1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

NumberNineLarge

Which protagonist would make the best antagonist?

Failure

Johnny. A badass biker who controls a sizeable meth empire with badass friends, and had Rockstar to mess it up badly.

Other than Johnny, it would probably be Michael, who is the GTA series' closest to a sociopath we've ever got and Trevor, an insane psycho. Luis and Claude would only be good in being Bond-esque evil henchmen. Victor just dies a year after he becomes bad, and Niko has left the life of crime. CJ's completely out of the question. Tommy would be a good antagonist, but I'd rather have be something similar to Vito Corleone.

Tao Cheng

It would be cool if a protagonist is one of the sons of Wei Cheng in retribution against the antagonist kingpin Franklin Clinton.

DeezyGaming

Trevor and Tommy in my opinion. Both are crazy as hell

JuliusCaesar
Posted (edited)

I was gonna argue against the Trevor people, but since every GTA protagonist except him is basically a yes-man and glorified Ron the entire game until each climax in the story where they finally wipe out somebody in their way or doing them wrong, he's actually kind of perfect to use as an antagonist. He and ron are sort of like the boss and protagonist in GTA games lol.

It would have been cool to see ron stand up to trevor and get respect from him by the end, but it also would mean trevor would have to kill him or else he wouldn't be trevor, so I'm glad he didn't.

That said, playing as a character through a story that builds up to eventually working for, getting f*cked by royally and unexpectedly so coldly, and then killing Tommy Vercetti scarface style on another raid on his mansion in 1988 or something would be awesome. You could start out and work your way through until you end up taking him out. Then you could wipe out some more people in the city and own it and it can be a vice city again with actual reward and feeling like the king of the city after a gta again. But obviously and hopefully much much more fun, detailed, and activity filled than ever before, all old, plus that much new added.

Edited by JuliusCaesar

meson1

It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? Simply by taking someone else's point of view, most of our GTA protags could probably be made to appear as though they are the bad guy. I mean; they're all criminals for a start.

That said. Some would be a much better 'fit' than others. Probably those that finish the game with empires.

For me the strongest case could be argued to have Tommy Vercetti as an antagonist in a sequel to GTA:VC, with a new protag that fights to bring down Tommy Vercetti's empire in order to replace it with his own.

Debpiyas

Definitely Trevor and Niko suit to be antagonist, Tommy cannot be chosen as a antagonist at all! He suits a protagonist according to his intelligence, looks and agility.

Typhus

They seemed to try and make Franklin an antagonist, considering whoever he kills results in other characters disowning him and calling him a heartless monster. But the problem with that is that he isn't, and when he does betray either Michael or Trevor, it's not in a callous way, he just makes chickensh*t excuses for why he's doing it. I maintain that he should have been a far more brutal character, so those endings would make more sense and feel more understandable.

But with that in mind, I'd have to go with Niko. He's not a crime boss, but he is an assassin, and I could easily see him coming back again and again to kill the player. Also, ignoring Toni's domestic terrorism, Niko has done the worst stuff in the series. War atrocities and taking part in the human slave trade are f*cking monstrous. The fact that he feels bad about it doesn't change the fact that he's done truly evil things.

VictorVance1239

Definitely Trevor and Niko suit to be antagonist, Tommy cannot be chosen as a antagonist at all! He suits a protagonist according to his intelligence, looks and agility.

How would Niko work as a antagonist? All he wanted was a regular life.

meson1
Posted (edited)

Agreed. Certain characters do not lend themselves to being antagonistic at all. They would need some trait, such as greed or ambition to be driving them. Nico, despite his extensive criminal record, was motivated by wanting to get out of the trouble he was in and severing ties with those that want to keep a hold on him.

Edited by meson1

VictorVance1239

Agreed. Certain characters do not lend themselves to being antagonistic at all. They would need some trait, such as greed or ambition to be driving them. Nico, despite his extensive criminal record, was motivated by wanting to get out of the trouble he was in and severing ties with those that want to keep a hold on him.

Only thing I can think of is if he just snaps at some point after the events of Iv, and it really depends on which direction of the story they'd use as cannon between Roman or Kate dying.

Yinepi
Posted (edited)

The whole reason Niko did those things was because he was greedy. Not financially greedy, but morally greedy. He let revenge consume his actions and his thoughts to the point where even his own family and friends suffered because of it. He only came to Liberty because he heard Florian was there and wanted revenge, as he openly expressed after killing Vlad, and used his cousin as an excuse to do so. His cousin suffered emotionally and financially and even physically due to Niko's actions and moral greed. As did Kate. As did Packie. As did Dwayne.

Niko may have wanted to get out of trouble and redeem his honour, but he was hardly a man of nobility.

Edited by Yinepi

VictorVance1239

The whole reason Niko did those things was because he was greedy. Not financially greedy, but morally greedy. He let revenge consume his actions and his thoughts to the point where even his own family and friends suffered because of it. He only came to Liberty because he heard Florian was there and wanted revenge, as he openly expressed after killing Vlad, and used his cousin as an excuse to do so. His cousin suffered emotionally and financially and even physically due to Niko's actions and moral greed. As did Kate. As did Packie. As did Dwayne.

Niko may have wanted to get out of trouble and redeem his honour, but he was hardly a man of nobility.

He also came for the american dream. I think it would be different if Roman actually had all the things he wrote to Niko about in those letters but then it wouldn't be gta cause there'd be no reason to turn to crime ha.

Debpiyas

How would Niko work as a antagonist? All he wanted was a regular life. I know but actually he is usually drunk(which I hate) like Diaz in GTA vc, and if it goes somewhat like he mistakens someone as his foe while he is drunk...

I agree, Tommy does crime as situations lead him, but Niko is really greedy(which also I hate).

Crossbones

Johnny would have made a great antagonist, better than all of the V's antagonists combined. But they messed with him real bad. Anyways, I think Trevor would make a good antagonist. And in 3D era, Tommy and Toni would make great antagonist. 

JoeyLeone21

Toni Cipriani would be the perfect antagonist. But I'm wondering about Victor Vance... What if it was Pete Vance that got killed in the beginning of VC, and Victor goes apesh*t on the whole town when realizing his two brothers are history?

iiCriminnaaL 49

Tommy would fit for such a role, since he's a badass empire boss who goes after taking over and gaining money.

Johnny could've been a great antagonist too, but R* just wasted his character and used Cheng as Trevor's antagonist in GTA V.

Trevor surely fits too, as well.

TheSantader25

Claude

Tommy

Trevor

Evilbagelninja

CJ and Franklin

CHARMANDER50

1. CJ 

2. VIC VANCE 

3. Tony Gay Prince

4. Luis Lopez

5. Trevor Philipps

6. Niko Bellic

Beato_dim

Tommy Vercetti as a main antagonist - he's gonna be an old mob boss.

Trevor doesn't really work for me as the primary antagonist, he's too chaotic for that. Also, really tough to kill. But as a recurring minor villain - that's a completely different thing.

Claude really only works as a henchman, I don't see him as a leading man.

CJ is too nice to be straight-up antagonist. Ditto for Franklin. And Michael is kind of retired.

A lot of words have already been said about Niko, so I'll leave that matter. Personally, I think he retires from crime and lives a peaceful, even if joyless, life.

ThatKyloRenGuy

Trevor kinda already is an antagonist of his own game as I’ve said in another thread so I’m just gonna go with the 3D era.

Tommy Vercetti, considering he’s an Italian mobster and the fact that Niko, Johnny, and Luis all fought Italian mobsters in their own games. I could see him currently acting like a Jimmy Pegorino type of antagonist.