Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,897 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
DOUGL4S1

Smaller map with more useful parts or Bigger map with more useless parts?

Map size vs. Map content  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have a larger, but less detailed map or a smaller, but more detailed map?

• A larger map (Larger than V's San Andreas) with less details
    • A smaller map (About the size of IV's Liberty City) with more details
    • A balance (Slightly smaller than V) with moderate amount of details

DOUGL4S1

Don't know if there's a topic for this already, so mods, feel free to move or lock this discussion.

Lurking around YouTube, I recently found a

talking about a game called Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, specially about its open-world design that seem to go on the opposite way game worlds are heading. That game's world is smaller, taking place in just a few blocks of Prague, but the world seems so detailed and every inch of the map seems carefully crafted, while we have games with huge worlds, but most of it just feels empty and useless.

Then I went to this section, I realized that people always want more in terms of map size and in map content, they want more enterable buildings on a map 3x larger than GTA V's, but this not only might not be possible on current hardware, but will make a problem that was already present in GTA V even bigger: parts of the map will be practically useless in terms of missions and story. This creates a problem since most of the game will be spent travelling, which can make a boring map even more boring.

Let's take the classic comparasion: GTA IV's Liberty City vs. GTA V's Los Santos. Sure, Los Santos is more detailed, but it had more development time, came when Rockstar had more employees, it was remastered twice and still it is often criticized for its largely useless mountain areas and lack of enterable places, while Liberty City was made in about half of the time, a percentage of the budget, has only been changed in EFLC and is still considered one of the best GTA maps because of its ambientation and usage, similar story with other, even smaller maps like Vice City. Most of the times you won't need to drive half of the map to get somewhere, and even if you do, it won't take you 15 minutes.

My question is: Would you sacrifice map size for ambientation and environmental detail? In other words, would you rather drive 2 minutes through a well-crafted and very detailed map or 20 minutes through a map that is not as detailed? Or would you like a healthy balance?

Edited by DOUGL4S1

Jdogg4089

I want a san andreas styled map. The map felt the best to no. Like a remastered map to the size of the one that was supposed to be on GTA 5. It needs to be released on ps5 on Xbox GT so we can get good graphics and framerate an4xsaa because current console graphics have a lot of aa. I'd love it to have 1080p 60fps, which I know will be possible if the ps5 doubles the power of the PS4 pro like it more than doubled power of PS4.

Am Shaegar

hmm.. ? ! ?

You can have detailed maps that are big, and still able to notice a lot of useful content in them.

Comparing DX with JC3, and then bringing V into it, makes little sense to me. All three games maps have a different purpose to serve, which decides their style of gameplay to provide details, content and everything else needed to make the map "useful". Since DX world mostly consists of shooting, stealth, etc and no pedestrians walking around, or driving number if cars, etc., the developers will focus on crafting a world that suits the melds the setting and the theme.

Same goes for JC3. It doesn't need interiors, or a living breathing vibe, more than a playground to cause mayhem.

Rockstar's open world's in GTA are different. There's a LOT of things to consider here, from thorough reasearch of the city, the lives of the citizens, to every other detail that goes into making the game world feel alive and believable. DX and JC3 don't even come close to what goes into making GTA maps.

I prefer SA (2004) map size. It wasn't too big, nor too small. It wasn't just a bland, boring concrete jungle either, but had so much variety, plus large amounts of content with player agency to an unprecedented degree.

DOUGL4S1

hmm.. ? ! ?

You can have detailed maps that are big, and still able to notice a lot of useful content in them.

Comparing DX with JC3, and then bringing V into it, makes little sense to me. All three games maps have a different purpose to serve, which decides their style of gameplay to provide details, content and everything else needed to make the map "useful". Since DX world mostly consists of shooting, stealth, etc and no pedestrians walking around, or driving number if cars, etc., the developers will focus on crafting a world that suits the melds the setting and the theme.

Same goes for JC3. It doesn't need interiors, or a living breathing vibe, more than a playground to cause mayhem.

Rockstar's open world's in GTA are different. There's a LOT of things to consider here, from thorough reasearch of the city, the lives of the citizens, to every other detail that goes into making the game world feel alive and believable. DX and JC3 don't even come close to what goes into making GTA maps.

I prefer SA (2004) map size. It wasn't too big, nor too small. It wasn't just a bland, boring concrete jungle either, but had so much variety, plus large amounts of content with player agency to an unprecedented degree.

