4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Mister Pinkerton

Academy Awards 2018 Discussion

Craigsters

Amount of dialogue doesn't factor as a prerequisite for what's eligible to be nominated. Hence 2011's best picture winner, The Artist. A silent movie.

There are some years in the film industry that there are full of crappy film's and it may of been a slow year or bad year for film's, sometime's all find better film's from foreign country's to watch then what Hollywood or America dishes out!..

This film Naked (1993) with David Thewlis should of gotten more attention from AMPAS and gotten him a Oscar for his performance, one of the best films I ever seen

Edited by Craigsters

Leftist Bastard

Blade Runner 2049 should have been nominated for best picture.

There was little or no dialog in Blade Runner 2049, the group AMPAS makes the decision's on what to nominate and pictures with lots of conversation and stupid dialog usually win like La La Land which I'll never watch, and is in my steel magnolias and The Twilight Saga franchise of crap to never watch list!..

So let me get this straight: you effectively think that La La Land is terrible despite having not watched it? where do you get off on making that judgement on something you haven't seen or experienced?

You are effectively biased against something you may very well end up enjoying. It makes very little sense - La La Land was an honest to god great movie.

Craigsters

Blade Runner 2049 should have been nominated for best picture.

There was little or no dialog in Blade Runner 2049, the group AMPAS makes the decision's on what to nominate and pictures with lots of conversation and stupid dialog usually win like La La Land which I'll never watch, and is in my steel magnolias and The Twilight Saga franchise of crap to never watch list!..

So let me get this straight: you effectively think that La La Land is terrible despite having not watched it? where do you get off on making that judgement on something you haven't seen or experienced?

You are effectively biased against something you may very well end up enjoying. It makes very little sense - La La Land was an honest to god great movie.

It just screams and reminds me of Singin' in the Rain (1952) with Gene Kelly

film's like La La Land are just borrowing and riding on the coat tail's of your parent's film's of there genre and have no new content to offer, they are tail gator type films to me, and I rather watch Singin' in the Rain or the sound of music or the original pete's dragon or even Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder any day over it!..

Edited by Craigsters

Dacelo

Just because musicals existed in the past doesn't mean ones made today are automatically 'trying to ride on the coat-tails of past films' lmao. La La Land is a legitimately really good movie.

Plus the aforementioned BR 2049 is a direct sequel to a 35 year old film so...?

GOOD TIME WAS SNUBBED

It should have at least got a soundtrack nomination but I guess that's the price you pay for being indie

Edited by Dacelo

Mister Pinkerton

Leftist B makes a good point of why Dunkirk might be considered a good film with the "show, don't tell" point. Having thought about why I didn't find Dunkirk particularly great, I think it's for that reason. There's a sort of dissonance between the audience the characters. I never got invested in any character in that film and in that respect, I think it lacked "heart" or character. There's not much of a story, really. It's more of a cinematic document of a big event. And not just a cinematic document of such an event but one aimed at perhaps an older audience.

Maybe if I was British I would have some deeper connected feeling to film. But as an observer, an outsider, I just don't find it compelling enough. Technically, it's a good film and some films might be more respected on a technical level but can lack a bit on an entertainment level. As a sort of message or expression of the human condition and how we come together in times of need, it's interesting but I don't see how the film in the current state couldn't support a more fleshed out, a character-driven story within the context of the events of Dunkirk. And not just the events at Dunkirk.

Edited by Mister Pink

JaberDoe

@Mister Pink - I agree for the most part. Dunkirk is a very experimental film. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

I, for one, loved it a whole lot. Although I haven't felt connected to any characters, I was connected to the experience. I was so engrossed!

However, I don't think it'll get Best Picture.

That'll probably go to The Shape of Water/3 Billboards (safe options) or Call Me By Your Name/Lady Bird for the social aspect as they have done in the past. Honestly, I'd be horrified if they gave it to give Get Out. How it even got a nomination in that category I have no idea.

@Craigsters - Dude, La La Land was an amazing film. Not just from a story standpoint, but even on a production level.

Mister Pinkerton

@Mister Pink - I agree for the most part. Dunkirk is a very experimental film. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

I, for one, loved it a whole lot. Although I haven't felt connected to any characters, I was connected to the experience. I was so engrossed!

I totally respect that. Unfortunately, I couldn't feel it but I'm really with people that do. The first thing I'll try do is "blame" myself before I "blame" the film if I find I'm not connecting with a film on a level others do, especially when I can't really find much fault with it. As you said, you were connected to the experience and that's a valuable asset and credit to the film. I could only try rationalize why I didn't connect with it. :)

Edited by Mister Pink

JaberDoe

^I know what you mean. There have been lots of films where people felt something which I was in no way able to.

Funny how things work!

Back on the subject of the Academy Awards:

Anyone felt like the director nomination for Get Out was completely ridiculous?

I, personally, can't see how the directing is special/different at all! Why did it get it?

