Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,081 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
NumberNineLarge

Which protagonist would make the best antagonist?

NumberNineLarge

If somehow a past protagonist, be it in the 3D or HD Universe came back as the main antagonist in a future GTA game, who would best be able to pull it off, and why?

Shadowfennekin

Trevor Phillips

He's dangerous and unpredictable

I'd laugh my f*cking ass off if they tried making Franklin a bad guy, I couldn't take it seriously. Michael and Niko wouldn't work. And Luis is Luis....

Algonquin Assassin

Trevor: He’s already one of the most disliked protagonists anyway so it’d be the perfect role.

I couldn’t take CJ seriously at all. I’d just break out in laughter. Niko’s left his life of crime so it wouldn’t make much sense. Tommy would be too old, Luis....maybe.

ArmyRaidFail404

None of the characters really fit the antagonist archetype. The only one that makes a little bit of sense is Tommy Vercetti (assuming that the next GTA takes place in the 80's or 90's). Maybe Trevor, but what would be his motivation? Does he find out that you were the specific biker who broke his Impotent Rage statue?

​Luis and CJ are a bit silly to have as an antagonist. Depending on the time, Johnny may or may not be dead. Huang never was a memorable character to begin with. As Algonquin Assassin said "Niko left his life of crime." Michael would be a dumb antagonist since he left the life of crime (unofficially). Vic Vance is dead by the time of Vice City. Toni Cipriani might fit though.

Edited by ArmyRaidFail404

NumberNineLarge

I honestly would go for Tommy, as he probably makes the most sense with his empire.

MARKUS.

Claude Speed. He's just... speechless

Femme Fatale

Trevor, 'nuff said. And probably Toni & Tommy, since they're mafia dons. Think of it this way, Sal was a villain in III, but a "good guy" in LCS.

Mr_Rager

Toni was pretty f*cking brutal. I could see him, someone who's not a leader, getting pissed off and leading by force and intimidation. He even has that classic antagonistic moral conflict. He will go murder someone with kids and then get mad about someone disrespecting their mother.

DOUGL4S1

Nobody remembers Mike...

Gtaman_92

Trevor and Tommy.

Sleepwalking

Trevor, too bad his status is

depends on player choice that he is dead or not.

He would be a great secondary antagonist in new gta.

Edited by Sleepwalking

Zello

Tommy, Trevor, and Toni

Edited by Zello

Am Shaegar

Easily, Niko Bellic. Not only because he has a past full of the most terrible crimes that no other protagonists have done, but also his hot tempered personality, pessimistic nature, and a very creepy looking man who doesn't feel like a "perfect fit" for the role of a protagonist, more than the role of an "antagonist". He's the kind of guy that makes me hate him more than feeling any sympathy for people like him.

Yinepi

Interesting take on Niko.

I can actually honestly see Niko as an antagonist. He has too much personal conflict and half of the time doesn't even seem to know who his enemy actually is (it's himself). He has always been a weak yes-man but pretends not to be because it makes him feel less worthless and gives him a moral boost.

Edited by Yinepi

Mr_Rager

Niko's back story is the reason why he wouldn't make a good antagonist. What's he going bad for? Money? He wouldn't do exactly what Darko did, betraying his group for $1000. He confronted evil, with seeing kids being massacred, he's too against antagonistic traits to adopt them. Besides, Niko gets burnt out by the end of the game. He has no passion for killing, unless it's a revenge situation.

I never saw Niko as someone with a bad temper. It's only when they f*ck with his family or him directly. f*ck, he was probably on the verge of letting Dimitri get away with not paying him, it was burning Roman's house and cab depot that made him angry enough to kill. You could even argue that he doesn't snap until Roman gets kidnapped.

Even when Niko confronts Darko, and Darko draws some parallels between the two, he's disgusted, and knows he wouldn't kill his friends for money. By that time in the game Niko is getting tired of killing. Can't imagine he'd last long as an antagonist, killing innocent people and betraying friends.

