Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,095 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Cosmic Gypsy

I want to talk about the direction GTA seems to be heading in.

KingD19

I seen the trailer and was like :| because i expect this out of rockstar for a while . But you do have to give them the thumbs up for taking open world multiplayer and transforming it into something way bigger then just roaming around the city and killing.It's whats selling the best so why would they care about doing something different

I dont really care about what direction their going in anymore or what their doing in the future unless its them putting in effort for a single player dlc which wont happen

Edited by KingD19

Cosmic Gypsy

I seen the trailer and was like :| because i expect this out of rockstar for a while . But you do have to give them the thumbs up for taking open world multiplayer and transforming it into something way bigger then just roaming around the city and killing.It's whats selling the best so why would they care about doing something different

They haven't made it way bigger than just killing at all, all these new additions are nothing but driving and killing machines, just ones set in a fantasy, unrelated world. Making it well bigger than just killing would mean improving core aspects of the game to include criminal activities that you could just choose to take part in without triggering a scripted and predetermined mission.

Edited by Cosmic Gypsy

Yinepi

They haven't made it way bigger than just killing at all, all these new additions are nothing but driving and killing machines, just ones set in a fantasy, unrelated world. Making it well bigger than just killing would mean improving core aspects of the game to include criminal activities that you could just choose to take part in without triggering a scripted and predetermined mission.

Rockstar will likely never make drastic improvements to this area unless the series stops selling well. But that is unlikely as they pay people to over promote the series and give it 10s. I mean honestly. When the last time a GTA game deserved a ten? 2004?

It's a problem with not just Rockstar but this entire damnable industry now. Release the same thing with a new name and introduce a gimmicky "new" mechanic and it will sell millions. Rockstar are unwilling to overhaul core aspects of the game because it will change a working formula and that may drastically effect sales. Instead they brief the staff on how to simplify mechanics to appeal to an even bigger audience. Grand Theft Auto is on a proverbial deathbed for most because they don't improve the game mechanics that are important to the core. Instead of focusing on doing a spectacular job of their core mechanics, they are trying to do too much and appeal to too many people causing many of their game mechanics to become poorly implemented and potential to be wasted.

Edited by Yinepi

Darkshadows

Online could benefit so so SO much from the gang aspect, mafias vs gangstas vs bikers vs whatever f*cking criminal group you wanna be. Rockstar instead decided to focus in some sci-fi army secret agent spec ops type of sh*t.

I wouldn't have any problem if the game was originally sold as a half sci-fi/crime game but the game was sold as a game about criminals in a virtual representation of L.A set in OUR time.

*smashes door*

TheOneLibertonian

First off, I would like to get this off my chest. I love GTA, I love almost all of Rockstar's work and passion to bring out their creative vision to life, the GTA series of games gives me satisfaction that many other games fail to do so. As a passionate fan of GTA like many people here are, it disappoints and saddens me that the direction and approach of the series has turned into something that is so un-GTA as possible. I seriously can't believe that it's sheer focus is now on monetizing and milking the "GTA" name rather than artistic vision that Rockstar so well prided upon. Seriously, flying cars, flying bikes, Batmobiles, Cloning, and stopping a megalomaniac from launching a nuke to save the world? GTA has turned into just as over the top if not more so than the so called "copycat" that was Saint's Row.

Before GTA V and Online released, Rockstar always relies and strives upon quality. They make games not just to entice players to have fun in a massive, lived-in open world, but also serves as a unique experience for players to get sucked into a world that is so strange, yet so eerily familiar at the same time combined with the ethos of cinema, politics, music, and pop culture while providing a subtle, yet humorous outlook at America. GTA is so unique and charming due to it's identity by setting trends and revolutionizing how far can games reach the upper echelon of the so called virtual reality.

Roger Ebert once said that video games cannot be art. During his time, games are very simple and provide amusement for people, but as soon as games started to get more and more life-like and cinematic with the fast outburst of progressive technology, us "basement dwellers' were finally treated to something that can be described as "art". Grand Theft Auto III is one of the games that revolutionized the gaming world. It had something else that no other game has done before. GTA III gave players the sense of immersion, providing freedom in a satirized sandbox rendition of New York City while presenting players with a cinematic story through the eyes of a criminal. Freedom, immersion, and deep storytelling are all the themes and cornerstones that set a precedent for the franchise to become something that can be called "Art", and that is what made the franchise so successful in the first place.

