3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Rich.

Red Dead Redemption 2 coming October 26, 2018

IG_

How did they miss the original release window by a year? They made Vice City in a year.

V has 86.092 meshes (including GTAO, not including LOD1+ and characters)

VC has 3.298

That should give you a pretty good idea to the amount of work a modern (Rockstar) game takes

Not to mention V meshes have like tenfold the amount of polygons:P

Meshes?

Jestic

How did they miss the original release window by a year? They made Vice City in a year.

VC has 3.298

That should give you a pretty good idea to the amount of work a modern (Rockstar) game takes

Meshes?

3D Models. Yeah, meshes is a term that is much less used, that's just what I usually call them myself as I'm working on meshes....3D models on a daily basis.

Edited by Jestic

Pink Pineapple

VC has 3.298

That's not really the point. Yeah, I know modern games are more complex. Rockstar Games knows that as well, which is the point. With their size and experience, how do they miscalculate a release date by a year? Either they have terrible managers or these delays were planned.

I mentioned the Vice City development time to show what they can accomplish in a year.

Jason

Using Vice City as an example is still a bad example lol, games are far more complex these days.

The reason why Ubisoft, Activision and EA can pump out games on a strict schedule is because they start development with the end-goal in sight. Remember Assassin's Creed when it was coming out every year? Pretty damn big games with big worlds but the core mechanics were copy and pasted with slight iterations on them. Call of Duty is the same, so are EA's bi-annual shooters (Battlefield, Battlefront). They're all iterative franchises, they come out like clockwork but they all get criticised for being more of the same. None of them do particularly well in the end of year awards, either.

The way a developer like Rockstar, CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, Nintendo, or Valve (when they made games) work is they start development with the "when it's done" philosophy. No amount of experience or planning will be able to tell you when it's done, it's notoriously hard to predict and that's why we see developers who make games that way delay their games frequently. That philosophy is also a big part of the reason why their games are regarded as some of the best of all time, too.

Spider-Vice

What's interesting about Valve is that their games (engine-wise) were very iterated too! The Source engine barely changed between games, to the point you could play Half-Life 2 in Portal just by replacing files, and they still took their time and were pretty careful. And Valve's games ended up being some of the best ever made.

Jason

What's interesting about Valve is that their games (engine-wise) were very iterated too! The Source engine barely changed between games, to the point you could play Half-Life 2 in Portal just by replacing files, and they still took their time and were pretty careful. And Valve's games ended up being some of the best ever made.

Yea if you think Rockstar are bad then Valve back in the 00's were in a whole different league. Max Payne 3 getting a GI preview in 2009 and released in 2012 gets mentioned around here every now and then, but Valve took Team Fortress 2 to E3 in 1999 where it won show awards. It finally released in 2007 and is regarded as one of the greatest multiplayer FPS's of all time, if not the greatest. That's without even getting started on Half Life 3, too.

Basically, good games take time yo.

Edited by Jason

Spider-Vice

The difference between the two is that Valve has a flat-ish hierarchy, where employees can come up with projects and do something about them, including gather a team if they get approval. Rockstar works more conventionally - there's fixed project leads, managers, etc.

Valve's way of working is also more volatile when it comes to project duration.

ROCKSTAR MANIC

Using Vice City as an example is still a bad example lol, games are far more complex these days.

The reason why Ubisoft, Activision and EA can pump out games on a strict schedule is because they start development with the end-goal in sight. Remember Assassin's Creed when it was coming out every year? Pretty damn big games with big worlds but the core mechanics were copy and pasted with slight iterations on them. Call of Duty is the same, so are EA's bi-annual shooters (Battlefield, Battlefront). They're all iterative franchises, they come out like clockwork but they all get criticised for being more of the same. None of them do particularly well in the end of year awards, either.

The way a developer like Rockstar, CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, Nintendo, or Valve (when they made games) work is they start development with the "when it's done" philosophy. No amount of experience or planning will be able to tell you when it's done, it's notoriously hard to predict and that's why we see developers who make games that way delay their games frequently. That philosophy is also a big part of the reason why their games are regarded as some of the best of all time, too.

