Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,285 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

BLADE_San_Andreas

Your opinion on GTA V radio

DylRicho

Vice City, Vice City Stories and San Andreas have the best radios.

GTA IV radio was terrible. Not a single song that I liked or knew.

Lmao. Something's terribly wrong with your music taste if you think Vice City n Stories had the best, and that you didn't like anything on IV.

Are you kidding me? 80s music is the best. So many modern songs borrow from those genres, and yet they do it injustice. GTA IV and V are mostly modern trash.

Edited by DylRicho

B Dawg

80s music is horribly overrated, especially the popular sh*t which VC/VCS were full of. GTA IV is modern trash? Hmm, lets see:

- Fusion FM and IF99 are primarily 70s;

- K109 and LRR (TLAD) are a mix of 70s and 80s music;

- LCHC (IV) is primarily 80s, (TLAD) is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- LRR (IV) is a mix of 70s, 80s and 90s;

- Massive B is 00s and trash all the way through, no doubt;

- Radio Broker (IV and TLAD), are 00s, half great half bad;

- Journey is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- Vibe is a mix of 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s;

- Tuff Gong is mostly 70s, but it's pretty much only one group/band, hence why it's a lazily made station;

- Classics is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- Too lazy to keep going

So get your facts straight. Just because something is not 80s, doesn't mean it's trash, and if it trash, the period from which it came from is certainly not the issue. 80s had plenty of it's own bad music.

Edited by B Dawg

DylRicho

So get your facts straight.

Someone's a little butthurt. But I must admit; I've played GTA IV for what you'd consider a couple of days. After playing GTA V, going back to IV feels like a chore. I actually held off buying it because I didn't want to be playing in NYC yet again, despite being impressed by the graphics. And so eight years went by before I picked up a copy. I actually bought GTA V, before I bought IV.

The radio wasn't on much at all. I recognized nothing from the radio list, which is all that really matters though.

I will listen to most genres, with a few exceptions; rap, opera and screamo. So just know that I'm not necessarily hating on the genres, but rather what modern music has become. My favorites being rock (modern, classic, whatever), and generally anything with an 80s vibe. I try and stay away from modern music; it's at the point where I let the radio play me something, and if I like it, I get it. I don't go out looking for new songs because it's a futile effort.

Edited by DylRicho

B Dawg

Why do you have to ''recognize'' something from the radio? If you haven't heard it before via radio/TV, it's crap then? What is wrong with you?

Edited by B Dawg

DylRicho

Why do you have to ''recognize'' something from the radio? If you haven't heard it before via radio/TV, it's crap then? What is wrong with you?

A good soundtrack will usually have something that you've heard before. You can't make a decent soundtrack without putting in a song that's well-liked.

There's nothing wrong with me.

Edit:

I feel that since it may not be clear already, that I should also clarify that I don't require songs I know for it to be a good soundtrack. Just a couple of songs, which really isn't that hard of an accomplishment. There's a sh*t ton of material to license, and as much material that's widely known.

Edited by DylRicho

B Dawg

A good soundtrack will usually have something that you've heard before. You can't make a decent soundtrack without putting in a song that's well-liked.

I guess you have a very, very weird definition of what a ''good soundtrack'' is.

And looking for new songs is not futile at all. There's a f*ck ton of great music to be found and listened to.

Brian_O_Malley

80s music is horribly overrated, especially the popular sh*t which VC/VCS were full of. GTA IV is modern trash? Hmm, lets see:

- Fusion FM and IF99 are primarily 70s;

- K109 and LRR (TLAD) are a mix of 70s and 80s music;

- LCHC (IV) is primarily 80s, (TLAD) is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- LRR (IV) is a mix of 70s, 80s and 90s;

- Massive B is 00s and trash all the way through, no doubt;

- Radio Broker (IV and TLAD), are 00s, half great half bad;

- Journey is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- Vibe is a mix of 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s;

- Tuff Gong is mostly 70s, but it's pretty much only one group/band, hence why it's a lazily made station;

- Classics is a mix of 80s and 90s;

- Too lazy to keep going

So get your facts straight. Just because something is not 80s, doesn't mean it's trash, and if it trash, the period from which it came from is certainly not the issue. 80s had plenty of it's own bad music.

Regardless, It's still a bland selection compared to other GTA's, with only a hand full of memorable songs.

DylRicho

I guess you have a very, very weird definition of what a ''good soundtrack'' is.

And looking for new songs is not futile at all. There's a f*ck ton of great music to be found and listened to.

What you like, and what I like are bound to be entirely different things and therefore subjective, so your latter statement is meaningless for the purpose of the argument you're trying to make.

Yes, there's music out there. But it's so few and far between, that it's just not worth my time to go explicitly looking for it. It doesn't have to be in the Top 40, or the Billboard 100, but that's honestly what most of the sh*t feels like; regurgitated dancepop. I actually came across a couple of decent modern songs thanks to GTA V, so it's not like I am against all modern music. I also came to like 80s music because of Vice City. Beforehand, I wasn't exposed to much of it because I grew up in the 90s when music had shifted to a different sound.