Nowadays, with the gaming industry getting bigger and bigger, with all the cancerous business practices that plaque the industry like loot boxes, microtransactions, low effort DLC's, and more. Rockstar decided to follow a successful trend from a business standpoint, and built GTA Online upon that practice. I can see why they are doing this, microtransactions are low effort, but can be used as a platform for easy monetization. First and foremost, they are a company, they strive from money and stocks from shareholders. I completely understand that from a monetary POV, but but as a gamer and a fan of the series, I can't help but feel that the special and remarkable traits of the series are starting to fade away in favor of tedious grinding, paywalls, and dull repetition. I'll be very honest, about a year ago, I was worried about the state of both Rockstar and GTA, but still remains cautiously optimistic about their future, but today I am not sure whether I can be hopeful about the series that I love and passionate about.

Edited by TheOneLibertonian

ChiroVette

Before GTA V and Online released, Rockstar always relies and strives upon quality.

I am honestly not the least bit worried about GTA as a franchise. I am not saying I agree with locking so much post-release content into Online, but so long as Rockstar continues to bring us the kind of robust SP launch game in GTA, like what we saw in V, then let them do whatever they please with Online. I don't have to agree with it. But I like to look at trends. Rockstar improved and expanded upon the SP experience in the 3D Era from III to VC to SA. And look how incredibly they objectively improved on GTA going from the lackluster IV to the awesome V.

I mean, that shows incredibly resilience and a deep and profound desire to continue bringing us a quality product, not to mention learning from some very bad mistakes. Both of those factors shows me that so long as that work ethic and creative energy is maintained, that the SP experience of GTA will only get better and better.

I think people are so angry about Online content being locked, and I will admit this is not something I agree with. And because of this they forget how wonderful of a launch title GTA V really is. I won't lie. If Rockstar improves on V even a fraction of how they improved going from IV to V, GTA will remain the blockbuster game it has been since 2001, even with a notable 2008 hiccup. I think that the GTA community, well okay, mostly the Chicken-Littles in this forum, just love to run around prophesying doom and gloom for a series whose last game was truly one of the best in franchise history.

Going by the stellar quality of GTA V, there is no doubt in my mind that even with all the freemium thuggery and paywalls, making the Online portion of the game so open to scorn, the SP component is still the best thing out there, and that includes even Saints Row, a franchise that may be my second favorite, behind GTA. I would say that GTA VI is going to be even better than V, and let me tell you something, that's not going to be easy to accomplish!

Edited by ChiroVette

anthony

And look how incredibly they objectively improved on GTA going from the lackluster IV to the awesome V.

If Rockstar improves on V even a fraction of how they improved going from IV to V, GTA will remain the blockbuster game it has been since 2001, even with a notable 2008 hiccup.

Still turning any thread and arguments into GTA 4 vs GTA 5, that's nice 😴😪 if only you would be credible and reasonable..

You do not miss a single opportunity to glorify your baby do you ? You are a broken record.

Please Admin, do not unlock the Things GTA 5 did better than GTA 4 thread lmao 😂😂.

Rockstar are unwilling to overhaul core aspects of the game because it will change a working formula and that may drastically effect sales.

I agree, I think it is pretty safe to say that at this point it is heavily a matter of dollars only and nothing more. Edited by anthony

D9fred95

I have a feeling GTA 6 is going to be like CoD: short story, multiplayer oriented. The proof is in the pudding, until GTAO, R* made constant games of high quality almost yearly. Now thanks to whales buying SC's every chance they get, R* has gotten a taste of what EA and Activision has been up to for the last little while, milking the playerbase while using as little resources as possible.

Strauss wants microransactions in everything now because we are wood to chop to him. Apparently Evolve's shenanigans didn't give him the hint that filling a game with microtransactions is an awful strategy. SP DLC continuing the trio's adventures having been hinted at with newswire's in the past, yet they swept it under the rug as "we felt the V experience was complete" despite the newswire posts and the Doomsday files being in there two years, long before Doomsday was released proving the statement false.

I don't have high hopes for GTA 6. Heck, I'm weary of RDR 2 and anything else from R* now.

