Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,897 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

DirtCheap

Was Franklin added in later on in development?

DirtCheap

I also don't really care that much about the transitions (except for a few of Trevor's) but what I'm trying to say that is that in comparison to M and T's transitions, Franklin's ones really lacked any creativity. Franklin DID have some interesting transitions during his ghetto storyline (seeing him stopping a fight between Lamar and some Ballas made me think this was meant to show his "gangbanger" character- boy was I wrong). But as soon as he had a mansion, his transitions just showed him cleaning a car or patting a shirt, which was really dumb as these transitions could've developed his character more.

Official General

I also don't really care that much about the transitions (except for a few of Trevor's) but what I'm trying to say that is that in comparison to M and T's transitions, Franklin's ones really lacked any creativity. Franklin DID have some interesting transitions during his ghetto storyline (seeing him stopping a fight between Lamar and some Ballas made me think this was meant to show his "gangbanger" character- boy was I wrong). But as soon as he had a mansion, his transitions just showed him cleaning a car or patting a shirt, which was really dumb as these transitions could've developed his character more.

I don't see why. If Franklin now lives a supreme life of luxury, multimillion-dollar mansion in a most upscale neighbourhood, why on earth would you expect to see him in switch scenes that involve him still getting up to no good in the grimy ghetto streets and alleyways ? Rockstar messed up the development of Franklin via his largely insignificant part in the poorly structured story and very short length of it, and once that happened, nothing about him could have been developed into something substantial.

Piggsy pls

Trevor was the last one added according to Dan Houser.

I wonder if Franklin had a bigger role in an earlier version of the story. We know Lamar did (his VA confirmed that in a reddit AMA) so it would make sense if Franklin did as well. Plus there's that pre-release screen that shows him chasing down the plane in Caida Libre instead of Trevor.

Deadman2112

So while replaying the game, I noticed Franklin in some missions involving M and T does very little work. Here are some examples:

Not necessarily...

In 3s Company, you can remain using F

...even switch back to him

If your quick on the draw, you can even snipe 1 maybe 2 extra chopper/s

Making M & Ts escape that much easier

Edited by Deadman2112

ChiroVette

So while replaying the game, I noticed Franklin in some missions involving M and T does very little work. Here are some examples:

Not necessarily...

In 3s Company, you can remain using F

...even switch back to him

If your quick on the draw, you can even snipe 1 maybe 2 extra chopper/s

Making M & Ts escape that much easier

In the Merrywheather Heist, I have replayed that MANY times, doing the mission different ways, and if you start at the front of the boat, sniping everyone while they are out of view of their thug AI partners, you can make Michael's part, planting the explosives, a real cakewalk. You can do battle up close and personal as Michael, or you can really clear the way for him as Franklin.

I know this mission gets a lot of flack from some people in the forum, because there is no financial payout, but I think this is an amazing mission, and a shinning example of how to use the protagonists in different ways to make the mission a different experience in subsequent playthroughs.

PapaFuerte

I believe Frankin was the first and main protagonist. Then Michael was written in to give support to F's narrative ark. Trevor probably came in last to add more to the story and give support Michael's narrative ark. All creating an interwoven story but allowing for all three characters to be separate at the same time.

I don't believe it started with Michael because he did not have any ambition to have "GTA" motives, stealing cars, killing etc. That was behind him, his character was the post GTA protagonist. That's why I believe he was written in as a support character for F.

There is more I can say but thats the jist of my thoughts.

That being said, we know that Lamar was suppose to replace F at the end of the game so... Who knows. I wish R released a book on their game development of at least the story, where they started etc, beta.

MARKUS.

To be honest considering he appeared on first trailer. I am thinking more about if the subject that appear on late development was Trevor instead.

Maybe when they did launch the first trailer they didnt even reach far beyond the first heist on storyline

Edited by Markhosdangerous

Official General

To be honest considering he appeared on first trailer. I am thinking more about if the subject that appear on late development was Trevor instead.