So yes, I thank Vice City for what it gave me, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to a radio station that doesn't just play recycled dancepop garbage.

Edited by DylRicho

Tengerecki

I'm just happy they added something that's available in singleplayer too. (Talking about "Blonded")

Edited by Tengerecki

Ash_735

Ok folks, going off topic here, this thread isn't about other people's taste in music.

CoolMods

I can listen to all of them except, Radio Mirror Park, Rebel Radio. I Love Radio LS, Non Stop Pop FM & West Coast Classics (my personal fav)

GLDR669
Posted (edited)

GTA V radio is absolutely amazing. So many different genres, so many different vibes that all fit the setting perfectly. I'm no fan of pop music, but Non Stop Pop has got to be a top 5 radio station in any GTA just because it fits the vibe of the game so well. If you let it, Lowdown lends that Tarantino-esque flavor to all of your heists. FlyLo FM belongs in your street races or high speed chases, Los Santos Rock Radio for your sunset drives through Del Perro or the Vinewood Hills. blonded Los Santos is not only on the cutting edge of hip new music but has the most interesting variety of genres to date, laying 70's Todd Rundgren tracks next to 90's R+B next to Frank Ocean and Playboi Carti tracks from just six months ago.

Only stinker (and it's a huge stinker) is The Lab, a slog of boring and messy tracks that don't fit the vibe of the game whatsoever, also Oh No and Alchemist are not nearly as funny as they think they are.

Shocked at all the people in this thread (and in the gaming community at large) that can't seem to find anything to enjoy that isn't metal, 80's pop (which there is a ton of in GTA V), or sh*tty 70's rock like Deep Purple. GTA V's radio is so thoughtfully curated that in a decade or so, GTA V will work as a period piece like Vice City from the radio alone.

Edited by GLDR669

Drug Tino

The (more or less) good:
- Los Santos Rock Radio
- Non-Stop Pop

- Blue Ark

- Rebel Radio
- West Coast Classics

The (more or less) bad:
- World Wide FM
- Space
- Lab
- Blonded
- FlyLo FM

The ugly:
- Soulwax
- Radio Los Santos (not worthy the name)
- Channel X
- Didididididi dididididi dididididi- gay gay gay gay etc.

And the in between:
- Radio Mirror Park
- Vinewood Boulevard Radio
- Lowdown

All in all, there are some decent stations and even some great songs here and there but then again it surely cannot compete with SA (K Rose, K-DST, Radio X, Radio Los Santos) or IV (LRR, Vladivostok, K109) or Vice City's 80s in general imo.

Hmmm nice bike

- Lab

- Blonded

- FlyLo FM

Not since the days of Head Radio and Lips 106 has more than one radio station in the same game sounded almost exactly the same. The Lab and Blonded almost felt like they could have been additions to FlyLo. Wasn't a fan of those newly added radio stations at all.

For the rest of the soundtrack, I honestly thought it was just okay. Non Stop Pop was good, but the 80s pop and 90s dance tracks felt out of place on it and would have been better suited for being their own separate stations. Los Santos Rock Radio wasn't bad, but a lot of people obviously weren't fans of the soft rock/yacht rock approach compared to KDST and LRR (I also didn't think it was as good of a classic rock station as those, either), and some tracks did sound more like pop (especially "Higher Love" by Steve Winwood) and would have been a better fit on an 80s or general oldies station if the game had one.

ElGrandoSmokio35

I also disagree about the new Radios and its Songs. But one thing I realized is that the game is set in a modern time, so the songs and radios changed with new songs. Luckily, they put in new radio stations with old school songs like West Coast Classics with old school West Coast raps, Radio X with old school rock, and more. I'm not used to listen to some other stations, I loved West Coast Classics!

Le biatch

I think all of you are missing the point of the music. It's always been there to spread a message that alot will never notice. It's all been carefully selected to go with the story.

suicidehummer
Posted (edited)

V is bad because there is so much repetitive garbage. The Mexican song with the beeps is an obvious one, there's that rihanna song only girl in the world, the heartbeat song, so much awful sh*t that makes me want to throw the controller. There's some good too, like Lowdown, but even the rock station is 90% overplayed sh*t (I guess that's realistic though because that is the crap rock stations actually play).

IV was the best because it had so much indie stuff and things I'd never heard before, it turned me on to a LOT of great music. VC I loved at the time because it turned me on to Iron Maiden, but looking back, it was like 90% pop. But still, even the pop back then was at least decent compared to today, and of course it really imbued the game with the unique vibe of the '80s.

Edited by suicidehummer

Ash_735

I think all of you are missing the point of the music. It's always been there to spread a message that alot will never notice. It's all been carefully selected to go with the story.

