Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,101 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

CoolMods

GTA VI should be in Vice City

MostWantedMVP

I mean't giving it a period piece.

It gives the game a complete different tone and like I said, I think that's why VC and SA were great because they weren't modern day. They were built on nostalgia which is what everyone loves these days.

That's all nice and dandy, but it does not detract from the fact that you have clearly contradicted yourself. Makes no difference whether it's modern day or prehistoric times.

TfE4MJC.png

I simply was implying that VC and SA were so great because they were set in different time periods rather than modern day...

It would be nice to have an HD era Grand Theft Auto game that was set in the past because we've now seen 3 GTA games & 2 Story DLC's set in modern times in the HD Universe.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Official General

It gives the game a complete different tone and like I said, I think that's why VC and SA were great because they weren't modern day. They were built on nostalgia which is what everyone loves these days.

That's all nice and dandy, but it does not detract from the fact that you have clearly contradicted yourself. Makes no difference whether it's modern day or prehistoric times.

TfE4MJC.png

I simply was implying that VC and SA were so great because they were set in different time periods rather than modern day...

It would be nice to have an HD era Grand Theft Auto game that was set in the past because we've now seen 3 GTA games & 2 Story DLC's set in modern times in the HD Universe.

Bro, you stated you wanted a HD version of VC set in 80s, and I'm saying there is no point in that because it's already been done in the III-era, and if its done again, then it has been overdone by GTA standards. And you already stated that you don't want something that is overdone.

VC in modern day has not been done in HD, so going by your logic, it is clearly not a case of being overdone. Therefore, you've contradicted yourself flat out.

Edited by Official General

MostWantedMVP

Yes but 80's hasn't been done in the HD era which is why it would be a nice change "bro"

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Algonquin Assassin

Yes but 80's hasn't been done in the HD era which is why it would be a nice change "bro"

I can understand OG's point though. It's already been done twice with Vice City and VCS so what would the point be retreading the same water? Other than purely for nostalgic reasons going back to Vice City in the 80s would definitely not feel as unique and interesting as it was in 2002.

Vice City worked because of its various homages to Scarface, Miami Vice etc .Not just the 80s itself. I don't know, but revisiting Vice City in the 80s again would be like someone trying to remake Back To The Future. Just no atleast to me.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Jdogg4089

It's about as likely to happen as a GTA San Andreas complete remaster.

Official General

I can understand OG's point though. It's already been done twice with Vice City and VCS so what would the point be retreading the same water? Other than purely for nostalgic reasons going back to Vice City in the 80s would definitely not feel as unique and interesting as it was in 2002.

Vice City worked because of its various homages to Scarface, Miami Vice etc .Not just the 80s itself. I don't know, but revisiting Vice City in the 80s again would be like someone trying to remake Back To The Future. Just no atleast to me.

Thanks Algonquin, you stated my point exactly, but MostWanted obviously did not understand it, as easy as it was explained.

See my edit on the my post before this one, I meant modern-day VC.

Edited by Official General

Jack Lupino

The thing is how will they make the hd era map since Original VC was so small.

Just two long stretches of island with vast beaches.

Will they stick with old vice city and olny add new islands.

Or Will they completely make a new Vice city like they did with gta 4 liberty city.

Edited by Jack Lupino

Zello

Or Will they completely make a new Vice city like they did with gta 4 liberty city.

South Florida from West Palm Beach all the way down to Key Largo

2rm5yr4.jpg

PEyQyH8.png

Edited by Zello

Korpi

As unlikely it is, I still would love to see the 80s Vice City revisited with modern graphics and so forth.

Sprunkadelic

I'm all for a period piece, just not one thats in Vice City

the problem is when some people say no to VC being in the 80's some people assume they don't like period pieces at all but personally, i just don't like the idea of doing a period piece in the exact same location of two other period pieces. also i tend not to base opinions on nostalgia it tends to blind all logic and just give off this "i want it because i remember it" attitude.

Edited by Sprunkadelic

Official General

This statement is a trifle silly.

Of course they would not make a new VC map in HD so small and the same size as the original one. They did not do that with LC in IV or LS in V so what makes you think they'd do that with a new VC ? You can't be serious.

MostWantedMVP

Gritty GTA reboot set in the 80's sounds good to me.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Shellshock9

London during the 60s or 70s, anyone else?

MostWantedMVP

That's a great idea! Though I think Rockstar will choose Vice City.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

PaddsterG2k3

As said previously, in my opinion a new VC must have another city, the Everglades, the Florida Keys and perhaps even part of the wider South or the Carribean. A Vice State if you will.

Regarding the issue of time period/setting. I have a couple of questions that I ponder with this. Hear me out...

How do we define modern period? Would an early to mid 2000s period be seen as modern or nostalgic? A VC set (ironically) in 2002 would be seen by some as modern but by others as nostaglic. Or are we purely defining modern as 2010 onwards? 2015 onwards?

Secondly - I think we need to consider that a number of us on here are old timers (25+) who remember VC when it first came out. A huge number of new GTA players wouldn't have been around during VC's era. That could affect Rockstar's thinking regarding setting and time period etc.

Efreet

I'd like R* to create a new fictional city/state, but I trust them in doing whatever they do, be it a revisit to Vice City or even Liberty City. At this point of time, I'm excited to see what Grand Theft Auto VI can bring to the table.

