Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,879 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Journey_95

If Michael was the only protagonist, how would the game change?

Journey_95

The story already revolves around him but how would the game change if he was the only MC and Trevor & Franklin just side characters?

jaljax

Wasn't he originally planned to be the only protagonist before they decided to put three?

Journey_95

Wasn't he originally planned to be the only protagonist before they decided to put three?

Certainly feels like that, the story revolves around him. Then Trevor and Franklin is just kind of there

The-Ghost

Certainly feels like that, the story revolves around him. Then Trevor and Franklin is just kind of thereYeah but it's not as much for trevor as it is for franklin, when I played with trevor i can sense some story in there at least, franklin is really the one that's just playable secondary character, no background no character development..

So to the op, it will probably feel the same, instead of having to steal those two cars after prologue you will just get control of Michael on the beach and go on with the story.

Cheatz/Trickz

I'm sure the story would've been more focused because we'd be with Michael throughout all his narrative ups and downs. This is something all stories with strong protagonists have in common regardless of the form of media.

Switching protagonists fractures the story due to the varying levels of character development the three each have. I think the only way multiple protagonists work is when we spend a long time with one, and then switch at designated points in the story.

Edited by Cheatz/Trickz

Journey_95

Certainly feels like that, the story revolves around him. Then Trevor and Franklin is just kind of there
Yeah but it's not as much for trevor as it is for franklin, when I played with trevor i can sense some story in there at least, franklin is really the one that's just playable secondary character, no background no character development..

So to the op, it will probably feel the same, instead of having to steal those two cars after prologue you will just get control of Michael on the beach and go on with the story.

Agreed, Franklin would be an ok side character but he is a really lackluster protagonist because there just isn't much to his character apart from wanting to get out of the hood and thats already achieved at the end of the first arc..

RetroMystic

He was the first developed but R* always intended to have 3 characters.

Him being developed first really shows eh?

Anyway I feel like if the story revolved solely around Michael it would have made for a much better story of an old retired criminal brought back into the underworld by circumstance and went from there as opposed to trying to shoehorn 3 protagonists into a 69 mission story.

Edited by RetroMystic

Typhus

It wouldn't fix the issues with the story. To actually improve the game, you'd have to make his family likeable. Instead, they start out as repulsive twats and end the game the exact same way. His son, especially. I mean, Jesus f*cking Christ, what were they thinking? When Merryweather invade Michael's home, why should we care? When did his family show any signs of decency or warmth to actually make the player give a sh*t about them?

Michael would work amazingly well as a solo protagonist, but unless you fix that issue, the central story would still be a complete damn mess.

Edited by Typhus

Am Shaegar

I'd be unhappy if M was the protagonist to play. Not aninteresting character for my tastes, different from the rest for sure but ...meh. Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

Typhus

Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

How so? Trevor doesn't come across like an adult, or a believable criminal. He's more like a 14 year old's idea of what a GTA character should be. The whole game, it just felt like he was trying too hard and any moment would slink back to his trailer, put on his Best of Coldplay CD and start cutting himself. I'm not being glib, either, it was genuinely embarrassing at times.

I'm curious how you think he could have carried the entire game by himself?

Journey_95

I'd be unhappy if M was the protagonist to play. Not aninteresting character for my tastes, different from the rest for sure but ...meh. Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

Trevor is entertaining but he is way too crazy to be the only protagonist. The only reason he is one is because they had 3 so his ridiculous character was balanced out by the other two.

Am Shaegar

I think that his character, including the story, is bound to change the nature of many things in the game. Regarding why I like, and prefer Trevor is, simply because I like the unpredictablity and total insanity of his character, which keeps me say, invested in his character for the most part. In fact, until his appearance in game, I didn't have any interest in the story the first time I played the game. He seems to be the least hypocritical character I have seen in the series, without all that morality fluff that doesn't make sense in a GTA game. I love characters that are genuinely honest, without giving a deep monologue about their actions and crimes committed in the past, only to then continue doing those acts of horrible crimes, moments later.

RetroMystic

I think that his character, including the story, is bound to change the nature of many things in the game. Regarding why I like, and prefer Trevor is, simply because I like the unpredictablity and total insanity of his character, which keeps me say, invested in his character for the most part. In fact, until his appearance in game, I didn't have any interest in the story the first time I played the game. He seems to be the least hypocritical character I have seen in the series, without all that morality fluff that doesn't make sense in a GTA game. I love characters that are genuinely honest, without giving a deep monologue about their actions and crimes committed in the past, only to then continue doing those acts of horrible crimes, moments later.

*I don't like exploring morally grey areas and I'd rather have my characters be black and white (figuratively).

FIFY

Edited by RetroMystic

Journey_95

It wouldn't fix the issues with the story. To actually improve the game, you'd have to make his family likeable. Instead, they start out as repulsive twats and end the game the exact same way. His son, especially. I mean, Jesus f*cking Christ, what were they thinking? When Merryweather invade Michael's home, why should we care? When did his family show any signs of decency or warmth to actually make the player give a sh*t about them?

Michael would work amazingly well as a solo protagonist, but unless you fix that issue, the central story would still be a complete damn mess.