Edited by JaberDoe

Mister Pinkerton

Yeah, Get Out is a great film but I don't even know how you measure directing. I guess it's bringing the best out of your actors as well as making sure everything is in order, lighting, DP, on the days of photography. But you have excellent people doing the cinematography, actors doing their job well, sound guys doing excellent sound, sometimes I wonder how much of it is a good director and how much of it is excellent crew.

At least Get Out is written and directed by Jordan Peele. So, the film is his vision and I suppose the film was conceived by him and completed by him at the helm, all the way.

JaberDoe

For his first solo movie, sure, it's pretty good. I just don't see how that can be on the same list as Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, Lady Bird or Three Billboards.

Admittedly, I have not yet seen the other nominees besides Dunkirk and Get Out, but it still feels oddly out of place.

Leftist Bastard

Best Director tends to be Best Picture runner up and/or the Best Picture with a certain attention being given to the vision behind the film and how well brought together/consistent it is. You can have good sound design or good special effects or good performances but having a vision to bring everything together is what constitutes good directing.

JaberDoe

In that way, Get Out does check that box. Peele did seem to achieve what he set out to do properly. :monocle:

Guess I'm thinking at it from a different angle. I normally think when a director has properly done a film that was clearly challenging to make, or when the way the film is directed connects you to the story being told (ala the close-ups in Moonlight), then it should get recognition.

Considering what you said, about how bringing it all together constitutes good directing, then yeah, Get Out seemed to have got that right.

Richard Power Colt

Just wanna point out that the Boss Baby got nominated for an Oscar. Well I guess there weren't a lot of animated films to pick from, but still.

JaberDoe

Yeah, after looking at the animated films released this year, doesn't seem like they had much leg room. (Maybe "Mary and the Witches Flower"?)

Does that mean they would nominate something, even if it doesn't deserve it, just to fill in the blanks?

What does that say about Best Picture category or any category for that matter?

PhoGarrett

Best Animated Film is essentially "Best Pixar Movie Made Within The Last Year".

Dacelo

So happy to see Roger Deakins finally got his oscar.

Is this The Guy?

Yes! Gary you remarkable slut you finally won one

Raavi

Not a fan of the best picture pick once again. Same last year with Moonlight. This is becoming a trend.

Great to see Frances Mcdormand get best actress, and Sam Rockwell taking home best supporting actor though.

Typhus

The atmosphere of martyrdom and self-congratulation at this years Oscars was vaguely nauseating.

Leftist Bastard

Shape of Water deserved it but Nolan should have taken best director.

Mr. Scratch

About time Rockwell got some recognition for his work, he should've won an Oscar a long time ago for Moon.

Leftist Bastard

Somewhat gutted that Dafoe didn't get it but it was a close race and Rockwell really did deserve it.

JaberDoe

Anyone else surprised Get Out got best screenplay?

I haven't seen all the nominees, but I watched Three Billboards and that itself seemed like masterstroke in writing.

Thoughts?

Leftist Bastard

Get Out deserved some form of recognition. As a screenplay it is incredibly original and very astute at delivering complicated social issues through a B-grade horror movie.

DareYokel

So glad that Gary Oldman and Sam Rockwell won.

Jimmy

Frances Mcdormand, Alison Janney, and Sam Rockwell had the most deserving awards IMO. The Best Actor (Gary Oldman) and Best Picture were a bit unexpected for me at least.

darthYENIK

They left out some gigantic names in the in memoriam.

But to not include Tobe Hooper is f*cking low. Texas Chainsaw Massacre might not be high brow cinema, but its impact and legacy in film can be felt all the way up to this years best original screenplay winner.

By the way, this tweet was amazing... https://twitter.com/jordanpeele/status/970790443112841216?s=21

Jimbatron

Was delighted to see Gary Oldman win Best Actor, not to downplay other nominees, but over the course of time, this was overdue IMHO.

When you can play Winston Churchill and Drexl the pimp with equal measure of brilliance, then you are officially the complete actor. Many great names have played the former over the years, so it's not as if there wasn't expectation, and he was sensational in The Darkest Hour.

Edited by Jimbatron

Leftist Bastard

Gary Oldman's Oscar is deserved for past work but Darkest Hour is a decidedly mediocre film overall. Literally made to net him an oscar and nothing else.

Jimbatron

Gary Oldman's Oscar is deserved for past work but Darkest Hour is a decidedly mediocre film overall. Literally made to net him an oscar and nothing else.

It's for best Actor anyway, so what you thought of the overall film Darkest hour is pretty much a moot point. Nevertheless I thought it was a perfectly good movie - whilst it was clearly an opportunity for him to gun for an Academy Award, to suggest the sole purpose of the entire thing was that alone is stretching things a bit. I enjoyed it more than The Shape of Water, which picked up more awards. Beyond Oldman's performance the support cast was excellent as well.