Am Shaegar

GTA isn't going to be set anywhere else outside of the US borders. I think Rockstar made that clear in an interview already.

AdmiralAmmunation

I think it could definitely work in VC.

The only issue I forsee is that the game will feel too much like V simply because it'll be a coastal city with beaches etc. Different city same general locations. As much as I like those settings somewhere else might be needed simply to break up that vacation-city feel.

Although maybe RDR 2 will be enough to break it up. And not that I don't think R* could pull off making the city feel different enough, its just going to be pretty tough.

Official General

The only issue I forsee is that the game will feel too much like V simply because it'll be a coastal city with beaches etc. Different city same general locations. As much as I like those settings somewhere else might be needed simply to break up that vacation-city feel.

People like you say this stuff now, many of you conveniently forget that nobody complained about this when SA came out after VC in the III-era days.

It should not be a problem anyway, because Miami and LA are two entirely different places with different climates.

jaljax

They would obviously revamp the whole map...

Just look at GTA IV & V for a prime example

In each era they've revamped LC,VC & SA from the 2D, 3D & the HD Era

RetroMystic

People like you say this stuff now, many of you conveniently forget that nobody complained about this when SA came out after VC in the III-era days.

It should not be a problem anyway, because Miami and LA are two entirely different places with different climates.

In what way does Vice City even remotely resemble SA's map in any way, shape or form?

Sprunkadelic

In what way does Vice City even remotely resemble SA's map in any way, shape or form?

"Waa They're too sunny"

"!1!1!1 TOO TROPICAL"

the similarities literally end there, but that's also one of the main arguments, notice how GTA Vice City, and GTA SA seem nothing alike despite both being sunny.

and the funny thing is, from first glance the way the game looks, is just an updated version of VC, but yet map wise, they have a different vibe, different peds, different well, everything.

Safari

I think if they were to set it in Miami they should make our character and his group some cocaine cowboys (basically when columbian drug lords went quiet and uprise began to occur in Miami around the 70's through 90's causing many Americans to get into the cocaine business and get millions of dollars in fact their are people still alive that have millions of dollars from being cocaine cowboys) theres way more to the story than that but thats just an introduction. I feel this could work for R* and they could accomplish a very emotional and groundbreaking story either using the cocaine cowboys literally in their game or using them as an inspiration. Its one of my favorite topics in American history that and the wild west.

Aquamaniac

GTA isn't going to be set anywhere else outside of the US borders. I think Rockstar made that clear in an interview already.

I think this is a bit narrow minded, since another country would allow a whole different set of cars, buildings, music, landscape and weaponry, the game would look new and different without changing any of the game mechanics. I'm fine with the US setting though, I think only a few international destinations could work for a GTA, I'd favor Paris.

Edited by Aquamaniac

Official General

I think this is a bit narrow minded, since another country would allow a whole different set of cars, buildings, music, landscape and weaponry, the game would look new and different without changing any of the game mechanics. I'm fine with the US setting though, I think only a few international destinations could work for a GTA, I'd favor Paris.

Narrow-mindedness is not really the point here is it. The point here is facts. Its a fact that it would not work, that alone is validated by Rockstar's own words. And common sense should tell you it would not be popular or very successful.

I mean just listen to what you said...."GTA in Paris" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Timcatgt5

Vice City for GTA VI.

Set in current time with two protagonists who are twin brothers, Carlos and Manuel "Manny" Fernandez. The plot starts as both brothers on opposite sides, Manuel is part of the Cuban gang while Carlos is part of the Haitian gang.

After a drug deal goes wrong, both brothers leave their respective gangs and attempt to clear their name after they are framed for the murder of a Colombian Cartel leader.

They will be forced to work together with the most notorious members of the city as they learn to understand why Vice City is well known not just for the drug and party scene, but also why it is a haven for the rich and manipulative.

...then Detroit or Chicago for the next installment. I'll think of a plot for GTA VII after I've had another dose of the stuff.

Big Molio

I don’t think that after all the modern trappings of GTAV and especially Online that there will be a return to a bygone era. It is too restrictive in terms of available content. I personally don’t want to return to Vice City because I think the setting is bland, nor do I think that an 80’s era setting is particularly appealing.

z33zus

Vice City could be dope if they incorporated the Everglades, resort towns, and Cuba too. Personally, I'd like to see the next GTA in London, Mexico City, or Tokyo

edit: Chicago would be dope too. Huge city, lots of different cultures and distinct neighborhoods

Edited by z33zus

RetroMystic

Personally, I'd like to see the next GTA in London, Mexico City, or Tokyo

Not gonna happen. Remember. American satire.

Aquamaniac

Narrow-mindedness is not really the point here is it. The point here is facts. Its a fact that it would not work, that alone is validated by Rockstar's own words. And common sense should tell you it would not be popular or very successful.

I mean just listen to what you said...."GTA in Paris" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why would Paris not work? I guess criminals with RPGs are more likely in Paris than in New York. The French make decent action movies (unlike the Germans), any destination that works for a good action movie, works for a GTA I guess.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2983981/gritty-photos-show-the-reality-of-paris-gang-culture-in-the-1990s-as-men-proudly-posed-with-guns-and-knives-and-smoked-drugs-on-the-streets/