1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Journey_95

Should Rockstar make period piece's again?

Journey_95

Satirizing current America is just getting old, GTA V already showed that some jokes were overused.

I really hope that they at least go back to making period piece's after the next GTA (I think Modern Day VC is pretty likely since its the only major city that hasn't gotten that treatment).

Restricting GTA to a modern day setting would be disappointing.

Edited by Journey_95

DOUGL4S1

But that would require effort and research. That's impossible to happen! The only research Rockstar North* does now is click 'Random Page' on GTA Wiki to see which 3D universe car they can overprice in Online!

*I know, RDR2 is set on the past, but that's Rockstar San Diego

Edited by DOUGL4S1

JRC99

I would love a game set in Detroit in 1967- Start out catching a glimpse of the city in its' heyday, and by the end of it, see the riots that are partially the reason the city's so rundown today.

Algonquin Assassin

Honestly I wouldn't have any issues with another modern setting. It only seems fitting for Vice City to get a modern makeover to complete the set of main entry GTA cities in the HD era thus far. If R* were to visit another time period it would have to be the 70s for something fresh IMO. The 70s is so heavily underutilised. Driver: Parallel Lines is the only other open word game with a 70s setting that comes to mind and that was on 6th gen consoles.

So I'd be content with a modern setting, but the 70s would be really cool.

Hmmm nice bike

A period piece set in the 70s, mid-90s, or early to mid-2000s would be pretty cool to see. Though as long as a modern setting is satirized correctly, then that in itself will become a period piece in time. GTA IV feels like a period piece now for a number of reasons. Post-9/11 hysteria throughout the 2000s, the War on Terror, references to the Bush administration (pretty sure the "Jingoism Act" is a direct parody of the real-life Patriot Act), the vehicles and music all being being from 2008 and before, Katt Williams being popular, references to and pariodies of MySpace and eHarmony, and the technology now being outdated (mobile phones and computers that look like they do in this game are a rarity nowadays and internet cafes are a thing of the past). And that's just to name a few!

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Journey_95

A period piece set in the 70s, mid-90s, or early to mid-2000s would be pretty cool to see. Though as long as a modern setting is satirized correctly, then that in itself will become a period piece in time. GTA IV feels like a period piece now for a number of reasons. Post-9/11 hysteria throughout the 2000s, the War on Terror, references to the Bush administration (pretty sure the "Jingoism Act" is a direct parody of the real-life Patriot Act), the vehicles and music all being being from 2008 and before, Katt Williams being popular, references to and pariodies of MySpace and eHarmony, and the technology now being outdated (mobile phones and computers that look like they do in this game are a rarity nowadays and internet cafes are a thing of the past). And that's just to name a few!

True, lets see if the same will be true for GTA V in a few years (so far I wouldn't say it is).

Lock n' Stock

Let's face it, the modern era is overdone in the series at this point. Something about a satirical reimagining of a time long-gone (ala VC and SA) just seems more interesting. I would greatly welcome a GTA game set in a decade or city never done before (like 1970s Chicago), or even a HD Universe-based Vice City or San Fierro for that matter.

Edited by Lock N' Stock

Jack Lupino

Yeah i would love that to happen!

GTAs set in modern world is very boring imo(except III set in 2001).

I want a game set in 1930s like mafia or late 70s.

I dont want ultra modern supercars,cellphones,internet cafes,modern cities etc.

I want old cities and post world war era vintage vehicles.

I want to see telephones as means of communication.

Also i want rockstar to make carricature of historical events(like a satire on cold war between us and ussr or controversy surrounding first moon landing).

Mister Pink

Ah.. I'm confused reading this, Journey. I thought you didn't want another period GTA by your response in my topic about GTA going back to its roots. :D

I've made a topic about this before and I think modern set GTA's are becoming monotonous. Of course, there was a trend of modern set games from 2007 onwards with the likes of Call of Duty Modern series, Saints Row (kind of ) and now Watch Dogs. I think it's time for something unique like Vice City was back in '02. Like 1990's/early 2000's Baltimore (The Wire anyone) or Boston in the 80's or 90's.

I missed the idea of playing GTA III and driving a Sentinel then popping in Vice City and having a much different looking Sentinel. Basically, hopping between two eras gave you a much more diverse set of cars to drive. Since IV, we've been practically been driving the same Infernous for 10 years. Yawn. While a modern day GTA was refreshing in IV and it will be great to play in 20 years time knowing that the game captures the times, I would prefer bouncing between modern and old eras.

