI driving pathes and still got hit. I also noted that AI cars can move sideways just like a shipyard crane. That's looks even beyond of ridiculous level and feels like a strong spit to the face from Rockstar.
I want to test some other thing out. Somebody mentioned that AI just copies our buttons input. I wanna check how is it gonna work with macros. Like switching A and D buttons places.

Edited by Sanches

Arrows to Athens

Of course it is. I made a forum post about this early 2017 and it made it into Kotaku. The Kotaku article seemed to think people were paranoid. But Import Export is a perfect example of that. Whenever you go to collect a car 2 or 3 of the enemy A.I instantly run and take cover behind the car you need to collect so it get's shot up and takes damage. And once you finally get the car the enemy A.I has super accurate shot and can even shoot around corners and through walls and such. And the traffic goes extra crazy and tries to make you crash. I captured many examples of this ages ago.

And why else do you think they give you real stupidly slow vehicles on sales missions, biker, gun running and CEO crates and then force you to drove stupidly long distances.

I'm genuinely beginning to think that Take 2 Much Interactive is telling the Cockstar programmers what to do, and this is the end result.

HeavyDuke

I'm genuinely beginning to think that Take 2 Much Interactive is telling the Cockstar programmers what to do, and this is the end result.

That moment when Take-two finds out you are filling your pockets with what should have been a couple of cashcard sales they will come at you will a fully fledged hard on.

Your listing has been removed: Copyright Violation - Software licensing
We encourage you to contact Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. directly if you have any questions.
You can send an email to:

zecanelao

Is it my "luck" or the traffic lights are always red? If I cross several traffic lights in a row, every single one is always red. I never see green lights in this game.

Edited by zecanelao

hugh750

i've had times where i would be driving on a four lane road and i would be in the #1 lane and a npc driver in the #2 lane would make a left turn in front of me.

and i've also had times where i would be driving on one of the freeways and have a npc driver break check me.

and i had times where i would go through a intersection and have npc driver hit the gas causing me to hit them.

besides that my only other complaint about this game is caused by griefers.

(i had to retype this reply because gtaforums disconnected on me). :lol:

Cheesy_wotsit

But to what extent could the game be designed in such a way?

• Higher level draws more aggressive responses
  • Vehicle behaviors (ie. smoking Buzzard, declined car acceleration)
  • Lobby placement based on player behavior patterns
  • The amount of GTA$ money a player has triggers code to react differently
  • Weapon choices and weapon wheel impacts game reaction
  • Vehicle choices cause traffic to move differently
  • Algorithmic responses to predictable behaviors

None of those, the reality is quite a few of those factors require complex monitoring algorithims that in turn requires a decent back end infrastructure to monitor and then implement and a fair amount of pre set up money and time to implement and the simple fact is Rockstar just do not have that, Rockstar is all about doing things as cheaply and as simply as they can. So terminator style enemies will be terminator style enemies no matter what level, weapon choice, or ability of player. Players are making money doing missions with bad guys too quickly then just give all the new bad guys more health. Their is no finesse or skill involved in anything that Rockstar do it is simple sledgehammer coding, what's the quickest easiest and cheapest solution to our problem and in most cases the problem is players aren't opening their wallets and emptying the contents in to our bank account enough.

Any motes of player specific response or behaviours are simple cases of the AI being dumb as a post. NPCs that without fail go full retard whenever a player is on a mission isn't because the player has a high level or the game has twigged that that they have a higher than usual money count or that the car they are in is better suited to deal with retard NPCs it's because the NPCs have been coded to do that no matter what and the thing is if it was done with a bit of skill with a bit of finesse with a bit of reason it would actually create genuine tense and interesting situations but because they do it EVERY f*ckING TIME you are on a mission it just becomes nothing more than annoying and that's what it all omes down to it's about making the task of playing the game, specifically making money, as annoying as possible.

Forza Harrd

The AI traffic when you're trying to export a car is laughable. Cars cross right in front of you like they rarely do under typical circumstances.

