2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Gtaman_92

How come we never got a GTA in Chicago before?

Gtaman_92

It has tons to offer as a GTA setting.

-Third largest city in America.

-Home to many different eithic gangs such as the Itailian Mob, Vice Lords and Gangster Disciples ,Thhe Triads, the Russian Mafia.

-Tons of cutural references that can be parodied.

-Corrupt politians and crooked cops.

- large countryside inbetween and if R* wanted they can include Detroit and St Louis.

I'm rather baffled as to why we haven't seen it as a setting before.

Edit: sorry for the spelling. I was in a bit of a rush while making this thread.

Edited by Gtaman_92

Algonquin Assassin

I'm not sure, but I think it would be really cool. The depiction of Chicago in Watch Dogs was pretty good IMO. I would also like GTA versions of Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia etc.

Journey_95

Good question, guess Rockstar mostly focused on the most well known american cities so far. I would definitely prefer Chicago over Miami again (just without the 80's charm) for GTA VI. It would be refreshing after V's setting while Miami would feel a bit too similiar.

Edited by Journey_95

Aquamaniac

I guess for an international audience New York, Miami and Los Angeles is more interesting. At the end the actual location is overrated in my opinion, the more relevant question is, is the game focused on a metropolitan area only (as in IV) or does it have a large countryside, I prefer the later. At the end I think any major city would feel the same (at least for me it would) unless you are a local.

Alex Chilton

USA cities by population

1- NY (Gta 4)

2- LA (GTA 5)

3- Chicago (GTA 6)

Keano

USA cities by population

1- NY (Gta 4)

2- LA (GTA 5)

3- Chicago (GTA 6)

Hmm...that's not a bad way to look at it. I'm calling it a coincidence but well thought of and Rockstar could actually be viewing it like this. Who am I to disagree?

I can hate on Watch Dogs 1 until I'm blue in the face (I love 2) but their take on Chicago was very well done so I can imagine Rockstar wanting to outdo Ubisoft with this.

GTA-Biker

I think it would be cool to see a GTA game set in Chicago,especially because we never before had a GTA set in the Midwest so it would be something fresh and interesting.Chicago is a well known city (one of the largest American cities, popular with tourists who want to start traveling on Route 66, appeared in many movies and TV shows...) and it has a lot of gangs (the Italian mafia is the most well known because of Al Capone,but there's also Outlaws MC, various street gangs and many other gangs),so it could work as a GTA setting.

confederatestatesgta

there are plenty of settings we have never had before in gta. chicago is a good city. and i could see it as a decent location for gta. but there are other places they could use too. i would rather they have it in a city that dosent get much love in media. we already saw rockstar expanding a little by having north yankton. thats based on the dakotas. so i think maybe eventually we will see more unique and different locations in future games.

Journey_95

there are plenty of settings we have never had before in gta. chicago is a good city. and i could see it as a decent location for gta. but there are other places they could use too. i would rather they have it in a city that dosent get much love in media. we already saw rockstar expanding a little by having north yankton. thats based on the dakotas. so i think maybe eventually we will see more unique and different locations in future games.

North Yankton was only used for two missions though..the rest of the game took place in LS (basically the most well known american city, alongside New York). I doubt Rockstar would use a more unknown city as the main setting.

RetroMystic

Chicago is a pretty common location for Gangster films. Rockstar just doesn't like the midwest?

Hmmm nice bike

Maybe they literally think everything outside of New York and LA is nothing but corn fields and Chicago must be some trading outpost with a barn, a church and 3 houses, lol.

It would be nice to see Chicago as a location, just to change things up a bit. It would be a great start for doing a city that they haven't done before, and it should be good as long as it comes after VC or some other location that isn't too similar to it (it's a pretty unique city, like most major US cities, but some might think it's still too similar to New York/LC).

Nem_Wan

It's a lot more practical to stick to New York and L.A. in terms of pulling together the vast amounts of location research they need. Rockstar's headquarters is in New York and both cities have the most location scouts and troves of iconic images to mine. They could do other cities but they can do these two better. The landmarks can get familiar, each of these games are only recreating a few square miles of cities that are hundreds of square miles in real life. A new Liberty City would be as different from GTA IV as from GTA III.

