3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Sea of Thieves. Argh matey!

GTA3Rockstar

This is looking very interesting. On the graphical side, already a home run. I've heard from the beta that it is a tad thin in content, though. So I'll hold off on purchasing it until it's out.

But already got my friends group interested in it.

Yeah, I agree, the visuals are stunning and I'm almost tempted to give it a free pass for being light in the loafers at this point. I was hoping for PS4 support somewhere along the lines because I've wanted to play a good pirate game for ages but it doesn't look likely. The promise of solo play alongside the multiplayer option is a big tick from me too.

Well pre ordered it but getting the it's to early to play error that's plaguing users so I can't get into the beta :(

ok, I'll be the odd one out...

I hate the way it looks.

the graphics are fine but the art direction leaves much to be desired. it's too cartoony and gimmicky for my taste. kind of like Team Fortress if TF was on the ocean. I'd much rather have a realistic pirate RPG. like a direct sequel to AC Black Flag. I've been following the development of Skull and Bones, personally.

• Like 3

Well pre ordered it but getting the it's to early to play error that's plaguing users so I can't get into the beta :(

I had that issue but they fixed it on the first beta day. There's under two days left on the Beta, so hopefully you get on it.

The big question over SoT is content. The gameplay is seriously fun but unless they really are hiding an absolutely massive amount of content away so we're all overawed come launch, there's no where near enough to do for a £40/$60 game, unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree, the visuals are stunning and I'm almost tempted to give it a free pass for being light in the loafers at this point. I was hoping for PS4 support somewhere along the lines because I've wanted to play a good pirate game for ages but it doesn't look likely. The promise of solo play alongside the multiplayer option is a big tick from me too.

It's an MS first party game, developed by Rare, so no PS4 release ever sadly. It does however support cross platform play and parties between Xbox and PC, which is cool. FYI though in case you're confusing solo play with single player - this game is online only. Solo play involves you sailing the one man ship in a multiplayer session.

The big question over SoT is content. The gameplay is seriously fun but unless they really are hiding an absolutely massive amount of content away so we're all overawed come launch, there's no where near enough to do for a £40/$60 game, unfortunately.

It's an MS first party game, developed by Rare, so no PS4 release ever sadly. It does however support cross platform play and parties between Xbox and PC, which is cool. FYI though in case you're confusing solo play with single player - this game is online only. Solo play involves you sailing the one man ship in a multiplayer session.

I was thinking that from playing the beta. If it's just buy a treasure map, get treasure and sell it for gold, repeat. Then that would get quite boring.

Yea, not gonna get this on PS4 anytime soon, but you can wait anyways, since Ubisoft is releasing their pirate game later this year. Skulls and Bones

I was thinking that from playing the beta. If it's just buy a treasure map, get treasure and sell it for gold, repeat. Then that would get quite boring.

The other known mission/voyage types are ferrying cargo, collecting animals and I think there's one more I'm forgetting. There's also at least 3 bosses (Kraken and Skeleton King are two if memory serves) and some type of fort raid I never got the chance to play. There are very few if any long term goals to aim for, a lot of streamers got everything in the beta in a matter of days and from what we know the beta has pretty much all the weapons, as Rare have said they like keeping that side of the game simple.

That said Rare are doing a round of press previews early next month and there's some chatter that they'll answer a lot of concerns in those, but we'll see. I do hope so though.

Well damn finally managed to get on last night and I must say it's damn impressive particularly from a studio that hasn't done much In recent years. To see that rare logo popup at the start brought goosebumps to my arms. It has such a charm to it, just being in the world feels very natural and wounderous just sailing the sea is enjoyable and the random player battles that happen are bloody awesome. Seeing that enemy vessel approaching in the distance on the skyline with every crew member prepairig for the enivetable engagement only to eventually see the enemy ship disappear under the waves after a 4 cannon barrage of cannonballs is truly exciting.

I cannot wait for this to come out It really is the best pirate game that I've ever played blackwake has nothing on this. I can see myself syncing alot of hours into this game wow just wow.

• Like 2

I love the cooperation this game requires. Been having a blast with friends. The boat mechanics mimic an actual sail boat, and you need to communicate to get anywhere without sinking the ship. Truly a fantastic game.

• Like 2

My roommate loved this game. I have Windows 10 on my PC and he doesn't. So he made me to give him play my PC for a while.
He gave me his PC, so i played a bit of Rainbow 6 and Portal 2. Coolstory.

ok, I'll be the odd one out...

