1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

MrFinger

Beta Leftovers Fix - SA

PiashGamer007

Yey finally some updates!

Xisuma

I've made some fixes which would be cool if they made it into the mod Download Link

Spoiler
  • Changed Ryder Sweater color to match Smoke and Sweet
  • Removed Cop biker's Tank and added the texture to Chop cop
  • Retextured Varrio Los Aztecas Tag (Now it looks better)
  • Couldn't do this one but can you retexture Hunter and make it desert yellow to match other military vehicles? (or maybe you can add a specular to it and color it yellow)

Sorry for double post but the link didn't work so here is the link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fp8cd1o8d10uk/

pizzapizza
16 hours ago, pizzapizza said:

Could you explain what some of the cutscene vehicle .DFFS are for? I know Savanna becomes four-door and mothership gets PC taillights, but what are the others for?

Okay, I checked them myself. But what about the burrito? Is it just the mirrors that was changed?

MrFinger
20 hours ago, pizzapizza said:

Okay, I checked them myself. But what about the burrito? Is it just the mirrors that was changed?

Only the license plates were changed. Mirrors are that same as before.

And btw.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:58 PM, MrFinger said:

Also, in this week, I will prepare some new mod. Stay tuned.

https://gtaforums.com/topic/924586-beta-leftovers-fix-iii/

MrFinger

Added final knife to the cutscene (thanks to @Brooklynzsmac).

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-02-08_18-21-48-61.jp

PiashGamer007

Yay

lowpolygangster

I hope you release soon

MrFinger

Changed Bee Bee Gone! texture to the Let's Get Ready to Bumble.

Spoiler

gallery54.jpg

Changed Jim's Sticky Ring to the Rusty Brown's.

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-02-10_20-57-38-65.jp

And added download link to the 1.1 version.

lowpolygangster

The Rusty Brown's Donuts needs fix the vertex lighting

Edited by lowpolygangster

MrFinger

Changed car wrecks.

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-02-23_16-20-45-09.pn

gta_sa_compact_2019-02-23_17-56-40-07.pn

Junior_Djjr

The texture name inside "ryder2.txd" is currently "ryder", but the correct is "ryder2", so Ryder is without texture in-game.

Junior_Djjr
Posted (edited)

The Sweet interior is bugged because you didn't used the correct texture format for "AH_picture2" from "carlspics" and "sweetsmain".

In fact you should pay more attention to textures format, there is a lot of textures with wrong format, there are probably more problems than this.

I've recompiled all txd files using Magic.TXD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xuMuDgDfFCmZLy6q4JRUfO8DRAE5B7ig/view

Edited by Junior_Djjr

MrFinger
9 hours ago, Junior_Djjr said:

The Sweet interior is bugged because you didn't used the correct texture format for "AH_picture2" from "carlspics" and "sweetsmain".

This was already fixed, what are you talking about?

Junior_Djjr
1 hour ago, MrFinger said:

This was already fixed, what are you talking about?

Which version?
Last one was RGBA 8888 for that texture and 888 for other textures in same txd, instead of DXT1.

Apparently literally all the textures you edit don't use DXT1/DXT5.

LaDiDa
29 minutes ago, Junior_Djjr said:

Which version?
Last one was RGBA 8888 for that texture and 888 for other textures in same txd, instead of DXT1.

Apparently literally all the textures you edit don't use DXT1/DXT5.

Which is fine if the default (source) format was indeed BGR 888, DXT1/5 can introduce awful artifacts for low resolution textures, it's why some actually look better on PS2, PC textures are obliterated by DXT1 artifacts in a few places.

Junior_Djjr
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, LaDiDa said:

Which is fine if the default (source) format was indeed BGR 888

But isn't. All game textures (except for some effects, and also player and some vehicle.txd textures, because they go through functions that are not compatible with compression), are compressed in DXT because this improves performance (in fact it's a format used to this day in modern games textures).

A good comparison is using .bmp instead of .jpg for a photo. In .bmp there is no quality loss, but the file gets much larger, so the cost x benefit isn't worth it, even if the photo is small.
I recommend not to use DXT only in images with very defined shapes, for example interface sprites.

49 minutes ago, LaDiDa said:

it's why some actually look better on PS2

No and no.

PS2 uses palette textures which is way much worse than DXT compression.

I made a comparison (upscaled):

ps2-dxt1.png

Open the full image.

That texture was restored by MS from VRTP.

Edited by Junior_Djjr

Junior_Djjr

There is still an OGF graffiti here:

01.jpg

Reported by Matheus Rian.

LaDiDa
Posted (edited)

There are some textures within gta3.img that are uncompressed and there are a few textures that underwent the PS2 textures treatment+dxt compression which equals ewh compared to just the PS2 textures... Also many of the 64x64 textures used by the game are absolutely better looking on PS2 due to how dxt stores it's data (and visually alters the brightness for some).

That you happen to pick one that is worse does not prove your point nor does it invalidate mine.

DXT does artifact awfully in most cases with low resolution textures. Increasing size would help combat it, but defeats the purpose of compression since it's larger in size. DXT is not relevant enough if your textures are of a low resolution for modern gpu's.

Also, don't ever use jpeg on anything but photos or avoid it entirely and use png. We have enough awful jpeg's on the Internet as is. 

Edited by LaDiDa

Junior_Djjr
17 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

There are some textures within gta3.img that are uncompressed and there are a few textures that underwent the PS2 textures treatment+dxt compression which equals ewh compared to just the PS2 textures... Also many of the 64x64 textures used by the game are absolutely better looking on PS2 due to how dxt stores it's data (and visually alters the brightness for some).

Can you send an example? I never saw this.

