Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,442 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Neon_Dreaming

Lesser Known Classics

Neon_Dreaming

This is a thread to talk about good movies which you think are unappreciated and relatively unknown.

My pick is The Wanderers.

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

Rubber is my second choice. A surreal adventure about a sentient tyre on a quest for love, who can also use psychic powers to explode those in his way.

Leftist Bastard

hobo with a shotgun isn't a classic but its 2 hours of roy batty going batty so like i'm down

The N. Bellic Man

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.

Neon_Dreaming

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.It's a good movie. Hope you can source a copy.

UshaB

Not exactly a classic but it's quite unknown and it is a fantastic film.

MV5BMTk4ODk5MTMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMy

Input

Thursday is one of my favorites. Came out during the time when everyone wanted to jump on the Tarantino/Pulp Fiction popularity. Even I had no idea it existed til earlier this year, but its really good if you dig the genre.

dq3IDbzUPjS6a46eFdPSzG82tZv.jpg

Femme Fatale

These gals know how to kick some ass.

ta2qqdW.jpg

Mr_Rager
Posted (edited)

a6b3ef9618b43408c901d6fc53c01214.jpg

It's not an obscure movie or anything, but Collateral is one of Michael Mann's best films, Tom Cruise is such an asshole in this movie. Don't see it brought up much anywhere lol.

Edited by Mr_Rager

TheFoxRiverFugitive
Posted (edited)

It's a really obscure film here in the US, mainly because it never got an official dub, but I consider Arashi no Yoru Ni (Japanese for "One Stormy Night") to be a classic. It's an animated children's film based on a book series with a really important virtue of overcoming stereotypes and having value in friendships. It's about a goat, Mei, and a wolf, Gabu, who stumble into a barn "one stomy night" and can't see each other, and they find out they have a lot in common. They agree to meet the next day outside the barn in the daylight, and although they're surprised at first to see what species the other is, they become fast friends, even though Gabu is tempted a few times to eat Mei. Eventually, their tribes find out about the friendship and try to force them to trap each other, they run away together to find a land where there friendship wouldn't be frowned upon. It's a really touching story and stands alongside a lot of Disney films as a classic for me.

230px-Arashi_no_Yoru_Ni.jpg

Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive

Mister Pink

I haven't seen The Wanderers, looks great!

Underrated or lesser-known classics for me...

Dead Man's Shoes

This is a horror revenge film shot in about 2 weeks staring Paddy Consedine and written by acclaimed writer/director Shane Meadows who also wrote This Is England film and TV series. It's got all those great elements of a realism film, using mostly unknown actors, shot on location and principle photography being shot very quickly. It's a film set in the midlands in England and it might not be cater to larger US audience but it does really resonate with film heads a lot due to the realism style, peppered with dark humour mixed with violence and genuinely sad and touching moments. It was put out on the Warp label which is mostly a music label (Aphex Twin being on of their flagship artists) but they have a film division and Warp usually put out very original content. It also has one of most compelling performances from Paddy Consedine and has one of the best "f*ck off" scenes in cinema.

Here's a non-spoilery clip.. just shows the power of Consedine's acting even when he isn't saying much at all... Highly recommended viewing.

image.jpg

Night Machine

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made. It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.

Edited by Night Machine

Mr_Rager

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made. It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.

The Van is some essential 70s comfy kino

Edited by Mr_Rager

Mister Pink

Great cast in this Irish film with Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney, Cillian Murphy and Michael McElhatton who plays Roose Bolton from Game of Thrones. Also has Scotish actresses Kelly McDonald and Shirly Henderson.

Leftist Bastard

62f5047a-aea8-4628-8579-37a7c6879d4d.jpg

pedophilia aside

Algonquin Assassin

MV5BMTYwMTQ3MTU0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU5

Im not sure if this really classified as a classic being that it was released in 2013, but its a movie I dont see many people talk about at all. Considering the star studded cast Im surprised it doesnt.

Ive seen it a number times and it gets better with every watch. Its basically Pulp Fiction with red necks. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Mister Pink

Sexy Beast (2000)

gallery-1461678361-sexy-beast-original.j

Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone give two of their best performances. It's got an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes but it's often overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_xTC5Gc2U

Edited by Mister Pink

Neon_Dreaming

Sexy Beast (2000)

gallery-1461678361-sexy-beast-original.j

Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone give two of their best performances. It's got an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes but it's often overlooked.

