2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ClaudeIzABadAzz

Aaron Garbut said something that makes no sense...

ClaudeIzABadAzz

So I was reading this interview from 2004 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/interview_13072004_GTAAaronGarbut) in which Aaron Garbut (Rockstar Games Art Director) said this:

"There are no restraints, as long as something fits into the game world without looking out of place or time and it looks great and plays well, it’s in."

So, are you telling me a Jetpack looks like it fits into 1990s LA? I know things like this have been discussed countless times in other threads, but seriously this game is so inconsistent.

Does that also mean that stealing a Jet from a Military Aircraft Carrier also fits into 1990s LA?

I mean, this game is supposed to be about 1990s LA Gang Culture! Drive-bys, robberies, car jackings, stuff like that! Which we DO get in the first chapter of the game, but after that the storyline turns to sh*t.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, after all it's my second favourite GTA, but come on.

Yeah this has kinda turned into a "San Andreas storyline is so incosistent thread" but oh well.

lil weasel

Gaming has for the most part stopped being about PLAYing.

Now (GTA V) the games are becoming just "Pretty" interactive Stories. All Story with very little Playing. The Gamer is now just reading (watching) a drama/movie (cut scene) then being allowed to do some minor guided action.

The loosely linked controller action (play) in the GTA San Andreas game allows for a great deal of "action".

The game play is paramount, not the story.

I believe there is not a game on the market that does not give up reality to play. If you have a story of note you do not have entertaining play.

RetroMystic

So I was reading this interview from 2004 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/interview_13072004_GTAAaronGarbut) in which Aaron Garbut (Rockstar Games Art Director) said this:

"There are no restraints, as long as something fits into the game world without looking out of place or time and it looks great and plays well, it’s in."

So, are you telling me a Jetpack looks like it fits into 1990s LA? I know things like this have been discussed countless times in other threads, but seriously this game is so inconsistent.

Does that also mean that stealing a Jet from a Military Aircraft Carrier also fits into 1990s LA?

I mean, this game is supposed to be about 1990s LA Gang Culture! Drive-bys, robberies, car jackings, stuff like that! Which we DO get in the first chapter of the game, but after that the storyline turns to sh*t.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, after all it's my second favourite GTA, but come on.

Yeah this has kinda turned into a "San Andreas storyline is so incosistent thread" but oh well.

San Andreas does go pretty off the rails once you hit Bone County and everything proceeding it. That's not to say it's to the games detriment but the story would have been 10x if there was some consistency.

If instead of having 3 cities just made Los Santos much bigger + a bigger version of red county and kept the Gangsta themes throughout would have made the game better is anyone's guess but the story we got is pretty damn good, and to be fair the themes of street loyalty and such are pretty strong and some could argue is what drives the story (CJ working his ass of to get Sweet out of prison).

Edited by RetroMystic

Ben the busta

To me San Andreas have best story line of all Grand Theft Auto game series,as you sad in first chapter you get all those robberies,car stealing etc..after that what comes is all connected if you look up.Crooked cops got CJ's hands tied and he must obey their orders untill High noon mission,from San Fierro were CJ is working on his Garage and later destroying drug factory and killing everyone who is into it,including Ryder,Jizzy,T-Bone etc..also you have those calls from Cesar when he is telling you that package is leaving San Fierro and going to Los Santos so you can also work on cutting Big Smokes drug line delivery,then its gets even more f*cked up since Toreno is showing up as government agent and also having his hands tied up since he treatens to kill Sweet.When you return to Los Santos in mission Riot i think its refference to those riots LA had in 90's am not familiar with it so am not gonna get into details.

Anyway i like the story line,of course its impossible the steal jet from navy ship and going rambo style in Smokes building in last game but still story line is pretty awesome.

D9fred95

Still has more internal consistency than GTAO.

anthony

Inconsistent or not, I always thought it was an amazing story.

When you return to Los Santos in mission Riot i think its refference to those riots LA had in 90's

Yeah, and also Tempenny who is based on a real cop.

Edited by anthony

Journey_95

Now (GTA V) the games are becoming just "Pretty" interactive Stories. All Story with very little Playing. The Gamer is now just reading (watching) a drama/movie (cut scene) then being allowed to do some minor guided action.