Edited by Mr_Rager

Mr_Rager

Maybe I could see it if he was in his hometown, and became the enemy he fought in the war, but he's in America, just trying to surivive, I don't see a path for Niko to be an antagonist. He wouldn't be a gang leader or mob boss. Politics are out of the question. Maybe as a rogue hitman out to kill everyone? But for what? He just got off the boat lmao.

Am Shaegar

Niko himself admits to the past I'm talking about in his own words that goes like, "...sold people, murdered people", but things weren't that different, as eventually Niko ends up getting into the troubles due to his bad "temper" as pointed out by Roman, "..told you to be calm you hot headed chump!"

It's a big list of issues that I find Niko flip flopping around each time I try to sympathize with him. I can understand what he's gone through, but I just don't get the impression that he's seriously interested in leaving the crimes and the past behind. I don't know why but I always get the sense that he's pretty much used to doing crimes, and that's what drives him more than realizing the consequences it'll have. Pretty much what Yinepi pointed out.

I never thought he's a good protagonist material but fitting for the kind of characteristic that is suitable to people like Dimitri. Both characters seem almost identical in nature. Niko could become the Dimitri of the next GTA.

Mr_Rager

Did we play different games? By the time Niko kills Boccino, he's on the phone with Roman talking about how he can't keep going on like this, he sounded mentally exhausted. Imagine how quickly his soul would drain out of him if he was in Dimitri's position.

And of course he's got a temper compared to Roman "lock myself in a trunk across town" Bellic.

Ben the busta

If next GTA would take place in 90s definitely Tommy,but since that would be little bit boring(cars,culture,clothes etc..) then i would go for Claude,he didn't show much in GTA3 i think he would be perfect villain ,the silent boss. :)

ArmyRaidFail404

Niko himself admits to the past I'm talking about in his own words that goes like, "...sold people, murdered people", but things weren't that different, as eventually Niko ends up getting into the troubles due to his bad "temper" as pointed out by Roman, "..told you to be calm you hot headed chump!"

It's a big list of issues that I find Niko flip flopping around each time I try to sympathize with him. I can understand what he's gone through, but I just don't get the impression that he's seriously interested in leaving the crimes and the past behind. I don't know why but I always get the sense that he's pretty much used to doing crimes, and that's what drives him more than realizing the consequences it'll have. Pretty much what Yinepi pointed out.

I never thought he's a good protagonist material but fitting for the kind of characteristic that is suitable to people like Dimitri. Both characters seem almost identical in nature. Niko could become the Dimitri of the next GTA.

Niko doesn't really have that bad of a temper. More so, him killing Vlad was merely in retaliation for violating his moral code (for lack of a better phrase - Vlad f*cked with his family).

​And Niko does make an effort throughout the game to try and leave his past behind. Trying to seek closure from Darko was half the plot, and was literally the only reason why Niko even worked for the Pegorino family in the first place. It just happens to be circumstantial that he's going around committing crimes for these people, which if you didn't know sparks a huge moral dilemma in Niko. This is best seen if you kill Dwayne, as Niko has quite a lot of remorse for the act.

I agree that Niko and Dimitri have similar characteristics; it's what makes it such a strong rivalry in the first place. Niko and Dimitri: pessimists stuck in a world full of optimists, troubled by the things they did in the past. The only difference between them is that while Niko wants things to change, Dimitri has realised that things can't.

Am Shaegar

Of course, at certain point in the story, these killings had to stop. If the confrontation with Darko did not do much to his conscience in stopping him from dealing in deaths, then this conscience call to him after killing Boccino doesn't appeal to me.

Dimitri was not really running the show. It's Bulgarin who was pulling the strings. I don't know about the "soul" thing, but regardless of the endings, Niko has that backstabbing personality, like he did in case of Boccino, and the will to murder anyone that offers him money. Those two are the foundation stones for any person in order to further his power, greed, and influence. The fact, that he's already lost his cousin (as considered cannon by many), leaves him nothing to fall back on to leave the criminal past behind, even his girlfriend calls him out his bullsh*t, for dealing and flip flopping his own principles. It was again all because of the money that could make him deal with Dimitri, despite all the talks of killing him.

I don't know, Niko seems perfect for the role of an antagonist, who has literally no morals, or beliefs of his own.

