2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Penguin Bob

Catalina is the #1 bitch on the universe.

Evil empire

The ony thing I would blame Rockstar for about Catalina is the fact she doesn't appear more oftenly in GTA 3 and San Andreas.

RetroMystic

The ony thing I would blame Rockstar for about Catalina is the fact she doesn't appear more oftenly in GTA 3 and San Andreas.

She should definitely have appeared more in SA but not III.

In 3 she was always an ominous threat and the point of the entire game was following a breadcrumb trail which eventually lead directly to her.

watersgta3

Honestly, I really don't understand what Catalina's role would be if she appeared more in the game considering CJ only worked for her to gain access to the garage in SF.

Am Shaegar

CJ only worked for her to gain access to the garage in SF.

Where does the game say CJ was working with her to gain access to the garage in SF?

RetroMystic

Honestly, I really don't understand what Catalina's role would be if she appeared more in the game considering CJ only worked for her to gain access to the garage in SF.

Where does the game say CJ was working with her to gain access to the garage in SF?

Gonna have to agree with Am Shaegar on this one.

CJ only got ownership of the Doherty garage out of circumstance because he beat Claude in the race. CJ was working with Catalina strictly for money which was made pretty clear, plus some other benefits on the side, and if she was in the game more she could have been used as liberally as the developers wanted, doing more jobs with her and such.

Edited by RetroMystic

watersgta3

CJ only worked for her to gain access to the garage in SF.

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly. What I meant is that Catalina didn't seem to have any importance to the storyline other than CJ working with her for money for whatever reason and just happened to be the one who provides him the garage.

Seriously, though, outside of that, Catalina wouldn't have a role in the story at all if she had appeared more since she has no real importance in the storyline other than the sake of being another recurring character.

CountdownIIExtinction

I don't agree. Catalina is one of the coolest GTA characters ever. I wish there was a badass bitch like that in GTAIV and V-

By the way this penguin sh*t sucks. You should edit your sh*t.

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DK06282000 said:

I honestly don't understand why even a single person likes Ryder. The guy has treated CJ like sh*t since the start of the game and even called him a liability (which is very annoying). Also, he criticizes CJ so much and picks on his driving a lot. How could anyone like this asshole at all?! If someone was talking sh*t to you IRL, you wouldn't like them either, would you? Honestly, Ryder is a very annoying character with an annoying attitude and a very annoying voice. He has no purpose in the game at all, and his design is wack! He's the only character of the game who had no point in the story at all, and if I had to be honest, the game would've been sooooo much better if it didn't have him in it, because he ruined the first half of the story! I don't understand how and why anyone likes this character....at all!

If you think Ryder is annoying, just wait until you get to Catalina. Catalina had no point to the story and she criticizes CJ's driving WAY MORE than Ryder. She even pointed a gun at him. Sure, Ryder was a little bit of an asshole but at least he was a good kind.

OT: I think he died at the exact right time. Sure, it would have been cooler if you get to kill him and Smoke on the final mission, or better yet, he should have sided up with CJ, but it was nice to kill him at Pier 69 with a boat chase. The one thing I didn't like is that he didn't have enough dialogue on the mission.

Edited by Penguin Bob

TheSantader25
3 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

If you think Ryder is annoying, just wait until you get to Catalina. Catalina had no point to the story and she criticizes CJ's driving WAY MORE than Ryder. She even pointed a gun at him. Sure, Ryder was a little bit of an asshole but at least he was a good kind.

OT: I think he died at the exact right time. Sure, it would have been cooler if you get to kill him and Smoke on the final mission, or better yet, he should have sided up with CJ, but it was nice to kill him at Pier 69 with a boat chase. The one thing I didn't like is that he didn't have enough dialogue on the mission.

How did catalina had no point in the story? That part was to show a little bit of the events before GTA 3 . it's a companion part to GTA 3 . it's like saying EFLC was completely pointless. 