The loosely linked controller action (play) in the GTA San Andreas game allows for a great deal of "action".

I believe there is not a game on the market that does not give up reality to play. If you have a story of note you do not have entertaining play.

Not sure which GTA V you were playing but most of the time is still taken up by the gameplay, not the cutscenes.

I'm sure there are some GTA 2 fans like you who bashed GTA 3, SA etc. for having cutscenes and actual protagonists too, lol.

People need to stop being so nostalgia obsessed. Gaming evolves all the time.

I think the story goes downhill after LS, I loved the hood theme and they did a good job with immersing yourself in the gang culture. After that it gets a bit silly, sh*t like jetpacks doesn't belong in GTA and it doesn't even add much to the game so I never understood why some consider it to be important.

Evil empire

As long as the content brings more fun what's wrong with it?

The jetpack is fantaisist but it's also very convenient and it never bothered me having it in the game, at the contrary.

Journey_95

As long as the content brings more fun what's wrong with it?

The jetpack is fantaisist but it's also very convenient and it never bothered me having it in the game, at the contrary.

Because there should be a limit. If they go just with "fun" we end up with something like GTA:O and SA seemed to be moving in that direction with the Jetpack and Green go sh*t.

And btw I don't think its even that fun, got old real quick and didn't add anything to the game.

Algonquin Assassin

Not sure which GTA V you were playing but most of the time is still taken up by the gameplay, not the cutscenes.

I'm sure there are some GTA 2 fans like you who bashed GTA 3, SA etc. for having cutscenes and actual protagonists too, lol.

People need to stop being so nostalgia obsessed. Gaming evolves all the time. I think the story goes downhill after LS, I loved the hood theme and they did a good job with immersing yourself in the gang culture. After that it gets a bit silly, sh*t like jetpacks doesn't belong in GTA and it doesn't even add much to the game so I never understood why some consider it to be important.

Couldn’t agree more. My favourite part of the story is the initial Los Santos arc as it feels the most like a GTA game. When it started changing gears introducing all that other crap though it made me roll my eyes so hard they almost fell out of my head and as a result I’ve still never finished it.

It had promise, but for me atleast it didn’t deliver.

Am Shaegar

How do you measure limit, and/or determine the threshold of limit for a game like GTA? I find such kind of arguments really bogus and unwarranted (explanation below), and mostly being used by people who have nothing substantial to criticise about the game. Basically, nitpicking and making a big issue that is agenda driven to antagonize and hate SA which enjoys a huge fan following. Any game that has huge following becomes an easy target of those who can't stomach its popularity.

Take for instance this topic itself. OP actually visited my profile and noticed Aaron Garbut's article, and then decides to use it as another good opportunity to push the same agenda further. Here's the proof, note the timeline.

@topic - Jetpack as a concept is actually not quite unrealistic to begin with. I am sure there are many people who are wise enough and understand this already, but just for clarity's sake, here's a link to wikipedia page that explains in complete details. Jetpack had already turned into a reality even before SA was released.

Gene_shoemaker_with_rocket_belt.jpg

It was first demonstrated in 1961 but 5 gallons of hydrogen peroxide as fuel for 21 seconds of flight time did not impress the army and development was cancelled. This concept was revived in the 1990s and today these packs can provide powerful, manageable thrust

So the argument of "limiting" something that actually existed in real life doesn't make sense, since Rockstar introduced it quite late into the story, and in a place and time that fits the setting, namely, the desert area, and close to Area 69, which suggests to me its inclusion was meant as a reference to the real life Area 51 in southern Nevada, and all the myths and conspiracies surrounding it, which is a unique selling point of GTA, as well. The GTA series is known for its parodies of many interesting things, then why single out jetpack?

anthony

Actually, this is not nostalgia when the old games are still up to date and that the new games are mostly a regression.

Which is the case here.

Edited by anthony

Evil empire

Jetpacks were popular in the early 90's fictions by the way, just take a look at Streets of rage 2 and 3 for example, so its presence is a well thought wink to this period and a convenient transportation mean.

