4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

MGgames100

Akula Discussion Thread

R3CON
2 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Tried it, still prefer homing rockets since basic bombs do a good job filling in when unguided ordnance is called for.

Agreed. 

Should also say you can still blind fire at targets even with the homing missiles added. Just switch to homing off or just fire before the lock on finishes. Wouldn't be four different missiles like the Barrage but you would effectively operate it the same. 

Conversely, once you go to Barrage missiles there's no longer any homing option. You're stuck with ground targets pretty much. 

I've used Barrage alot over the three+ weeks I've had this lock on issue and I prefer homing for it's versatility. 

18 hours ago, Gridl0k said:

It's the dual primary gun that breaks it, switch to single.

This finally made it work again!!

Thanks for sharing this! 

Now I can resume my Deluxo purges.

Edited by R3CON

Voodoo-Hendrix

Some thoughts about the Akula:

- If the Akula wasn't featured on The Doomsday Heist, it would probably be a two seater:

c4cbd7-3.jpg

- It should be called "RF1 Akula" ingame.

- Its Machine Guns should be buffed to Buzzard levels, right now they're pretty much useless.

Bloodytears1666

- According to double rotors of KA-52 it could flight upside down and do barrel rolls.

- It is attack helicopter the same as Hunter with no stealth.

Voodoo-Hendrix
4 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

- According to double rotors of KA-52 it could flight upside down and do barrel rolls.

Oh man, if auto stabilization wasn't as aggresive as is it now, we could do loop-the-loops in the Hunter and Akula:

xXxKAMIKAZExXx

I still want the KA-52 to be added to the game with its coaxial rotor system. The Akula is more like the Comanche, being a stealth helicopter.

Mattoropael
On 7/28/2018 at 3:34 AM, BZXC32 said:

Nnfirst you pay 300k to get the dual gun, then they screw up so you have to switch back to single gun, is 7000 and when thet fix it you must pay again 300k too get the dual gun again. Thats over 600k they steal 

* x2 on both my characters is have the akula, so its over 1.2 m total

It's not like those guns served any purpose other than a $300k aesthetic mod anyway.

FuturePastNow

I prefer the aesthetics of the single gun, anyway.

Voodoo-Hendrix
53 minutes ago, FuturePastNow said:

I prefer the aesthetics of the single gun, anyway.

Me too, it's also more accurate to the real thing:

comanche5.jpg

Now if we could change the side miniguns for a set of missiles, that would be great:

rah66_8.jpg

Edited by Voodoo-Hendrix

xXxKAMIKAZExXx
1 hour ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

Me too, it's also more accurate to the real thing:

comanche5.jpg

Now if we could change the side miniguns for a set of missiles, that would be great:

rah66_8.jpg

I'd prefer that than having the stub wings equiped. Realistically, those wings and missile racks would disable its stealth ability.

DeadArashi

6 hours ago, xXxKAMIKAZExXx said:
8 hours ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

rah66_8.jpg

I'd prefer that than having the stub wings equiped. Realistically, those wings and missile racks would disable its stealth ability.

Yer oath, that would actually be legit. And it looks weirdly sexy as a narrow two-seater without the stub wings and fold-in missiles.

rah-66-comanche-3d-model-max.jpg

I do still stand by my opinion that, given the option, I would trade in the bomb bay for countermeasures, I jsut don't use bombs on helicopters enough to warrant it for me

Edited by DeadArashi

DeadArashi

So I've just pulled the model for the Akula and opened it up to have a look through it and something caught my eye. For anyone that has been into the models or has done modelling, you will know what this means; there's actually a dummy/helper (whatever you want to call it) node on the Akula called "countermea" and that can only mean that at some point in its development R* had tested countermeasures on this chopper before it was released.

This doesn't suggest it will come in the future, just a little bit of interesting information

Voodoo-Hendrix
1 hour ago, DeadArashi said:

So I've just pulled the model for the Akula and opened it up to have a look through it and something caught my eye. For anyone that has been into the models or has done modelling, you will know what this means; there's actually a dummy/helper (whatever you want to call it) node on the Akula called "countermea" and that can only mean that at some point in its development R* had tested countermeasures on this chopper before it was released.

This doesn't suggest it will come in the future, just a little bit of interesting information

Well, AFAIK, the Avenger had the same dummy but R* forgot to add countermeasures until the next update.