Visually, it's fresher. Style of cars, clothes, social norms all vary when you change era. Also Rockstar have the advantage of hindsight when satirizing the past. Trying to do contemporary satire can be a little bit tricky, in my opinion when you don't have the advantage of years of hindsight.

GTA-Biker

In my opinion yes,they definitely should.I'd love to see a GTA game set in the 70s, or 80s or 90s again,maybe even early 2000s.To be honest,I'm sick of modern crap like annoying smug hipsters, slutty starlets and reality shows,there's more than enough of that in real life,so I don't want more of it in video games.

Imagine a GTA set in the 70s.The criminal underworld was quite interesting,the Italian mob was very powerful, there was also an African-American mob in the east coast (Frank Lucas, Nicky Barnes), the Asian gangs in San Francisco had a brutal gang war (the Golden Dragon massacre), it was a golden age of outlaw biker gangs, some well known street gangs had just appeared back then...The civilian life was really cool back then as well,there was a lot of great music, cool cars (in the US mostly muscle cars and older "Yank tanks",but also some classic European and Japanese cars), badass chopper bikes (mostly Harleys,but there were also some choppers with Triumph, Honda and old Indian engines) and some fast import bikes (from British parallel twins like Triumph Bonneville to UJM inline fours like Honda CB750 and Kawasaki Z900 to two strokes like Suzuki GT750)...

DOUGL4S1

The thing about past GTAs is that it not only gives younger people the opportunity to live in an era they weren't alive in, it gives the opportunity for the people that were alive in this era to remember how things were. Vice City gave us a great insight of 80s Miami culture: Nightclubs, Pop songs, fast cars, while in the background we have Cartels and gangs fighting for power, the same with most GTAs set in the past. Games set in current times give away this 'nostalgia' feel, so it breaks the magic a bit.

But an interesting thing about GTAs set in the present is that some are starting to create their own nostalgia feel with time. Take GTA III for example: the only place you'd find a Pager nowadays is in a museum. In GTA IV, Niko's phone is extremelly outdated, Internet Cafes are getting extinct, and people born after 9/11 are starting to play the games, so they'll only get this post-terrorism paranoia in History books and Docummentaries, where in Liberty City they could get a taste of that. So even tho modern-day satire is getting old fast, I'm sure they'll be significant in about 20 years, while GTAs in the past will mostly rely on other media to remain relevant to new audiences, like Scarface, Miami Vice or Godfather.

Edited by DOUGL4S1

Journey_95

Ah.. I'm confused reading this, Journey. I thought you didn't want another period GTA by your response in my topic about GTA going back to its roots. :D

I've made a topic about this before and I think modern set GTA's are becoming monotonous. Of course, there was a trend of modern set games from 2007 onwards with the likes of Call of Duty Modern series, Saints Row (kind of ) and now Watch Dogs. I think it's time for something unique like Vice City was back in '02. Like 1990's/early 2000's Baltimore (The Wire anyone) or Boston in the 80's or 90's.

I missed the idea of playing GTA III and driving a Sentinel then popping in Vice City and having a much different looking Sentinel. Basically, hopping between two eras gave you a much more diverse set of cars to drive. Since IV, we've been practically been driving the same Infernous for 10 years. Yawn. While a modern day GTA was refreshing in IV and it will be great to play in 20 years time knowing that the game captures the times, I would prefer bouncing between modern and old eras.

Visually, it's fresher. Style of cars, clothes, social norms all vary when you change era. Also Rockstar have the advantage of hindsight when satirizing the past. Trying to do contemporary satire can be a little bit tricky, in my opinion when you don't have the advantage of years of hindsight.

Its just that for now I'm fine with them reusing the cities, as long as they do something new after giving each a HD treatment. But I would definitely prefer a game in Las Venturas in the 70's/80's for an example instead of yet another modern day GTA.

Its time to mix up things so the series feels more fresh again.

Mister Pink

But an interesting thing about GTAs set in the present is that some are starting to create their own nostalgia feel with time. Take GTA III for example: the only place you'd find a Pager nowadays is in a museum. In GTA IV, Niko's phone is extremelly outdated, Internet Cafes are getting extinct, and people born after 9/11 are starting to play the games, so they'll only get this post-terrorism paranoia in History books and Docummentaries, where in Liberty City they could get a taste of that. So even tho modern-day satire is getting old fast, I'm sure they'll be significant in about 20 years, while GTAs in the past will mostly rely on other media to remain relevant to new audiences, like Scarface, Miami Vice or Godfather.

