Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,220 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Femme Fatale

Do you ever wish you were born in a different era?

Grae

Wouldn't want to live in any past era, just visit. But if I could have similar to some of my current mentality, experiences and tastes, I'd like to be reborn to whenever a degree of immortality becomes possible, if ever.

For the tastes bit, give my family copies of some of the music, etc. I have now, a lot of which were before my current time, so with a similar mindset I could rediscover them.

But mainly, I wish to see more unfold than life normally allows. I believe practical immortality is achievable, free of aging at least. While I doubt it'll happen for me, I think by the time of my hypothetical great grandchildren it might. I wonder how it'd change humanity, like if the relatively best equality and such happens and lasts and we'd really build on it, or extreme stagnation, or... If that familial prediction is right, relative to human history it's so close, yet so far...

Edited by Grae

Lucy_Woooolfe
Posted (edited)

I've just been hit by several different thoughts about the question of which era I would prefer to live in (as I probably had):

- My first thought, like some have already answered, is that I wouldn't trade living in the current times for anything. Despite those horrible setbacks we are witnessing, despite the wars and hate, and wasted potential, we are living in times where we, as a species, have accumulated enough knowledge, tools, and resources to feed everyone and keep people happy. We have so far failed to implement these means properly, and more important, globally - mostly because of people stuck in the past holding things back, earning their profits by convincing uninformed masses that there is no point in changing things so they don't even try. But we are living in such interesting times, that only few eras could tempt me to miss seeing things finally turn better.

Yes, professional cynics may be right in saying mankind is flawed beyond redemption, there certainly is evidence enough to that notion,everything's f*cked up etc, and if those are right, I have ample time to kill myself and give a reincarnation her/his shot in playing the game somewhere/somewhen else. I prefer hoping for the better, though and I have the chance seeing this place changed significantly by, say, 2030. Why gonna miss that? Wouldn't trade it.

- This said, on second thoughts, I always had a crush on the USA in the 1920s, but then again, every time has her ups and downs, and those times might have been big party, fancy costumes, and some remarkable progress in equal rights movements (most of which would be stomped down in subsequent decades), but they were only fancy for a select few, and quite horrible for the rest. Same goes for other eras of famous style, e.g. Homer's Greece, old Rome...

- finally, my third thoughts argue that I wouldn't be me in the first place had I grown up in a different place, a different time. Particularly me being of an especially "mixed" ethnicity couldn't have even been born in most eras to begin with; my Autistic traits would have got me killed, and different circumstances would anyway always have formed a totally different person, thinking about living in Twain's proverbial best of times and worst of times, and wondering how it could have been somewhere, sometime else.

Still, would like glimpse my party girl version at Gatsby's, or being a Phoenician Queen :)

Edited by Lucy_Woooolfe

Lioshenka
Posted (edited)

I am terribly upset by the current far-liberal world that I believe is destroying the core of our societies. Therefore, it's a no-brainer if you ask me if I want to live in another era from the past. My top choices:

- between 1947-1953. Preferably USSR, if not then USA, if not then any country really. Golden years of the world, doesn't even matter which country you're in.

- 1900-1913. Either Russian or British empires or USA; it was a great time of industrialisation and discoveries, while enjoying the benefits of relatively modern medical and technological advances.

- 18th century Russia. Though I'd probably be sent to war for 25 years, so I'd rather be a woman if I had to go to that era.

- 10th century Eastern Europe. Though I'd hate to slowly bleed to death at the age of 29 from an arrow wound somewhere near Polotsk, but at least these were turbulent, yet serene times.

- 1970-ies weren't too bad, but the brutalism of architecture, disregard to the wellbeing of future generations and the environment and stagnation of everything but space exploration would make me sad.

However, being "born" suggests that I don't have a choice of going back for 10 years or so, meaning that I'd have to live a whole life in whichever era I choose. In which case I'd rather prefer the current era mainly due to the lack of wars in which I must take compulsory part. If I had to go back I'd rather be a woman.

