Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,382 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Up2NoGood45

Stunt Races

JuniorChubb

What is short-shifting, brakeboosting and how do you do it? Is short-shifting when you release the throttle just a little over bumps to get some extra speed? I've heard about it but never gotten any real answers to it

Good luck getting answers on this, different people have all sorts of different explanations for it then someone will come and tell you that it is not called 'this' it is called 'that'... I don't know but will have a shot at it for you...

Anyway afaik it is releasing the accelerator (and maybe dabbing the handbrake) then back on the accelerator at the right spot between gear changes. This gives you a speed boost and if a bump is involved then the boost is amplified a la 'curb boosting'.

I do not think using a bump is essential as I have seen people use the technique on flat surface drag races.

Disclaimer: The above is my interpretation of Short Shifting, it is not based on fact just what I have come across and heard whilst playing the game.

Big Molio

catch up and slipstream are far more toxic as they actually have a negative effect on skill.

Agreed. I'm under no illusion that GTA racing, especially stunt racing, should be taken as a serious racing game, but being penalised for being better (or luckier, depending on grid position most often) by having your car slowed to a crawl is pretty dumb. The noobs love it, it's the only chance they have, either that or they simply don't know any different and it is on by default.

I'm pretty quick. I'm probably not as quick as that guy in the video up there, but I can often hold my own with the higher ranks. I've learned a good few of the shortcuts and where you can squeeze some extra speed out.

Nine times out of ten though it's just a complete and utter f*ckfest. Carnage. I've learned to live with it, it's just the way it is.

Action_Andy

You can find good videos about those on Youtube. Iirc, GUN1T123 made a video about short shifting. adam10603 has a very good video about brakeboosting. You can see me doing it at 0:58 in the Canyon Crossing video.

kenmy13999

What is short-shifting, brakeboosting and how do you do it? Is short-shifting when you release the throttle just a little over bumps to get some extra speed? I've heard about it but never gotten any real answers to it

Good luck getting answers on this, different people have all sorts of different explanations for it then someone will come and tell you that it is not called 'this' it is called 'that'... I don't know but will have a shot at it for you...

Anyway afaik it is releasing the accelerator (and maybe dabbing the handbrake) then back on the accelerator at the right spot between gear changes. This gives you a speed boost and if a bump is involved then the boost is amplified a la 'curb boosting'.

I do not think using a bump is essential as I have seen people use the technique on flat surface drag races.

Disclaimer: The above is my interpretation of Short Shifting, it is not based on fact just what I have come across and heard whilst playing the game.

That sounds like what I call mid drive speed boost but you're probably right that it's not easy to get a good answer on this.

One of my friends is really good at racing and he once talked about that he had to use mid drive speed boost,short shifting and kerb boosting to beat another one of my friends once so it seemed like there's different things. I was stupid to not ask him that time and it's so long ago so I'm not ripping it up again either, probably to complicated for me anyway.. Lol

KWF1981

No it's not cheating, it's a game mechanism so it's an exploit at best/worst or whatever you want to call it

Exploit, that is the word I was looking for. I agree, not really a cheat. I've seen real cheating in the stunt races. Like being ahead of racers and all of a sudden they are ahead. I'm like WTF just happened? I just write their names down and kick them from races when I see them again.

Also, those so called world records. What a joke those are. There is no way in hell anyone finished those races in that amount of time without cheating big time. I'm pretty good, and with a fully upgraded Vagner cannot even finish have of Chiliad within the world record time. I wish they would wipe all those out and allow real times.

Not sure what platform you're on and if that really matters but you really don't see that much "cheaters" on console, not current gen at least.

There's actually a lot of short cuts you can take in most if the R* created stunt races that can put you in front of others as long as you're not to far behind, so kicking someone that's used time to learn and take advantage of things like that is a little low imo but that's just me.. We all have different opinions on what cheating is so I don't judge people that think that is cheating tho

Most world records are achieved by glitches on console at least, not sure about pc tho..

You might also get better times if you switch the Vagner with x80 or Nero Custom in races with tubes and wall rides etc

Edit: I see action_Andy showing a video about it that shows what some short cuts can do, iirc he also made a thread with short cuts in stunt races that is worth reading if you're doing lots of racing

Agreed.

Though, world records can be legitimately buggy too, lag and such, or when players quit races. Stuff like that can interfere.

Also not forgetting, the day a new batch of races do come, like for me with the 2nd wave of stunt races, when no records exist. Be sure to get on asap and get a easy one before the bugs, and cheats do get there. Around 9/10am UK time I've found. (Though, not often I can get a Tuesday morning off, so it was very fortunate timing back then).

kenmy13999

No it's not cheating, it's a game mechanism so it's an exploit at best/worst or whatever you want to call it

Exploit, that is the word I was looking for. I agree, not really a cheat. I've seen real cheating in the stunt races. Like being ahead of racers and all of a sudden they are ahead. I'm like WTF just happened? I just write their names down and kick them from races when I see them again.