Now, how Countermeasures could work in an Akula? Maybe as a copilot only thing, like in the aforementioned Avenger and the Tula? It would be too OP?

FukNRekd

Where's that delete post button? :blink:

Edited by FukNRekd

DeadArashi
17 hours ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

Well, AFAIK, the Avenger had the same dummy but R* forgot to add countermeasures until the next update.

Now, how Countermeasures could work in an Akula? Maybe as a copilot only thing, like in the aforementioned Avenger and the Tula? It would be too OP?

Something that I've been toying the idea of is that; if you have the stub wings attached, the pleyer will be revealed if they enter a certain distance from other players.

What this means is that players wouldnt be able to wait till the last second to unstealth and fire a hail of missiles. Stops heavy griefing without ruining the Akula. It would still surprise the sh*t out of players when it suddenly appears on their map next to them, just not on top of them.

Having no stub wings would keep the stealth mechanic it currently has. If R* does give the option to swap the fold-in miniguns to homing rockets, it could be two per side with a cooldown after all 4 are fired.

Example of how it could look:

zpSJUCC.png

Edited by DeadArashi

DeadArashi

to follow up on the previous post, I think an option to mount miniguns on the stub wings would be a great addition if they were controlled by the rear passengers, thus making them a bit more useful. This would naturally mean giving up the spammable homing missiles but you gain more suppressive fire if you have a full chopper. I mean, if you choose to run all 6 miniguns there's not much that can stand in the way, even just 4 is a frightening amount of gun fire so the Pilot might up to trade the fold in miniguns for Homing Missiles (as described in the post above)

Naturally, the lack of countermeasures would be a big drawback as it's a chopper that would become heavily reliant on having a 4 man squad to work all the guns as apposed to the Hunter that can run with 2 people

hpJKD7t.png

Bloodytears1666
15 minutes ago, DeadArashi said:

Naturally, the lack of countermeasures would be a big drawback 

No, all helicopters without CM could dodge rockets, when those which have them magnet missiles.

DeadArashi
4 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

No, all helicopters without CM could dodge rockets, when those which have them magnet missiles.

i mean, everything is a missile magnet, CM or not. If you're in the air, chances are someone's gonna pop a missile off at you. CM just gives the aircraft a helping hand in living longer/ escaping.

CM doesn't make you immune, just increases your chance of survival against homing missiles

Bloodytears1666
15 minutes ago, DeadArashi said:

i mean, everything is a missile magnet, CM or not. If you're in the air, chances are someone's gonna pop a missile off at you. CM just gives the aircraft a helping hand in living longer/ escaping.

CM doesn't make you immune, just increases your chance of survival against homing missiles

With aircraft equipped with CM, homing missiles does 360 on a miss and target and hit CM bay. You actually not able to dodge them without using CM. When with all non CM aircraft, rocket on a miss flies straight away, because it targets on aircraft itself.

Just telling though, I've never been hit prepared in Akula by HM, but in Hunter I can't do anything but use CM, because if not, I'll 100% receive a blow to the tail rotor.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

DeadArashi
29 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

With aircraft equipped with CM, homing missiles does 360 on a miss and target and hit CM bay. You actually not able to dodge them without using CM. When with all non CM aircraft, rocket on a miss flies straight away, because it targets on aircraft itself.

Just telling though, I've never been hit prepared in Akula by HM, but in Hunter I can't do anything but use CM, because if not, I'll 100% receive a blow to the tail rotor.

ehhh I actually have the opposite happen to me where I get taken out more in my Akula then my Hunter. Very rarely do I take a hit when using CM. The timing for it does need to be pretty bang on otherwise it's just a pretty light show if you pop it too early or too late

Voodoo-Hendrix
22 hours ago, DeadArashi said:

Something that I've been toying the idea of is that; if you have the stub wings attached, the pleyer will be revealed if they enter a certain distance from other players.

What this means is that players wouldnt be able to wait till the last second to unstealth and fire a hail of missiles. Stops heavy griefing without ruining the Akula. It would still surprise the sh*t out of players when it suddenly appears on their map next to them, just not on top of them.

Having no stub wings would keep the stealth mechanic it currently has. If R* does give the option to swap the fold-in miniguns to homing rockets, it could be two per side with a cooldown after all 4 are fired.

Example of how it could look:

zpSJUCC.png

This is how the Akula shoule have been since the beginning IMO.