Edited by D9fred95

ChiroVette

Please Admin, do not unlock the Things GTA 5 did better than GTA 4 thread .

They probably will open it, but it is irrelevant whether the thread stays closed or not.

The fact is this is an AWESOME forum with plenty of threads to talk about how amazing V is, and how Rockstar vastly improved the series. Now I know its difficult being part of a fringe group, a small, fractional minority of people who can't stop complaining about the game. I get it, and its cool! After all, no matter how amazing V is, you have the right to be here, too, just like I do.

Rockstar are unwilling to overhaul core aspects of the game because it will change a working formula and that may drastically effect sales.

I agree, I think it is pretty safe to say that at this point it is heavily a matter of dollars only and nothing more.

Luckily we don't have to worry about GTA unraveling. On topic, the direction of GTA is excellent, on track, and a franchise that is has enjoyed 20 years of unbridled success, showing no signs of that changing. And let's face it, if the franchise can survive the one black mark on it in 2008, and still rebound with V, then I have faith in the Housers to bring is and even better sequel to V.

Take that to the bank. Just like Rockstar is!

You know, I really have to start getting into Online! To this point, I have boycotted it, listening to disgruntled fans and whatnot, but all the reviews, the accolades, and the incredible new content constantly being added to Online, I am thinking maybe the Housers are right and the multitude of people thoroughly enjoying and embracing all the Online content are right. Maybe I need to stop being an Online holdout and see for myself what all the fuss is about. I mean, its so easy for me to rail against Online these past 4+ years, but maybe there really is something there. From everything I hear, you can do very well without buying any Online DLC like Shark Cards.

After I finish my new gaming PC, I am definitely going to check it out. Thanks, anthony! I think that if you are so adamantly opposed to Online, maybe its something I really need to try, given the fact that we agree on nothing.

Anyway, as for the direction of GTA, all I can say is if V is any indication, we are in for some truly amazing things in the coming years!!

Edited by ChiroVette

anthony

blabla blabla blabla whatever, end of discussion.

I don't have high hopes for GTA 6. Heck, I'm weary of RDR 2 and anything else from R* now.

Honestly, I'm kind of worried about RDR2, I don't want and I don't have any hype, I'm now pretty careful with Rockstar too.. Edited by anthony

ChiroVette

blabla blabla blabla whatever, end of discussion.

Honestly, I'm kind of worried about RDR2, I don't want and I don't have any hype, I'm now pretty careful with Rockstar..

I could honestly care less about RDR, having never played it, and having zero interest in it.

I am definitely NOT feeling cautious or careful with Rockstar. Any company that can continue to create AMAZING GTA games, one after the other, III, VC, SA, VCS, LCS, Chinatown Wars, and now V, is not a company that we need to be worried about.

Hot Pursuit

Yeah, I'm pretty sure R* wont do this anymore, especially since we know that R* made a huge mistake back then, and corrected it

ChiroVette

Yeah, I'm pretty sure R* wont do this anymore, especially since we know that R* made a huge mistake back then, and corrected it

Yeah, I know it seems to be en vogue in this forum to run around all Chicken-Little. "OMG the sky is falling! The GTA Sky is falling! ONLINE BAD! ONLINE BAD!!! The future of GTA is bleak!!"

You know what? I was seduced by this, too. I was talking the same way at one point, so I totally get it and where the sentiment comes from. But maybe all that I need to do is STOP protesting blindly and start getting with the times. If GTA V Online is even half as awesome as it is reputed to be, and even half the masterpiece that V's SP is, then its on me for being so stubborn for the past few years.

Algonquin Assassin

Id be surprised if R* turn Red Dead Online (or whatever its going to be) into the grind fest, clusterf*ck GTAO is.

Another thing that makes me quietly optimistic about RDR2 is the fact only one protagonist has been revealed. Im over multiple protagonists.

Goes for GTA VI also.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

ChiroVette

Algonquin, I actually hope that VI goes with multiple protagonists. I kind of see it as an "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" kinda thing. Multiple protagonist was one of the many ways that V really shines, and so I see no reason to do away with something that is so incredibly successful, and such a fantastic narrative and gameplay motif. If anything, they should just expand on that concept, and continue improving what makes the game so great to begin with. Obviously they shouldn't just rest on their laurels.