Or, in the ultimate scenario, I'd rather not be born. Not now, not in 1987, not in the 50-ies - not ever.

Edited by Lioshenka

Miro

Going by the old saying that ignorance is bliss, perhaps the happiest version of myself would have been born not only in a different era, but a different location. But sticking to era, I guess being born just a decade earlier would have allowed me to catch all the juiciness of the early 2000's, and being still somewhat forbidden to all the information which was being available on a new-born Internet, I guess that'd have allowed to both taste an introduction of technology combined with the old knucklehead people that'd be a lot of fun.

Realistically, objectively, perhaps being born in 500 years from now would have been more helpful. I'd imagine that by then we won't be limited physically to our bodies anymore nor to all the diseases and we could basically play God somewhat on ourselves by being tied to robots in terms of our own organism and functionality. That, added to the fact that each day we're a better planet than yesterday, would mean that I'd also live with smarter people around me than now.

Richard Power Colt
Posted (edited)

Retro culture is cool and all, but life is hella easier nowadays in most places and the way technology is advancing right now is fascinating to me. I hope they can figure out a cure for aging during my lifetime so I can live long enough to see us colonize space. If not then I wish I was born later.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Tigereyesxx

The future..

Sinner!

G8dcBdg.jpg

I wish I was knocking about in 1839 so I could have photobombed Robert Cornelius.

YellowJacket
Posted (edited)

I was born in the early 80's and I love the year I was born in, however, I actually wish I was born in my dad's time (the 50's), I love the style, the cars, I want to experience the 50's, 60's, 70's and more of the 80's, as my memory of the 80's is not too bad, but, I was still fairly young when it ended, I want to have more memories of it than just a few.

Edited by YellowJacket

GTA_CAT

I would have liked to born between the 50s and 70s either in North America, Australia and New Zealand or some countries in Europe. Those are the years when people had more opportunities and you could plan your life easily. I just feel I don't fit in current society.

Crossbones

I wish I was born in the Vedic period/ ancient India or year 3000.

Japseye

Yes I belong in the 50s or whatever generation where men were... men, and whites were not divided, we helped each other daily and minded our own business. Manners and tradition too++

ddubz91

Oh yea, I wish I was born in the 80's. Mostly so I could've experienced the 90's as a teenager. If I could've done that, I would've suited quite fine.

The cars, the bikes, the music, the style and everything else, man would've been the dream for me.

JON22

I hate washing up so I'd want to live in the future where I could replicate some curry and rice, then use the demoleculisor, or deatomisor, to get rid of the plate and fork.

One of the main reasons I prefer microwave food. Less washing up 

Japseye
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JON22 said:

One of the main reasons I prefer microwave food. Less washing up 

91MTvSPt+OL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Japseye

JON22

@Japseye you think I could afford that?? I don't even have room for it.....in less I was born in an era where everyone had money for nothing and free dishwashers.

Japseye
Posted (edited)

I'll buy you 1 if you become my bitch 

But seriously, I hate people who wash up with their hands. They usually leave loads of hairs from the cloth or don't get the marks away. My family put me off hand washing a long time ago. I used to say why even wash the cups because it's just about the same result not washing them

Edited by Japseye

ProKiller93

i never used a dishwasher cause i dont trust 'em

ROCKSTAR MANIC

If given the opportunity, It would mostly be 40's Los Angeles, or 80s Miami.  So basically it would mean that I would have been born in the mid 20s for the 40s & mid 60s to be at peak of my mid 20s. I would probably have been drafted to WW2, but then returning to Los Angeles at the peak of its hollywood growth, hence  I love those movies, things happening around that time. L.A. Noire gave me a glimpse of that, But even before that game existed I was interested in that era. Now for 80s Miami, Witnessing the cocaine, excess, fame, music, historical dates or things that changed your lives a modern turn of many things that made it great would be very awsome. I think I would be used it, I mean even right now, I dont really call myself a "millienal" I kinda hate tech, in the sense that it physical drives us apart little by little. I mean I do see  technology of today as a why we could use it to an advantage. But it depends how you see it.