Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

xXPinguXx

Overrated/Underrated GTA'S

Recommended Posts

ViceBoy69

I dont know how anyone can say ViceCity is overrated but its all personal opinion, i have just started a new play through on XBOX and i felt like i did all those years ago on release day, its a great game. All i can think when someone says its overrated is they have come to the game after playing later games first, i guess you would wonder what all the fuss is about but if you played it back in the day along with GTA3 you would understand what a milestone in gaming these 2 games where

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
American Venom

I dont know how anyone can say ViceCity is overrated but its all personal opinion, i have just started a new play through on XBOX and i felt like i did all those years ago on release day, its a great game. All i can think when someone says its overrated is they have come to the game after playing later games first, i guess you would wonder what all the fuss is about but if you played it back in the day along with GTA3 you would understand what a milestone in gaming these 2 games where

 

The only thing going against Vice City like GTA III is its age. Vice City's 16 years old this year and some of its mechanics really show. Other than that I played the game in 2002 and still play on my PS4 from time to time and it's still the peak of the 3D era as far as I'm concerned. It was the last GTA that really hooked me until GTA IV.

 

If Vice City had a longer development cycle it'd be an even better game, but what it achieved in just 1 year after GTA III was nothing short of amazing that I'm sure most AAA developers who pump out sequels annually nowadays would be gleaming with envy.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95

Overrated: SA. People can't stop circlejerking over it and while its a solid game its really not that special. Its way too bloated for its own good, CJ is a lackluster protagonist, the story is a trainwreck and even back when it came out it felt like a step back compared to VC to me. It changed the series for the worse because people can't move on from it.

 

GTA:O- How is this piece of garbage so popular? Its not fun at all. And why the f*ck do people buy shark cards? All a mystery to me. It also lead to the cancellation of GTA V's SP DLC..

 

Underrated on this forum: GTA V, outside this forum GTA IV.

GTA V was no doubt flawed as f*ck but people here seem to hate it too much and call everything about it garbage. It has some strong points for me and is at least as good as SA at least.

 

Outside this forum GTA IV is still underrated, the casual fans just prefer the more "fun" titles I guess. It deserves more appreciation.

 

TLAD was also much better than TBOGT yet people didn't care about it much. Probably the reason why Rockstar sh*tted all over Johnny in GTA V, they knew that (sadly) not many would care. I'm glad some did at least.

 


2018 and people still saying that IV is underrated...

Because it is, outside this forum at least. Don't think people here represent the majority.

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bluesn0w

Overrated - Grand Theft Auto V

Underrated - Grand Theft Auto III (Start of the 3D Era)

Edited by B1n0ryD3v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Overrated: Grand Theft Auto: V (including Online)

    Sort of overrated: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony.

  • Underrated: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and IV: The Lost and Damned.

    Sort of underrated: Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and IV.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThatKyloRenGuy

Overrated: GTA 5, Online, and to a lesser extent, San Andreas

Underrated: TLAD and TBOGT

 

I like San Andreas better than 5, and think it’s still pretty good, but not particularly as good as a lot of people claim it is. I’d rate it a 10/16. I’ve already explained as much as I could about how I think 5 is overrated. I still like it though and rate it a 9/16. As for GTA Online, it might as well be the only GTA game I dislike more than 1, 2, and Advance. It has far too many whiny and bratty 9-year-olds playing it that shouldn’t even be playing GTA in the first place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tao Cheng

Overrated: Vice City, V

Underrated: Chinatown Wars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

Overrated:IV(by miles, i mean 98?really?), TLAD, ONLINE

Underrated:VCS, TBOGT

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA-Biker
On July 3, 2018 at 5:31 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Overrated:IV(by miles, i mean 98?really?), TLAD, ONLINE

Underrated:VCS, TBOGT

How is TLAD overrated?I'd even say it's underrated because despite being a pretty good game,it has very few fans and doesn't really get the praise it deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23

Overrated: GTA Online

Underrated: GTA IV, at least outside this forum, that is. The general fans mostly sh*t on the game. GTA III, doesn't get the love that Vice or SA does, but it's still a great game that set the standard back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
1 hour ago, GTA-Biker said:

How is TLAD overrated?I'd even say it's underrated because despite being a pretty good game,it has very few fans and doesn't really get the praise it deserves.