Or doing a time trial. OMG

xwinkx_girlYakuza

One thing that drives me absolutely livid is the Cargobob glitch. The one where it detaches your vehicle cargo for no reason.. coz i'm sure they realized making the I/E so lucrative was a mistake. If you notice the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack has no vehicle warehouse :monocle:

ps. and as for the traffic it gets worse to the point that random npc would literally do a complete 180 onto your lane for no reason when you're trying to deliver your vehicle cargo.

Edited by xwinkx_girlYakuza

LeakyLine

I have a "You don't f*ck me over and get away with it" mindset. So you can imagine my proper rage when some civilian runs me over and they manage to get away from me killing them because another civilian ran me over. Makes me mad thinking about it. ):<

Edited by LeakyLine

Blasterman4EVER

Ammo disappears.
Nobody gets invited to custom jobs.
Mysteriously, sessions lag out in the middle of CEO/MC sales.
Reporting system is not as effective as it should be at removing degenerate scum from online.
Cops swarm your MC businesses at the most inopportune times, ALWAYS.

Yes, the game works against players.

Edited by Blasterman4EVER

fw3

Ammo disappears.

I am still completely befuddled that after all this time, my Grenade Launcher is STILL totally useless.

[bUY ALL AMMO?] yes

[GRENADES IN LAUNCHER?] zero

<sigh>

Ice_cold2016

Of course it is. I made a forum post about this early 2017 and it made it into Kotaku. The Kotaku article seemed to think people were paranoid. But Import Export is a perfect example of that. Whenever you go to collect a car 2 or 3 of the enemy A.I instantly run and take cover behind the car you need to collect so it get's shot up and takes damage. And once you finally get the car the enemy A.I has super accurate shot and can even shoot around corners and through walls and such. And the traffic goes extra crazy and tries to make you crash. I captured many examples of this ages ago.

And why else do you think they give you real stupidly slow vehicles on sales missions, biker, gun running and CEO crates and then force you to drove stupidly long distances.

Dan Houser said that GTAV Online is the game they wanted to make way back in 2001 when making GTA3 but the technology wasn't there. Then in early 2010 a weird interview with Dan Houser appeared in a British paper (The article was only posted on the papers website and soon removed for some odd reason) It was a bit weird and the guy who wrote the article was a friend of Dan's and they met in seedy backstreet bar in London under the cover of darkness to talk about what would go on to be GTAV Online. Dan mentioned in the interview that the game would be choice like never before and he leaked a ton of stuff that would be in the game (Maybe why the article was soon removed) That all turned out to be true. So i think the idea is Rockstars but Take Poo Interactive have jumped in and got them add shark cards and make the gameplay the way it is to encourage shark card sales.

DentureDynamite

As always, great post topic!

And YES, the game is in-variable-y against players. We've all seen Fun 2's posts with the myriad of variables just for a single weapon that Rockstar can tweak at a whim, literally changing the game for any object or action at any time they feel like it, leaving players in the dark and guessing as to what's actually going on behind the scenes.

Rockstar's (semi-understandable) reasons for ratcheting up aggressiveness include:

* Difficulty increases as players gain rank.

* Player access to new armored vehicles and high-powered weaponry against the LSPD and NOOSE who have the same weapons and lack of armor.

* GTA Online economy: Players are making too much money too quickly between updates. Plus Shark Card sales and giving players incentive to work for GTA$ so they can buy new items. Makes sense to some degree--in Watch Dogs, players have massive amounts of easily-hacked money, but with virtually nothing to spend it on.

Player's understandable response to this:

* Kamikaze NPC cars are just blatantly obnoxious, constantly breaking game immersion--it's like having a "modder" screw with your game...except it's Rockstar behind the wheel. e.g. Real-life drivers quickly turn away from an approaching car; not steer into its path. Many NPC vehicles will actually do just that--steer into your path, or suddenly do a U-turn into your lane, or slow down as they cross the street ahead of you just enough as you approach so as to collide with you--unless you suddenly change speed. This is no "accident" or bad scripting on Rockstar's part; it's a deliberate action to impede player progress and make them fail whatever they are doing. It gets ramped up when you have a wanted level. Just go back and drive the same streets/paths with traffic on in a contact mission, and notice the vast difference.