Yes, this a something I've spent time thinking of too and I reckon Rockstar knows this. They're sort of leaving a legacy behind, a little time capsule.

@Journey: I'm pretty much the same. Sorry if I went off on a tangent in my other topic then. Anyway, I mean, I won't be disappointed to play a modern Miami. Well, I will a bit because I think it will be a little too predictable but after playing The Crew, Miami seems pretty great to drive around in now. Don't get me started on a 70's/80's Las Vegas that would just be too good.

Edited by Mister Pink

TheOneLibertonian

While I'm not opposed to another modern-day GTA, however I do feel that in order for the series to remain fresh I think that going back to period era's is without a doubt can maintain the series not to feel stagnant. There are so many places in various different era's to explore and recall about. For younger players like myself would want to wander in a world that is very different to the world today. It's really fascinating to look and compare how the progressiveness of society and technology can change the way people live. From the culture, vehicles, music, lifestyle, technology, and etc. It is interesting to reminisce and go back to a time that we can never experience ever again.

GTA has a strong connection with satirizing pop culture and society whether it is set in the past or modern times, it can lead to a very compelling experience for the player to explore a world that feels so different, yet so familiar. But, in order for the series to remain fresh and innovative; it helps that we can go back to places that we have seen before in the past to not just feel nostalgic, but to compare how weirdly different it is back then to our world as we know it during the present day. That way, it can add to the longevity and familiarity of the GTA series.

To clarify, I have no problem seeing another modern GTA. It's really interesting to see Rockstar's take on present-day Miami. It makes sense for Vice City to have an HD-era equivalent and it's better to do a different, more contemporary overhaul than a rehash of 80's Miami. We've been there, done that twice, plus it's easier to invent something that is relevant to the world as we see it today. But for period titles, it's better to go to a place and time that we've never visited before in GTA. 1970's New York is the most fascinating era related to crime within the city. Going back to Liberty City, but with a completely different look that contrasts the modern 21st Century metropolis we see in GTA IV is not just fresh and innovative, but can also tell stories that only can serve that respective era. People these days are really interested into era's of old and often get culture-shocked because it shows a certain period in history that uniquely maintains tropes that are unlike anything outside of it. GTA embodies itself as progressive and innovative, and it is the perfect scapegoat for young people to visit a world vastly different to what they know, and for older people to recollect memories of that era and how nostalgic it could be. I believe that GTA caters to the best of both worlds and it helps us realize how society can shape what we are. Having more period set GTA's adds to that magic that it holds.

dyspoid

I agree with Mr Pink - Las Vegas in the 70s or 80s is probably the most ideal locale and time period.

The crime, the cars and the city would be so beautiful and the story possibilities are endless. I feel like such a setting would bring GTA back to what it used to be.

Shyabang Shyabang

People years from now will lament Rockstar if they don't parody the elephant in the room -TRUMP.

If they go with the past, then 1981 NYC is the way to go:

http://crimefeed.com/2014/12/violent-year-truth-scarier-fiction/

And check out the fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePfBBawcP4

We need a character who resembles her.

Edited by Shyabang Shyabang

Aquamaniac

Yeah i would love that to happen!

GTAs set in modern world is very boring imo(except III set in 2001).

I want a game set in 1930s like mafia or late 70s.

I dont want ultra modern supercars,cellphones,internet cafes,modern cities etc.

I want old cities and post world war era vintage vehicles.

I want to see telephones as means of communication.

Also i want rockstar to make carricature of historical events(like a satire on cold war between us and ussr or controversy surrounding first moon landing).

You might be pretty alone with this, as you say already Mafia plays in this time. While the 30s is an interesting period it does not fit to GTA, do you know the game "The Saboteur", might be interesting for you.

We don't know when GTA VI is released, real cars look more and more futuristic and more electric cars are released, the next GTA should recognize that and have a new generation of new cars (compared to IV and V). A GTA VII could play in the 90s then, I like the 90s.

bmw-i3-production-hits-100000-units-i8-r

jaljax

I'm not really a big fan of the modern day settings in the universe

(Besides Gta IV), but i think Mister Pink's idea of a 1970's setting of Las Vegas/Las Venturas would be very interesting

Lioshenka

Modern setting has been overused in GTAs. The cars are all looking alike, I don't have a car I LOVE in GTA 4 and GTA 5, they are all faceless pieces of plastic (plus the garage system is messed up and complicated, but that's not relevant).