To be honest, so much delays.. I expect this game to be game of the year nothing less. Usually i dont like to say things like this but, yeah its time.Yeah, I know they aren't perfect but this is their first current gen. With V, I just knew I wanted a game with a good developed story and solid gameplay. Now Witcher 3 is a big one to beat. I hope they actually start to do some about the name. I dont like it. Yeah, I know they can't please everyone. But it just doesn't sound natural.

saintsrow

Basically, good games take time yo.

I expect to hear this line on the TTWO conference call. :p

JamRock7_

Just saw this on Social Club. Is anyone really surprised by another delay? It's quite common for Rockstar to delay their games at least twice.

Since we have a actual date, I'll go ahead and add it to my calendar to make sure I don't miss it.

Anyways, I look forward to playing with you all in RDR2 multiplayer once the game is finally released. :)

Not really. They've only delayed 2 games more than once. And rdr1 and others were delayed by mere days or weeks

VolumeRX

GTA IV 2008, RDR 2010, LA Noire 2011, Max Payne 3 2012, GTA V 2013. a game pretty much every year, now? 1 game every 5 years. It's horrible and they don't deserve. R* have so much budget, they are a HUGE company, and have multiple studios. CDPR and Valve are not to be compared really and R* are not on the "good guys" side.

Zello

Sure but those were in development for several years though. Red dead redemption started development in 2005. Max Payne 3 I think was in development since 2004.

Edited by Zello

Jason

GTA IV 2008, RDR 2010, LA Noire 2011, Max Payne 3 2012, GTA V 2013. a game pretty much every year, now? 1 game every 5 years. It's horrible and they don't deserve. R* have so much budget, they are a HUGE company, and have multiple studios. CDPR and Valve are not to be compared really and R* are not on the "good guys" side.

Once again comparing then to now, it's a comparison that just doesn't work today I'm afraid. Admittedly their output this year has been below what anyone would have expected, but not only are development times for the biggest and best games longer than ever they're more expensive to make than ever so it doesn't surprise me.

It used to be that their multiple studios could handle multiple games at the same time but these days you need multiple just to make one game. For example, Battlefront 2 with it's single player campaign and multiplayer (so no where near as big as a Rockstar open world title) required three studios to make it, that's three studios for a game that like I mentioned was designed with a strict release date in mind, with a set plan. Three. Imagine how many studios RDR2 needs with it's size and scope?

DGSimo

Talking about team sizes, the needs of this generation and technology...for those curious CD Projekt Red, who have been planning and working on the ambitious Cyberpunk 2077 for over 6 years and counting with 2 studios nearly amassing 900 people.

...I mean if you knock a couple hundred off that, it's still insane.

Rockstar with all its subsidiaries likely just tips that. The same will likely happen with GTA VI

Edited by DGSimo

VolumeRX

Sure but those were in development for several years though. Red dead redemption started development in 2005. Max Payne 3 I think was in development since 2004.

Every game is... Assassin's Creed games were in development for years too... they came out year after year, Unity, for 4 years, Origins for 4 years, I'm not talking about how good they are but in general, Rockstar failed to release games, and the ONE f*cking game they release years later, is still delayed for a year, with 3 different dates.

Once again comparing then to now, it's a comparison that just doesn't work today I'm afraid. Admittedly their output this year has been below what anyone would have expected, but not only are development times for the biggest and best games longer than ever they're more expensive to make than ever so it doesn't surprise me.

It used to be that their multiple studios could handle multiple games at the same time but these days you need multiple just to make one game. For example, Battlefront 2 with it's single player campaign and multiplayer (so no where near as big as a Rockstar open world title) required three studios to make it, that's three studios for a game that like I mentioned was designed with a strict release date in mind, with a set plan. Three. Imagine how many studios RDR2 needs with it's size and scope?