17 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

Also, don't ever use jpeg on anything but photos or avoid it entirely and use png. We have enough awful jpeg's on the Internet as is.

Did you say this to me or taking advantage of the subject to teach something (which I fully agree and I even put up a explanation on my forum rules)?

If you are saying this to me, well, the only mention I had of .jpg was a comparison: "jpeg = dxt", because both was made for cost x benefit. And I mentioned .bmp because not using dxt is like using bitmap, so I explained that it makes sense not to use dxt on interface images, like images with defined shapes etc. (and in fact, due to textures are on your screen, the artifacts are much more notable than during gameplay, like a 3D world texture).

LaDiDa

badlands.txd, cj_airport.txd, kbplantssmz.txd are uncompressed archives in the vanilla files (and those are just a few of them, there are more within gta3.img), they're seamingly random as well.

y7G44QH.png

QexRGGv.png

These are just 2 examples, the top example is found pretty much anywhere and the worse result on PC is due to dxt3 being used on a texture with alpha that has a fine gradient dxt3 can't handle correctly.

The bottom one is a lot more subtle but still a noticeable example where PC textures are a lot less sharp (due to colours being almost similair but not quite the same, PC provides less depth, that is by the way the blackboard texture that has the car names on it for collecting in SF).

The overall result is PC looking noticeably softer in the case of low resolution textures being dxt compressed (and sometimes having that 1 pixel artifact here and there, because it needs to store that 1 colour it had in the original texture somewhere even though not showing it would be less jarring).

Also wheels on cars look really rough on PC compared to their PS2 textures.

While I agree most PS2 textures have some awful compression applied to them, PC has it's fair share of dxt mess ups as well.

Also, providing uncompressed gives the advantage of choice as well, my system has a lot of resources to spend and getting those slightly better results from already very small textures (even uncompressed the memory footprint is fairly small at 64x64 & 128x128) has my preference overall. This is also a major point of discussion on art for games, sometimes textures are shipped uncompressed at half the resolution the source had rather then using compression on them and have it kill the texture before it made it to the customer.

Junior_Djjr
Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

the worse result on PC is due to dxt3 being used on a texture with alpha that has a fine gradient dxt3 can't handle correctly.

But we use DXT5 now, this comparison is not the case.
DXT3 is really really bad, is was only made for alpha textures with defined borders (but I always use DXT5 in any case, I see no reason to bother with that minimal details).

7 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

The bottom one is a lot more subtle but still a noticeable example where PC textures are a lot less sharp

I agree, the left picture is better, even if it's hardly noticeable in-game.

But returning to the initial subject::
Uncompressed (888): 32,1 KB

Compressed: 4,16 KB
This example texture has a much better cost-benefit when compressed. Almost unnoticeable loss for 8X smaller file (or more, because it's the entire .txd, which includes metadatas).

The compression I did using Magic.TXD reduced the img folders size of Beta Leftovers Fix from 26,7 MB to only 10,1 MB.

If the decision is not to use DXT in small images as well, it will increase just a little in size and almost unnoticeable quality, but a lot in working time because there is no mass conversion in Magic.TXD which ignores compression in small textures. This becomes a discussion of small details for a lot of work. Even so I still find the discussion interesting.

Another thing the author should make in all txd files is using mipmapping. With this, the size is now 12,6 MB but with much better looking textures and a bit less GPU usage (if you don't use AF). In the download I sent up, they are with mip-maps already.

Seriously, every player should follow this tutorial, the game becomes much more beautiful, mip-maps need to be considered like a default thing.

Edited by Junior_Djjr

MrFinger

New updates:

- Changed Walton wreck,

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-03-03_22-03-58-08.jp

- Fixed mapping on the car wrecks (rust is more visible now) and changed collision,

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-03-09_16-40-43-79.jp

gta_sa_compact_2019-03-09_16-42-53-96.jp

- Changed OGF tag at the El Corona.

Spoiler

gta_sa_compact_2019-03-09_16-47-43-48.jp

Junior_Djjr
Posted (edited)

Need some improvement here.

1.jpg

Not only brown texture, but doesn't make sense a car with rusty paint have scratches (which are pure metal) not also rusty.

I prefer this one, because it keeps the original SA style.

gta-sa-san-mod-vehicles-props-fix-4.jpg

https://www.mixmods.com.br/2018/01/prop-vehicles-project-props-veiculos-melhorados-fix.html

Was created by a guy on my forum, if you like to include in your pack I can talk to him.

Edited by Junior_Djjr

MrFinger
16 minutes ago, Junior_Djjr said:

Need some improvement here.

1.jpg

Not only brown texture, but doesn't make sense a car with rusty paint have scratches (which are pure metal) not also rusty.

I prefer this one, because it keeps the original SA style.

gta-sa-san-mod-vehicles-props-fix-4.jpg

https://www.mixmods.com.br/2018/01/prop-vehicles-project-props-veiculos-melhorados-fix.html

Was created by a guy on my forum, if you like to include in your pack I can talk to him.

I'II leave it.

Gerardo1923

excuse me Mrfinger can you upload on https://www.dropbox.com/ please?

you can upload beta leftover fix mod on google drive or dropbox, mediafire will pop up ads if i click download.

LaDiDa

Gtainside also redirects to malware pages when clicking download without an anti virus / add blocker installed. Even worse is some of the pages auto download a (probably adware filled) installer for flash player or something usually.

It gets blocked on my end even if it happens to open on my PC because of a positive on a potential unwanted program (PUP).

Gerardo1923

thanks ladida for warning me, so yeah mrfinger you upload safe website like dropbox or google drive then post the download link ok?

cyv233

I found a bug on the cutscene Savanna.

The exhaust of the car is green.