Also, those so called world records. What a joke those are. There is no way in hell anyone finished those races in that amount of time without cheating big time. I'm pretty good, and with a fully upgraded Vagner cannot even finish have of Chiliad within the world record time. I wish they would wipe all those out and allow real times.

Not sure what platform you're on and if that really matters but you really don't see that much "cheaters" on console, not current gen at least.

There's actually a lot of short cuts you can take in most if the R* created stunt races that can put you in front of others as long as you're not to far behind, so kicking someone that's used time to learn and take advantage of things like that is a little low imo but that's just me.. We all have different opinions on what cheating is so I don't judge people that think that is cheating tho

Most world records are achieved by glitches on console at least, not sure about pc tho..

You might also get better times if you switch the Vagner with x80 or Nero Custom in races with tubes and wall rides etc

Edit: I see action_Andy showing a video about it that shows what some short cuts can do, iirc he also made a thread with short cuts in stunt races that is worth reading if you're doing lots of racing

Agreed.

Though, world records can be legitimately buggy too, lag and such, or when players quit races. Stuff like that can interfere.

Also not forgetting, the day a new batch of races do come, like for me with the 2nd wave of stunt races, when no records exist. Be sure to get on asap and get a easy one before the bugs, and cheats do get there. Around 9/10am UK time I've found. (Though, not often I can get a Tuesday morning off, so it was very fortunate timing back then).

Luckily I got my world record and racing blonde tattoo when special vehicle races came out and as you say it's very easy to get them when new R* created races are released if you're relatively early.

It was just some days ago I checked some of the world records on some of the cunning stunt races and I'm 99.9999% sure that some of those records are set when people have had teleportation glitch. I don't remember exactly what the time was but there's no way that is possible with kerb boosting, short cuts etc, I think it would be fair for everyone if they'd reset the records from time to time but that could probably f*ck up for those that already have the world record achievement

Voodoo-Hendrix

About World Records, somehow I got one in Pier Race after lagging out for some reason.

Action_Andy

That sounds like what I call mid drive speed boost but you're probably right that it's not easy to get a good answer on this.

One of my friends is really good at racing and he once talked about that he had to use mid drive speed boost,short shifting and kerb boosting to beat another one of my friends once so it seemed like there's different things. I was stupid to not ask him that time and it's so long ago so I'm not ripping it up again either, probably to complicated for me anyway.. Lol

Short shifting and mdsb are complete different things. With short-shifting you switch the gear earlier than normal before you go over a bump or anything that manipulates your revs to maximise that effect. Higher revs= higher speed. E.g. when you go over a bump with high revs in 3rd gear, hit the bump and switch gear after it, your revs will be low again. If you switch the gear right before the bump, than the bump will make your revs go high = more speed.With a MDSB you force your tires to do a burnout while in 2nd or 3rd gear, which gives you a speed boost as well. That effect is different for each car, it's huge with Banshee 900r or Pariah and almost nonexistent on other cars. With brake boosting you also force your tires to do a burnout, but in high gear. You need a crest or something in the road for it to do it. You hold gas all the time and hit the brakes while going over the crest. With the right timing, you get that burnout speed boost.

kenmy13999

Short shifting and mdsb are complete different things. With short-shifting you switch the gear earlier than normal before you go over a bump or anything that manipulates your revs to maximise that effect. Higher revs= higher speed. E.g. when you go over a bump with high revs in 3rd gear, hit the bump and switch gear after it, your revs will be low again. If you switch the gear right before the bump, than the bump will make your revs go high = more speed.With a MDSB you force your tires to do a burnout while in 2nd or 3rd gear, which gives you a speed boost as well. That effect is different for each car, it's huge with Banshee 900r or Pariah and almost nonexistent on other cars. With brake boosting you also force your tires to do a burnout, but in high gear. You need a crest or something in the road for it to do it. You hold gas all the time and hit the brakes while going over the crest. With the right timing, you get that burnout speed boost.

I have to take back that I said it probably wasn't easy to get a good answer on this.. Thanks for the explanation AA, short-shifting was something in the lines of what I've heard before

Cheesy_wotsit

I see action_Andy showing a video about it that shows what some short cuts can do

but here's the thing, in what races do you ever hear someone saying well he used a short cut to get ahead??? That's because in most races the concept is that EVERYONE has to follow the same track if you're taking a 'short cut' then you aren't on the track any more, of course the issue is not so much what the guy in the video was showing. The game allows the player to get away with taking those short cuts so by all means use them and exploit them. The fact is the player isn't to blame for just how sh*t racing in GTA is the comical thing though while watching that video was I just ended up thinking well he just ended the race with 30 seconds worth of time penalties and a significant lowering of his SR rating, guess I've been playing a little to much GT Sport.