Edited by ChiroVette

Hot Pursuit

I don't have high hopes for GTA 6.

Yeah me too, unless GTA VI can surpass the beauty of GTA V and improves everything V had. I can live without GTA VI

TheOneLibertonian

Id be surprised if R* turn Red Dead Online (or whatever its going to be) into the grind fest, clusterf*ck GTAO is.

Another thing that makes me quietly optimistic about RDR2 is the fact only one protagonist has been revealed. Im over multiple protagonists.

Goes for GTA VI also.

To be honest, I think multiple protagonists could still work though. I'll admit it is very tricky to have an overarching focus on three different protagonists, especially with character development and the player's attachment to the characters, but as long Houser and his writing team can bring out a tonally consistent and well integrated story, I think it could work and fit quite well. V's biggest problem with the characters was the writing and characterization for them. I think the V trio also suffered from character development too, especially Franklin, however pacing and too much unnecessary fluff dragged the characters a lot more IMO. If the story had a fair balance of giving each character significance and together with good writing, the three protagonists could have been a good idea to begin with.

GTA IV and EFLC did an excellent job bringing three characters into different stories with different perspectives of Liberty City, but intertwining each other's path was well executed and cleverly done. If GTA VI or RDR 2 had multiple protagonists, I'd prefer something like IV and EFLC did, but with a bit of V in a way. Lastly, I'm with you that a single protagonist provides a more integrated experience is going to be better than multiple ones, but it really isn't a bad of an idea if done right.

ChiroVette

To be honest, I think multiple protagonists could still work though. I'll admit it is very tricky to have an overarching focus on three different protagonists, especially with character development and the player's attachment to the characters, but as long Houser and his writing team can bring out a tonally consistent and well integrated story, I think it could work and fit quite well.

Absolutely! And this is one of the areas V truly shines. It can't be easy to tell a story as riveting as the one Rockstar did, weaving in not only the stories of the three protagonists, but back stories, and a plethora of excellently crafted side characters for each. Then bundling it together in such a well implemented, finely written yarn with a true sense of cohesion between all three. If VI can follow in V's footsteps with multiple protagonists, it will be a fantastic game!

TheOneLibertonian

To be honest, I think multiple protagonists could still work though. I'll admit it is very tricky to have an overarching focus on three different protagonists, especially with character development and the player's attachment to the characters, but as long Houser and his writing team can bring out a tonally consistent and well integrated story, I think it could work and fit quite well.

Absolutely! And this is one of the areas V truly shines. It can't be easy to tell a story as riveting as the one Rockstar did, weaving in not only the stories of the three protagonists, but back stories, and a plethora of excellently crafted side characters for each. Then bundling it together in such a well implemented, finely written yarn with a true sense of cohesion between all three. If VI can follow in V's footsteps with multiple protagonists, it will be a fantastic game!

While I don't really agree with you and felt the trio should have been more expanded as characters, I think that the idea definitely have the potential to create something special in the future if done right. Nevertheless, I'd prefer a single playable protagonist, as it creates a deeper connection for me as a player willing to immerse myself into the world of GTA, but I am completely open to the idea of multiple protagonists returning again. Dan Houser is a very talented writer, and just like everyone who has penned a script, they have duds as well. As far as I'm concerned, V's story is a dud, but as long as he can create a interesting and gripping story, then I'm all up for it.

Keano

I disagree with the whole GTA turning into Saints Row comments. The Online is being presented as over the top and why not? There's something there for everyone. The kids can have their futuristic fast cars while I cruise in some of the classics from older GTA games. Story mode is not and will never be turned into the way GTA Online. Now, overall, I think IV multiplayer was better because of the environment and just being able to straight up murder enemies without worrying about money and stuff but GTA Online is still great fun with friends.

The way I also look at it, and I'm not sure what others believe, but Los Santos is based on Los Angeles and Vinewood based on Hollywood so all the game modes and crazy cars could be based on that which is fine by me. Half the people here prefer single player anyway and single player hasn't been touched.

Galehaut

You guys know what i find seriously hilarious after reading this thread completely ?

It's that R* gave you exactly what you wanted. 90% of the new toys that were released were actually request from players on these very boards.

A game will NEVER be completely tailored around your personal needs. To say that GTA:Online doesn't cater to a vast array of different players is just a plain lie. It's literally the most complete online game on the market since the last 4 years.