One game since 5 years is a joke. they have multiple studios? make more games with them. TW3 was made with 2 studios. ND made UC4 3 years after TLOU with 1 studio. and 3 years after UC4, TLOU2 will come out, 2019 tops. they are smaller than Rockstar. It's just that Rockstar don't care, their ego is too inflated too, not just with how they interact with us, but they got their heads up their asses, as if Ferrari would release 1 top car every 5 years... I'd love to have GTA VI in 2020 for example, and If they wanted they could've done that, with multiple studios, more employees, with their budget and grandure It won't be so insanely difficult to the point that every 5 years only 1 game comes out. we won't see sh*t until later than 2020 sadly. R* should do alot more for the fans, not only how they behave with them, but in terms of content.

Zello

Multiple studios work on the same game why do you think they have studios in different parts of the world in different time zones? When one of them is asleep the other is busy working. This is from a former Ubisoft dev

http://gingearstudio.com/why-i-quit-my-dream-job-at-ubisoft

After a few months, Syndicate started for real. The team was getting bigger and bigger as we entered production. For me, this is the root of all issues on AAA games: big teams. Too many people. Syndicate was created with the collaboration of about 10 studios in the world. This is 24 hour non-stop development. When people go to sleep in one studio, its morning in another one.

I assume that's how it may be like at R* if R* San Diego is done for the day R* India on the other side of the world is just maybe starting their morning working on the same game. Edited by Zello

Jason

Yea, a few of us just explained why triple AAA game development has gone of the walls for developers this generation but if you wanna continue believing it's because Rockstar have an over inflated ego and don't care about making games they can sell anymore (think about that for a second) then more power to ya.

Jestic

Talking about team sizes, the needs of this generation and technology...for those curious CD Projekt Red, who have been planning and working on the ambitious Cyberpunk 2077 for over 6 years and counting with 2 studios nearly amassing 900 people.

Rockstar with all its subsidiaries likely just tips that. The same will likely happen with GTA VI

This is an interesting question, how many people do work at Rockstar?

Is that public info?

I've been told North alone has around 500, another one has said 600, and their running out of office space (and they moved to a different office post V release)

~INDIO~

Every game is... Assassin's Creed games were in development for years too... they came out year after year, Unity, for 4 years, Origins for 4 years, I'm not talking about how good they are but in general, Rockstar failed to release games, and the ONE f*cking game they release years later, is still delayed for a year, with 3 different dates.

One game since 5 years is a joke. they have multiple studios? make more games with them. TW3 was made with 2 studios. ND made UC4 3 years after TLOU with 1 studio. and 3 years after UC4, TLOU2 will come out, 2019 tops. they are smaller than Rockstar. It's just that Rockstar don't care, their ego is too inflated too, not just with how they interact with us, but they got their heads up their asses, as if Ferrari would release 1 top car every 5 years... I'd love to have GTA VI in 2020 for example, and If they wanted they could've done that, with multiple studios, more employees, with their budget and grandure It won't be so insanely difficult to the point that every 5 years only 1 game comes out. we won't see sh*t until later than 2020 sadly. R* should do alot more for the fans, not only how they behave with them, but in terms of content.Please don't compare an overrated, limited zombie game to Red Dead. TLOU is good, but nowhere near R* level. Same goes for Uncharted, even more so.

Jestic

One game since 5 years is a joke. they have multiple studios? make more games with them. TW3 was made with 2 studios. ND made UC4 3 years after TLOU with 1 studio. and 3 years after UC4, TLOU2 will come out, 2019 tops. they are smaller than Rockstar. It's just that Rockstar don't care, their ego is too inflated too, not just with how they interact with us, but they got their heads up their asses, as if Ferrari would release 1 top car every 5 years... I'd love to have GTA VI in 2020 for example, and If they wanted they could've done that, with multiple studios, more employees, with their budget and grandure It won't be so insanely difficult to the point that every 5 years only 1 game comes out. we won't see sh*t until later than 2020 sadly. R* should do alot more for the fans, not only how they behave with them, but in terms of content.

You mention Sony studios. An interesting fact that many people don't know is that massive amounts of Art from their games are outsourced to Asia. So while it may seem there is a single studio working on them, in reality there are hundreds of people more worldwide, mostly Asian.