Reameb

Logic in a gta game. mhmmm

Brian_O_Malley

Sure SanAndreas might not be as story driven as IV, And it does get a little inconsistent at parts, But to me it's the most fun story in the series,

And out of 101 missions only 3 were OTT (Black Project, Green Goo, Vertical Bird)

Edited by Brian_O_Malley

Journey_95

Actually, this is not nostalgia when the old games are still up to date and that the new games are mostly a regression.

Which is the case here.

Thats nostalgia talking..again. The new games are an improvement in most ways (if not every way).

Journey_95

Sure SanAndreas might not be as story driven as IV, And it does get a little inconsistent at parts, But to me it's the most fun story in the series,

And out of 101 missions only 3 were OTT (Black Project, Green Goo, Vertical Bird)

I won't lie, its a fun story for sure. I just think the Jetpack stuff was unnecessary and didn't add anything of substance to the game.

Jetpacks were popular in the early 90's fictions by the way, just take a look at Streets of rage 2 and 3 for example, so its presence is a well thought wink to this period and a convenient transportation mean.

Doesn't make them any better. Its just not GTA, if they kept going that direction I would have lost interest in the series (well they did with Online but I don't give a f*ck about it anyway).

Fun is great and all but there is something called a series identity. I wouldn't want this franchise to go the Saints Row way.

Journey_95

People need to stop being so nostalgia obsessed. Gaming evolves all the time. I think the story goes downhill after LS, I loved the hood theme and they did a good job with immersing yourself in the gang culture. After that it gets a bit silly, sh*t like jetpacks doesn't belong in GTA and it doesn't even add much to the game so I never understood why some consider it to be important.

Couldn’t agree more. My favourite part of the story is the initial Los Santos arc as it feels the most like a GTA game. When it started changing gears introducing all that other crap though it made me roll my eyes so hard they almost fell out of my head and as a result I’ve still never finished it.

It had promise, but for me atleast it didn’t deliver.

I finished it a few times actually lol but overall I think the story definitely goes downhill after SA and just becomes an enjoyable trainwreck which is fine of course but it had more potential

Edited by Journey_95

gts.

Someone can't understand that's a fictional game, not every thing that was implemented needs to fit the game's era. Also, didn't you see GTA V yet? I think a lot of stuff doesn't fit there and nobody is complaining about it.

Am Shaegar

People do complain about V. Many times these people actually seem like hypocrites when they use the nostalgia argument, while constantly complaining about how V has regressed over other GTA's. A lot of times they seem confused.

Anthony made a valid point, and not pretending that it must be nostalgia just becuase these games are old, since there's a common tendency for people claiming that modern games are an improvement in many ways, and simply better just becuase they are new.

anthony

Which is the case here.

Thats nostalgia talking..again. The new games are an improvement in most ways (if not every way).

Well, no, it's not true.

GTA 5 lack of interiors from GTA SA & GTA 4, ability to buy houses and hotel suites from GT SA, watered down A.I from GTA SA & GTA 4, Euphoria and vehicles damages from GTA 4; for example.

Improvements in some area, but not in most and definitely not in every area.

This is not 100% bulletproof and I'm not saying it happen for every single game, but in this current generation, it tends to happen often.

Edited by anthony

Ben the busta

Which is the case here.

Well, no, it's not true.

GTA 5 lack of interiors from GTA SA & GTA 4, ability to buy houses and hotel suites from GT SA, watered down A.I from GTA SA & GTA 4, Euphoria and vehicles damages from GTA 4; for example.

Improvements in some area, but not in most and definitely not in every area.

This is not 100% bulletproof and I'm not saying it happen for every single game, but in this current generation, it tends to happen often.

Mafia 3 was sh*t,i couldn't agree with you more!

lil weasel

Nostalgia is something where a thought is activated, by a word, phrase, smell, or other stimulus to a sense.

A point of new games is that the publishers Must appease the "Censors". and the Children who play them.

Children are losing their ability to fantasize, they demand "real" visuals.

"Censors" demand Less shocking action. Point in fact: Germany & Australia do not want rewards for killing and no gore.

Publishers trying to meet those demands find it cheaper during development to cut the scenes for everybody, rather than just the specific countries Censors, as they had to do previously.

The inane and often silly "missions" is what made the GTA San Andreas a FUN game.