Edited by Nem_Wan

Official General

It's a lot more practical to stick to New York and L.A. in terms of pulling together the vast amounts of location research they need. Rockstar's headquarters is in New York and both cities have the most location scouts and troves of iconic images to mine. They could do other cities but they can do these two better. The landmarks can get familiar, each of these games are only recreating a few square miles of cities that are hundreds of square miles in real life. A new Liberty City would be as different from GTA IV as from GTA III.

NO

I'd most definitely chose Chicago over another NYC or LA setting, and Chicago has more than enough GTA-themed material and iconic status to create a great GTA game. I see no reason to go back to what's already been done in recent instalments of the series. The only city they need to return to that's already been done in the past is Vice City, because it has not had a HD makeover like LC or LSD has.

I would not even mind if they created a modern-day SF and LV expansion on the current V map - just anything to get away from LS would do at this point !

Nem_Wan

NO

I'd most definitely chose Chicago over another NYC or LA setting, and Chicago has more than enough GTA-themed material and iconic status to create a great GTA game. I see no reason to go back to what's already been done in recent instalments of the series. The only city they need to return to that's already been done in the past is Vice City, because it has not had a HD makeover like LC or LSD has.

I would not even mind if they created a modern-day SF and LV expansion on the current V map - just anything to get away from LS would do at this point !

The problem with Vice City/Miami is its peak pop culture relevance was back in the '80s. Present day may not be as appealing, and doing the '80s again would be a third trip to the well after VC and VCS. Are they supposed to bring back the same songs too? For it to be the kind of game I'd want personally, it would have to go against expectations and make everyone who wants a new Vice City that feels like the old Vice City absolutely hate it. The most likely trigger for a Vice City remake would be everyone at Rockstar who made the first one being retired and new people trying to recapture past glory.

Efreet

I don't think that R* is the type of publisher who writes games in order to serve fans. If everybody around is asking for Vice City, chances are R* is thinking of doing something else. They might also be working on Vice City, yes, but the atmosphere and central characters usually come up as a surprise and unique, only to serve what R* sees to be interesting to talk about. Who thought about characters like Trevor and multi-protagonists in V? Not a Grand Theft Auto game, but Max Payne in Sao Paulo? You get my idea.

Edited by Efreet

Gtaman_92

NO

The problem with Vice City/Miami is its peak pop culture relevance was back in the '80s. Present day may not be as appealing, and doing the '80s again would be a third trip to the well after VC and VCS. Are they supposed to bring back the same songs too? For it to be the kind of game I'd want personally, it would have to go against expectations and make everyone who wants a new Vice City that feels like the old Vice City absolutely hate it. The most likely trigger for a Vice City remake would be everyone at Rockstar who made the first one being retired and new people trying to recapture past glory.

I agree.

Miami is pretty dull these days and I see no reason for R* to return to it anytime soon.

Official General

NO

* There is more to Miami than the 1980s.

* Present-day Miami is very appealing, just because its not the 1980s, it don't make it any less appealing than it was then.

* Nobody really knows how much fans will like a new VC, but one thing is certain - as long as its a great game with a great map, exciting/interesting story and characters, many good features, great gameplay etc - we can be sure that it would be a huge success.

* I'd rather see a new VC before Chicago, but I'd be happy with Chicago/Midwest.

Edited by Official General

Journey_95

NO

* Present-day Miami is very appealing, just because its not the 1980s, it don't make it any less appealing than it was then.

* Nobody really knows how much fans will like a new VC, but one thing is certain - as long as its a great game with a great map, exciting/interesting story and characters, many good features, great gameplay etc - we can be sure that it would be a huge success.

* I'd rather see a new VC before Chicago, but I'd be happy with Chicago/Midwest.

While I think VC might be boring in modern day, you are right that it really just depends on how Rockstar handles it. Hell they managed to make modern day LS boring as hell with no real focus on the criminal underworld, despite the potential with the cartels and different gangs etc.

