2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

WACKADOODLEDOO

The Outrun Overdrive Update - Concept Update Idea

Dacelo

Outrun is a blanket term for basically hyper-focused 80's aesthetics combined with usually bright neon is incorporated, grids, etc. It's not a music genre but it's almost synonymous with a music genre (Synthwave).

The term comes from Kavinsky's (electronic artist) 2013 Synthwave album of the same name (article on Synthwave), along with the game Hotline Miami and the movie Drive (which featured Kavinsky's song Nightcall in the opening along with some other synthwave and 80's inspired tracks) which both came out in 2011, creating a kind of perfect storm for the aesthetic to get further into the mainstream. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon also gave Outrun and Synthwave a huge boost into the public eye.

universetwisters

It seems really overdone imo but that's just me. I don't even think the actual 80s was like that, if anything it's what someone who grew up in the present time thought the 80s was like.

Pequod_

It seems really overdone imo but that's just me. I don't even think the actual 80s was like that, if anything it's what someone who grew up in the present time thought the 80s was like.

The concept is inspired by 80s movies lol, not the actual 80s.

universetwisters

But even 80s movies I don't remember having a sh*tton of overbaked neon grids and synthpop.

Mach1bud

But even 80s movies I don't remember having a sh*tton of overbaked neon grids and synthpop.

Then you were watching the wrong movies.

universetwisters

Then you were watching the wrong movies.

Then which movies are the right movies?

Mach1bud

It is a joke man. The whole thing is "inspired by" obviously most things weren't all over the top pink neon and lazer beams. That style of stuff was just more prevelant in pop culture than it is today.

Edited by Mach1bud

Dacelo

80's films may not have all been scored with synthpop but they were definitely full of synths, at least genre films were. Vangelis' score for Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire? The Terminator? Ennio Morricone's score for The Thing? And continuing with John Carpenter, everything he made in the 80s was very synth heavy.
Edited by Dacelo

DerangedCrackhead

To be honest the more I think about it the more that seems that most of the things that have been commonly associated to the 1980's are actually more from the late 1980's to early 1990's. Overgeneralizing a bit, it's like for the popular culture the eighties started in 1988.

universetwisters

To be honest the more I think about it the more that seems that most of the things that have been commonly associated to the 1980's are actually more from the late 1980's to early 1990's. Overgeneralizing a bit, it's like for the popular culture the eighties started in 1988.

I can roll with that. At least I think the whole SYNTHS NEON GRIDS etc stuff was more of a thing after Drive, Miami Hotline, etc. when you look at actual pop culture stuff from the 80s like Miami Vice, Terminator, etc. the only thing from that era that rolled over to the SYNTHWAVE thing today were, as mentioned by Dacelo, synth driven music.

>"B-b-b-but Miami Vice was neons!"

No, it was pastels. If one more person mistakes pastels as neons I'm gonna throw all my furniture out the window and bite my landlord's wrist.

CaptainMarvel

Love the concept OP. You even have the economics of the concept to what R* would implement for home invasions and pawning.

WACKADOODLEDOO

Wow, I'm amazed to see such a big response from the community regarding this update concept!

I have some more update concepts in the works which I plan to release through the year, not just for GTA, but Red Dead as well. We will have to see what the new Rockstar title has in store, however...

I have made a big adjustment to the 'Home Invasions' addition at the request and suggestion of the forums, and I plan on doing some more before submitting this idea to Rockstars Mouthoff Suggestions.

As of right now, I have some questions for the community to improve the update further:

• What are some Night Calls YOU want to see in a update like this?
  • Is there any improvements to the Burglary mechanics that you would suggest?
  • What are some cars or weapons you think would thrive in this kind of update?
  • Any other minor improvements this update should carry as well?

Stay tuned for more updates as they come!

Edited by WACKADOODLEDOO

xaml

I like it.

Edited by xaml

TheSadisticOwl

This is one of those times where I wish Rockstar would read through these forums and take notes. This DLC idea sounds perfect.

Chang

<walks in, door clips wind chimes announcing>

I'll take one outrun.

A fence shop.

Ofcourse then some of the burglary.

I got a post ops van thanks.

Two of those new cars

A side of spizzazzi

One of those new Terminator leather jackets.

A new Terminator motor bike

That lever action shotgun

And a lil of the "more fun" in that jar there...

:) I Chang

Lock n' Stock

It's sad when fans come up with better updates than the half-arsed ones that Rockstar provide. Hell, this is one update that I'd actually pay money for.

El-Gaddafii

Wow! This is probably one of the best concepts I’ve ever seen well done OP.

After the recent leak it seems like R* may actually have come across your concept, I hope this is the case and they fully implement the ideas you came up with.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Wow! This is probably one of the best concepts I’ve ever seen well done OP.

After the recent leak it seems like R* may actually have come across your concept, I hope this is the case and they fully implement the ideas you came up with.

Reiterating what I said in the other thread about this, I doubt this was the inspiration for the new update, if they even saw it. Nightclubs and related content has been a frequent fan-requested addition to GTA Online almost since the beginning, because it was in GTA San Andreas. This update concept obviously takes a fair amount of direct inspiration from that game (home invasions were another San Andreas feature), as well as incorporating the vibe and era of Vice City. Just monitoring fan feedback would have put this on their radar years ago, and it might have been on their list from the beginning - note that GTA V has a mission and web page referencing a night club "coming soon" to Los Santos. (I didn't spot this, someone on YouTube did. Pretty interesting though. This update might be partly cannibalized single player DLC, which apparently is something they are doing a lot of lately.)

Edited by Nutduster

SmokesWithCigs

i'm just now seeing this. you should work for rockstar. hows this for an idea new adversary mode "purge night"(namechange pending due to copyright)

up to 30 players

game takes place in 3 areas on the map, all of los santos, all of blaine county from sandy shores +grapeseed, grand senor +zancudo etc. the match last 8hrs or 16 minutes. starts 8pm and ends 8 am . the goal of this match is instead of getting the most kills you win by getting killed the least so your player would have a survival meter on his hud. just all out every thing with different modes and weapons to choose from weather you want to go with a team or solo deathmatch mode where you are pitted against every body. no neon dayglow-colored uniforms like most adversary modes so you can choose to wear clothes from your outfit list or regular clothes etc. new feature will include map exclusive interiors that you can hold up in and fortify for example:mission row police station tequi la- las, michaels house.franklins house Vespucci biker club house as well as regular interiors:pacific standard bank, merrywether dock office etc. also you can hide in your safe houses and offices but your enemies can invade as well so be careful. the city may black out so interiors might have a slasher mode type darkness where your guns might need to be fitted with flashlights.

LeakyLine

Please?