I would love to see the verge of the centuries setting - either 1999/2000 again, my glorious teen years, or 1899/1900 - though they may have to improvise to make up for the lack of cars. I would love something set in a very distant past, but I would still love to have fast cars available easily, unlike in the original Mafia, where they were very rare.

Modern day setting is monotonous. Anything prior to 2000 would be a breath of fresh air.

DOUGL4S1

People years from now will lament Rockstar if they don't parody the elephant in the room -TRUMP.

http://crimefeed.com/2014/12/violent-year-truth-scarier-fiction/

-vid-

And check out the fashion:

-vid-

We need a character who resembles her.

They did parody Trump in GTA III, Donald Love. But as a dirty real state developer, not a politician.

And yeah, late 70s/early 80s Liberty City looks like it would fit perfectly a GTA game. But then again, people will be mad as there are no TRON bikes or railguns.

Mister Pink

Yes, I've watched this 3 or 4 times and the film "A Most Violent Year" to which this short doc accompanied promotion for. Even before this, I really thought Rockstar should have done New York in late 70's and early 80's. San Andreas did the L.A. riots and if it was New York in they could have done infamous

when all the power went out in most of New York and everyone went mad and started looting and stealing.

New York was a cesspool of crime, sex, and creativity at that time. Before the cleaned up, tourist-friendly, the wealthy image it has now it inspired things like Streets of Rage, The Warriors with gangs and street violence. New York had a real reputation as a very criminal place with the corrupt cops of precinct 75 to the gangs of the South Bronx and it's burning buildings, abandoned buildings. Sex laws became laxed and the red light district of Times Square started to thrive. The Mafia still ran a lot of the underground with competing for Russian factions.

Contrast to the doom and gloom depression in the 70's, Disco flourished and it catered to the hedonistic, party-loving crowds as wells a lot of the LGBT crowd. Hip Hop culture was being born; rapping, scratching, graffiti and breakdancing. Breakdancing evolved out of the street-gang scene and united rivals by participating in battles, MC battles and breakdancing battles, between crews instead of warring with physical violence.

I really thought IV was a missed opportunity to capture a real turn in pop-culture history. I really hope next time (if there is one) that Rockstar tackles late-70's, early 80's New York. Also, set the game over the length of time it takes for another GTA to come out. For example, the game starts in 1978 and it takes Rockstar 6 years to make the follow-up GTA. So the game is updated and experiences seasons. Every 3 months, 4 times a year, the game updates. Adverts change, buildings get built and demolished until the last update in 1984. Not just 6 years in-game but 6 literal years. Anyway, I'll make a separate topic about that.

Edited by Mister Pink

∴

I've been hoping for a Grand Theft Auto title set in the 60s and 70s since IV came out, as I didn't originally think we'd see present day again so soon. Those worried that the lack of modern conveniences would be a detriment to the game might not be fans of Red Dead Redemption, which catapults us into the wild west and still proves you can produce a captivating title without technology, or at least modern technology. Instead of mobile/cellular phones, there are pagers and payphones. We could collect intelligence and mission briefings through packages or face-to-face meetings. It would be different, and this scares people, but I think it would work and work well.

The trouble is, GTA:O has spoiled and saturated their audience with technology that not only matches the present day but succeeds it vastly, with futuristic motorcycles and flying cars. It would be difficult and I reckon there would be a severe division in demographics if we suddenly saw a title set in the 1960s or 1970s. I'd welcome it, because it would force a new approach instead of relying on fancy toys to have fun.

GTA-Biker

I've been hoping for a Grand Theft Auto title set in the 60s and 70s since IV came out, as I didn't originally think we'd see present day again so soon. Those worried that the lack of modern conveniences would be a detriment to the game might not be fans of Red Dead Redemption, which catapults us into the wild west and still proves you can produce a captivating title without technology, or at least modern technology. Instead of mobile/cellular phones, there are pagers and payphones. We could collect intelligence and mission briefings through packages or face-to-face meetings. It would be different, and this scares people, but I think it would work and work well.

The trouble is, GTA:O has spoiled and saturated their audience with technology that not only matches the present day but succeeds it vastly, with futuristic motorcycles and flying cars. It would be difficult and I reckon there would be a severe division in demographics if we suddenly saw a title set in the 1960s or 1970s. I'd welcome it, because it would force a new approach instead of relying on fancy toys to have fun.

