3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Sea of Thieves. Argh matey!

GTA3Rockstar

Yep, it's quite light on content, and I hope more is coming.

I see it more as a sandbox for piratey adventures. It is definitely more fun with mates, but can be fun soloing too (which I tend to enjoy more, master of my own ship and whatnot). I hope they add some more activities, though, like fishing, gambling, cards etc.

As time passes, since you can't get OP on gear/ships, I also predict the extremely aggressive players to dissipate.

• Like 1

2lzNHds.png

AngryJoe was making a big fuss about the game not being worth the price tag on Twitter so I was wondering what everyone though about that.

I agree to an extent.

Content-wise, I expected a lot more for the entry fee. The missions are samey, the sea is big but could be bigger, there's small variety in enemies, very little marine life, the outposts feel a bit dead with no other npcs around, and there's no other activities to be done.

But it isn't the same as say, No Man's Sky, which people have been comparing it to quite a bit. Rare didn't make any massive promises regarding gameplay and content and whatnot, so we're pretty much getting exactly what they promised.

I'd say if you can get the Games Pass, it's worth it. If you pay the full price, not quite worth it yet. It's still heaps of fun and you'll spend a couple dozen hours in it or so. I'm hoping Rare does stick to their promise of adding more content.

2lzNHds.png

It's very shallow and repetitive as is. The combat is extremely basic and there's no way to level up other than with purely cosmetic upgrades or gaining access to higher tier quests. Large crews will always wreck smaller ones since there's no balancing in play. There's no drop-in MP, so if someone wants to join your crew you have to restart. The world is beautiful but the rewards for exploring are pretty pointless other than getting yourself a skin for your weapons or ships. It plays like a free to paly with very little in the way of significant content. I bought the game pass for ten bucks, so it's not that big a deal for me but if I had paid retail for it I would be pissed.

This article covers the experience pretty well - http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/03/21/opinion-sea-of-thieves-forgot-to-include-a-target-audience.aspx

• Like 2

vstZHDF.gif

RRybEwb.jpg

Oh well at least I have nothing to be jealous about as I don't own the right console for it. I was looking foward to watch some gameplay and stuff though.

Crowbcat made a good video about this game.

The sad thing is, it has a cute art style and a solid foundation under it all, but the content really seems to be lacking. I can't help but wonder if it would have been more logical to release this as a F2P, and build it up along the way.

This is nothing like the NMS fiasco.

its more boring than NMS. SoT was good for a bout 3 hours, afterwards it was so boring and repetitive i couldn't play it anymore. The game needs a story to it or at least some content.

its more boring than NMS. SoT was good for a bout 3 hours, afterwards it was so boring and repetitive i couldn't play it anymore. The game needs a story to it or at least some content.

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy the game. But again, all subjective. Brought a new mic and had the most fun Ive had in the game with randoms.

Yeah, the comparison to NMS is completely unfounded. NMS had a billion promises that turned out to be a lie. Every single feature promised by the dev, was a lie. And the game was pretty damn buggy too.

SoT on the other hand, was very straightforward from the Alpha/Beta. You knew exactly what you were getting into. Rare didn't make any insane promises, and the game was running fairly smoothly from the start, save for the occasional server issue.

• Like 1

2lzNHds.png

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy the game. But again, all subjective. Brought a new mic and had the most fun Ive had in the game with randoms.

IDK maybe its because im older, but this game just feels like its meant only for children even though its not supposed to be.

Edited by feckyerlife

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Apparently, this is the fastest selling new IP for Xbox this generation. Which is a shame. To be honest though, that's not saying much... How many new IP's has Microsoft even had this generation?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sea-of-thieves-is-microsofts-fastest-selling-new-i/1100-6457750/

Now that I've had another go at it it's not bad. I'm playing it for what it is. Just collecting treasure and slowly ranking up. It's actually quite fun. I was on an island solo, found a chest then I heard some cannon fire. A player sunk my ship so I hid my chest. Then I was killed. Spawned away from the island but when I got back my chest was where I'd left it so I was able to complete the 'mission'.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had the most fun playing this game then I have had with any other. Gameplay truly excells when you have a three or four man Galleon crew. But solo or a 2 manned sloop can be a lot of fun as well. The current activities are repititive but with how gorgeous the game is you really cant get bored if you keep cycling around the map, which is fairly large. Future content in terms of AI threats, items, mechanics, ship types, and expanding the map will place this game in the list of all time greats.

• 2 years later...
Themanwiththeplan

Sorry for resurrecting a very old topic. But Sea of Thieves seems to have had a bunch of content updates. It's currently on sale on Steam and I am thinking about purchasing it. Does anyone here play it? If so can you advise me if it is possible to play it single player? Or do you really need some friends to play with? Cheers.  

OPQxo.png

16 hours ago, Themanwiththeplan said:

Sorry for resurrecting a very old topic. But Sea of Thieves seems to have had a bunch of content updates. It's currently on sale on Steam and I am thinking about purchasing it. Does anyone here play it? If so can you advise me if it is possible to play it single player? Or do you really need some friends to play with? Cheers.  

I haven't played this. Although very tempted as it's seems like a very fun game. I'm just not a fan of the cartoon style graphics. 

