1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

xXPinguXx

Overrated/Underrated GTA'S

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 3:09 AM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Somewhat overrated: San Andreas and GTA V.

I guess I should explain why I think San Andreas is a little overrated, even though it's my favorite title of the 3D era.

I don't consider it overrated in terms of the story, map and crime side-missions (let those civilian occupations aside), but because a lot of players consider it the definition of GTA, and see it as the standards of the series. Its successors are always compared to it, but that's expected for every game. The problem is, they get bashed for every single feature it offers that they don't, especially when it comes to GTA IV with the jetpack, parachute and tanks, and many people don't give them the credit they deserve, especially IV, only because they weren't improved versions of San Andreas. Most of the story's characters are likable and entertaining to watch, but some of them are a little overrated, including The Truth, Maccer, and to some extent CJ in my opinion. Big Smoke is also overrated when he's pictured as the "funny number 9 eater and train chaser", but sadly underrated as an antagonist. Now I'm not saying that Tommy is not overrated at all when it comes to Vice City (he was the first talking protagonist, which didn't allow for enough depth and character development, but his intelligence and attitude helped him shine), but most of the opinions I found about preferring CJ is not because of his personality and overall character, but because of the game that he's the protagonist of, and especially, the features he's able obtain, like the customization options, the jetpack, parachutes, dual wielding guns, RPG elements like fat and muscles, the list goes on.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

TheSantader25
12 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

most of the opinions I found about preferring CJ is not because of his personality and overall character, but because of the game that he's the protagonist of, and especially, the features he's able obtain, like the customization options, the jetpack, parachutes, dual wielding guns, RPG elements like fat and muscles, the list goes on.

CJ's personality aside(which I like a lot btw) that is a "huge plus" IMO. You see, GTA is such an enormous game. This big world offers a lot of opportunities which is why flexible characters like CJ who seem to fit in a lot of scenarios(or alternatively multiple protagonists) are the ones that fit within such a big game IMO. That's why characters like Niko, No matter how deep, really don't do it in this franchise for me because I always find myself thinking how tf what I'm doing right now as the player can make sense. (even though this happens with characters like CJ as well and is ultimately inevitable but still, happens LOADS of times with Niko.). 

I find characters like Niko to be perfect for games that focus solely on the story aspect. But GTA is a whole lot more than story. The protagonist should fit within the story, gameplay, world,... all at the same time and while that's impossible, the closer it is to perfection the better. 

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

CJ's personality aside(which I like a lot btw) that is a "huge plus" IMO. You see, GTA is such an enormous game. This big world offers a lot of opportunities which is why flexible characters like CJ who seem to fit in a lot of scenarios(or alternatively multiple protagonists) are the ones that fit within such a big game IMO.

That's the idea here. I don't find it a benefit for CJ as a character, but rather for the game itself.

Other than that, it does feel out of character for CJ in some cases. I mean, I can't picture him "canonically" wearing the biker clothes from Victim, having a haircut with a flashy color, walking with only an underwear or meeting characters while he's so fat without them noticing that (except in very few scripted situations).

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

TheSantader25
7 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Other than that, it does feel out of character for CJ in some cases. I mean, I can't picture him "canonically" wearing the biker clothes from Victim, having a haircut with a flashy color, walking with only an underwear or meeting characters while he's so fat without them noticing that (except in very few scripted situations).

Actually I think it kinda does fit. They've done a pretty good job to show him as flexible as possible.

American Venom
12 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

I guess I should explain why I think San Andreas is a little overrated, even though it's my favorite title of the 3D era.

I don't consider it overrated in terms of the story, map and crime side-missions (let those civilian occupations aside), but because a lot of players consider it the definition of GTA, and see it as the standards of the series. Its successors are always compared to it, but that's expected for every game. The problem is, they get bashed for every single feature it offers that they don't, especially when it comes to GTA IV with the jetpack, parachute and tanks, and many people don't give them the credit they deserve, especially IV, only because they weren't improved versions of San Andreas. Most of the story's characters are likable and entertaining to watch, but some of them are a little overrated, including The Truth, Maccer, and to some extent CJ in my opinion. Big Smoke is also overrated when he's pictured as the "funny number 9 eater and train chaser", but sadly underrated as an antagonist. Now I'm not saying that Tommy is not overrated at all when it comes to Vice City (he was the first talking protagonist, which didn't allow for enough depth and character development, but his intelligence and attitude helped him shine), but most of the opinions I found about preferring CJ is not because of his personality and overall character, but because of the game that he's the protagonist of, and especially, the features he's able obtain, like the customization options, the jetpack, parachutes, dual wielding guns, RPG elements like fat and muscles, the list goes on.

Image result for citizen kane clapping gif

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. Also just to add Tenpenny seems to get far more praise than CJ does. It's pretty sad when the antagonist is far more popular than the protagonist of the game that's being controlled by the player.

That simply doesn't happen with other GTA games. 

iiCriminnaaL 49
1 minute ago, American Venom said:

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. Also just to add Tenpenny seems to get far more praise than CJ does. It's pretty sad when the antagonist is far more popular than the protagonist of the game that's being controlled by the player.

That simply doesn't happen with other GTA games. 

Very indeed. I've always said that I wish Tenpenny was the protagonist instead.

Some would say it mightn't work, but I believe the developers can make it fit if they wanted to.

Kumieee

Overrated: IV, at least on this forum. It has an amazing story and atmosphere which I learned to appreciate with age but the repetition and awful driving controls are almost always overlooked here. In general, maybe San Andreas. I watch speedruns in my spare time (ily Hugo) and it has lots of slow parts in areas like San Fierro, which I think takes away from its sacred status. But it's still near-perfect aside from that.

Underrated: The "Stories" games for sure. I really wish they'd get remastered, even if they're just PS4 exclusives.

American Venom
On 4/8/2019 at 3:45 AM, Kumieee said:

Overrated: IV, at least on this forum. It has an amazing story and atmosphere which I learned to appreciate with age but the repetition and awful driving controls are almost always overlooked here.

I don't agree with that. Even though I don't post as much as I did a couple of years ago it's not that hard to find to someone moaning about GTA IV's driving or its "repetition". The problem is some people find it hard to swallow that this isn't a problem for everyone so they start convincing themselves they're in the right and everyone else who doesn't take an issue with these things is wrong.

Driving's a completely subjective thing and like it or not some people like GTA IV's loose and unforgiving driving and some would argue that the "repetition" is more the game's consistency with its world building, story etc. In any case I don't see how it's overlooked. I get everyone has opinions, but it's a two way street.