I have an idea, what if you don't equip stub wings, you have access to Stealth Mode but no countermeasures and if you equip them, you get access to Countermeasures but no Stealth Mode?

I mean, the Comanche had its missile pods concealed within its fuselage so it could have a lower radar profile, it just doesn't makes sense having a pair of massive stub wings and be able to go off the radar.

Thoughts?

Fatsanchez

^Totally agree. In fact this was also how I was expecting the Akula to be before it dropped.

Voodoo-Hendrix
11 minutes ago, Fatsanchez said:

^Totally agree. In fact this was also how I was expecting the Akula to be before it dropped.

Same, I actually made a post about it some time agor in this same thread:

On 7/5/2018 at 6:53 PM, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

IMO, this is how the Akula should have been implemented:

- Being able to upgrade the Buzzard level Machine Guns into a set of two pairs of Homing Missiles, keeping the Stealth Mode.

- Upgrading it with a set of wings and either Barrage Rockets or Homing Missiles and being able to equip countermeasures, but losing Stealth Mode as a result.

The RAH-66 Comanche, the main inspiration for the Akula, was mainly developed as an stealth reconnaissance and attack helicopter. It could be equipped with a pair of stub wings to be able to have more firepower but at the cost of its stealth factor, the Akula should reflect this.

rah-66--mission-image17.jpg

The RAH-66 Comanche was able to have several loadouts too:

RAH-66%207.jpg

You can read about the RAH-66 Comanche here, it surely was a pretty interesting helicopter, shame it didn't went into production:

https://www.sikorskyarchives.com/RAH-66 COMANCHE.php

Edited by Voodoo-Hendrix
spoiler alert

Arrows to Athens

Is anyone using the free aim rockets against on-foot players, considering it has no cool-down like the Buzzard?

Voodoo-Hendrix
5 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Is anyone using the free aim rockets against on-foot players, considering it has no cool-down like the Buzzard?

I do, at least until the cops eventually show up lol

This heli needs to have Non Homing Missiles.

Also, the Barrage Missiles should be buffed from 4 to 7 like the Hunter IMO.

Arrows to Athens
3 minutes ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

I do, at least until the cops eventually show up lol

This heli needs to have Non Homing Missiles.

Also, the Barrage Missiles should be buffed from 4 to 7 like the Hunter IMO.

I agree. It needs to have both a homing and non-homing option, desperately.

Bloodytears1666
1 hour ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

Barrage Missiles should be buffed from 4 to 7 like the Hunter IMO.

More not less, I like this idea.

Voodoo-Hendrix

Reposting this here because it's related to the Akula:

6 hours ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

I just found out that the Akula's Homing Missile pods are based on those from the South African Super Hind:

ate_mi-24_super_hind_mk_iii_01.jpg

DeadArashi

I was going to do a sort of fly round video of the various upgrade proposals but my 3DS Max is being difficult. But I did do some better renders with actual textures, at least on the parts that wanted to cooperate with me.

Stub Wings

• Rear-passenger controlled miniguns 

Fold-out Weapons*

• Barrage Missiles - fires a small, 4 missile barrage before a brief cooldown (As suggested by @Voodoo-Hendrix, the stub wing version can be buffed to fire a 7 missile before a brief cooldown)
  • Homing Missiles - fires 4 homing missiles before a brief cooldown

*having one of these upgrades would remove disable the Stub Wing version from being added; i.e. you can't have two lots of Barrage Missiles to spam a 11 missile barrage

T6egPZP.jpg1uS8FnN.jpgfkqUeoj.jpg

Voodoo-Hendrix
10 minutes ago, DeadArashi said:

I was going to do a sort of fly round video of the various upgrade proposals but my 3DS Max is being difficult. But I did do some better renders with actual textures, at least on the parts that wanted to cooperate with me.

Stub Wings

• Rear-passenger controlled miniguns 

Fold-out Weapons*

• Barrage Missiles - fires a small, 4 missile barrage before a brief cooldown (As suggested by @Voodoo-Hendrix, the stub wing version can be buffed to fire a 7 missile before a brief cooldown)
  • Homing Missiles - fires 4 homing missiles before a brief cooldown

*having one of these upgrades would remove disable the Stub Wing version from being added; i.e. you can't have two lots of Barrage Missiles to spam a 11 missile barrage

T6egPZP.jpg1uS8FnN.jpgfkqUeoj.jpg

Amazing!

I legit would buy a Shark Card for this, good job!

_DeadLight_