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

How did catalina had no point in the story? That part was to show a little bit of the events before GTA 3 . it's a companion part to GTA 3 . it's like saying EFLC was completely pointless. 

Because robbing stores with her was kinda pointless. If SA had a actual robbing mechanic, then CJ should've done it himself. In fact, he could have robbed the stores himself. Mission wise of course.

Edited by Penguin Bob

TheSantader25
Just now, Penguin Bob said:

Because robbing stores with her was kinda pointless. If SA had a actual robbing mechanic, then CJ should've done it himself. In fact, he could have robbed the stores himself.

CJ needed money and he didn't know anything about that area. Catalina knew where to Rob so she showed CJ the places to rob and they did it together. 

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

CJ needed money and he didn't know anything about that area. Catalina knew where to Rob so she showed CJ the places to rob and they did it together. 

Oh. Well, regardless, she's still annoying as hell.

Edited by Penguin Bob

Am Shaegar
43 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

Because robbing stores with her was kinda pointless. If SA had a actual robbing mechanic, then CJ should've done it himself. In fact, he could have robbed the stores himself. Mission wise of course.

Looks like you didn't understand the context in which the missions and her introduction (in SA) were created. Even a kid would know why CJ had to rob the stores irrespective of whether that involved Catalina or not. By your logic every robbery in the series should have been given for the protagonist to carry out himself. You can't expect the game to come up with a "mechanic" for every activity, unless it is a side mission or task altogether. Its a part of the story and I don't know what kind of a special "robbing mechanic" should have been introduced? They rob the stores the way you expect a group of criminals to rob. 

@ topic - A character is annoying only when it serves absolutely no purpose in the story. Ryder has a role to play, except that it seems his "role" had undergone some changes that should not have taken place, or should have been handled in a much better way. In my opinion, Ryder is a fool and presented as a crack head. While I understand the reasons of him joining Big Smoke, but I don't think he should have died at hands of CJ. He should have made a return somewhere in the story, like CJ able to convince him to leave Smoke's partnership and something like that. Killing him was not the right thing to do because he was genuinely an interesting character that could have been developed further to make his involvement in the grove street families more stronger and ever lasting. I would have preferred to see CJ and Ryder's friendship grow into the story despite the highs and lows over Cesar anyday.

Crossbones

I think Catalina was fine. She wasn't a bitch, but CJ behaved like a bitch around her, like when she puts a gun at CJ's head and even rapes him. This is one of the thing I don't like about SA, CJ's inconsistency. At one moment he is burying a guy alive for cat-calling Kendl and at one moment he is getting raped. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

I think Catalina was fine. She wasn't a bitch, but CJ behaved like a bitch around her, like when she puts a gun at CJ's head and even rapes him. This is one of the thing I don't like about SA, CJ's inconsistency. At one moment he is burying a guy alive for cat-calling Kendl and at one moment he is getting raped. 

You do realize that the person CJ is burying is a harmless construction worker but the person who is raping him is a Psycho right? It makes sense for CJ to get f*cked by one and f*ck the other. It sorta works like a pyramid. 

On the sidenote, CJ is the only protagonist in the series(maybe besides Franklin) who doesn't only gain wealth through the story but learns a lot as well. His skills Evolve and Improve so much. He turns from a normal gangster with potential, to a highly skilled all-rounder criminal. SA story is the longest in the series because Carl's journey takes such a long time improving his skills around a massive map with huge events. 

The skills you can improve aren't a joke just to say that 'yeah, we have RPG elements'. They are there because they make sense for Carl's improvement. They return again in V because we have another protagonist who improves throughout the story. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Crossbones

I agree that we cannot compare CJ at different stages of the game. At the start he is just a petty gangbanger but he improves as time passes. But, the CJ working with Catalina is the same CJ who rescued his brother from a motel which was full of SWAT armed with MP5K, got involved in high speed car chase with all of the LSPD, fought the Russian Mafia, rescued a girl from a fully burning house, broke into Madd Dogg's mansion, killed almost every guard in there and rescued Sweet from the Ballas ambush. 

