4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Keano

Grand Theft Auto IV: 10th Anniversary

HisNameIsMilad
5 hours ago, HisNameIsMilad said:

You guys I was at GameStop last night and I heard the Xbox one x costs more than the ps4 pro and when I asked why I was told the Xbox one x is more powerful , plus I’ve seen a video of the resolution and frame rate of the. Original gta 4 disc of the Xbox 360 and when tested and observed it runs so smooth and sharp I have always been a PlayStation fan forever but now I have a feeling PlayStation has fallen behind and i have a feeling that’s mostly due to greed 💔

Wolver_321

I don't want to start with a console war, but IMO the PS4 is the best console of this generation. I appreciate a lot the fact that Microsoft put the backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games, it should be a feature of every console! But why did they bring this feature just with a system update? Maybe because it was already designed before the launch of the original Xbox One. But why did they introduce it later? Probably because they've realized that their consoles weren't selling like PS4.

I always been a bit PS fanboy, I grew up with Sony's consoles, but I'm also open-minded and if the next Xbox will be better than PS5 I won't have any problems in saying that. Microsoft, for the moment, is concentrated on services (backwards compatibility, Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Play Anywhere, etc.). I mean, why the hell do I have to buy a Xbox One? I have a PS4 (and all its exclusives) and a PC (with the majority of Microsoft exclusives).

The fact that Xbox One X is more powerful than a PS4 Pro is true, normally third-party games run better on the Xbox. My advice is:

- Get a Xbox One X (not the regular one if you don't want to play at 20 FPS) if you like Microsoft's services, such as backwards compatibility.

- Get a PS4 Pro (it doesn't cost too much than a regular PS4) if you like PS4 exclusives

Or...

- Get yourself a decent PC. Spending money on a system just for playing GTA IV for me it's a bit a waste of money, with a good computer you can do a lot more stuff. And even if GTA IV is probably one of the worst Console-to-PC port ever made, the PC will outperform the Xbox One without any doubt. 60 FPS are a real game change!

HisNameIsMilad

Is a gtx1060 good enough to keep up FPS and graphics @ the same time consistently?

Edited by HisNameIsMilad

Wolver_321

Yeah, it's definetely a good card for 1080p, you'll be able to reach 60 FPS on every game without lowering too much the graphics. But pay attention that there are 2 models of GTX 1060: the one with 3GB of VRAM and the one with 6 GB of VRAM. If you have enough money, buy the 6GB model, in some scenarios it demolishes the 3GB variant. Regarding the CPU in this moment I won't get any Intel Core because they have a shortage of units (and their prices went up, glad to have paid my i5 8600K just 165€ some months ago), an AMD Ryzen 2600 will do the job easily. 

In this moment I have a  4-years old GTX 970 that should be less powerful than a GTX 1060 6GB and I have no problems at all in every single game.

HisNameIsMilad
2 hours ago, Wolver_321 said:

Yeah, it's definetely a good card for 1080p, you'll be able to reach 60 FPS on every game without lowering too much the graphics. But pay attention that there are 2 models of GTX 1060: the one with 3GB of VRAM and the one with 6 GB of VRAM. If you have enough money, buy the 6GB model, in some scenarios it demolishes the 3GB variant. Regarding the CPU in this moment I won't get any Intel Core because they have a shortage of units (and their prices went up, glad to have paid my i5 8600K just 165€ some months ago), an AMD Ryzen 2600 will do the job easily. 

In this moment I have a  4-years old GTX 970 that should be less powerful than a GTX 1060 6GB and I have no problems at all in every single game.

Thanks for all the info man it’s much much appreciated! 👍🏽

Will either of those rams provide a decent graphics & frame rate ? Just curious 

Wolver_321
7 hours ago, HisNameIsMilad said:

Thanks for all the info man it’s much much appreciated! 👍🏽

Will either of those rams provide a decent graphics & frame rate ? Just curious 

Are you talking about the VRAM of the graphic cards or the RAM modules? If you're talking about the VRAM, yes both models can give you a decent graphics and a rock solid 60 FPS... But if I were you, I'd buy the 6GB model, some games could benefit a lot with that amount of VRAM, 3GB IMO isn't a good choice in 2018. 

If you're talking about RAM, I'd personally go for 16GB with a good frequency, normally AMD CPUs work better with good RAMs. When you look at RAM, always look the frequency (that should be at least 3000 Mhz for me) and the latency (you'll be fine with a C16 or less, in this case the lower the better).

HisNameIsMilad
1 hour ago, Wolver_321 said:

Are you talking about the VRAM of the graphic cards or the RAM modules? If you're talking about the VRAM, yes both models can give you a decent graphics and a rock solid 60 FPS... But if I were you, I'd buy the 6GB model, some games could benefit a lot with that amount of VRAM, 3GB IMO isn't a good choice in 2018. 

If you're talking about RAM, I'd personally go for 16GB with a good frequency, normally AMD CPUs work better with good RAMs. When you look at RAM, always look the frequency (that should be at least 3000 Mhz for me) and the latency (you'll be fine with a C16 or less, in this case the lower the better).

So the gtx1060 isn’t actually mine it’s my siblings and I don’t know the meanings of RAM CPU VRAM etc I just know that her graphics card is 1060 if that helps

Wolver_321

VRAM is the Video RAM, in short words is the "memory" of a graphics card... Anyway if you want to know more about all the PC compinents, Google and tech sites are your friends.

Sadly we can't be 100% sure on what variant of GTX 1060 your siblings have, but don't worry too much about it. The 3GB model isn't awful at all, it's a good card that is more or less on the pairs of my GTX 970. But of course the 6GB model is better.

Give a check to the guys of Digital Foundry on Youtube, IMO they're very good when it comes to reviews and benchmarks... Just search "GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB Digital Foundry":

HisNameIsMilad

Is there a world of difference between 3gb and 6gb?

Wolver_321

It depends... In GTA IV you won't notice any difference at all, the game is old and poorly optimized, all the modern graphics cards have more or less the same performance (Maxed out: 40 FPS - Medium/High settings: 60-80 FPS). In more demanding games that use a lot of VRAM (high resolution textures, shadows, etc.) 3GB aren't enough, it's very easy to reach that limit in these days. In GTA V, for example, you'll probably see a good difference between 3GB and 6GB. 

For modern gaming you should take a graphics card with at least 4GB of VRAM, when a GTX 1060 with only 3GB reaches its limit it gets outperformed by a GTX 1050Ti with 4GB that in theory should be the "little brother" of the 1060. There's also the option to buy a used card, a GTX 970 in good conditions here costs 150€ (180$ more or less) and IMO has a lot more sense than a GTX 1060 3GB. Maybe you could also find a good deal for a GTX 1060 6GB, a RX570, a RX580, a RX 480 or a GTX 980, but remember that it's quite risky buy used graphics cards because of mining.

HisNameIsMilad

What’s mining ? And can I just buy a 6gb seperately?

Wolver_321

Mining is a process that aims to produce cryptocurrencies (such as Bitcoin and Ethereum) in which graphics cards play a big role. GPUs in this process are used at 100% for long periods of time that generally hurt the card's performance in the long run... And also expert miners know very well when a card is near to its end and when is the right moment for putting it on sale.

What do you mean by "buy 6GB separately"? The VRAM of a graphics card can't be expanded or just bought, it's integrated with the whole card!