Maybe when they did launch the first trailer they didnt even reach far beyond the first heist on storyline

It's a fact that Franklin was created before Trevor, and that Trevor came last - its not even something to think about. The game's creators said this themselves in previews.

Edited by Official General

Officer Ronson

Franklin is just there to be the spectator of Michael's and Trevor's catfight. Sadly he doesn't really have any ambitions beyond that of getting money and a big house, two-bit gangbaging to him is just another way of keeping him ''down'' on the loop of failed opportunities because the people around him are too comfortable with were they are that any attempts to break out are just seen as treachery.

Thinking about it, the game probably had begun with Michael's and Franklin's Father-Son relationship in mind as the central plot point, but as soon as Trevor was introduced they deemed the chemestry far more interesting and so Franklin took a more backstage position in later stages.

Garju67

I dont think thats how video game development works, the storyline was probably written way before they started making the game.

To give you an example, the builds.xml file present in the original PS3 release mention that the mission « Dead Man Walking played through ok on beta and bankrelease » in the changelog for the July 7th 2011 build and we all know that this mission is playable some time after the first heist.

Anyway, still in the builds.xml file, this is the order of mention of each character. That doesnt mean anything as far as which character was introduced first but it does mean that the three characters were planned way before the game was even announced, take a look :

-Michael was mentioned for the first time in the changelog for the June 1st 2011 build : « Includes new Michael character model. »

-Franklin was mentioned for the first time in the changelog for the June 13th 2011 build : « Includes new Franklin model. »

-Trevor was mentioned for the first time in the changelog for the July 4th 2011 build : « Issues with melee combat lock on seen with Franklin and Trevor, this can be worked around by spawning a weapon set with W and selecting the melee again. »

Edited by Garju67

Journey_95

Yeah he kind of lacks character. Michael and Trevor have much more depth (even if the latter is cartoony), Rockstar probably added Franklin to appeal to younger gamers/SA fanboys.

I believe Frankin was the first and main protagonist. Then Michael was written in to give support to F's narrative ark. Trevor probably came in last to add more to the story and give support Michael's narrative ark. All creating an interwoven story but allowing for all three characters to be separate at the same time.

I don't believe it started with Michael because he did not have any ambition to have "GTA" motives, stealing cars, killing etc. That was behind him, his character was the post GTA protagonist. That's why I believe he was written in as a support character for F.

There is more I can say but thats the jist of my thoughts.

That being said, we know that Lamar was suppose to replace F at the end of the game so... Who knows. I wish R released a book on their game development of at least the story, where they started etc, beta.

Yeah but thats not how the story actually is..Franklin's "narrative" arc is lackluster to say the least and he ended up being the support character. The focus is clearly on Michael and Trevor's relationship. If anyone is the true main protagonist its Michael since most of the story happens because of him

Edited by Journey_95

A.C.M.

Michael since most of the story happens because of him

and this is why i made my last savefile after getting 100% as michael, seems suitable character to wrap up the game and load back in to.

Electrochoc

both Michael and Franklin have no desire to commit a crime. The only reason they commit crime is we are controlling them.

Trevor here is opposite to them. Even when we are not controlling him: He kills people, sexually abusing everything he sees, get chased by cops, torture people, getting banned from clubs etc.

Franklin & Michael both sits on their asses all day. Franklin has also imaginary friends to talk.

No surprise why Trevor added as the last character.

Edited by Electrochoc

Neo Arcadia

I distinctly remember in pre-release interviews it was stated they designed Michael first, then Franklin, and lastly Trevor. Or rather, originally it was going to be just Michael and Franklin. Then they came up with Trevor and the story changed to primarily be about him and Michael, not Franklin and Michael.

Journey_95

Franklin could have been way better. Michael & Franklin's mentor student relationship had potential but they wasted it as soon as Trevor came in.

Edited by Journey_95