The Difficulty of some "missions" puts off many players, Me included (it took me 4 hours a day for month to past the Verdant Meadows Pilot School). I can now do it 12± minutes. I played on a 6 inch TV screen. In those days the tutorials were clear, now I can barely play many modern games on a 43 inch HDTV

Now, the idea of the games (older) was to entertain the Player.

To force the Player to use the Controller and do some fancy manipulations.

The Story was a tool to tie the "missions" together. It is not a Novel in a Game.

A good game has a balance of play regarding the Puzzles Presented.

A good game kept the Player busy for a minimum of 40 Hours.

GTA San Andreas was the first to allow Players to Actually roam the complete map from the start..

GTA San Andreas did not allow the Players to drown when only ankle deep in water.

GTA San Andreas allowed the Player to more than steep over a high curb.

GTA San Andreas did not require the Player to "wear" specific clothing to do all but one mission.

GTA San Andreas Allowed the Player (if aware), to use other than the indicated Weapon, Vehicle, and approach to many missions.

GTA San Andreas was intended for Older Teens & Adults.

GTA San Andreas is the end of an era.

Edited by lil weasel

Am Shaegar

The Story was a tool to tie the "missions" together. It is not a Novel in a Game.

I agree a lot on other points, but the part I quoted resonates very strongly with my own thoughts on this matter. Games these days are becoming more pretty looking novels, with very little player agency in them. If I want to experience a great story (SA's story is awesome nonetheless), I would rather pick a book or watch a movie. The first priority should be the gameplay, and content. Having a great story is more like a bonus, not a necessity to have in video games. It also depends on the developers and the team of writers. I can't even recall that many great stories that weren't rehashed from other sources in media, or outright rip-offs of several hollywood movies. Very few games in the last decade or so have actually managed to offer very nice stories, combined with equally good gameplay.

So, I don't understand this obsession over "Story this..story that.." on each and every gaming thread, except for FPS titles.

Journey_95

Someone can't understand that's a fictional game, not every thing that was implemented needs to fit the game's era. Also, didn't you see GTA V yet? I think a lot of stuff doesn't fit there and nobody is complaining about it.

Someone can't understand that there should be a limit, otherwise you loose the series identity. Why not add spaceships next..may be "fun"?

Journey_95

Nostalgia is something where a thought is activated, by a word, phrase, smell, or other stimulus to a sense.

A point of new games is that the publishers Must appease the "Censors". and the Children who play them.

Children are losing their ability to fantasize, they demand "real" visuals.

"Censors" demand Less shocking action. Point in fact: Germany & Australia do not want rewards for killing and no gore.

Publishers trying to meet those demands find it cheaper during development to cut the scenes for everybody, rather than just the specific countries Censors, as they had to do previously.

The inane and often silly "missions" is what made the GTA San Andreas a FUN game.

The Difficulty of some "missions" puts off many players, Me included (it took me 4 hours a day for month to past the Verdant Meadows Pilot School). I can now do it 12± minutes. I played on a 6 inch TV screen. In those days the tutorials were clear, now I can barely play many modern games on a 43 inch HDTV

Now, the idea of the games (older) was to entertain the Player.

To force the Player to use the Controller and do some fancy manipulations.

A good game has a balance of play regarding the Puzzles Presented.

A good game kept the Player busy for a minimum of 40 Hours.

GTA San Andreas was the first to allow Players to Actually roam.

GTA San Andreas did not allow the Players to drown when ankle deep in water.

GTA San Andreas allowed the Player to more than steep over a high curb.

GTA San Andreas did not require the Player to "wear" specific clothing to do a mission.

GTA San Andreas Allowed the Player (if aware), to use other than the indicated Weapon, Vehicle, and approach to many missions.

GTA San Andreas was intended for Older Teens & Adults.

GTA San Andreas is the end of an era.

Wat. How is GTA V censored in comparison with SA? If anything its even more controversial with stuff like the torture scene. Unless you are missing your Hot Coffee Mod..lol.

No, people just demand better graphics as time goes on (and gaming technology develops). Just like SA had better graphics than GTA 3 and the latter did have much better one's than GTA 2. If we go with your mindset, things should never change. GTA should stay top down, how about fantasizing there?

Well thats your thing. I pased the Flight school in a few days, it wasn't really that hard. Wrong side of the tracks was more annoying and its more because of the lacking game design (Big Smoke shoots like sh*t) than Rockstar wanting "fun" for the player.