So yeah it depends on the execution.

Edited by Journey_95

Official General

NO

While I think VC might be boring in modern day, you are right that it really just depends on how Rockstar handles it. Hell they managed to make modern day LS boring as hell with no real focus on the criminal underworld, despite the potential with the cartels and different gangs etc.

Modern-day Miami is not boring by any means in real life, believe it or not. It's a much, MUCH bigger city than ever before, a tropical metropolis that has got tons of vibrant and hedonistic, nightlife, entertainment, music scenes, and more. On top of that it's a playground for the rich to show off all kinds of supercars (typically GTA) and the city is still a very dangerous place - it has a lot drug trade/activity, organized crime, gangs, shootings and street crime. It's perfect GTA material, it just depends how well Rockstar execute it.

Journey_95

NO

Modern-day is not boring by any means in real life, believe it or not. It's a much, MUCH bigger city than ever before, a tropical metropolis that has got tons of vibrant and hedonistic, nightlife, entertainment, music scenes, and more. On top of that it's a playground for the rich to show off all kinds of supercars (typically GTA) and the city is still a very dangerous place - it has a lot drug trade/activity, organized crime, gangs, shootings and street crime. It's perfect GTA material, it just depends how well Rockstar execute it.

Watch them waste it by focusing on the most boring aspects and "satire"..But seriously I hope they learned from their mistakes with V.

Cheatz/Trickz

I think they've avoided Chicago because it isn't really that noteworthy outside of just being a very big, typical American city. But the cities Rockstar have recreated are all culturally significant and iconic, they are the A-listers of cities, the most famous celebrities of locations, havens for the pop culture GTA feeds on.

PS: Watch Dogs' take on Chicago was great and it nailed the dark and dangerous atmosphere in a similar way to IV, but I see Chicago's use as more of a template. In a GTA game the city is vital to the story and characters to the point that it is almost a character itself. Without that city we can't have that story. But the story of WD could really be told anywhere.

Edited by Cheatz/Trickz

Hmmm nice bike

But the story of WD could really be told anywhere.

To be fair, GTA V's story also could have been told anywhere. Just swap out the desert and other countryside areas for a swamp and fields and the Solomon Richards film studio for InterGlobal Films and you'd have V set in Vice City with little to no other changes besides location names. They poorly utilized Los Santos in the story.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

universetwisters

Because Watch Dogs did it better.

Also shut up about Vice City not being interesting in the modern day. As much as I would love to see them return to the 80s, the crime in modern day Miami is nearly as bad as it was back in the 80s, just replace coke dealers with gangbangers.

Edited by universetwisters

jaljax

I don't know , but that would be very interesting to see that happen.

Gtaman_92

Also shut up about Vice City not being interesting in the modern day. As much as I would love to see them return to the 80s, the crime in modern day Miami is nearly as bad as it was back in the 80s, just replace coke dealers with gangbangers.

Miami is not relevant no more. Edited by Gtaman_92

universetwisters

Miami is not relevant no more.

[citation needed]

Official General

Miami is not relevant no more.In your head yes it is not. In reality yes indeed IT IS.

Aside from being Americas premier sunny paradise and an internationally renowned tourist destination, Miami is still a very dangerous big city with seriously high levels of gun violence and gang activity, nearly all of it still drug related.

If thats not relevant to ideas for a prime GTA location, then I dont know what is.

VictorVance1239

That's why I like having multiple protagonists. At some point I'd like a GTA to have each main character living in a different city then the other then at some point they all come together for different reasons. Going back and forth between each city as the story progresses then we'd have all these cities as options to play in online as well.

One could be in Chicago, one in DC and some in Detroit or some other place. Could also have Liberty City be part of it just because.

Edited by VictorVance1239

AdmiralAmmunation

I'm guessing because to Rockstar:

'Liberty City is already big and gray, let's not to another city that's big and gray.'

Just guessing.

Not that it can't be done so it's not big and gray, but in Watch_Dogs the setting was awful. Just big and gray.

Jdogg4089

The city was not gray in watch dogs. It actually had some color and not a dumb filter like GTA iv