Agreed but even a more likable family wouldn't be enough. You would need to cut down on the FIB bullsh*t. That stuff just became so tedious. Instead Madrazzo should have had a bigger role and not been a joke imho.

Edited by Journey_95

Carbonox

Agreed but even a more likable family wouldn't be enough. You would need to cut down on the FIB bullsh*t. That stuff just became so tedious. Instead Madrazzo should have had a bigger role and not been a joke imho.

By eliminating Trevor's "badass" off-screen moment with Madrazo, I think that could be easily arranged, as well.

ClaudeSpeed1911

It would probably be structured like GTA4. More choices and a more darker story. His family dying because of the players choices and things like that.

Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911

Le biatch

You have to admit though, it was funny as hell to see Jimmy tea bag one of the downed soldiers trying to kill them.

But seriously, you have to think to yourself..why would they even add a protag with his own family? What is the purpose of that? Is it a glimpse of what a gta character would have gone through if he had settled down? Or is it just satire of how a rich family really acts?

NumberNineLarge

Trevor would have more of an antagonistic role, probably someone Michael would have to knock off.

I'm honestly not sure how the story in its current form would work. Usually the protagonist is the one who's betrayed, not the one who betrays.

Mr.Spud

I think the game would focus more on his family life, mental state, and doing heists to help martin madrazo and the FIB and of course doing the big one

Cutter De Blanc
On 2/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, Le biatch said:

You have to admit though, it was funny as hell to see Jimmy tea bag one of the downed soldiers trying to kill them.

It was funny if you have the sense of humor of a thirteen year old, maybe

TheSantader25

Better narrative but a disastrous mission design. The game would probably be criticized as "same old GTA no major changes." ppl often forget what the three character switch mechanic brought to the game. Yes it did hurt the story but broke the A to B back to A structure which was getting boring. R* probably won't do multiple characters again but they NEED to find another way to fix their mission structure for the next GTA. 

Algonquin Assassin

Michael's always felt like GTA V's cornerstone anyway. When the trailer launched in 2011 it gave off a darker, grittier, "Heat" like vibe when I thought Michael was going to be the only protagonist which I would've loved to have seen.

Plus it would've spared me of Franklin's blandness and R*'s lame attempt of an "edgy pyscho".

TheSantader25
25 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Michael's always felt like GTA V's cornerstone anyway. When the trailer launched in 2011 it gave off a darker, grittier, "Heat" like vibe when I thought Michael was going to be the only protagonist which I would've loved to have seen.

Plus it would've spared me of Franklin's blandness and R*'s lame attempt of an "edgy pyscho".

Franklin was a missed opportunity. Trevor on the other hand was totally developed to his core. We have ppl like him a lot in real life trust me. What could really make the story better and was lacking was more ONLY FRANKLIN missions and more TREVOR-FRANKLIN missions. There were only 3 missions with the TREVOR-FRANKLIN duo and I loved them. Sadly there weren't more. Franklin's development was good in the first part of the game. But he was forgotten when trevor got involved. 

Utopianthumbs

imo the story would have been more focused with just M , the story more or less revolved around him. But by removing Franklin and especially Trevor, V would lose some of its lustre imo. I know many  people hate him here but imo Trevor really brings the the personality to V with his dialogue and antics, i enjoyed playing as him. The only downside is once he appears poor Franklin gets relegated to a side role, F was cool too imo, they should have expanded on his mentor-student dynamic with Michael more. I think more than removing the other protags they should have reduced the role of the FIB like many say since it dragged on  a bit (I did like Haines though), and given a bigger role to Madrazo perhaps. 

BurnettVice

Maybe we could've had more bonding time with Franklin. To build on their master/apprentice relationship. Your relationship with Franklin makes Trevor jealous and bitter. Trevor could be a side character who turns into a antagonist, half way into the game. You kill Trevor and prove him right, that you were nothing but a snake who only cares about himself. This would be reminiscent to Niko killing Darko in GTA IV but Michael would be in the wrong here. There should be more heists added into the game. At a certain point, you can do them outside of the story in free roam. In the end you have two choices save Franklin or save your family. 

TheSantader25
3 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

imo the story would have been more focused with just M , the story more or less revolved around him. But by removing Franklin and especially Trevor, V would lose some of its lustre imo. I know many  people hate him here but imo Trevor really brings the the personality to V with his dialogue and antics, i enjoyed playing as him. The only downside is once he appears poor Franklin gets relegated to a side role, F was cool too imo, they should have expanded on his mentor-student dynamic with Michael more. I think more than removing the other protags they should have reduced the role of the FIB like many say since it dragged on  a bit (I did like Haines though), and given a bigger role to Madrazo perhaps. 

I feel like despite the criticism the story gets if we divide the game to 5 parts(LS/BLAINE COUNTY/LS/BLAINE COUNTY/BOTH) the first four parts were amazing imo. The fifth part of the game felt rushed. I feel like if we had 10 more missions(including Franklin Only/Trevor-Franklin/Build up to Finale) and had a more intense Finale the story could have been considered a success. The finale came outta no where.