Good choice, saw it for the second time recently. It's a great watch. Kingsley is chilling as a wound up psycho.

Sexy_Beast_rabbit.jpg Always though this Donnie Darko like creature was an interesting addition. Creepy af though.

Mister Pink

Oh sh*t. I completely forgot about that. You know, I'm due a re-watch myself!

Halal Cyborg

The limey and Dark City

feckyerlife

Mister Pink

Animal Kingdom is a great choice.

Another great Aussie flick is Snowtown although it's a bit grim but really f*cking good. Remember seeing Animal Kingdom and Snowtown in the same week. Aussies make some good films, most recently I watched Hounds of Love. Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

But yeah.. I second Animal Kingdom, if none of you have watched it, go do it. Ben Mendelsohn is one of best actors around these days.

Edited by Mister Pink

Algonquin Assassin

Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

Yes. Yes we do. :cool:

Speaking of which since our tastes in movies are so much a like dude I think you'd get a kick out this Aussie flick that you may not have heard of/seen before..

Should be up your alley. :)

Also this is worth watching..

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Leftist Bastard

Animal Kingdom is a great choice.

Another great Aussie flick is Snowtown although it's a bit grim but really f*cking good. Remember seeing Animal Kingdom and Snowtown in the same week. Aussies make some good films, most recently I watched Hounds of Love. Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

But yeah.. I second Animal Kingdom, if none of you have watched it, go do it. Ben Mendelsohn is one of best actors around these days.

I really liked him in Killing Them Softly and speaking of which, that movie definitely qualifies.

D9fred95

Highway to Hell

The main character and his girlfriend are going to Las Vegas to get married and she gets kidnapped by the Hellcop, who kinda looks like if Freddy Kruger joined the LAPD, so Satan could have a bride. So the guy needs to use a special car so he can travel to Hell to save her. Hell is depicted as a desert wasteland where everyone's a dickhead and drives VW Beetles. Think Mad Max but with more demons.

It's hard to find though, probably due to it sharing it's name with the AC/DC's album.

Edited by D9fred95

Richard Power Colt

They Live. It's not super obscure, but as far as John Carpenter films go I feel like it's underappreciated. It's just one of the most fun campy action films I've seen.

This fight scene in particular is f*cking hilarious:

Mister Pink

In Bruges

I wouldn't say this is lesser known.. well, perhaps a little bit. But I think it fits the criteria of being a classic. It was received well by critics and audiences alike, it's garnered a sort of cult status too. It's a genius tragic-comedy about a two hitmen, hiding out in Bruges, Belgium. Written by none other than Martin McDonagh (6 Shooter, Three Billboards). Each watching this film just gets better and better for me.

Edited by Mister Pink

Bartleby

The limey and Dark City

Dark City is a masterpiece, and definitely in my top ten all-time. I first watched that film at work on a slow night about ten years ago, knowing NOTHING about it going in. Holy sh*t, what an experience. It's great for multiple viewings too, since it's not the kind of film to hold your hand throughout the whole thing, it leaves you to keep up as the story evolves. Really well-paced, aesthetically brilliant, and perfectly-executed film, in my opinion. For those who want to see it, do yourself a favor and do no research about it at all. Just watch it.

Halal Cyborg

The limey and Dark City

Dark City is a masterpiece, and definitely in my top ten all-time. I first watched that film at work on a slow night about ten years ago, knowing NOTHING about it going in. Holy sh*t, what an experience. It's great for multiple viewings too, since it's not the kind of film to hold your hand throughout the whole thing, it leaves you to keep up as the story evolves. Really well-paced, aesthetically brilliant, and perfectly-executed film, in my opinion. For those who want to see it, do yourself a favor and do no research about it at all. Just watch it.

The new version is better given it got shot of the voiceover which strangely was the super cool sample as used by distance and dkay.

jaljax

Watched this classic a couple day's ago , a really good movie & based on a true story.

220px-At_close_range_poster.jpg

Darth Yokel
Posted (edited)

To Live and Die in L.A. is the definition of a lesser known classic. It's most definitely considered a classic, but it's remarkable how many people don't seem to have seen it or remember it.

True Romance is in a similar situation, at least in my neck of the woods. It's definitely a cult classic but I thought that it was more famous than it apparently is, considering the cast and the fact that it was written by Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott. Yet every time I try to talk to people about it, it turns out that they've never seen it.

Edited by Darth Yokel