I told you once. I hate Bikers. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
1 minute ago, TheSantader25 said:

I told you once. I hate Bikers. 😉

That doesn't make it an overrated game. Overrated means many people give it more appreciation than it deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
1 minute ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

That doesn't make it an overrated game. Overrated means many people give it more appreciation than it deserves.

It makes it Overrated in my OPINION. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

Overrated: V and Online. They aren't terrible games at all, and I don't outright hate them. I just think that Online has been dragged out for far too long to the point that it's getting boring and I strongly dislike the microtransactions being pushed, and V was a missed opportunity. To me, the story felt lackluster compared to SA and IV. I loved that they wanted to return to a III-era style of fun, but at the same time I felt that SA had a better story despite having crazy things to do. I mainly think this has to do with three protagonists having less missions combined than SA and IV had. V had basically no time for character development, and I didn't think it was the best story in a GTA by a longshot. Also, coming from IV, while they made the controls more smooth, some of the euphoria physics felt like a downgrade from IV and RDR. I also thought Los Santos was bland compared to LC, and it also felt like there still wasn't enough to do once you finish the story.

 

Underrated: Vice City Stories. What Rockstar could do in 2006 for a PSP title was amazing, and it was a huge step up from Liberty City Stories. The story felt a little more clear-cut, I think the soundtrack rivals VC and SA for best soundtrack in a GTA title, it was a return to Vice City (one of my favorite locations in the III era), they introduced aircraft and got it to work with the PSP controls, plus you had empire building (something that I'm surprised never returned in any future GTA title).

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

@Hmmm nice bike

I feel like the characters are pretty well-developed in V but are underused and because of lack of missions some people may not fully understand them. Also V gives you a lot of missions from the Protagonists themselves which pushes the side ones to the be noticed less. I feel like they are developed well but are underused due to lack of missions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

Yeah, honestly, 69 story missions for a game like V was pathetic. Especially when a lot of those missions were standard "Go pick up a mask" without any dialogue or character development at all. The game needed at least 100+ missions, and I think they could have had more room to work with as far as characters go. Especially if we got to see more of Franklin and Trevor's lives pre-Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
3 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Yeah, honestly, 69 story missions for a game like V was pathetic. Especially when a lot of those missions were standard "Go pick up a mask" without any dialogue or character development at all. The game needed at least 100+ missions, and I think they could have had more room to work with as far as characters go. Especially if we got to see more of Franklin and Trevor's lives pre-Michael.

R* made a mistake by trying to actually put some sort of story for online. The multiplayer could still do fine without cutscenes. They should've put their resources in extending the story mode missions. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
Just now, TheSantader25 said:

R* made a mistake by trying to actually put some sort of story for online. The multiplayer could still do fine without cutscenes. They should've put their resources in extending the story mode missions. 

I agree. Though part of me thinks that developing an online mode for the game took precedence over the story mode. The leaked development log that was found in the PC files for the game indicated that they had been initially working on a Cops N' Crooks style online mode, and this would have basically been GTA Online. But instead, they went with what we have now, and I think it's actually really stupid that Online gets "story" updates with crazy stuff beyond what most people had in mind (flying cars, evil AI, it's like they decided to take a page from Saints Row IV and felt like they had to compete with them) while the single player story that desperately needed something more gets pushed aside. They even said that there would be single player DLC themselves, but it never happened. I think once they saw how much money they could make from selling Shark Cards, they cared about single player a little less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
18 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

I agree. Though part of me thinks that developing an online mode for the game took precedence over the story mode. The leaked development log that was found in the PC files for the game indicated that they had been initially working on a Cops N' Crooks style online mode, and this would have basically been GTA Online. But instead, they went with what we have now, and I think it's actually really stupid that Online gets "story" updates with crazy stuff beyond what most people had in mind (flying cars, evil AI, it's like they decided to take a page from Saints Row IV and felt like they had to compete with them) while the single player story that desperately needed something more gets pushed aside. They even said that there would be single player DLC themselves, but it never happened. I think once they saw how much money they could make from selling Shark Cards, they cared about single player a little less.