Am Shaegar
41 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

. At one moment he is burying a guy alive for cat-calling Kendl and at one moment he is getting raped. 

I think there's inconsistency in your comparisons. The part where he's burying the guy alive happens only after you complete all the missions strands of Catalina. Its not happening later. 

TheSantader25
11 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

I agree that we cannot compare CJ at different stages of the game. At the start he is just a petty gangbanger but he improves as time passes. But, the CJ working with Catalina is the same CJ who rescued his brother from a motel which was full of SWAT armed with MP5K, got involved in high speed car chase with all of the LSPD, fought the Russian Mafia, rescued a girl from a fully burning house, broke into Madd Dogg's mansion, killed almost every guard in there and rescued Sweet from the Ballas ambush. 

But this still doesn't change the fact that the guy Carl is burying is a normal Citizen but catalina is a psychopath. You can't compare these two situations. Carl is stronger than one of them so he buries him. He is weaker than the other(or simply doesn't want to kill Cesar's cousin because that would cause conflict. And we all know killing her was the only way carl could escape her)  so he obeys her orders. 

Crossbones
14 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

But all this happens before meeting Catalina. So, it clearly shows CJ is a badass at one moment and at other moment he is totally different. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

But all this happens before meeting Catalina. So, it clearly shows CJ is a badass at one moment and at other moment he is totally different. 

CJ also NEEDS Catalina. Unlike many think CJ actually is a smart protagonist. He acted like a Bitch because he needed money and he needed her to Rob places. So he played it nice to keep her happy. As soon as he found other ways to make money(races) he dumped her for good. He definitely could deal with her ass but since He NEEDED HER at the moment he played it cool. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Crossbones

You are absolutely right that CJ needed Catalina, as he needed money and dumped her when he found some other ways of making money. But, acting like a bitch doesn't fits CJ's character which he shows in the most part of the game, especially the part where he pleads Catalina for letting him go. No one would act smart when a gun is pointed at their head, but bitching so much for letting him go and apologising like a little kid doesn't feels right.  

TheSantader25
48 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

You are absolutely right that CJ needed Catalina, as he needed money and dumped her when he found some other ways of making money. But, acting like a bitch doesn't fits CJ's character which he shows in the most part of the game, especially the part where he pleads Catalina for letting him go. No one would act smart when a gun is pointed at their head, but bitching so much for letting him go and apologising like a little kid doesn't feels right.  

CJ is dealing with a psycho. He has to act like a Bitch to make her feel better otherwise they couldn't rob those places together. CJ is not dealing with an ordinary criminal. He is dealing with Woman who is nuts. You can't reason with people like Catalina. How doesn't it fit his character?Throughout the story CJ proves numerous times that he has a flexible character and is willing to do anything to reach what he wants. CJ was "role-playing". That's what smart people do. They act like a person they aren't to fool others and get what they want. 

Crossbones

He was acting like a bitch to make Catalina feel better ? Ahh, man I don't get that. No doubt he is smart, but acting like a bitch ain't a smart move IMO. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

He was acting like a bitch to make Catalina feel better ? Ahh, man I don't get that. No doubt he is smart, but acting like a bitch ain't a smart move IMO. 

Imagine if he didn't act like a Bitch. LikeHe acts like a tough motherf*cker. Catalina would freak the f*ck out-->results in a fight. Catalina probably dies. CJ doesn't get his money. 