Just name me 1 single company that was able to pull an online open world modern game with complete physics ( land , sea , air ) ? You can't ; that doesn't exist yet apart from GTAV.

Also GTAV was and is always influenced by Hollywood. Half of the setups and missions during the doomsday heist are directed inspired from the old James bond movies. It still fits the narrative of the game being a universe built around our collective vision of what Hollywood is. ( the blockbuster movies )

Nevertheless, I'd prefer a single playable protagonist, as it creates a deeper connection for me as a player willing to immerse myself into the world of GTA, but I am completely open to the idea of multiple protagonists returning again. Dan Houser is a very talented writer, and just like everyone who has penned a script, they have duds as well. As far as I'm concerned, V's story is a dud, but as long as he can create a interesting and gripping story, then I'm all up for it.

So you consider GTA V story line a '' dud '' ? Really ? Could you name me 1 game even remotely worthy of being considered better than it story wise ( while keeping the modern gangster theme ) ? I'd be really interested to play it that's for sure if GTAV story's a dud and not a masterpiece like i personally think it is. I even wonder if we were playing the same game.

In fact , the story line is so deep , detailed and intricate that after 4 years , the vast majority of players still don't even understand it. I could know this with a simple question ; Whose the real villain in GTAV ( and in GTA:O at the same time ) ?

Edited by Galehaut

Piggsy pls

You guys know what i find seriously hilarious after reading this thread completely ?

It's that R* gave you exactly what you wanted. 90% of the new toys that were released were actually request from players on these very boards.

A game will NEVER be completely tailored around your personal needs. To say that GTA:Online doesn't cater to a vast array of different players is just a plain lie. It's literally the most complete online game on the market since the last 4 years.

Just name me 1 single company that was able to pull an online open world modern game with complete physics ( land , sea , air ) ? You can't ; that doesn't exist yet apart from GTAV.

Also GTAV was and is always influenced by Hollywood. Half of the setups and missions during the doomsday heist are directed inspired from the old James bond movies. It still fits the narrative of the game being a universe built around our collective vision of what Hollywood is. ( the blockbuster movies )

Nevertheless, I'd prefer a single playable protagonist, as it creates a deeper connection for me as a player willing to immerse myself into the world of GTA, but I am completely open to the idea of multiple protagonists returning again. Dan Houser is a very talented writer, and just like everyone who has penned a script, they have duds as well. As far as I'm concerned, V's story is a dud, but as long as he can create a interesting and gripping story, then I'm all up for it.

So you consider GTA V story line a '' dud '' ? Really ? Could you name me 1 game even remotely worthy of being considered better than it story wise ( while keeping the modern gangster theme ) ? I'd be really interested to play it that's for sure if GTAV story's a dud and not a masterpiece like i personally think it is. I even wonder if we were playing the same game.

In fact , the story line is so deep , detailed and intricate that after 4 years , the vast majority of players still don't even understand it. I could know this with a simple question ; Whose the real villain in GTAV ( and in GTA:O at the same time ) ?

The story is badly developed, badly paced, and ends anti-climatcially, most missions are scripted as hell so there's no reason to replay them, characters are mostly bad. And lol at not being able to name a game with a better story. I can't even tell if you're serious.

Galehaut

The story is badly developed, badly paced, and ends anti-climatcially, most missions are scripted as hell so there's no reason to replay them, characters are mostly bad. And lol at not being able to name a game with a better story. I can't even tell if you're serious.

Well go ahead then. I'm waiting. You wanna debate on it , let's do it fair and square. name a game , even a list if you want. Show me your top 5.

Do you understand the principle of open world games ? Because apparently you'd prefer to be on a linear guided train.

The story line isn't badly paced ; if you concentrate on it without spending your time on other activities. Off course if you play a few story missions and then wander off doing open world activities , exploring and finding collectables , doing side-quests , it will feel badly paced to you. It's only an illusion though ; on paper and in reality , the story line is very well paced on the course of 2 in-game months , from August 2012 to October 2012.

Funny that i'm able to determine the exact time line of the story line for a badly paced game.

Edited by Galehaut

Piggsy pls

Well go ahead then. I'm waiting. You wanna debate on it , let's do it fair and square. name a game , even a list if you want. Show me your top 5.