* Downright ridiculous game play--ever end up trying to fight a literal swarm of LSPD and NOOSE both on the ground and in the air at a four-star wanted level at the LSIA in "Hostile Takeover"? It's virtually impossible. Epic trolling; just quit the session, because it will be an endless gang bang of LSPD and NOOSE killing you over and over again until your time runs out. Same thing in other situations, like Dead Drop or Moving Target... the minute players get a wanted level and end up 20 feet away from an armored car or chopper, it's a massive, endless killing fest for the cops. And an epic waste of time and money for the player(s).

* Gang attack NPCs who arguably are not wearing any armor taking three or more point-blank shots to the torso from the Assault Shotgun before they're dead (e.g. Families' project building in Strawberry). Meanwhile, you're toast if they get even one point-blank shot at your torso.

Ii could go on about invisible shots fired at players with no cops within visual range, cops and NPCs seeing and shooting through walls, etc.--all with video evidence, but you get the idea.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Panashe M. Sinclaire

Maybe it's me, but I know it's no coincidence when you're racing against the clock, and as your about to cross the street, that one NPC magically, spontaneously, instantaneously, accurately, goes the perfect speed to collide with your vehicle.

I tested this sh*t one day. I went slower when the moment occured, they went faster, but the faster I went, that happened.

Killer Whale

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now...

giphy.gif

I don't think the game will go as far to predict our behavior like with the examples on the OP, but I'm damn sure they'll do anything to make gameplay as hard as possible. As soon as you're in one area, cars will spawn to cut you in front, more on I/E than on normal freeroam.

Arrows to Athens

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now...

giphy.gif

I don't think the game will go as far to predict our behavior like with the examples on the OP, but I'm damn sure they'll do anything to make gameplay as hard as possible. As soon as you're in one area, cars will spawn to cut you in front, more on I/E than on normal freeroam.

There's no way that is NOT scripted.

Nutduster

The game is poorly coded, rich on lags and glitches, with primitive P2P and probably several non-consistent dev teams that can't dig into older code to fix bugs. And it's all being run by a greedy publisher who decided that it's cool not to release any other games since 2013 with the help of automated support service.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor.

Money making of course is designed in a way to make it as hard as it gets.

This about sums it up for me. I think a lot of what's wrong and annoying about the game is just a result of poor code, not malice on the part of the devs. I'm speaking of the little annoyances - the stupidly aggressive cops who have psychic powers, the AI drivers who seem to have all had lobotomies the same day they got their driver's license, etc. The conspiracy stuff starts higher up the food chain; the things they program on purpose to make money are the aimbotting NPCs on some missions (f*ck you, Little Seoul gangsters and Doomsday Act III finale guys!), the ridiculously long and boring missions you get sometimes doing businesses, and of course the restricting of content to public lobbies. Some things make it really obvious that they want you to fail. Other things have been there since day 1 and I don't think they are as nefarious, it's just minor things they didn't get right and aren't interested in fixing.

Nutduster

And YES, the game is in-variable-y against players. We've all seen Fun 2's posts with the myriad of variables just for a single weapon that Rockstar can tweak at a whim, literally changing the game for any object or action at any time they feel like it, leaving players in the dark and guessing as to what's actually going on behind the scenes.

I don't understand your point here. All games' weapons are full of variables (damage, ROF, bullet spread/accuracy, etc.) that the devs can tweak if they decide to re-balance that weapon. That doesn't mean they designed it that way to hold you down, they just want the freedom to mess with things in response to feedback. Of course, why they ever bother is a different question - the constant little tweaks to things like the sniper rifles (all of them) seem so pointless when they have never even attempted nerfing the Lazer and Hydra cannons. They're kind of schizophrenic.

Edited by Nutduster

Skeve613

I was viewing on my phone instead of my computer, which doesn't show who started the thread, and clicked on this thread specifically because I mentally said to myself "This sounds like the title of an 'fw3' thread"

I was not disappointed at all :lol:

TCA

If I sell a car I air lift it via cargobob