Ofcourse Rockstar used to outsource a lot to Technicolor in India, which they have absorbed and made it Rockstar India

Also, there are multiple projects in development at R*. I'm 99% certain there won't be a 5 year gap between RDR2 and the next game, which could very well be VI.

Edited by Jestic

jaljax

I think we all knew it was coming

I'm actually glad they delayed it again because if it wasn't for it then we might've got a unpolished game , but of course i don't think they would release something like that.

Edited by jaljax

Kally G

One game since 5 years is a joke. they have multiple studios? make more games with them. TW3 was made with 2 studios. ND made UC4 3 years after TLOU with 1 studio. and 3 years after UC4, TLOU2 will come out, 2019 tops. they are smaller than Rockstar. It's just that Rockstar don't care, their ego is too inflated too, not just with how they interact with us, but they got their heads up their asses, as if Ferrari would release 1 top car every 5 years... I'd love to have GTA VI in 2020 for example, and If they wanted they could've done that, with multiple studios, more employees, with their budget and grandure It won't be so insanely difficult to the point that every 5 years only 1 game comes out. we won't see sh*t until later than 2020 sadly. R* should do alot more for the fans, not only how they behave with them, but in terms of content.Please don't compare an overrated, limited zombie game to Red Dead. TLOU is good, but nowhere near R* level. Same goes for Uncharted, even more so.

The last of us is an incredible game. I personally think its oke of the best ever made. But it is a much smaller, linear experience. R* is going for a more ambitious game and said them self that they want to transcend the open world genre. We already know that they create some of the most beautiful open worlds with the most substance within them. So it just makes sense that it would require more time.

Rockstar Vienna

Here's the thing... Look at the Rockstar studios and their work over the last 10-15 years. It sounds like Rockstar has thousands of people and huge studios working on games. But in reality most of the studios are pretty small and are responsible for marketing, localization, ports or... have not worked on a new (their own) title over the last 10 years or so. Imo Rockstar's 3 big studios are North, San Diego and Toronto (former Vancouver included) - The 3 that worked on all R* games that came out over the last 10 years (with the exception of Chinatown Wars from R* Leeds in 2009) GTA IV, TLAD, TBOGT, RDR, Max Payne 3 and GTA V/Online. L.A. Noire was mainly developed by Team Bondi. Every other studio just worked on ports, helped other studios or... worked and released their own games during PS2 and PS3 days. Games you can not compare to games these days.

Most of Rockstar's studios could not work on a new title alone these days. This was possible maybe 15 years ago or even during the early PS3 days if you will. But not today. Today it's about the big 2-3 studios with lots of support from all the smaller ones. So I think right now Rockstar is working on 3 new games, not more. RDR2, GTA VI and the new IP Take Two talked about a while ago (Agent is dead imo). In the mid to late 00's they worked on much more games at a time. But like many in here already wrote... Those were different times!

But one thing's for sure imo: The success of GTA Online definitely changed Rockstar's release schedule a bit. I already talked about this but without the success of GTAO we would have seen something else over the last 2-3 years. Maybe not RDR2 but we would have seen a story DLC for V and maybe another remastered title like L.A. Noire. Cause in the end they're running a business after all. So have they become a bit lazy with all the GTAO money? Yes and no imo. I would say GTAO just gave them lots of time and opportunities (and money of course). Money that hopefully was used in a great way for RDR2!

Edited by Rockstar Vienna

DGSimo

This is an interesting question, how many people do work at Rockstar?

Is that public info?

I've been told North alone has around 500, another one has said 600, and their running out of office space (and they moved to a different office post V release)

For GTAV back in 2013 there was over 1000 Rockstar employees working on the game. Nearly 400 of those were in Rockstar North alone.