Do you understand the principle of open world games ? Because apparently you'd prefer to be on a linear guided train.

The story line isn't badly paced ; if you concentrate on it without spending your time on other activities. Off course if you play a few story missions and then wander off doing open world activities , exploring and finding collectables , doing side-quests , it will feel badly paced to you. It's only an illusion though ; on paper and in reality , the story line is very well paced on the course of 2 in-game months , from August 2012 to October 2012.

Funny that i'm able to determine the exact time line of the story line for a badly paced game.

1. RDR, GTA IV and almost every other 3D GTA title, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 2/3, Mafia II, Mafia III, Watch Dogs (those last two games I listed had issues but narrative and character-wise they're way ahead of GTA V). And those are only games that fit into the open-world crime simulator group. There's plenty of games out there, open world or not, with a way better story than GTA V, no offense but if V is seriously the best you can think of you probably haven't played many games.

Yes, I understand an open world game is meant to be about freedom and choice, which V seriously lacks in. There's tons of useless restrictions put in the game, yet it tries to be OTT at the same time, and the missions are the most linear of any GTA game.

Your next point seems to contradict your previous one, as you're arguing that in order to appreciate the story and pacing, you basically have to rush through it; that's not how an open-world game should have to be played. The previous game certainly didn't have that issue. In any case, the second and last time I played through the game, I did play it in quick succession, because I already knew it was disappointing and wanted to be done with it ASAP. Didn't make me appreciate it more.

The game is badly paced. It starts off well but by the time Trevor gets to LS it's all over the place. You just do random jobs for the government as an excuse to have action packed missions, moving from one setpiece to another, that don't actually have anything to do with the game's overall plot (Making money from heists). Then at the end they just randomly decide to solve their issues by killing those "oppressing" them (lol) in 5 minutes when they could have and should have done that ages ago.

Bruh, not everyone here who critcizes V's story didn't "understand" it or the themes it tried to convey, it had potential but it just wasn't that good to us, really.

Edited by Piggsy pls

TheOneLibertonian

@Galehaut: I'm not sure you understood the point of my comment. Sure, I said GTA V's story is a dud, but it is as far as I'm concerned with how I perceive and understood GTA. You need to understand that not everyone else has the same tastes and opinions as you. I've said many, many times across the GTA V board that I really like the game, I don't consider it a masterpiece or anything, but it has it's own merits.

I understand that you approach GTA with a very different kind of mentality as me, but you don't need to factualize that GTA V should be a masterpiece and it always will be. Because at the end of the day, it just matters with personal preference and not bragging rights to see who is superior or not. I say my word to state what I feel, and giving my own personal stance about the topic in hand, not to objectify others with it. If anything, I completely understand why you think GTA V is a masterpiece and have the ability to embrace it more than myself, I just wish that you did the same who say otherwise.

ChiroVette

@Galehaut: I'm not sure you understood the point of my comment. Sure, I said GTA V's story is a dud, but it is as far as I'm concerned with how I perceive and understood GTA. You need to understand that not everyone else has the same tastes and opinions as you. I've said many, many times across the GTA V board that I really like the game, I don't consider it a masterpiece or anything, but it has it's own merits.

I understand that you approach GTA with a very different kind of mentality as me, but you don't need to factualize that GTA V should be a masterpiece and it always will be. Because at the end of the day, it just matters with personal preference and not bragging rights to see who is superior or not. I say my word to state what I feel, and giving my own personal stance about the topic in hand, not to objectify others with it. If anything, I completely understand why you think GTA V is a masterpiece and have the ability to embrace it more than myself, I just wish that you did the same who say otherwise.

I actually like a lot of what you are saying here, because you are admitting that your opinion is that V's story is a dud because you personally don't like it. BUT you are not saying that you believe this is empirically true. I actually believe that V's story is one of the best in the franchise, filled with action, humor, government intrigue, financial incentive, rewards, and an incredible depth and breadth. But you probably don't agree with that, which is fine.

It is easy to see how I love the direction GTA is heading in, and how I am so looking forward to GTA VI or GTA: Next.