New games entertain me just as much, if not more (because the world in GTA IV and V is more alive). GTA IV and V kept me busy for more than 40 hours.

Its not a novel but a great story can still be told, as many games show.

I never said GTA SA didn't have new features but GTA 3 for an example is much more revolutionary. Thats the game that pushed the whole open world genre into new heights. SA just continued it.

I can count as many featues for GTA IV and maybe V too.

Holy hell though, nostalgia is one powerful drug. Enjoy your old games I guess, seems like you are just fixed on one game and can't move on.

Edited by Journey_95

Am Shaegar

What identity does the GTA present to you? And what harm has the GTA suffered as a result of the jetpack ??

IV and V didn't feature jetpack. So, what kind of limit are you talking about? In fact, the single player component is so limited in both IV and V, compared to 3D era games, and subject to DLC's and Downloading updates, that the players have to join multiplayer to get their full money's worth, which is why Online is so successful.

So, I don't know what else is left to to limit.

Journey_95

What identity does the GTA present to you? And what harm has the GTA suffered as a result of the jetpack ??

IV and V didn't feature jetpack. So, what kind of limit are you talking about? In fact, the single player component is so limited in both IV and V, compared to 3D era games, and subject to DLC's and Downloading updates, that the players have to join multiplayer to get their full money's worth, which is why Online is so successful.

So, I don't know what else is left to to limit.

No real harm thankfully since Rockstar didn't keep going in that silly direction in the SP.

Oh no, GTA V and IV don't have any jetpacks and other stupid sh*t. They are too limited and not worth the full price (wtf)! Lol. Also wtf happened to you being a fan of GTA V?

Online is successful because people love to play with others, thats it. It was already popular before Rockstar decided to go all Saints Row.

GTA's identity? Stealing cars, exploring criminal organizations, killing people etc. Its definitely not about flying in some f*cking Jetpack or getting some Alien goo.

Edited by Journey_95

Algonquin Assassin

I agree a lot on other points, but the part I quoted resonates very strongly with my own thoughts on this matter. Games these days are becoming more pretty looking novels, with very little player agency in them. If I want to experience a great story (SA's story is awesome nonetheless), I would rather pick a book or watch a movie. The first priority should be the gameplay, and content. Having a great story is more like a bonus, not a necessity to have in video games. It also depends on the developers and the team of writers. I can't even recall that many great stories that weren't rehashed from other sources in media, or outright rip-offs of several hollywood movies. Very few games in the last decade or so have actually managed to offer very nice stories, combined with equally good gameplay.

So, I don't understand this obsession over "Story this..story that.." on each and every gaming thread, except for FPS titles.

You seem to think people having an obsession with stories is a bi-product of the modern era when it isn't. Plenty of classic titles from the 80s/90s use narratives to drive them forward. Sometimes more so than modern titles do. I take it you've never played The Secret Of Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango and plenty of other classic point and click/adventure games from that era which actually focus more on their stories than gameplay..

What's changed is that technology has improved to allow for much higher quality and cinematic fidelity, but for whatever the ignorance has crept in that developers don't care about making games anymore and only making so called "pretty novels".

Stories in video games have been going hand in hand for decades. If developers really thought all people care about is gameplay with a story (or something resembling one) coming second we'd still be stuck playing Space Invaders.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Am Shaegar

You are wrong in assuming that I haven't played classics like Grim, etc. Those titles were made with a specific purpose and emphasis on a particular style of presenting the game to the players. I am talking about the open world genre and a shift in the focus leaning more towards making pretty looking novels, and not, like lil weasel commented, using the Story as a tool to tie the "missions" together. This is what happens in Grim as well. It doesn't bombard you with long, drawn out, cutscenes, with all the button prompts and help flashing on the screen, forcing the player to play in a particular manner, otherwise..BOOM! Mission failed?!

I have grown up playing lots of amazing games that are still pretty revolutionary in certain areas of gameplay.

Nobody is saying that there should be no story. I mean, without a story how are you going to tie missions, or motivate the player to move from a mission to mission anyways.

The problem is not the story, the problem is the over emphasis on the story being the driving force behind players picking up modern games, leaving gameplay aside from evolving any further than it should.