Catalina is pretty similar to Trevor. So if you can't understand it replace catalina with Trevor. Imagine if someone acts like a tough guy(which CJ is) in front of Trevor. He would freak out and kill him. This method doesn't work against psychopaths like Trevor amd Catalina. You always have to act like they have some "control" over you and wait for the right moment to dump them. Otherwise you'll be turned into their food. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Crossbones

Alright, man. I am still not totally agreed but that's makes some sense, acting tough in front of psychopaths is not always the best option. 👍

Am Shaegar

I think people are needlessly over exaggerating those moments. CJ was looking for some work to get back on his feet, and Cesar's cousin is the only "acquaintance" in the countryside. Sure, CJ could have done by himself but this is a video game, and stories need to contain some drama, some interesting twists or surprises. 

Secondly, such moments help to explore the character even more. Its another side of CJ that the game explores and the way CJ handled Catalina was just totally unexpected. CJ acted smart enough to use her in getting the money that he required to pay Truth, while still pissing her off in the race by beating his boyfriend. Like Tommy said, "I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you", and exactly what CJ did to Catalina so much so that she continued to call CJ. Its clear from CJ's response to Catalina's phone calls that she needed to get psychological help, and as TheSantader25 explained, CJ played with her all along without losing his cool and tolerated her simply because the situation demanded that CJ continued to rob banks together and make some money after being forcee to leave LS.

Its so simple to understand.

DirtCheap
3 hours ago, Crossbones said:

Whaaaaat? Since when did Catalina rape CJ? She just ties him up and then whips him, which she really enjoys. Not once did she do anything to him sexually. 

But other than that, I agree that the Catalina parts of the story in a way ruined CJ’s character a slight bit. Throughout the game, he’s a One Man Army, yet he begs some idiot with a pistol not to shoot him (would’ve liked him to stay calm and collected rather than showing her he’s scared).

Crossbones
4 minutes ago, DirtCheap said:

Whaaaaat? Since when did Catalina rape CJ? She just ties him up and then whips him, which she really enjoys. Not once did she do anything to him sexually. 

But other than that, I agree that the Catalina parts of the story in a way ruined CJ’s character a slight bit. Throughout the game, he’s a One Man Army, yet he begs some idiot with a pistol not to shoot him (would’ve liked him to stay calm and collected rather than showing her he’s scared).

Haha, damn. She just whips him, I thought all that was sex, because I never heard the sound of whip hitting CJ. 

And I agree that CJ should've stayed calm and diffused the situation without bitching and apologising to Catalina.

lil weasel

This Topic is about Catalina, Do Not change the Discussion.

Am Shaegar

Woozie was responding to CJ's question, "what's happening". They are meeting for the race event, not a parade. I am not sure that has anything to do with CJs status. Woozie is a blind man and he might have sensed something about CJ's voice that he mentioned about parade, not really intended as a personal remark in my opinion. Maybe CJ's curiousity, who knows?

On the point of being powerful, CJ is a strong and dynamic individual that IS actually not seen as an unstoppable force by the people of LS initially. That's why we have a respect level for CJ. He has to EARN it. As seen in the beginning of the story, Sweet, Ryder and maybe other GSF homies in the background are also upset with CJ. Once CJ leaves the LS, the whole time CJ was working to rise in the eyes of his homies and friends/family, including the crime bosses like Woozie. Mission after mission (unlike Niko) CJ was evolving from a street thug to a more respectable criminal, trained in martial arts, and gained a sense of responsibility towards his family for restoring the families' power to full glory.

Regarding Catalina, CJ knew that she was having problems as mentioned in his responses to her phone calls. What people seem to take lightly is her relation with Cesar. Maybe CJ simply didn't want to invite any more troubles after already going through a tough phase. CJ can also be seen as a guy with a good sense of humour. The way he was talking to Catalina when the gun was aimed at him, and even during the mission Gone Courting, I thought CJ was just playing with her. Not taking those moments seriously. Trying to be more romantic without pissing her off to the point that could lead the situation out if control.  That's how CJ is. A cool, level headed guy who reacts according to what the situation demands of him. Being a young and single guy I guess CJ thought that's the best way to deal with a woman, whether she's a psycho or not.

@lil weasel Just one last time. Let me respond. I will also answer the topic in my post.