As for kerb boosting, yup GTA racing the only racing game in the world were weaving back and forth instead of driving in a straight line is actually faster... that alone tells you just how f*cked the driving physics engine in this game is.

Blasterman4EVER

I didn't start playing GTA 5 till 2015 and didn't try the stunt races until probably early summer of '17. I've managed to win over 700 races while losing about 1000 so I've done a lot of racing since I discovered it.

I was accused of cheating this week because I was going back and forth off the curb to gain speed. I believe they call it "curb boosting" I've seen a hundred people doing this and never thought anything bad of it. I know it works but it's just kind of annoying to have to do it. Kind of like standing up at a baseball game. If the people in front sit then I get to sit, they stand I have to stand LOL.

It never occurred to me that people may consider that some kind of a cheat. Rockstar has to know about it and if it was a problem they would have fixed it, kind of like putting up the barriers and putting extra checkpoints in the races to prevent people jumping to shortcuts.

So my question is do you consider "curb boosting" a cheat? And if so what else do you consider cheating? Pulling back on the motorcycle handlebars makes your motorcycle fly and increase speed big time. In fact you cannot win a race without doing it. IS that a cheat as well? Seems like the same thing to me.

Thanks for your opinions.

Curb boosting is an ultimate bitch move.

Unfortunately, when you're facing douche bags who default to racing like this, you have little choice but to follow suit if you want to win.

I just kick them from races, since I'm host majority of the time.

Let them figure it out in the cloud.

kenmy13999

I see action_Andy showing a video about it that shows what some short cuts can do

but here's the thing, in what races do you ever hear someone saying well he used a short cut to get ahead??? That's because in most races the concept is that EVERYONE has to follow the same track if you're taking a 'short cut' then you aren't on the track any more, of course the issue is not so much what the guy in the video was showing. The game allows the player to get away with taking those short cuts so by all means use them and exploit them. The fact is the player isn't to blame for just how sh*t racing in GTA is the comical thing though while watching that video was I just ended up thinking well he just ended the race with 30 seconds worth of time penalties and a significant lowering of his SR rating, guess I've been playing a little to much GT Sport.

As for kerb boosting, yup GTA racing the only racing game in the world were weaving back and forth instead of driving in a straight line is actually faster... that alone tells you just how f*cked the driving physics engine in this game is.

You'll probably hear how the hell did he get past me here, wtf.. But shortcuts like shown in that video really isn't any problem imo because most people can't pull them of consistently lap after lap without crashing or something else that makes you loose time..

Racing mechanics in gta can be a little strange I agree in that..

Have to say that the penalty system in GT Sport is far from perfect and I have some wtf moments there also so even not a "real racing simulator" gets everything right but it's better than gta tho..

oleg_aka_djmeg

it's burnout boosting, not brake boosting, thanks.

also, shortcuts are good because most of them are difficult and you will waste a lot of time if you don't execute them right.

Action_Andy

it's burnout boosting, not brake boosting, thanks.

also, shortcuts are good because most of them are difficult and you will waste a lot of time if you don't execute them right.

I agree, it should be named "burnout boosting" but most people call it "brake boosting" and you'll find easier information about it when you look for "brake boosting", so I used that term.

About shortcuts: No guts no glory, no pain no gain! Goes to youtube and listens to the Galaxy Rangers Theme again ...

JuniorChubb

snip*

Cheers Andy :)

Big Molio

In what races do you ever hear that the racers looped the loop, raced around vertical walls of death and through steel tubes? They are nonsensical Stunt Races after all, so if the players can perform extra (difficult) stunts to get ahead, all power to them wouldn’t you agree?

nido997

I don t consider it cheating at all .... it s because of the broken GTA physics that we are forced to use them .... if they fix the game ( and get rid of that bull**** called catchup ) , then I´ll get rid of curb boosting ....

BTW : I don t use it that much TBH , only on very long straights and if the others are using it as well ....

Edited by nido997

Action_Andy

Btw, electric cars don't get a speedboost through curbboosting. If you want a race without any curbboosting, than everyone has to use an electric car, like Voltic, etc. Won't happen in a random lobby, obviously, but could be an idea for racing with friends or crew.

M*A*R*I*N*A

Curb boosting gives me LIFE, I always do it because I hotlap

Edited by M*A*R*I*N*A