2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

mombo2811

Someone posted screenshots of RDR 2009 preview build

Spider-Vice

This is a relic! Beta/pre-release Rockstar content is very hard to come by, and nowadays they just invite journalists probably to avoid stuff like this. Hope he keeps it safe and he should back it up carefully. A lot of obscure gaming/beta builds communities would love this.

The only thing I can think of that comes close to this is the builds CarsonGT has of GTA V, in the V beta hunt, but those are all jumbled in the hard drive of a dev kit. And also a GTA SA developer build that came about a few years ago, but the person who tried to buy that dev kit got scammed iirc.

Edited by Spider-Vice

mombo2811

This is a relic! Beta/pre-release Rockstar content is very hard to come by, and nowadays they just invite journalists probably to avoid stuff like this. Hope he keeps it safe and he should back it up carefully. A lot of obscure gaming/beta builds communities would love this.

The only thing I can think of that comes close to this is the builds CarsonGT has of GTA V, in the V beta hunt, but those are all jumbled in the hard drive of a dev kit. And also a GTA SA developer build that came about a few years ago, but the person who tried to buy that dev kit got scammed iirc.

Links to any of the things u just mentioned?

Hmmm nice bike

I always loved finding out information regarding beta and pre-release content from games that I'm a fan of. Is there any particular reason why Rockstar seems more stingy about that type of content compared to other companies? Or are they just being pretentious? Volition, for example, did livestreams where they played pre-release builds of the Saints Row games and discussed some of the changes in development that took place. These games were released ages ago, I figured after a certain amount of time that they wouldn't even care anymore if someone found some files or models relating to the beta version.

And wasn't there someone who was trying to get a dev kit build of GTA IV as well?

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Spider-Vice

Rockstar is known for having a bit of an ego and very strict NDA's, so they care a lot about their assets even if it's the creator of these assets showing them off (i.e. an artist or something showing art on his portfolio).

As for the IV devkit, it ended up being a fluke. It was just a retail build with a changed executable name, which is a shame.

Hmmm nice bike

You can definitely tell that the company as a whole has an ego (likely due to Sam Houser's personality and style, from what I've read about him he seems to be secretive and egotistical, which reminds me of his company). Among other things, the disc for that RDR preview build says "CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL" under the Rockstar logo. I have to admit, I thought that was pretty funny. I know it was for an unreleased game and that those aren't supposed to be leaked due to copyright and such, but it's not exactly the nuclear codes that are on that disc.

Domand

When your dealing with Rockstar....everything’s confidential as if it were nuclear codes.

Spider-Vice

The soundtrack stuff is normal for Rockstar as it also happens in GTA. Music is licenced very close to the end of development. As for the story changes, I mean, that was a preview build, they wouldn't be showing key story elements to the press like the actual true ending.

Darealbandicoot

I wonder if he has all outfits unlocked for John? Like the US Marshall and Bureau uniform?

Hmmm nice bike

I was not really surprised when my horse began crazy rotating with the world around and player fell through the textures, but when I saw rotating train and green-purple sky it was rather… unpredictable.

Red Dead always did have hilarious, drug trip-like glitches, and it's nice to know that press preview builds were no exception to this.

Darealbandicoot

Has Rockstar struck this poor soul with a C&D I wonder?

Edited by Darealbandicoot

Spider-Vice

Rockstar asked ObscureGamers to take beta content down iirc, along with EA and others. However it looks like the admin team acted in haste and some content is coming back, maybe the RDR thread is one of them.

mombo2811

Rockstar asked ObscureGamers to take beta content down, along with EA and others. However it looks like the admin team acted in haste and some content is coming back, maybe the RDR thread is one of them.

dont you have a mirror or anything?

Spider-Vice

Nope, sorry.

Edit: Copied from the new site rules and also this

Regarding the recent banning of developer content, This was due to some raids by Rockstar/Take-Two games and Electronic Arts. To protect users it was deemed best to put a temporary ban on this.