I agree,I would love to see the 70s in GTA,and I'd be cool with 80s, 90s or even early 2000s again,any of those would be refreshing after having present setting for 10 years.

IMO much of the stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s isn't really that outdated.We even have many cars and bikes from those decades and even older in GTA 5/Online.Weapons wouldn't be much different from what we see today either (revolvers were around as early as the 19th century, Colt M1911 is from 1911, Beretta 92 is from the mid 70s, Glock is from the early 80s, Walther PPK is from early 30s, Uzi is from the 50s, MP5 is from the 60s, Remington 870 shotgun is from the early 50s, SPAS 12 shotgun is from the late 70s, AK47 is from the late 40s, M16 is from the mid 60s, FAMAS is from the late 70s...).

Even for stuff that is outdated today,there could be an old school replacement,for example instead of smartphones there could be phones in safehouses and payphones around the city,and instead of buying cars and motorcycles from the website there could be dealerships or we could simply steal vehicles like in previous GTA games.

∴

I think in a way limitation breeds creativity. It's one thing to have everything at your disposal, but there's satisfaction to be found from making a great product with fewer resources and tools to draw from. I'm not saying it's superior necessarily, but it'd be a welcome change I think. As you said, there's plenty of substitutes and they have a great supply of nostalgia to play with, especially with the romanticisation of the past.

VictorVance1239

V should have had it's own period piece right there in 1980s North Yankton. Could have learned more about that guy who was driving the car and Brad.

AdmiralAmmunation

I'm not sure exactly how everything would work online being that GTA:O is mostly run off of cell phones and such.

However, R* is making RDR 2 Online so they're already figuring out a way to reorganize online for other time periods.

It'd be a really nice change of pace. Don't think they'll do it because they wanna pander to kids to get them playing online.

Because shark card $$$

PaddsterG2k3
Posted (edited)

Great topic :^:.

The idea of a "modern" GTA is subjective. How do we define modern? If GTA VI comes out in 2020 (likely), it would have been 12 years since the setting of IV and 7 since the setting of V - almost a decade from each. Is this still the same "modern" era? Consider then that the difference in time setting from V to VI would be the same as the difference between III and IV (7 years) which is not really viewed as occupying the same setting of time.. Also consider that the difference in time setting between VC and SA is only 6 years yet they appear to be very distinct eras - suddenly the whole argument (in my opinion) of continuing the "modern" theme with VI is almost redundant in the sense that the HD era games don't occupy the same time period at all - it doesn't really offer continuinity in terms of setting as much as people think it does.

As you can probably guess, I'm not keen on a modern setting and don't think the argument for it is strong either. V parodied the current era too much and it felt forced. I feel an early 2000s game is ripe for parody and would provide the current generation of gamers with much nostalgi0 in the same sense that VC did. Imagine again that VI is released in 2020 but set in 2002 - a difference from release to setting of 16 years - which is the same difference as the release of VC and its setting (released in 2002 but set in 1986).

Mid-2000s to me provides a "modernish" setting with large elements of nostaglia and is perfect to me as a period piece.

Period pieces? Its a yes from me.

Edited by PaddsterG2k3

Mister Pink

I remember in early 2000's when The Sopranos was modern. Now over 10 years have passed since the final episode. Now, as you can see the photo below, early 2000's already has this outdated charm to it. Look at those dodgy tracksuits and shirts. Sure, they were naff then but they really look like something now. I agree with Paddster, an early-mid-200's GTA would offer just enough nostalgia but plenty of modernity.

mabgMCox.jpg

If we get an early 2000's GTA, even the fashion remains very baggy and dated looking...This pic is from The Wire..

thewire1carousel.jpg

Not to mention some of the cars we could see...

sopranospaulieeldorado.564.jpg

5a2034d0b11d2.jpg

sopranossilviosls2rear.3600.jpg

PaddsterG2k3

A GTA in the new millenium. Before smart phones and social media but with the explosion of the internet.

Hmmm nice bike
sopranospaulieeldorado.564.jpg

Now that's nostalgia. I remember when one of my teachers back in school drove that car. Like I said in my last post here, early to mid 2000s would be a great setting if Rockstar wanted to do another period piece GTA. You'd still have cellphones and the internet, too, though the phone's capabilities with what it can do in IV and V might have to be replaced with a PDA.

220px-Palm-m505.jpg

The smartphone of 2001. I remember my dad having one of these for work back then, and how impressed I was with this thing as a kid. Definitely outdated now, but it'd have a place in a GTA set in 2001 or 2002.