I hate the way it looks.

the graphics are fine but the art direction leaves much to be desired. it's too cartoony and gimmicky for my taste. kind of like Team Fortress if TF was on the ocean. I'd much rather have a realistic pirate RPG. like a direct sequel to AC Black Flag. I've been following the development of Skull and Bones, personally.

cartoonish game doesn't mean bad. we all know Monkey island. Skulls and bones looks gorgeous graphically, but from what i read, it's a PvP game only. and personnally since GTAO i have spots coming out each time i hear PVP, you know. the dream game for me is an ACO like, with all the caribbean mapped. why there is still no such game released is still one of the biggest mystery in video games industry to me. a couple of enthousiasts tried to make a free game called hearts of oak once. but the game development is more or less abandonned. all the devs have side jobs, and it seems the project was a bit too ambitious

Edited by jpm1

I'm just bummed the beta is over thought I had till 8pm gmt:(

Well from what I saw I was very impressed it felt very new and fresh concept. I can see how people are saying that it could get boring but I'm sure with the additional jobs on full release they will add to the overall variety of missions and give you some more things todo. I assume they will be supporting the game after release with new content to and I think they've a very solid basis for a new IP. Considering I joined a team of randomers and I wasn't talking I didn't come across any cancer i got put in the brig once for it though but thats understandable. Team play seemed very solid and i really felt like part of the crew so can just imagine what it would be like playing with friends. I wanted to try out the singleplayer experience 1 man boat the evening it went down so I can't really comment on that side of things but I reckon it would be just as fun running your own boat but I've a feeling that trading would be a better course of action when playing alone.

For me it's a day one but I highly recommend picking it up even if you wait until it's in some sort of sail..... ;)

I came away from my session bouncing like I had just played banjo kazzoie for the first time and felt like I was 12 again haven't been this excited for a game in ages.

Edit:

Well Its confirmed about extra content.

233aN3u.jpg

Edited by OysterBarron

• 1 month later...

Im currently playing it. Sunk a galleon solo today! Felt really good.

Didnt even see this coming. How does it compare to Blackwake? Looks very similar though with a lot more features by the looks of it.

Blackwake has bigger ships, and more people per ship I believe. Focus of both games is quite different as well.

I have been playing solo so far, on my little sloop. Have seen a galleon in the distance, and stood out of its way. Now on rep 10 with the gold hoarder people. Game can get repetitive, but sailing is really good. As a one man team, I've adjusted to managing the sloop on my own.

Plus this game is simply gorgeous!

S8hrvIf.jpg

• Like 2

Bah! This is just GTA Import Export and CEO work on boats. Had three chests and saw a big ship getting closer as I loaded the last chest. Tried to run but beached myself. Then tried in vain to get away. This game is a griefer's paradise.

I want to join random crews but don't want to get brigged so I'm playing solo.

Sloop can outrun a Galleon when facing the wind. You had the chance to get away.

Turn the wheel hard Port or starboard while your sails are halfway up, and fire at their waterline.

Its difficult playing alone but its doable. Best chance is to always run away.

As someone who has been following since release I can't say the game has met my expectations thus far. There is potential there but remains to be seen if the post-release direction and content will actually tickle my fancy enough to plunder my bank account.

@Tchuck: Both games have the same size ship in terms of largest (Galleon) but Blackwake's is 13 players vs SoT's 4. That said, I think Blackwake is honestly more of a contained experience (lots of pvp gamemodes, for example) which isn't really appealing, at least for me (compared to SoT, which is). I haven't checked in out for a while though, so grain of salt.

• Like 2

I figured I'd give it a fair shake since it is on gamepass. I wasn't impressed during the various betas.

Playing solo using a sloop. I've done some initial voyages but nothing exciting enough to keep me intrigued.

What am I missing?

Yes, the water is beautiful.

This is a game where probably 99% of the enjoyment is when youre playing with friends.

Until I get a new mic I will continue to play alone. Meet a poor guy digging everywhere on an island looking for treasure, I was unable to help him because I had no mic yet he did. The ingame chat is neat but its a a lot of scrolling throughout to find the right text you want to say.

I probably wont buy the game after my trail of gamepass expires because of the lack of content for $60, but I have very much enjoyed what Im currently playing now.

Hopefully I can get a chance and fight the Kraken!

Edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx

The hype was high and I don't think the beta helped it any. It persuaded me from buying it, tbh.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Besides each crew having their own emblem, do they also have different clothes, hand weapons, phrases and personalities? If not, i came up with an idea to make a game called Legit Piracy. Main focus would be diversity, variety and originality of each crew. You should check out this my idea on The Wicked group, link in my signature below :p

Edited by GrudgefromSanAndreas