Ben the busta

If next GTA would take place in 90s definitely Tommy,but since that would be little bit boring(cars,culture,clothes etc..) then i would go for Claude,he didn't show much in GTA3 i think he would be perfect villain ,the silent boss. :)

ArmyRaidFail404

The fact, that he's already lost his cousin (as considered cannon by many)

If I may, who considers the Deal ending canon? It fits Niko's motives better that he jump on the chance to take down Dimitri. Even if Darko did influence his choices, Niko still identified Dimitri as a sworn enemy, and in Niko's mind he needed to go. The only reason why he wasn't killed sooner is because Niko didn't know where Dimitri was.

Am Shaegar

Either way, Dimitri is getting killed. I was talking about losing his cousin that will have a bearing on him, given the topic in question. I am talking about the possibility of him becoming an antagonist, if it's no longer about taking vengeance.

Prasdana21

Tommy, Toni, and Trevor could make great antagonists just like everybody said.

If we have Triads as Enemies again, Huang Lee could be a great threat too.

I think Franklin could be an antagonist during a Chase scene. You know, like The new Protagonist and Trevor has a fight and then our New Protagonist decides to escape with a car. Trevor could ask Franklin to drive the car in order to chase our new Protagonist due to Trevor knowing how great Franklin's Driving Skills is. We could witness who's the better driver between Franklin and the new Protagonist as well. As a direct Antagonist though, I doubt Franklin would fit for the role.

Luis could be an "Antagonist" if Our Protagonist has a task to kill Gay Tony and/or Yusuf Amir. Naturally, Luis will protect them. I don't want it happened though :/

Tycek

From 3D era, I guess Tommy and Toni would be the most suitable for the role of antagonist, since both of them became bosses of powerful gangs eventually.

Tommy was keeping whole Vice City in hand, after the game, so any potential power shift would get noticed very likely. Toni very likely replaced Sal as a head of Leones, since Joey didn't exactly fit the role and again could be an antagonist if players would fight with his mafia.

There are not many characters that could fit the role of the antagonist in HD era however. I guess Johnny Klebitz got the right attitude, but since R* decided to use him for cheap shock, he's out of the picture. Niko very likely left the life of crime after all and Luis was more of order taker not giver, so he wouldn't be a good boss.

I can see Huang Lee, older and wiser as a head of triad organisation in Liberty City, since all opposition was gone, but we very likely won't see him again, due to his appearance (comic book like).

Trevor and Michael are already antagonists of their game, so there's not much space for speculations

Edited by Tycek

Racecarlock

Well, using a bit of fanfiction timef*ckery, I'd have Tommy as a big mafia leader, but with claude speed returning as his special right hand hitman because of his reputation of being able to get just about any job done and his willingness to do so for any sort of monetary gain. Tommy keeps the cash flowing to Claude, so as a result you have to get in a crazy unscripted chase across the city with claude being able to use every weapon you can, and steal any car. Both of you would have a wanted level as well, so cops would be thrown into this crazy mix.

So, let's say you defeat claude. This pisses Tommy off, naturally, so he and a big procession of goons come after you. And you're in trouble, because tommy can also use any weapon and steal any car. But he's also got goons and weapons and car deliveries he can call in for backup, so you in whatever sh*t you're driving have to outrun tommy while he's in an infernus or a tank or some sh*t, and it's this crazy citywide chase once again, and the cops are still active, and oh f*ck, now the goons also have multiple weapon slots and can steal cars.

Disregarding timelines and history and all that sh*t, you can't deny that would be amazing if those were the last two missions.

MichaelMiller53

Either Trevor or Toni. I'm really interested to see if they take our suggestions! Tommy would be great too.

AdmiralAmmunation

Trevor if we're talking HD Universe only.

If they bring people back from the 3D Universe protag-wise, Tommy or Toni fit in well too.

VictorVance1239

Claude could be pretty badass and funny at the same time as the villian. Imagine if Rockstar had him show up and break the 4th wall going on about why he chose not to speak the last 2 times we saw him, how he didn't give a damn and how he's going to be the one to take us down.

Make the final fight with him extremely challenging and you may have something.

Edited by VictorVance1239