Literally NOTHING in GTAV's radio was hand picked for the story, it's a scramble of what they had the rights for after years and years of set backs and multiple recording sessions. In fact NONE of the GTA games have music handpicked for the story, Craig Conner confirmed that in an interview that they always set out to draw up a list of songs which captured the "era" of the game in both time and place.

Yinepi
Posted (edited)

The radios are a scrambled mess of inconsistent garbage. It all just feels like a bad mix tape that has no direction and no identity. Like a person just switched between many different stations and hit the record button whenever they heard something that wasn't an advert for fast food and BMW.

After V, Rockstar should change the way they approach the music during development. I, personally, still think they did Radios the best when they wrote most of the music in-house or got little known small-time acts to write music specifically for the game (alas GTA2).

Edited by Yinepi

Hmmm nice bike

The radios are a scrambled mess of inconsistent garbage. It all just feels like a bad mix tape that has no direction and no identity. Like a person just switched between many different stations and hit the record button whenever they heard something that wasn't an advert for fast food and BMW.

After V, Rockstar should change the way they approach the music during development. I, personally, still think they did Radios the best when they wrote most of the music in-house or got little known small-time acts to write music specifically for the game (alas GTA2).

Specifically, a couple of radio stations didn't feel cohesive at all. Non Stop Pop jumps between modern pop, 80s synth pop, and 90s European dance music. It's like a cross between the real-life Kiss FM with VC's Flash FM and SA's SFUR. While there's radio stations in real life that play a mix of 80s, 90s, and 00s pop hits, they don't feel as disjointed as NSP and they completely skip the dance music that you'd never hear outside of an actual dance music station. The songs on LSRR also didn't go as smoothly between each other as the songs on Liberty Rock Radio,. LRR had a nice mix of regular classic rock, a couple of metal tracks, and some soft rock hits, but it felt like they actually thought about what works well with each other and what tracks complement each other, kind of like how real-life radio stations work with programming.

I think they should do what Saints Row 1 did and hire actual people from the radio indsutry (not just Lazlow or whatever leftovers from Opie & Anthony that he brings along) to work on the production of the radio. SR1 had the most authentic-sounding radio stations in a video game, most of the DJs were radio DJs in real life and sounded like it (and it sounded much more natural than anything they got Kenny Loggins or whatever other random celebrity they hired to say), and each station knew what it wanted to be. It wasn't just a mix-up of songs that sounded like somebody hit "shuffle" on a playlist and went with that as a radio station.

Le biatch

Literally NOTHING in GTAV's radio was hand picked for the story, it's a scramble of what they had the rights for after years and years of set backs and multiple recording sessions. In fact NONE of the GTA games have music handpicked for the story, Craig Conner confirmed that in an interview that they always set out to draw up a list of songs which captured the "era" of the game in both time and place.Like I said, not everyone will get the message.

Keano

I like it. There's a lot of good songs there. I enjoy Los Santos Rock Radio because that's my favorite genre. Rebel Radio is awesome, not sure I can compare it to K-Rose but it's a great station. Non-Stop Pop has some good songs but only a few for me such as Hall and Oates, Pet Shop Boys, Slyfox, etc. Not into the modern songs and artists.

There's also a few hidden gems lying around on the stations. Hackman - Forgotten Notes is just great to listen to on Worldwide FM.

Ash_735

Literally NOTHING in GTAV's radio was hand picked for the story, it's a scramble of what they had the rights for after years and years of set backs and multiple recording sessions. In fact NONE of the GTA games have music handpicked for the story, Craig Conner confirmed that in an interview that they always set out to draw up a list of songs which captured the "era" of the game in both time and place.
Like I said, not everyone will get the message.Including people who worked on the game and the music choices apparently :p

TWIST_OF_HATE

GTA V radio stations are nothing to remember, as for me.
No comparison with great songs from RenderWare era.
Belinda Carlisle - Circle in the Sand, Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone, The Chain Gang of 1974 - Sleepwalking - that is literally all great I can remember from V.

Fails in terms of music content, and fails in terms of "GTA games evolution" in general. Sad, but true.

testicle swapper

It's great for it's time period The DJs and talk show hosts are pretty funny.

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

GTA V radio stations are nothing to remember, as for me.

No comparison with great songs from RenderWare era.

Belinda Carlisle - Circle in the Sand, Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone, The Chain Gang of 1974 - Sleepwalking - that is literally all great I can remember from V.

Fails in terms of music content, and fails in terms of "GTA games evolution" in general. Sad, but true.

Those were all pretty memorable, and for me so was "Everything She Wants" by Wham, "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys, and "I'm Free" by Kenny Loggins. Otherwise, I agree, not as many memorable tracks as there were in previous games. I found a lot of the stations (especially VBR and FlyLo FM) to generally have lackluster song choices. LSRR and Non Stop Pop were the only two music stations I really enjoyed, and a bit of Radio Mirror Park. Edited by Hmmm nice bike