Sorry if OP is a bit confusing.

This thread should've been to prove that you don't need a huge map for a GTA game. People in here say they want maps over 4x larger than GTA V, which I don't think it's necessary, as parts of it would be neglected. I only brought up those games as examples, not to prove GTA maps are different than JC3's for this and that. More like GTA doesn't need a map the size of JC3's as it wouldn't be needed, so I'd rather have a compact map where resources are focused on detail and gameplay.

Journey_95

Would definitely prefer the GTA IV way, quality over quantity. The city was bigger and felt more alive than GTA V's LS which was too small and the countryside was way too big and just kind of useless. SA's approach wasn't good either, only LS was memorable.

Edited by Journey_95

Gummy 

Prawn Island size with an absurd amount of details please.

Aquamaniac

Bigger is better, it is kind of pointless cruising around when the map is too small or only metropolitan area, after I played through IV I totally lost any interest in the game, V I play over and over again or just cruising around.

The countryside in V is not useless, it adds to the general scenery.

I think the game should have both, a large city that really feels like a metropolitan area and a huge countryside, with villages in between.

killdrivetheftvehicle

I don't beleive that making a game as detailed as V, only bigger is impossible. And GTA is a driving game, you just need to have a big map. Deus ex is just an on-foot game, so making the map huge would make it unbareable if there would be no way to travel faster. I don't like JC3, because it's just feels so stupid and unrealistic to me. And remember: What's the point of having planes, if you just fly around in circles without a destination? I love planes and flying, and carjacking and driving on windy roads. You just have to have a huge map for that. San Andreas is a good game, however HD size would render it bigger than V.

Gettin up

Bigger map with more useful parts.

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV has a good sized map packed with plenty of detail so I wouldn't mind a similar sized map again (If it's a metro area). I don't want a huge map with parts that are barely utilised and/or give very little incentive to explore.

the gta psychopath

GTA IV has a good sized map packed with plenty of detail so I wouldn't mind a similar sized map again (If it's a metro area). I don't want a huge map with parts that are barely utilised and/or give very little incentive to explore.

I agree with him

Tengerecki

I'd love a huge, huge map with mountains, trees, grass, muds animals, insects and a beautiful view. The lighting effect, too, should be improved compared to GTA V.

MARKUS.

BIGGER MAP WITH MORE USEFUL PARTS.

Typhus

For my part, I still maintain that the map size of Grand Theft Auto III is perfect and should be the template for other games. Three or so islands of rather limited size, which allow the player to memorise their way through, and make it easier to give everything some meaning and character. I would actually be happier with a smaller map, because I am always lost in V. I never have any idea where the Hell I am.

naughtygawdxci
Posted (edited)

For my part, I still maintain that the map size of Grand Theft Auto III is perfect and should be the template for other games. Three or so islands of rather limited size, which allow the player to memorise their way through, and make it easier to give everything some meaning and character. I would actually be happier with a smaller map, because I am always lost in V. I never have any idea where the Hell I am.

Are you joking?

Edited by naughtygawdxci

Am Shaegar

I understand the point of getting lost in modern maps, but I tend to disagree with V being cited as an example here, instead of IV's LC map which actually felt more difficult to memorize w/o too much efforts, as opposed to V's diverse and highly varied map that actually felt more easy to recognize several areas on the map after spending good time with the map.

Still, the smaller the map in size, the better the prospect of map being effectively designed and efficiently used through gameplay.

What I tend to dislike about the modern maps look extremely similar in design and looks to their near identical ones in real life.

I like more imagination being put in making every area stand out from gameplay standpoint by utilizing each and every portion of the map for something that engages the player with the game world to actually play an active role in doing something than just driving across the map, watching all the scenery and stuff that you can only touch and feel, but can't interact because they only represent beautiful textures, and nothing else. That tends to make the game world boring very fast.

Why not design a smaller but reasonably decent in size and things to do, while putting more thoughts in creating a game world that feels less of a new York or los Angeles in terms of similarities between two cities, but more exciting in experiencing a whole lot of actual incidents, crimes, and activities designed with the cultural and social importance of those cities in modern times.

I don't want to experience another tour of Vice City by watching all the beautiful scenery, than actually experience everything that makes Miami, Florida, etc so bad, unsafe and crime ridden in the first place.

CHARMANDER50

Are you joking?

Absolutely No , San Andreas has an outstanding map for both

pvp, freeroam free4 All !