2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

trip

Let's write an Xbox One game

trip

I'm going to update and format this post when I'm sitting at a better computer.

Back during the days of the Xbox 360 Microsoft let developers self publish games to the Xbox store. I had tons of fun writing games and testing them on my 360. I never had anything published but I didn't really try hard. When I did put serious effort into a game it made it all the way through peer review and was stopped due to concerns over IP.

When the Xbox One came out they did away with self publishing for the more restricted [email protected]

That has changed and now any developer can self publish. It costs about $100 a year to keep an Xbox developers account.

So with all of that...Let's Write an Xbox One Game. I'm serious. Even if it is sh*tty. I've noticed some of the 'creator' games are pretty sh*tty. I know we can match that.

Here is the link at Microsoft for how to set up your development environment to write Xbox One games.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/getting-started

Because I'm lazy and like Managed Code(I miss XNA) I plan on using MonoGame to make things fast and easy as far as development.

http://www.monogame.net/

So to summarize:

Install Microsoft Visual Studio

Install Windows SDK

Install DirectX

Install MonoGame

And let's write an Xbox One game.

Quick Update:

So i just now looked at the Monogame template. Oh my!!!! It's XNA. I'm going to freak out because I can write with XNA in my sleep.

There is nothing stopping this project now.

Edited by trip

K^2

In general, going full multi-platform is a royal pain, but there is zero reason not to cross-publish with Windows, especially with MonoGame. Getting the game onto the Steam store would cost about the same as getting it onto XBOne, and quality bar is lower, if anything.

Either way, I'm interested. I don't think I'd have the time to contribute to anything particularly complex, but a good, well-polished 2D platformer is entirely within reach.

Did you have a genre in mind?

trip

Ahhh. Good idea with the cross platform thought.

I don't really have a genre in mind. I enjoy doing parallaxing backgrounds so maybe some sort of platform jumper?

I have a space shooter that was for the most part finished and just needed a variety of bosses created. That might be fun to finish.

We could always do something silly and GTAFcentric.

*outside of this thread I'll be doing a slot machine using my dogs. I'll edit in a pic of the one I did for the 360. The slot machine is going to be my lab to help figure out how to navigate the new Xbox creators publishing and whatnot.

K^2

You know what I haven't seen in a good while? A solid bullet hell platformer. Cuphead was sort of in that vein, but with very little actual platforming. And most other action platformers aren't really bullet hell. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Contra, but with modern platforming mechanics.

It's a simple enough concept, it can do with bare bones assets, but it can also shine if a good artist joins up. It has all the elements, I think, that both of us are looking in the project. And while I don't think it'd be a smashing hit, it's fresh enough to pick up some interest.

trip

but it can also shine if a good artist joins up.

That is the key. That is why every game I've done has either stalled or just sucked.

It can also be hard to find an artist willing to deal with the bullsh*t of it all. There are tons of people out there with graphic skills but when you ask them if they can do spritesheets usually they don't know what you are talking about and when you explain it seems like they don't want to take on the task of redrawing their same character 100 different times just to represent a particular animation.

But a quick tech update for now.

As of yesterday I have everything 100% and ready to go. Xbox in dev mode and I'm able to push the game work to the Xbox.

trip

Just a quick update so people don't think I'm bailing on this or anything.

As I mentioned I'm going to quietly do a quick slot machine game to get familiar with the new way of writing, debugging, and publishing xbox games.

I'm making quick headway and when I have to completed code I will share it from my website for anyone to mess around with.

And because I'm excited I just want to say I much prefer the new Dev Mode over the old XNA Creators way of debugging. I also feel way too Microsoft during this project because I'm sitting on my couch using my MS Surface Pro 4 to write games for the Xbox.

I'm not sharing any screenshots (of the quick slotmachine game) since I'm still in placeholder mode.

trip

Still all placeholder filled but most of the mechanics are worked out.

Just wanted to show a picture of Sunday morning couch coding an Xbox game.

fjx7enf.jpg

trip

I'm suffering a bit of a delay as I try to deal with the new way(s) of dealing with xbox one storage. Storage is needed to preserve gamestate. Even with my test game(pugslots) I need to make sure your money/score is saved and that you start up with the same amount of money you left off with.

After my demo game is done I will compile all the steps and lessons learned onto some sort of webpage at my site, as well as make the complete source code available.

K^2

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with storage, but from what I've heard, it's a nightmare. If you need pointers, I can probably put you in touch with the guy on our team who was responsible for it.

trip

I think I may be on the right track, but I will totally take you up on pointing towards someone with pointers if needed.

I have to use 'connected storage'. It looks like the namespace I need is part of a nuget package for one of the Xbox live packages. When I installed the package my whole solution blows up. I have this sinking feeling it may want me to be using Visual Studio 17.

I recently uninstalled all of my VS 17 stuff. I just cant dig out the hours(whole f*cking day) to install VS17 right now.

trip

Update:

Still dealing with storage woes. In my defense my regular job has been nuts and not like I've had a ton of free time where I can stomach looking at a computer.

I'm blaming (me using) Monogame and lack of documentation specific to Xbox one. I will solve this. Snow day off of work tomorrow. Maybe that will be the day.

lancevance123

Hello guys! 

I know some basics of photoshop and I may Help in designing icons, splash and any other little  graphical stuff... 

trip

Be careful what you offer.  HAHAHA

I am forever in need of graphics help.

This will pick back up after some RL work stuff settles down.  Promise...I've been thinking about it, but unfortunately I don't get to dictate when my work life goes nutty.