I don't think having an online mode like they did was a bad idea. The problem was that they actually wanted to sort of show us that the things we do in online makes sense because it has a story. It's good to have missions, deathmatches,... The way they did but having a story was not needed. People play GTA O to mainly have fun. We can all agree thay the reason for the success of GTA O was not because of the fact that it had a story. Trying to make sense of online and having content that was not present in story mode(like arm wrestling) was benzies's idea. Thankfully he is gone. The IDEA was his and believe the housers are more fans of the story(the reason online didn't change after benzies being gone was because they basically don't have anything to do with it and are working on RDR2 which hopefully shows us R* is back) . I personally enjoyed GTA O from 2013-2015 but trying to have a story for it did hurt the story mode which is not acceptable. Why give us a deluxo that flies in online for 4 million instead of a flying car cheat for SP like we had in SA? 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23
5 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

That happens with other GTA's too. V is the latest victim, so IV is not an exception here. 

I'm fully aware of that, thanks. 

 

The majority of the hate that V gets is because of the Online section of the game. Sure you will find people who felt that the single player didn't live up to expectations, like myself, but Online is where the large majority of the hate is focused. So yes, the hate that IV and V receive have a much different focus.

 

As for III getting the same love as VC or SA, I will stick to my opinion and say absolutely not. Everything I've observed in the last near 20 years, it's not even close.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA-Biker
8 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

It makes it Overrated in my OPINION. 

Well,you know what they say about opinions,they're like assholes,everyone has them and they're all full of sh*t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
10 hours ago, GTA-Biker said:

Well,you know what they say about opinions,they're like assholes,everyone has them and they're all full of sh*t.

That we can agree on. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViceBoy69

Reading the comments posted here i agree with a lot thats been said but honestly i dont think you can rate GTA3 or GTAIV  they where both test games, one for the 3D area and the other for HD, at the time of GTAIV release Benzies said they didnt really know what they where doing and the tried things hoping it would work, same can be said of GTA3 until this game was released all they had done was top down games, going from that to a proper 3D character must have been mind blowing at the time.

So really you cant rate GTA3 or GTAIV as they where milestones in the GTA world

 

And thats what makes GTA5 a poor game they now know what they are doing and still messed it up

Edited by ViceBoy69
added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
10 minutes ago, ViceBoy69 said:

Reading the comments posted here i agree with a lot thats been said but honestly i dont think you can rate GTA3 or GTAIV  they where both test games, one for the 3D area and the other for HD, at the time of GTAIV release Benzies said they didnt really know what they where doing and the tried things hoping it would work, same can be said of GTA3 until this game was released all they had done was top down games, going from that to a proper 3D character must have been mind blowing at the time.

So really you cant rate GTA3 or GTAIV as they where milestones in the GTA world

 

And thats what makes GTA5 a poor game they now know what they are doing and still messed it up

Nope. They still don't know what they are doing. The turn of direction they had from IV to V and from SA to IV really shows they don't know what they want to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0223998743

Well, to me GTA 4 felt they absolutely knew what they were doing. How strange is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
12 minutes ago, anthony said:

Well, to me GTA 4 felt they absolutely knew what they were doing. How strange is it.

To every fan their favorite GTA felt like they knew what they were doing.3 to SA being my case since they improve the same formula from 3 to VC to SA. 

Then they changed the formula in IV then changed it AGAIN in V. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0223998743
36 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

To every fan their favorite GTA felt like they knew what they were doing.3 to SA being my case since they improve the same formula from 3 to VC to SA. 

Then they changed the formula in IV then changed it AGAIN in V. 

I don't know nothing about that, it's just what I felt.

 

 

Edited by anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Lupino
On 1/6/2018 at 5:28 PM, Jack Lupino said:

In this forum

Overrated:

Entire GTA Bore Era(IV,TBOGT,TLAD)

 

Underrated:

GTA Vice City Stories

 

Neverrated:

GTA 3

 

GTA 5 is underrated on GTAF but is beloved in generel so not included in any category

Fixed and updated my old post :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ertan Soner
On 7/3/2018 at 6:31 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Overrated:IV(by miles, i mean 98?really?), TLAD, ONLINE

Underrated:VCS, TBOGT

Yes 98...REALLY. Go cry now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
8 minutes ago, Ertan Soner said:

Yes 98...REALLY. Go cry now.

Really? It's 2018 and you pull the "go cry now" sh*t? By the way please don't reply. I got enough temporary bans this month because of arguing with people like you. So this is over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.