Now there's likely a lot more than that working on Red Dead and GTA online updates, and especially since Rockstar opened up their new subsidiary in India hiring some of the Technicolor staff.

damienrayemusic

Here's the thing... Look at the Rockstar studios and their work over the last 10-15 years. It sounds like Rockstar has thousands of people and huge studios working on games. But in reality most of the studios are pretty small and are responsible for marketing, localization, ports or... have not worked on a new (their own) title over the last 10 years or so. Imo Rockstar's 3 big studios are North, San Diego and Toronto (former Vancouver included) - The 3 that worked on all R* games that came out over the last 10 years (with the exception of Chinatown Wars from R* Leeds in 2009) GTA IV, TLAD, TBOGT, RDR, Max Payne 3 and GTA V/Online. L.A. Noire was mainly developed by Team Bondi. Every other studio just worked on ports, helped other studios or... worked and released their own games during PS2 and PS3 days. Games you can not compare to games these days.

Most of Rockstar's studios could not work on a new title alone these days. This was possible maybe 15 years ago or even during the early PS3 days if you will. But not today. Today it's about the big 2-3 studios with lots of support from all the smaller ones. So I think right now Rockstar is working on 3 new games, not more. RDR2, GTA VI and the new IP Take Two talked about a while ago (Agent is dead imo). In the mid to late 00's they worked on much more games at a time. But like many in here already wrote... Those were different times!

But one thing's for sure imo: The success of GTA Online definitely changed Rockstar's release schedule a bit. I already talked about this but without the success of GTAO we would have seen something else over the last 2-3 years. Maybe not RDR2 but we would have seen a story DLC for V and maybe another remastered title like L.A. Noire. Cause in the end they're running a business after all. So have they become a bit lazy with all the GTAO money? Yes and no imo. I would say GTAO just gave them lots of time and opportunities (and money of course). Money that hopefully was used in a great way for RDR2!

about your last statement, no worries:) rockstars imran sarwar even said himself, online updates give the time and resources to build massive single player games... they are working flat out on RDR2, to all single player fans, dont worry. He said somethin like that in the GI/ign interview

Buckcote

GTA V was great game but not what i expected truly. It suffer car damage,physics,melee system,enterable interiors etc.. What i want to say is GTAV wasnt worth 2 years of waiting for me. I hope this time they make RDR2 incredibly good and worth all delays.

Edited by Buckcote

Cozzi

GTA V was great game but not what i expected truly. It suffer car damage,physics,melee system,enterable interiors etc.. What i want to say is GTAV wasnt worth 2 years of waiting for me. I hope this time they make RDR2 incredibly good and worth all delays.

I forgot how many interiors i expected to be done until you said this. when we were all doing GTA:V Mapping and speculation i thought we would have like 50% interiors on houses and buildings. Boy was i wrong, yo.

Emmi

I hope RDR 2 will be worth all the wait.

GTA V was not worth the wait, that I can say for sure!

VolumeRX

Yea, a few of us just explained why triple AAA game development has gone of the walls for developers this generation but if you wanna continue believing it's because Rockstar have an over inflated ego and don't care about making games they can sell anymore (think about that for a second) then more power to ya.

Sorry but don't you think that both R* and T2 have really inflated egos? I'm sure I'm not the only one that knows they don't give a sh*t ALOT.

I'd disagree, and I am a R* fan since Vice City, ND I always saw them from the side until 2017 when I bought a console. None of their games are overrated... and ND aren't the only studio that I mentioned too.

You mention Sony studios. An interesting fact that many people don't know is that massive amounts of Art from their games are outsourced to Asia. So while it may seem there is a single studio working on them, in reality there are hundreds of people more worldwide, mostly Asian.

Ofcourse Rockstar used to outsource a lot to Technicolor in India, which they have absorbed and made it Rockstar India

Also, there are multiple projects in development at R*. I'm 99% certain there won't be a 5 year gap between RDR2 and the next game, which could very well be VI.

Ok, but I didn't ONLY mention Sony Studios, CDPR are such a pleasant example, they have less studios.. TW3 is so good.. Cyberpunk 2077 is maybe like their 'Agent' though. still I wish there would be a R* game in 3 years max for example, but I'm pretty sure there won't :\ though a 5 year gap wouldn't make sense too and I'd agree with your last sentence... It'd be a dream If it will be GTA VI. depends when though.

jackemannen

Fun fact: October 26 1881 at around 3:00 PM, a shootout between lawmen and outlaws took place at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona. Rockstar didnt pick this date by accident.

Edited by jackemannen