Edit: Added this response

The story is not only incredibly paced, BUT the amount of story told in the cut scenes is top notch both in terms of quality AND quantity. I know most would deny it, I wonder how many people complaining in this forum are skipping the cut scenes or only looking at them in a cursory way. I suppose if one ignores the incredible back story of the characters, the side characters who ALL contribute immeasurably to the stories of the protagonists, and they skip many of the cut scenes, one could come away with the erroneous conclusion that the story is badly paced or somehow lacking.

I know this has never been a concern to me as V vastly improves GTA storytelling, not the opposite.

Edited by ChiroVette

Galehaut

@Galehaut: I'm not sure you understood the point of my comment.

I completely agree with you actually ; you have the right to not like the story at all. My point was that 99.9% of the people don't even understand the story , so how exactly are they able to judge a story that they never read / listened to the end completely ?

What if i told you that HD universe is a simulated reality and that the characters we see in-game are programs ? Would it change your perspective on the story line ?

1. RDR, GTA IV and almost every other 3D GTA title, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 2/3, Mafia II, Mafia III, Watch Dogs (those last two games I listed had issues but narrative and character-wise they're way ahead of GTA V). And those are only games that fit into the open-world crime simulator group. There's plenty of games out there, open world or not, with a way better story than GTA V, no offense but if V is seriously the best you can think of you probably haven't played many games.

Ok so basically all the games in existence have better story line scripts than GTAV in your opinion ( including previous titles that share the same Lore and universe ) . Hater spotted. How can you even honestly compare Far Cry and Watch dogs story line scripts vs GTAV ? Watch dogs is all about gameplay , the story is laughable at best. They did a good job with all the hacking mechanics but everyone who played that game know that the story sucks , is surrealist , and that the vehicles are rolling bricks.

Edited by Galehaut

TheOneLibertonian

I completely agree with you actually ; you have the right to not like the story at all. My point was that 99.9% of the people don't even understand the story , so how exactly are they able to judge a story that they never read / listened to the end completely ?

What if i told you that HD universe is a simulated reality and that the characters we see in-game are programs ? Would it change your perspective on the story line ?

I don't think it would change my opinion on the story. I judge the story at face value, and not from fan theories like you stated. I'm onboard with theorizing the many aspects of GTA, that's why the Bigfoot mystery in San Andreas so popular and widely spread-out, but looking at the story of V itself with writing, pacing, and inconsistency of tone, I think it failed to pass on it's themes and message. Just my personal opinion.

Galehaut

I don't think it would change my opinion on the story. I judge the story at face value, and not from fan theories like you stated. I'm onboard with theorizing the many aspects of GTA, that's why the Bigfoot mystery in San Andreas so popular and widely spread-out, but looking at the story of V itself with writing, pacing, and inconsistency of tone, I think it failed to pass on it's themes and message. Just my personal opinion.

What exactly do you consider an '' inconsistency of tone '' ? I'm curious. The themes being the pursuit of the almighty dollars , while being a simulacra of the Hollywood seen through movies and other media. How exactly did they fail to achieve this ? The main story line is even written like one. Hollywood Movies inspired every inch of this game.

Source : http://www.kinephanos.ca/2017/rockstar-games-and-the-use-of-cinema-in-video-game-promotion/

Edited by Galehaut

Piggsy pls

Ok so basically all the games in existence have better story line scripts than GTAV in your opinion ( including previous titles that share the same Lore and universe ) . Hater spotted. How can you even honestly compare Far Cry and Watch dogs story line scripts vs GTAV ? Watch dogs is all about gameplay , the story is laughable at best. They did a good job with all the hacking mechanics but everyone who played that game know that the story sucks , is surrealist , and that the vehicles are rolling bricks.

Like I said Watch Dogs had tons of issues, I don't even like the game (the sequel is better) but its story was not as disappointing or badly developed as GTA V's. That's not saying much but it's something. Watch Dogs was better at being a game about a hacker in a dystopian future than GTA V was about three guys pulling off heists in pursuit of the almighty dollar IMO.

And lol at me being a hater for answering your question. You asked me to list games that have a better story than GTA V, I did just that, what's the issue? And what's wrong with listing previous GTA games? If they have a better story than I don't see why they can't be mentioned. I see you couldn't even respond to the rest of my post explaining why I don't like the game's story lmao. Seems like just you can't handle that not everyone likes your favorite game as much as you do.

Edited by Piggsy pls