I did find this video if you haven't watched it all ready. He said soloing is doable but not advised. He offers helpful tips by finding crew on Discord and not the in-game matchmaking option etc. He said the community is really welcoming so, that's a plus. That's if you aren't completely against the idea of teaming up. 

Themanwiththeplan

Thanks man. That video was really helpful! I may give it a go at some stage if it drops to an even lower price, but I think right now, I will give it a miss. I'm more of a solo player at heart. Just wish there was a good single player pirate game out there. My dream would be RDR2 but pirates. Oh how a man can dream!

• Like 1

OPQxo.png

2 minutes ago, Themanwiththeplan said:

Thanks man. That video was really helpful! I may give it a go at some stage if it drops to an even lower price, but I think right now, I will give it a miss. I'm more of a solo player at heart. Just wish there was a good single player pirate game out there. My dream would be RDR2 but pirates. Oh how a man can dream!

You're welcome. Haven't seen you around the forums for a long time :D 

Yeah, I hear you on the solo play. I love co-op but I just don't have a regular schedule enough to play online and have a regular group of people to play with. There is Skull and Bones due to be re-revealed this year. It was originally announced back at E3 '17 but they went back to the drawing board and re-imagined the concept. However, it is a realistic style pirate game spurned on the popularity of Black Flag's pirate themes and functions. 

Also, there's a good Pirate docu-series on Netflix right now. Should watch that too. I'm craving a good pirate game too, like you said, if was RDR2-style with pirates! Yes!

Themanwiththeplan
11 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

You're welcome. Haven't seen you around the forums for a long time :D 

Yeah, I hear you on the solo play. I love co-op but I just don't have a regular schedule enough to play online and have a regular group of people to play with. There is Skull and Bones due to be re-revealed this year. It was originally announced back at E3 '17 but they went back to the drawing board and re-imagined the concept. However, it is a realistic style pirate game spurned on the popularity of Black Flag's pirate themes and functions. 

Also, there's a good Pirate docu-series on Netflix right now. Should watch that too. I'm craving a good pirate game too, like you said, if was RDR2-style with pirates! Yes!

Yeah I don't be on very often these days. Good to see some old timers still around lol. 

Wasn't Skull and Bones originally meant to be a PVP only game? I seriously hope they have changed their minds on that, I mean the pirate genre has so much potential in terms of video games. 

I watched that series, it was very good. I'm kinda obsessed with pirates, have been for years! I even have a full pirate themed sleeve tattoo lol. Black Sails is my favourite TV show of all time, a game set in that universe would be amazing but i highly doubt we would ever see that as the TV show has been over for years and it wasn't that popular. 

OPQxo.png

9 minutes ago, Themanwiththeplan said:

Yeah I don't be on very often these days. Good to see some old timers still around lol. 

Wasn't Skull and Bones originally meant to be a PVP only game? I seriously hope they have changed their minds on that, I mean the pirate genre has so much potential in terms of video games. 

I watched that series, it was very good. I'm kinda obsessed with pirates, have been for years! I even have a full pirate themed sleeve tattoo lol. Black Sails is my favourite TV show of all time, a game set in that universe would be amazing but i highly doubt we would ever see that as the TV show has been over for years and it wasn't that popular. 

There are still a few of us all right. :D 

I've no idea, really. I thin most of the complaints came from the fact that you may have been restricted to only your ship whereas people wanted to be able to land and to roam on the islands too. Not sure if was only PVP. It would be great if it was like Ghost Recon: Wildlands were you could have 3 CPU players with you that you can command if doing raids on islands - that way you could play solo. But when you play online co-op those 3 CPU players can be real players. 

I remember vaguely something about Black Sails. It was a AMC show? Trying not to google it and remember. I'm no big fan of pirates but only recently I've really been enjoying the Pirate theme. I just love those old ships. Going to re-watch Master & Commander again soon.  I'll check out Black Sails. 

Themanwiththeplan
2 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

There are still a few of us all right. :D 

I've no idea, really. I thin most of the complaints came from the fact that you may have been restricted to only your ship whereas people wanted to be able to land and to roam on the islands too. Not sure if was only PVP. It would be great if it was like Ghost Recon: Wildlands were you could have 3 CPU players with you that you can command if doing raids on islands - that way you could play solo. But when you play online co-op those 3 CPU players can be real players. 

I remember vaguely something about Black Sails. It was a AMC show? Trying not to google it and remember. I'm no big fan of pirates but only recently I've really been enjoying the Pirate theme. I just love those old ships. Going to re-watch Master & Commander again soon.  I'll check out Black Sails. 

That's a great idea! Hopefully the AI would be better than Wildlands haha. 

I think it was Starz that made Black Sails, defo check it out and beware of google spoilers because there is a massive twist that you do not expect. You wont regret checking it out.

• Like 1

OPQxo.png

• 5 months later...

Wanted to ask if someone still plays this game.

Bc i just love it and its fascinating how good the grinding in this game is even tough you only can buy cosmetic stuff. I think r* should look at games like this. Where grinding is fun and you see many new things, where "griefing" has a point of doing and was well implemented into the game. An we still just move from point A-B but just the way the map is and the way you need to stear the ship read the map etc. just makes it fun and not boring. 

To this point i only played it with a min. of 1 friend and a max of a 5 men crew so i dont know how much fun it is to play solo.